Allandra: and others would you be willing to

Mahalialee4

Post on this board and specifically relate:
# 1. If you used braids (what type); braid back to back, and for how long to get your length? or If you used twists, or rollersetting specifically to get your length? If you went to salons for majority of your hair care and to one person only, or was it an at home plan?
# 2. How long it took you from the start to where you are now? and at what stage if any DID YOU HIT WALLS in your hair growth when you were trying to achieve length?
# 3. What was your growth pattern like? Specifically, did you notice that a. allover over progressive length occurred: b. specific areas and sporadic... fits and starts: c. specific areas appeared almost growth resistant: d. if you started out with layers or bangs or one length: if you were and continue to be a regular, sporadic or radical trimmer or "dusting ends" trimmer and finally, did your hair grow in thicker or thinner all over or in specific areas as it got longer? I think that this would be encouraging to so many of us who do not know what to expect in terms of possible hair phases and growth progress signals. Were there any specific growth indicators you observed? Did your hair ever totally surprise you and throw you for a happy or scary loop? Really looking forwad to a long post of replies. Thank you for the support. Bonjour- Mahalialee

Allandra

1. I did not use braids to grow my hair out. Prior to joining my first hair club (September 2000), I used to get roller sets quite often. I go to the salon every three months for a touch up (same stylist). Otherwise, I do my own hair (roller setting every blue moon and wearing a bun).

2. I had my hair cut to my ear lobes in 1999, and now it's waist length (as of June or July of this year, don't remember the exact month). I don't recall hitting any walls. My hair grows pretty fast.

3. I always kept my hair in blunt cuts. So, I never noticed any different growth patterns in different sections of my hair. My hair is naturally very thick.

HTH.

Armyqt

Allandra I would love to see your hair. It really motivates and inpsires me to know that I can one day achieve that length. If you're not opposed, could u please post a pic. Thanks.

Allandra

Armyqt,

I don't have any current pics. I'm also paranoid about posting pics. However, if I take any pictures any time soon, I could always e-mail one to you. BTW, what's your e-mail address? I'd like to add you to my address book. I'm at allandra_marieATyahooDOTcom. Send me an e-mail girl. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

G

1. i started my challenge in 5/00. i used individual braids from 7/00 - 3/01. i wore them for three months at a time and took 1-2 weeks breaks in between. i didn't get any retouches during that time.

2. it's been 2½ years since i started. i went from shoulder length to bra strap in that time. my hair grows EXTREMELY slow, but fortunately i didn't have any major setbacks. i did have a couple of bouts with shedding but was able to get to the source and correct them.

3. my hair grows much faster in the back. consequently, the hair on the top stops about 4" higher than that at the bottom. i've given up on the blunt cut deciding that my hair looks fuller with the layered look anyway. i only trim about twice a year, only when i think it needs it. i'm against trim schedules FOR ME because i think i'd be cutting off all my progress. my hair has been very predictable other than the shedding and a recent growth spurt with the braids i wore from 7/02 - 9/02. i haven't quite figured out what caused it though...

adrienne

Honey Vibe

The Good Physician
I submitted an entry to this site's journal, and I need to post a picture to go along with it. Be forewarned, it's a teeny weeny afro, but I have high hopes for the future. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Lucia

I had many layers and growth was kind of slow until I got my shorter layers to shoulder I got a blunt cut, then my hair took off.
I took vitamins, and started my "regime" last year. I've been braiding (rows with weave sown over it) off and on like the Crown glory method. The real wall for me was the layers after that it's been going well(thank God) esp. since I make no excuses when it comes to haircare.
I only go to salons to get trimms and styled every 3-6 months mostly I do everything at home.
HTH
Lucia /images/graemlins/grin.gif