Lucia

Peace be with you!

Today let's pray for something that so many members of the Pray More Novenas community need right now.

Let's pray for healing.

St. Philomena is a great intercessor for those who are sick and suffering. There are many stories of people who attribute their miraculous healing to the intercession of St. Philomena.

Let's pray that St. Philomena will intercede for those who are sick, suffering and in need of healing.

You can post your personal prayer intentions here:

http://www.praymorenovenas.com/st-philomena-novena/#respond

Here are the prayers for today:
Day 2 - The St. Philomena Novena
Dearest St. Philomena, your prayers are powerful because you are so close to Our Lord. Your child-like faith and devotion are an inspiration to all of the faithful. Many miracles have occurred as a result of your intercession. In your closeness to Our Lord, please lift up these my intentions in prayer…

(state your intentions)

St. Philomena, at such a young age, you gave everything to Jesus to become a consecrated virgin for the Kingdom. Giving even more, you gave your life as you suffered a martyr’s death to preserve your gift to our Lord. Pray for me, that I might have the same faith and willingness to accept God’s will no matter the cost.

Amen.

Lucia

Peace be with you!

Yesterday we prayed for healing. Today, let's pray for the strength to endure the trials we each are currently facing in our lives. Let's pray for greater faith during these trials -- that our faith will not fade.

Let's ask St. Philomena to pray for our healing, but that if it is not God's will right now, to pray for us to have the strength to accept His will and to live it out joyfully and faithfully. Here are the prayers for today:
Day 3 - The St. Philomena Novena
Dearest St. Philomena, your prayers are powerful because you are so close to Our Lord. Your child-like faith and devotion are an inspiration to all of the faithful. Many miracles have occurred as a result of your intercession. In your closeness to Our Lord, please lift up these my intentions in prayer…

(state your intentions)

St. Philomena, at such a young age, you gave everything to Jesus to become a consecrated virgin for the Kingdom. Giving even more, you gave your life as you suffered a martyr’s death to preserve your gift to our Lord. Pray for me, that I might have the same faith and willingness to accept God’s will no matter the cost.

Amen.

Galadriel

I think I was late checking my email, but I'm jumping into the St. Philomena novena (I guess I'll be finishing a couple of days after you :) )

Please remember Mr. David Daileden and the Center for Medical Progress in your intentions.

Last edited:

Lucia

We will begin praying this novena August 2nd and her feast day is August 11th.

Find the Original Here: http://www.praymorenovenas.com/st-philomena-novena/#ixzz3hxohRPXj

About St. Philomena

Although very little is known about St. Philomena, devotion to her is widespread. She is known as a powerful intercessor and many saints and popes have had a devotion to her.

For hundreds of years, St. Philomena was entirely unknown, but then in 1802 the bones of a young girl were discovered in the catacomb of St. Priscilla in Rome. The tomb indicated that she was likely a virgin and martyr named Philomena. In 1805 the remains were moved to Mugnano, Italy and there were soon reports of miraculous healings taking place there.

According to catholic.org, “Her popularity soon became widespread, with her most memorable devotees being St. John Vianney, St. Madeleine Sophie Barat, St. Peter Eymard, and St. Peter Chanel. After being miraculously cured, Ven. Pauline Jaricot insisted that Pope Gregory XVI begin an examination for the beatification of St. Philomena, who was to become known as the “wonder worker”. After hundreds of other miraculous cures, she was beatified in 1837. St. Philomena, who the pope named as the Patroness of the Living Rosary and the Patroness of the Children of Mary, is the only person recognized as a saint solely on the basis of her powerful intercession.”

Find the Original Here: http://www.praymorenovenas.com/st-philomena-novena/#ixzz3hxoFhwOM

Lucia

Peace be with you!

Saint Philomena is known as the patron saint of babies and the protectress of the innocent.

So today, let's pray for all unborn babies. Let's pray for their protection, for an end to abortion and for greater respect for the dignity of human life. Here are the prayers for today:
Day 4 - The St. Philomena Novena

(state your intentions)

Amen.

Lucia

Peace be with you!

Today, let's pray for all children -- that they may grow up with great faith and great love. Let's pray for them to never doubt God's love and mercy for them. And finally, let's pray for all children who have fallen away from the faith -- that God may bring about a conversion in their heart. Here are the prayers for today:
Day 5 - The St. Philomena Novena

(state your intentions)

Amen.

Belle Du Jour

Remember, O most gracious Virgin Mary, that never was it known that anyone who fled to thy protection, implored thy help or sought thy intercession was left unaided. Inspired by this confidence, I fly unto thee, O Virgin of virgins, my Mother. To thee do I come, before thee I stand, sinful and sorrowful. O Mother of the Word Incarnate, despise not my petitions, but in thy mercy hear and answer me. Amen. (Repeat 9 times in a row instead of over 9 days)

http://catholicfoodie.com/mother-teresa-of-calcutta-and-the-express-novena

Galadriel

I know one of you ladies provided the info a long time ago, but I'm looking for online stores/vendors/people who sell mantillas (veils) for going to traditional Latin Mass :)

kanozas

se ven las caras pero nunca el corazón
Been slipping up on dates...but here's a novena to St. Edith Stein (Saint Theresa Benedicta of the Cross):

http://www.hebrewcatholic.net/prayer/st-edith-stein-novena/ (9 days under this link)

Novena – Preface
Novena to Saint Teresa Benedicta of the Cross (Edith Stein)

August 1 – August 9
Preface

The novena was composed by Elias Friedman, O.C.D., founder of the Association of Hebrew Catholics (AHC), who recommends it to all devotees of Saint Edith. The most suitable time to observe it would be from August 1 to August 9, in annual remembrance of the days spent by our saintly martyr in the death train, accompanied by her sister, Rosa, and many other Hebrew Catholics, on the way to the gas chambers of Auschwitz-Birkenau.

We present the Novena to the public, hoping thus to further devotion to our holy Carmelite and as a model for Hebrew Catholic’s to imitate. Edith Stein offered herself, like Jesus, our Lord and Messiah, as a victim of expiation for the redemption of her people and of mankind.

May our efforts hasten the day when all Israel shall proclaim:

Blessed is He who comes in the Name of the Lord

(Baruch haba beShem Adonai)

Last edited:

Lucia

Peace be with you!

St. Philomena's tomb indicated that she was likely a martyr.

Today let's pray for the persecuted Church and all of those who are being martyred for their faith. Here are the prayers for today:
Day 6 - The St. Philomena Novena

(state your intentions)

Amen.

Lucia

Peace be with you!

St. Philomena's tomb also indicated that she was likely a virgin.

So today, let's pray for purity and chastity, and greater strength to practice both -- so that we may all grow in perfect love with God. Here are the prayers for today:
Day 7 - The St. Philomena Novena

(state your intentions)

Amen.

Lucia

Peace be with you!

Let's pray today for the conversion of sinners, starting with us. Here are the prayers for today:
Day 8 - The St. Philomena Novena

(state your intentions)

Amen.

Belle Du Jour

Been slipping up on dates...but here's a novena to St. Edith Stein (Saint Theresa Benedicta of the Cross):

http://www.hebrewcatholic.net/prayer/st-edith-stein-novena/ (9 days under this link)

Novena – Preface
Novena to Saint Teresa Benedicta of the Cross (Edith Stein)

August 1 – August 9
Preface

The novena was composed by Elias Friedman, O.C.D., founder of the Association of Hebrew Catholics (AHC), who recommends it to all devotees of Saint Edith. The most suitable time to observe it would be from August 1 to August 9, in annual remembrance of the days spent by our saintly martyr in the death train, accompanied by her sister, Rosa, and many other Hebrew Catholics, on the way to the gas chambers of Auschwitz-Birkenau.

We present the Novena to the public, hoping thus to further devotion to our holy Carmelite and as a model for Hebrew Catholic’s to imitate. Edith Stein offered herself, like Jesus, our Lord and Messiah, as a victim of expiation for the redemption of her people and of mankind.

May our efforts hasten the day when all Israel shall proclaim:

Blessed is He who comes in the Name of the Lord

(Baruch haba beShem Adonai)

I really like this saint :yep:

Belle Du Jour

Our Lady, Undoer of Knots, pray for us.

Lucia

Courtship in the Age of the Pill

• GEORGE SIM JOHNSTON

Turning around the institution of marriage will have to involve the restoration of courtship, albeit not as it was sixty years ago.

There is much discussion these days about the crisis of marriage. Divorce rates are high, too many children live in single-parent homes, people often end up isolated and lonely in middle age. But there is little discussion about courtship. How does one enter marriage? How should a 25 year-old negotiate what is still quaintly called the dating scene?

According to philosopher Leon R. Kass, the reason there is so little discussion about courtship is that "the very terms — 'wooing,' 'courting,' 'suitors' — are archaic; and if the words barely exist, it is because the phenomena have all but disappeared. Today, there are no socially prescribed forms of conduct that help guide young men and women in the direction of matrimony. . .for the great majority, the way to the altar is uncharted territory: It's every couple on their own, without a compass, often without a goal."

This virtual absence of guidelines for courtship is unprecedented. Until recently, society had clear norms governing the "dance" between a man and woman prior to marriage. There are reasons why this is no longer the case, aside from a few exceptions.

First, we live in what Barbara Dafoe Whitehead calls a Divorce Culture. Many young adults have parents who are divorced and so lack both counsel and a compelling model for matrimony. The painful endings of their parents' marriages make them wary of commitment.

Second, there has been a dramatic shift in priorities regarding work and family. People now want financial independence before they think about marriage, whereas their parents (and certainly grandparents) often married before their financial situation was clear. Fifty years ago, young couples expected to scrape by during the early years of marriage, and this often strengthened the relationship.

"If you wait until your 30's," writes Charles Murray, "your marriage is likely to be a merger. If you get married in your 20's, it is likely to be a start-up. . . .What are the advantages of a start-up marriage? For one thing, you will both have memories of your life together when it was all still up in the air. . . .Even more important, you and your spouse will have made your way together. . . .And each of you will know that you wouldn't have become the person you are without the other."

Third, many bachelors are inclined to live out what Kay Hymowitz calls a "postmodern post-adolescence." This state of emotional suspension has been portrayed in sitcoms like "Seinfeld." Young men (and not a few female peers) see no compelling reason to move on to full adulthood; they may not even be sure what the word means.

For men, the delay of adult responsibility is partly explained by the availability of sex with no strings attached. "If the culture offers sexual access and does not require in exchange personal commitment," writes James Q. Wilson, "a lot of men will take the sex every time."

Sex, once reserved for marriage, is now almost an automatic part of dating. This has not clarified thinking or enriched emotions. Casual sex has created a climate of cynicism among young people, who get into the habit of treating members of the opposite sex as a means to an end. To make sex a casual activity is to shrink the meaning of courtship — and therefore of marriage itself.

Modernity puts great emphasis on freedom, but has little to say about how to use that freedom. A case in point is the sexual revolution, which has had a devastating impact on courtship and marriage. As a general matter, it is difficult, at this late date, to claim that the sexual revolution has made people happier. It might be easier to make the opposite case. Consider, for example, the out-of-wedlock birthrate, now over 40 percent in America and the U. K., or the epidemic of STD's.

The sexual revolution was launched by the introduction of the contraceptive pill for women. The Pill was meant to "liberate" women. But it had a number of unforeseen consequences — unforeseen, at any rate, by those who were most vigorous in promoting it.

Modernity puts great emphasis on freedom, but has little to say about how to use that freedom.

The Pill gave men a permission slip to have sex with no responsibility; they could demand it with no concern for the consequences. It became easier for men to treat women as vehicles for pleasure. (Some women responded in kind.) This commodification of physical pleasure evacuated the sexual act of its nuptial meaning. It made men and women look at each other in ways that have little to do with the covenant of permanent self-giving that is marriage.

The Pill also helped create a "hook-up culture" which — as even feminist writers with a liberationist bent like Donna Freitas admit — has caused much pain and frustration, especially among women. It's not hard to see that sexual promiscuity both on campus and afterward has resulted in a lot of men and women entering marriage with a jaded, consumerist attitude toward sex.

The Pill also helped to create a culture of cohabitation prior to marriage. In 1960, the year the Pill was introduced, virtually no couples lived together before marriage. Now 60 percent do. And it turns out that cohabitation is not a helpful entry into marriage. For one thing, it teaches couples low-intensity commitment: separate names and bank accounts, an agreement that "we can split anytime." Many couples discover too late that cohabitation and marriage are not the same thing at all.

Turning around the institution of marriage will have to involve the restoration of courtship, albeit not as it was sixty years ago. A 23 year-old graduate student recently told me that the scenario now is to shack up with a guy who may or may not turn out to be your husband and not think about marriage until about age thirty. Her generation needs to hear why this often is a formula for being miserable by the time they turn fifty.

http://www.catholiceducation.org/en...-topics/courtship-in-the-age-of-the-pill.html

Galadriel

Very interesting and insightful article! I would also add that waiting so long for marriage (in conjunction with having injected one's body with synthetic hormones for so many years via BC) may also lead to run-ins with fertility issues when the couple does marry and try to conceive.

Lucia

Last Day

Peace be with you!

We're almost done! We have one last prayer to pray together tomorrow.

Today, let's pray that we will use whatever gifts God has given each of us to proclaim His goodness, His mercy and love. Let's pray that we may all become evangelists through our words and our actions.

And as we wrap up this novena, if you have any answered prayers, you can share those with all of us here:

http://www.praymorenovenas.com/blog/answered-prayers-from-the-st-philomena-novena-2015/#respondHere are the prayers for today:
Day 9 - The St. Philomena Novena

(state your intentions)

Amen.

Lucia

Very interesting and insightful article! I would also add that waiting so long for marriage (in conjunction with having injected one's body with synthetic hormones for so many years via BC) may also lead to run-ins with fertility issues when the couple does marry and try to conceive.

@Galadriel

Oh you're absolutely right on that
There's a documentary out called the Immortalists and they touch on that but some in the doc ate also old hippie science types that believe that they can outsmart death.
I warn you it gets graphic at one point I stopped when the old hippies started to get naked in the park :barf: I clicked that off button so fast.

Last edited:

Lucia

Peace be with you!

Happy Feast of St. Philomena!
Thank you for joining us in prayer. We hope this novena has helped you grow in your faith -- as St. Philomena is a great example of having great faith, even in dire times.

Now, we would like to close this novena with our final prayer.

Let us pray...

Dear Lord Jesus, I have specific requests that may only partially fill the infinite needs and desires that are in my heart. I ask that You answer me not only for those requests but also for a greater reliance on You to satisfy the needs and desires that You have given me.

Please grant the prayers of all those who prayed this novena with me. Bless them with Your love and make them holy!

May I seek You with a sincere heart knowing that it will profit me nothing if I gain the whole world yet lose my soul.

So, help me to see Your good and gracious purpose in all my trials. Help me to see Your blessings in every day and help me to love You more.

Thank You for everything, Lord Jesus!

Amen.

Lucia

Peace be with you!

This is just a quick reminder that the St. Monica Novena starts on Tuesday - that's tomorrow!

If you haven't yet, please share this novena with your friends and family who can use St. Monica's intercession.