Low Porosity Support Thread

faithVA

@mg1979, I have very low porosity hair (it even takes a moment to get 'wet' with water). I have consistently added baking soda to my conditioners for years now, maybe three or so. I find it's the only thing that really lifts the cuticle adequately enough to allow for penetrating moisture. That is how i deep condition. To date, I have had NO ill effects. However, this is just one curly's experience. I know there are many low-po heads that do not care for the alkaline nature of baking soda. Maybe try it and see how your hair responds.

What ratio of baking soda to conditioner do you use mg1979?

And what differences are you noticing between using baking soda with your conditioner versus using the same conditioner alone? tia

faithVA

my hair does well with glycerin when the humidity is high. but as soon as the dewpoint drops, it makes my hair feel crunchy.

I was using Sta Sof Fro on my TWA for years before I even knew what glycerin was or that I should care about humidity :look:

But I wore it year round and I don't remember having a problem, even in 30 degree temperatures. But its spring now so I will ride it out and I will have to pay attention in the winter to see if it is different.

suns4i6e

What ratio of baking soda to conditioner do you use @mg1979?

And what differences are you noticing between using baking soda with your conditioner versus using the same conditioner alone? tia

faithVA,
I think you may be directing the question at me. I honestly don't know the ratio I use, as I don't measure. So bear with me when I say I use a lot of conditioner (at least half a cup) and I shake the baking soda in until it 'looks right' and of course if you haven't done it before that means nothing! :spinning:

I would say anywhere from a teaspoon to a tablespoon (plus or minus a little), and I mix it very well with the conditioner, sit under heating cap, then rinse. I am left with very, very soft, moisturized hair. For me, this is the difference between a rinse out conditioner and a deep conditioning treatment. For example, Trader Joe’s Nourish Spa is a rinse out, detangling conditioner that I love. when I add baking soda and heat, it becomes a deep conditioner for me. It allows the moisture to penetrate better and for me, it lasts. This is something I often find with low porosity heads...it may take a while for the cuticle to be penetrated, but once it is, moisture stays in there. So, I don't moisturize daily as many do. I only moisturize when I wash or co-wash. The next time I do this, I will be mindful to measure what I am doing and let you know. This way perhaps you can adjust to your hair's length and texture, if you want to give it a try.
Just for reference, I do a baking soda conditioning treatment every week to every two weeks.

Hair Stats:
Type - 3C with a lil 4A
Texture - Fine, Cottony
Density - Medium
Length - Close to WL

faithVA

[USER=35313 said:
suns4i6e[/USER];15678790]@faithVA,
I think you may be directing the question at me. I honestly don't know the ratio I use, as I don't measure. So bear with me when I say I use a lot of conditioner (at least half a cup) and I shake the baking soda in until it 'looks right' and of course if you haven't done it before that means nothing! :spinning:

I would say anywhere from a teaspoon to a tablespoon (plus or minus a little), and I mix it very well with the conditioner, sit under heating cap, then rinse. I am left with very, very soft, moisturized hair. For me, this is the difference between a rinse out conditioner and a deep conditioning treatment. For example, Trader Joe’s Nourish Spa is a rinse out, detangling conditioner that I love. when I add baking soda and heat, it becomes a deep conditioner for me. It allows the moisture to penetrate better and for me, it lasts. This is something I often find with low porosity heads...it may take a while for the cuticle to be penetrated, but once it is, moisture stays in there. So, I don't moisturize daily as many do. I only moisturize when I wash or co-wash. The next time I do this, I will be mindful to measure what I am doing and let you know. This way perhaps you can adjust to your hair's length and texture, if you want to give it a try.
Just for reference, I do a baking soda conditioning treatment every week to every two weeks.

Hair Stats:
Type - 3C with a lil 4A
Texture - Fine, Cottony
Density - Medium
Length - Close to WL

Thank you. You are right. I was directing it at you :look: I got all twisted up :lol:

Starting at a tsp is probably a good place to start to make sure the hair is ok with it. I am not sure I am ready to try it but I do like to know what's involved. I would probably add it to my conditioner and check the ph so I can see what is going on.

I like the way my hair feels when I DC with heat but I have never had the result where it would last.

It feels moisturized but I can't seem to keep it. So not sure if its not getting in or if I just can't keep it in.

Ogoma

I have low-porosity hair and what has helped me is rinsing with warm water regularly; using the LOC method with my wet/damp hair being the liquid portion; staying away from butters and heavy oils (light oils like grapeseed, rice bran, and meadowfoam work excellently); staying away from most silicones (even water soluble ones seem to "choke" my hair until it is rinsed out. I am able to handle amodimethicone infrequently); and co-washing frequently.

I have not struggled with dry hair in a long time and if I do it is because I left in a product my hair hates, like honey. A lot of the issues I had with my low porosity hair was because I was not moisturizing it properly. IMO, conditioners do not penetrate hair and the few oils that penetrate hair do so after a period of time. The only thing that effectively penetrates hair is water. I use conditioners to give me the slick feeling not because I think they are penetrating. I massage my hair with warm water to clean it and make sure water gets in my strands. Oil and conditioner, for me, are just to coat my strands and make them shiny.

Steamer: the steam created penetrates my strands and keeps it supple, but I don't need my steamer. A heat cap over a longer period of time does the same thing for me. DCs for me are just coating. I find my hair is fine whether I DC that week or not. Once I get my DC stash to a reasonable level, I am only going to DC when I clarify or do a henna or protein treatment and I want to bring my strands back into balance. Other than that, they do not seem to make a distinguishable difference and are just an added cost.

Last edited:

Coilychi

faithVA said:
Trying out my AVJ/glycerin this morning. Moisturized my hair with AVJ/glycerin and then sealed with a castor oil blend. My hair didn't fuzz. I am hoping that this ratio of AVJ/glycerin works well. The previous ratio held for 2 to 3 days. So this will need to keep my hair moisturized at least until Wednesday to match it.

That mix is killer. Avg+glycerin+castor oil. Gives me moisture for days!!

faithVA

I have low-porosity hair and what has helped me is rinsing with warm water regularly; using the LOC method with my wet/damp hair being the liquid portion; staying away from butters and heavy oils (light oils like grapeseed, rice bran, and meadowfoam work excellently); staying away from most silicones (even water soluble ones seem to "choke" my hair until it is rinsed out. I am able to handle amodimethicone infrequently); and co-washing frequently.

I have not struggled with dry hair in a long time and if I do it is because I left in a product my hair hates, like honey. A lot of the issues I had with my low porosity hair was because I was not moisturizing it properly. IMO, conditioners do not penetrate hair and the few oils that penetrate hair do so after a period of time. The only thing that effectively penetrates hair is water. I use conditioners to give me the slick feeling not because I think they are penetrating. I massage my hair with warm water to clean it and make sure water gets in my strands. Oil and conditioner, for me, are just to coat my strands and make them shiny.

Steamer: the steam created penetrates my strands and keeps it supple, but I don't need my steamer. A heat cap over a longer period of time does the same thing for me.

Thanks for sharing Ogoma. There are a lot of useful suggestions that may help some of the ladies. :yep:

I have had some of the same experiences as you. My hair definitely prefers the lighter oils. Sunflower is so far my favorite.

Honey just makes my hair sticky :lol: Its moisturized but sticky. And I definitely love my heat cap. I never got the steamer to work for me but I haven't completely given up :look:

And I threw out anything with silicones last year. I also can't do anything with wax in it.

Your comments on water are very interesting. It may be useful, especially to those who found steaming effective :yep:

faithVA

[USER=346977 said:
Coilychi[/USER];15679431]That mix is killer. Avg+glycerin+castor oil. Gives me moisture for days!!

So far I am loving the AVJ + glycerin. I am going to have to switch up the castor oil. My fine strains are drowning under the weight :lol:

But I am happy about the moisture :yep:

But its good to know its working for you too. Does your hair absorb the castor oil? I know some hair does.

Coilychi

faithVA said:
So far I am loving the AVJ + glycerin. I am going to have to switch up the castor oil. My fine strains are drowning under the weight :lol:

But I am happy about the moisture :yep:

But its good to know its working for you too. Does your hair absorb the castor oil? I know some hair does.

Not everything. I apply it sparingly on wet/damp hair so that when it dries it isn't too greasy.

mg1979

@faithVA,

Hair Stats:
Type - 3C with a lil 4A
Texture - Fine, Cottony
Density - Medium
Length - Close to WL

@suns4i6e: Thanks for the info. I've been to afraid to try, but in desperation I started saving shed/broken hairs to experiment on. Maybe I'll try it this weekend on the shed hair.

Hello,

This is my first post and I am bit hesitant to reply but I can hear the frustration in your post. I have been natural since Dec 2010 and have yet to meet anyone with hair as dry as mine; I guess I am a 4 a/b type?

I have all the normal low porosity symptoms, hair hard to get wet with water and dries too quick (it was never wet to begin with), if got my hair wet with water and conditioner, my hair stays wet all day. My hair was hard and wiry, product sat on hair, hair floats in water for days. I could not use oil of any type in my hair.

Long Aid Curl Activator has really saved me! Now you might not like the way it feels in your hair, but it works. When I first started using a heavy gel type curl activator I noticed the difference almost at once. When I first went natural my hair had no pattern to speak of and was hard as a brick! As my hair becomes more moisturized it seems to change. Hair that would not clump or curl 6 months ago is now softer and clumps and curls beautifully. Activator is also clear, so no white stuff in your hair!

With my hair, I have noticed the more moisturized it is, the softer it feels and the better my curls form. I realize now, that my hair is not coarse at all it is actually fine, it was just VERY dry. I can get out of the shower now and actually wring some water from my hair and believe me that's a big deal; my hair will accept coconut oil now too. I can now skip a day or two of moisturizing if I want to, though I usually don't. As time goes on, I need less and less product.

I believe that once I build up the moisture in my hair, it will eventually respond to the typical moisturzing products, but I do understand glycerin will ALWAYS have to be in my regimine in some form or another, it's what works for my hair.

I live in VA as well, I think the water filter is a good idea it has helped me. Try the Long Aid for a few weeks and see what happens. When you use the Long Aid, use nothing else in your hair, co-wash as much as you like, but just use the Long Aid in your hair. I suggest tying up your hair with a silk scarf at night as well.

Watch your hair and notice how it begins to feel, at some point you may have to incorporate some type of protein. I now use Joico protein reconstrcutor weekly and my hair loves it.

Good Luck!

I went out in search of the regular blue label Long Aid Gel, since the green label Long Aid Gel for Extra Dry Hair has hydrolyzed collagen and my hair does not like protein. Man, all I could find at Walmart & Walgreen was the green label one. Had to go to an Asian store to find the blue one. Maybe I'll give it a try tomorrow!

faithVA

I knew I messed up by applying the heavy oil to seal but :ohwell: I won't do it again.

I think the moisture from the AVJ/glycerin would have lasted 1 more day but it wasn't as moisturized as I would have liked. So decided to reapply it today without the oil. I will let the oil wear off a bit and then tomorrow or Thursday remoisturize and try again with EVOO.

I hate that I bought all of these heavy oils :lol: But I have learned my lesson.

faithVA

Any of you ladies use honey with your DC? How much honey do you use? and how much of the DC?

I have been afraid to try this because honey can make my hair sticky.

havilland

Magical Mythical Princess
Any of you ladies trying something different this week @mg1979, @shortdub78, @JulietWhiskey, @havilland?

Someone asked about steaming and if it helps. Are any of you ladies using a steamer and finding that it helps?

My experience with the steamer so far is that it didn't work for me. My hair responds better to applying a DC to wet hair and sitting under a heat cap for 20 to 30 minutes.

However, there are some people with low porosity that have had good results with a steamer. If you don't want to purchase a steamer, you can try putting on a plastic cap and wrapping hot towels around your hair. That will give you some idea whether steaming will benefit you or not before investing in one.

One thing to keep in mind is even if we are all low porosity, we will all may have a different degree of porosity issues. And adding that to our hair characteristics can make something fabulous for one and not the other. So others will offer suggestions but you will have to try them out on your own head to see if they work. :yep:

i need to hook up a steamer. i currently do a prepoo with a hot wet turbie towel and a plastic cap as a makeshift steam streatment. works ok, but i am sure a real steamer would be better.

this week i wanted to try the kimmaytube leave in. i made it and applied it yesterday and my hair was a goopy mess. i think castor oil is too heavy for the bulk of my hair, however, my ends still seem moisturized. so i may have to tweak my use of castor oil to just the ends. i'm am not sure.

there is a lot of good info in this thread already. :)

faithVA

i need to hook up a steamer. i currently do a prepoo with a hot wet turbie towel and a plastic cap as a makeshift steam streatment. works ok, but i am sure a real steamer would be better.

this week i wanted to try the kimmaytube leave in. i made it and applied it yesterday and my hair was a goopy mess. i think castor oil is too heavy for the bulk of my hair, however, my ends still seem moisturized. so i may have to tweak my use of castor oil to just the ends. i'm am not sure.

there is a lot of good info in this thread already. :)

If the makeshift steam works, then a steamer may work well for you.

And if you are low porosity, I am not sure castor oil in the leave-in will work. I am not sure any heavy oil will work because it tends to lay on the surface. Kimmay's porosity is normal so the ratios work great for her.

If you decide to try it again you may want to just use light oils and no heavy oils at all. You may also want to reduce the quantity of oil.

faithVA

Any ladies have any success with Kimmay Tube's leave-in or a modification?

I didn't have much success but I'm wondering if the ratios are just off for my hair? I didn't have much success with Knot Today alone or in the recipe. AVJ seems ok. And I know I can't do a heavy oil down the length of my strands :nono:

It would be nice to have a leave-in that took care of all the steps and could be used as a moisturizer later on.

SummerSolstice

If the makeshift steam works, then a steamer may work well for you.

And if you are low porosity, I am not sure castor oil in the leave-in will work. I am not sure any heavy oil will work because it tends to lay on the surface. Kimmay's porosity is normal so the ratios work great for her.

If you decide to try it again you may want to just use light oils and no heavy oils at all. You may also want to reduce the quantity of oil.

I wanted to add, maybe using coconut oil would be better since it penetrates the cuticle...

mamaore

--Share your hair background
I am 4 years relaxed. Almost at APL, a slow grower and not retaining length. I believe my hair has low porosity. Before my HHJ, I always relaxed the legth of my hair every TU and the relaxer would still not take. Right now my hair looked wavy although its relaxed. .

--What symptoms is your hair exhibiting?

Very dry; I have always had dry dry hair. I have not been able to get the breakage under control either as a natural or relaxed head. Breakage from the ends and even mid strand breakage.

--What have you tried that worked?

I stopped almost all protein use in February. I still use the Joico Kpak reconstructor every 2 weeks. Even black tea rinses, chelating shampoos act like protein on my hair. Strong and tangly.:nono:

I now apply LI's on sopping wet hair in the shower. This really helped in keeping the mositure in my hair for longer.

I only wash with warm water and not cold water.

I now use a steamer and I am happy I purchased one. My DC's just sat on my hair no matter how long I left it on. But now:lick:.

I made a home made spritz - AVJ, Distilled water and a glob of AOHSR. I apply this as a refresher/ moisturizer before applying any other mositurizer.
:yep:

Washing my hair twice a week does wonders. However, I have been lazy in the last 2 weeks because I am scared of detangling because I am 10 weeks post.

--What have you tried that did not work?

ACVs, PC, Shea butter or other heavy butters
Consistency of my moisturizers matter, solid products are a pain to apply and just sit on my hair.
Overnight deep condition did not hing for me.
Still on the fence on baggying

--What questions do you have?

How do I deal with the breakage.

I need styling help but I digress

There are a lot of great suggestions on the board. But putting them together in a way that works for our hair is a journey. And what works for one low porosity head may have to be modified for another. But let's share what we can and see if we can make our lives a little easier or at least help each other from going crazy. :yep:

I am currently experimenting with a few conditioners from BeeMine, Darcy's and Oyin and trying to identify which ingredients work for my hair.

Thanks for starting this thread. I definitely have lots to learn here.

mamaore

Oils:
I have had success with JBCO but a little goes a long way. I use it on my scalp and on my ends and edges.

Grapeseed oil is very light and penetrating.

I always spritz my hair with my homemade leavein before I apply any oil to my hair or else its grease city.

faithVA

I am currently experimenting with a few conditioners from BeeMine, Darcy's and Oyin and trying to identify which ingredients work for my hair.

Thanks for starting this thread. I definitely have lots to learn here.

Welcome mamaore,

It seems as if you have learned a lot and are applying some good things.

I have had a similar experience where many things act like protein in my hair. And my hair was dry when I was relaxed. Probably the only thing

What is PC?

Have you tried glycerin at all to try to provide more moisture?

For my hair, my breakage comes primarily from not being able to retain adequate moisture in my hair. So it remains brittle and it breaks.
Even if I'm gentle with my hair it breaks when its brittle.

faithVA

Here is a tip I have found for heavy products. If you have a heavy product like Shea butter, Shea Moisture Smoothie, AO Honey Suckle Rose or anything else you find just sits on your hair or turns your hair white, you can break down the consistency of that product with some oil.

For example, I will take each oz of Shea Moisture Smoothie and mix it with an equal amount of oil and it works on my hair just fine. It no longer leaves my hair white or greasy.

When doing this you want to use a light oil. My favorite is Sunflower oil. Grapeseed oil is also very nice. EVOO is a little heavier so I'm not sure about this. And coconut oil is light but for some of us, it may act like a protein so you have to know how your hair responds to protein.

So before throwing something out, trying breaking it down with a light oil or combination of oils and see if it works better for you.

Ogoma

faithVA said:
Any of you ladies use honey with your DC? How much honey do you use? and how much of the DC?

I have been afraid to try this because honey can make my hair sticky.

l used to use a tablespoon of honey in my pre-poo, but I got tired of all the mixing and only use stuff I can layer now :lol:. I don't want to play around with trying to layer honey :nono:

Rikinkkulus

I've been fully natural for a year and one month. My hair is SL. When I was transitioning I had a load of banging things I did with my hair, I used coconut milk and my hair was swangin'. I did hot oil treatments. Deep conditioning with molasses and honey that changed the color of my hair. Protein treatments that worked to the point I could actually feel my hair get stronger.

My hair was wonderful with products and now, it's just not. Nothing penetrates. I put an egg in my hair, my hair doesn't accept it. Coconut milk helped my drain more than my hair. I deep conditioned over night, and nothing happened. My two hour conditioning treatment with avocado did more. AVJ + glycerin on my scalp with my braids softens it up nice but I feel like my hair won't accept anything I need it to. I haven't gotten the stiff feeling from a protein treatment at all. My hair will take moisture and keep it in for days, but when I flat iron I see heat damage immediately. I think it has to do with my protein. I'm at a loss.

Avocado hair souffle that I made myself, elasta qp mango butter moisturizes my hair, and is the ONLY thing that will, I seal but I don't think that works much at all unless it's raw shea butter or Carol's daughter hair balm. Dove intensive repair conditioner is the only rinse out conditioner that penetrates.

Eggs. Sealing with jojoba oil. Honey. Heat. Deep conditioning, but I think I use the wrong products. Protein WILL NOT get in. I clarified. And yet nothing.

How can I keep this heat damage from happening? What does it have to do with me being low porosity? I didn't cut the hair that lost it's curl pattern, I don't believe it's truly damaged, but that it's a protein problem. Do I need to use a steamer for the rest of my life? Am I using the right moisturizers? Lord, help me.

faithVA

[USER=133817 said:
Rikinkkulus[/USER];15703315]--Share your hair background
I've been fully natural for a year and one month. My hair is SL. When I was transitioning I had a load of banging things I did with my hair, I used coconut milk and my hair was swangin'. I did hot oil treatments. Deep conditioning with molasses and honey that changed the color of my hair. Protein treatments that worked to the point I could actually feel my hair get stronger.

My hair was wonderful with products and now, it's just not. Nothing penetrates. I put an egg in my hair, my hair doesn't accept it. Coconut milk helped my drain more than my hair. I deep conditioned over night, and nothing happened. My two hour conditioning treatment with avocado did more. AVJ + glycerin on my scalp with my braids softens it up nice but I feel like my hair won't accept anything I need it to. I haven't gotten the stiff feeling from a protein treatment at all. My hair will take moisture and keep it in for days, but when I flat iron I see heat damage immediately. I think it has to do with my protein. I'm at a loss.

Avocado hair souffle that I made myself, elasta qp mango butter moisturizes my hair, and is the ONLY thing that will, I seal but I don't think that works much at all unless it's raw shea butter or Carol's daughter hair balm. Dove intensive repair conditioner is the only rinse out conditioner that penetrates.

Eggs. Sealing with jojoba oil. Honey. Heat. Deep conditioning, but I think I use the wrong products. Protein WILL NOT get in. I clarified. And yet nothing.

How can I keep this heat damage from happening? What does it have to do with me being low porosity? I didn't cut the hair that lost it's curl pattern, I don't believe it's truly damaged, but that it's a protein problem. Do I need to use a steamer for the rest of my life? Am I using the right moisturizers? Lord, help me.

Well it doesn't sound all bad. You say you can get moisture into your hair and hold it for days. That's a plus. Tell us a little more about your wash day regimen and your pre-straightening regimen. Maybe we can tell a bit more from that.

Evolving78

I didn't have much success but I'm wondering if the ratios are just off for my hair? I didn't have much success with Knot Today alone or in the recipe. AVJ seems ok. And I know I can't do a heavy oil down the length of my strands :nono:

It would be nice to have a leave-in that took care of all the steps and could be used as a moisturizer later on.

no that stuff was the devil! it made my hair feel like straw. AVJ doesn't work well for me. it is acidic, i need something with a higher PH

faithVA

no that stuff was the devil! it made my hair feel like straw. AVJ doesn't work well for me. it is acidic, i need something with a higher PH

Yes that was about the same result I had. I haven't decided about the AVJ yet but I guess I will know something in the next few weeks. I haven't figured out what works well yet.

blackeyes31626

I tried KT's leave-in w/ Kinky curly and the giovanni leave-in. I think it almost worked, either I needed more or less oil or or a different conditioner. I don't know apparently I am not good at mixing.lol

I've tried the homemade spritz recipes and they never kept my hair moisturized so I gave up. Oyin juices mixed w/ water works pretty well though.

faithVA

I tried KT's leave-in w/ Kinky curly and the giovanni leave-in. I think it almost worked, either I needed more or less oil or or a different conditioner. I don't know apparently I am not good at mixing.lol

I've tried the homemade spritz recipes and they never kept my hair moisturized so I gave up. Oyin juices mixed w/ water works pretty well though.

Thanks blackeyes31626. I think it takes a lot more to mix for low porosity. So I understand it was hard to get the mix right. I have been trying for months.

I shall not be defeated :lol:

Rikinkkulus

Well it doesn't sound all bad. You say you can get moisture into your hair and hold it for days. That's a plus. Tell us a little more about your wash day regimen and your pre-straightening regimen. Maybe we can tell a bit more from that.

Wash Day:
My wash days are usually after taking out my braids. When I take out the braids I spritz with water, AVG, jojoba, lavender and rosemary oils, and glycerin. I detangle, braid into big sections and then wash. I apply L'oreal sulfate-free everstrong shampoo, applied to my scalp mostly, and I do this twice for each section. I air-dry in sections and when my hair is damp I apply elasta qp mango butter, seal with jojoba oil. Then I style, be it a braid out, you know, whatever.

Straightening
I don't have anything perfect I do here. I deep condition the night before with almost anything that has moisture that I can grab. I did the relaxer method with coconut milk the last time. I blow dry after the wash, on low with the comb attachment. I put in chi silk infusion (not the relaxer method that people do, i put some in my hand and massage it through each of the aforementioned sections, I don't like when my hair gets sticky but I guess that only happened when my hair was relaxed) and I flat iron with my her styler. I never do more than two passes, and I bump under. My ends are kind of crispy but that would be because I don't use the chase method. That's pretty much it. The last time I did this the back of my hair fared much better than the front and sides. And when I washed my hair, it took a bit to revert, for the water to reach my entire head, etc. And my sides and front had straightened out but didn't have the burned smell that I had experienced before.

I tried everything to revert. Deep conditioned. Nothing. Avocado butter thing that I made, which made my curls very nicely defined but did nothing for the rest of my hair. that was my third attempt, and the rest of my hair felt so nice, I was done. When I get home from college my last attempt will be the aphogee two-step reconstructor or whatever it is. If that doesn't work, I might just relax. I cannot do this anymore every single time I approach heat when I'm so diligent and protective style for a full year. I'm not losing my edges over this. Sigh. I'm so tired, you know? If it wasn't for the porosity test (my hair...never sank) I would be lost for why this is happening. Not to mention I clarified. Nothing.

MaraWithLove

Natural, dense and coarse, 4s and 3s
1. Takes a long time to truly feel 'soaked'
2. Takes forever to dry all the way even though my hair is only NL at the longest
3. Does not do well with certain moisturizers unless hair is wet
4. Detangling is so hectic when done thoroughly
5. Goes with the 4th one: any 'slip' in conditioners doesn't seem to last long,
better luck with oil.
6. Easy for next day hair to feel 'parched' unless it's in individual braids/twists or has been baggied

My hair loves conditioner in general-even the cheapies-more than moisturizer
Light, watery moisturizer followed by something thicker and creamy
Butters (ends only, full length only when braiding)
Thick Oils for sealing and rinsing
Keeping a spray bottle handy
Ayurvedic DC with hibiscus = moisture
Baggying while DC'ing

Protein? My hair can only take so much
Cones: build-up easily and my hair starts acting up
Buttery products as moisturizers
Dry DC'ing

I'll have to think upon this one

faithVA

[USER=133817 said:
Rikinkkulus[/USER];15707879]Wash Day:
My wash days are usually after taking out my braids. When I take out the braids I spritz with water, AVG, jojoba, lavender and rosemary oils, and glycerin. I detangle, braid into big sections and then wash. I apply L'oreal sulfate-free everstrong shampoo, applied to my scalp mostly, and I do this twice for each section. I air-dry in sections and when my hair is damp I apply elasta qp mango butter, seal with jojoba oil. Then I style, be it a braid out, you know, whatever.

Straightening
I don't have anything perfect I do here. I deep condition the night before with almost anything that has moisture that I can grab. I did the relaxer method with coconut milk the last time. I blow dry after the wash, on low with the comb attachment. I put in chi silk infusion (not the relaxer method that people do, i put some in my hand and massage it through each of the aforementioned sections, I don't like when my hair gets sticky but I guess that only happened when my hair was relaxed) and I flat iron with my her styler. I never do more than two passes, and I bump under. My ends are kind of crispy but that would be because I don't use the chase method. That's pretty much it. The last time I did this the back of my hair fared much better than the front and sides. And when I washed my hair, it took a bit to revert, for the water to reach my entire head, etc. And my sides and front had straightened out but didn't have the burned smell that I had experienced before.

I tried everything to revert. Deep conditioned. Nothing. Avocado butter thing that I made, which made my curls very nicely defined but did nothing for the rest of my hair. that was my third attempt, and the rest of my hair felt so nice, I was done. When I get home from college my last attempt will be the aphogee two-step reconstructor or whatever it is. If that doesn't work, I might just relax. I cannot do this anymore every single time I approach heat when I'm so diligent and protective style for a full year. I'm not losing my edges over this. Sigh. I'm so tired, you know? If it wasn't for the porosity test (my hair...never sank) I would be lost for why this is happening. Not to mention I clarified. Nothing.

I am not an expert on heat but from your description it sounds like you don't have nearly enough moisture in your hair to start. You aren't DCing when you wash. I don't even see mention of using a rinse out conditioner. And you are shampooing twice but not conditioning?

And when you apply heat, you mentioned DCing with something moisturizing but you didn't give an example. But then you mentioned coconut milk which would act more like a protein DC and not a moisturizing DC. What moisturizing DC did you use before applying heat last time? And how long did you leave it on?

And it seems like you applied a heat protectant before you blow dried but not before you flat ironed.

You may want to read some of the threads about naturals using heat. I am not sure your issues are purely related to low porosity, I think it may be that your regimen is not complete enough for heat. Many ladies are doing far more moisturizing than you to prevent heat damage.

But definitely try the aphogee when you get home.