IN SEARCH OF SHINY HAIR-DESPERATE

NayNay

I have noticed a lot of u Ladiezz have a Wonderful Wonderful sheen to your hair. I am trying to find the right products or procedures to achieve hair sheen! Do u have any advice??? I use BreakThru or Creme of Nature Shampoo 1x weekly. (Did my 1st conditioner wash this week-no gold star but hair is softer) I then do a hot oil treatment with olive oil and deep condition with anything from CPR, to a reconstructor, to BreakThru to Mizani-depending on my hair needs. I treat my hair daily with oils and leave in liquid conditioner. My hair is longer than my shoulders and similiar in appearance, color (maybe little browner),texture, and thickness to Armyqt. I have cut HEAT out of my regiment all together (Caruso steam rollers for curls) I also use no gels or setting lotions, but I use Proclaim Luster oil and carrot oil for sheen. I get sheen, but alas I commute to NYC and this means being outside in the elements. The elements make my hair fuzzy, shrinkage occurs (relaxers every 3 months) and I lose curl and sheen during the commute. What I look like leaving the house is NOT how I end up looking like at work! A lot days I just put the hair up and say forget it-however this doesnt even help the sheen or hair condition! Today is a perfect example I was shiny and bouncing and by the time I got to work I looked like a wet dog! (Do u think I can wear my satin cap into work and no one notice? SMILE) When I put heat in my hair (blow dryer, curling iron, wet sets under dryers with gels, Dominican blowouts) my hair can withstand the elements and looks fine. I don't want to incorporate HEAT into my regimen and am trying to figure this out! My wet sets of course are okay I get more body with air drying-the hairdresser on the other hand does wonders with my hair and she tells me all the time that my hair is VERY EASY to manipulate...well 4 her but not me. My relaxer hairdresser lives in another state-long story due to prior damage by other stylists and I do trust others to wash & set. But am I doomed to go to a hairdresser all the time...I was trying to avoid that since THEY LOVE HEAT! WHAT IS A SISTA to do? Can u recommend some products and some type of regimen? Am I doomed to wear a scarf over my head for sheen? It doesnt help that I am not a good STYLER! HELP Me!!!!!!! /images/graemlins/crazy.gif IN SEARCH OF SHINY HAIR

Tea

I think a lot of the ladies here have been taking silica, evening primrose and/or flaxseed oil and that helps increase the shine of new growth. As far as a topical kind of thing I know WGO & jojoba add somewhat of a shine to my hair without weighting it down. HTH.

Kitkat

Tea's suggestions of silica and WGO are great ones. BIG UP FOR WGO!!! That stuff is great, and I love it.

Maybe your hair is looking for more moisture. About the carrot oil that you use: are you using the oil or creme form? It looks as though you use a lot of oils, but some oils aren't the greatest in penetrating the hair shaft and moisturizing well (with the exception of WGO, of course! /images/graemlins/grin.gif). Perhaps you want to add a creme or two to your regimen that will moisturize without being too heavy. I also use ORS Carrot Oil, but I use the creme version. My hairdresser also recommended a shea butter pomade which is really great because it's much lighter than the heavy form of shea butter.

I hope this helps.

notsomebody

Try this:

Mix one teaspoon of honey and as much olive oil as you want into an application of your favorite conditioner. Honey and Olive oil are great for giving shine.

Also, when you do your final rinse out, you should use cold water. It will close the cuticle on your hair and that's what gives your hair shine. It also has the benefit of helping your hair lay down straighter.

This combined with the supplements and the oils recommended in the previous post should help your shine last a lot longer.

NayNay

Thanks Ladiezz! I guess I neglected to also mention that I just started taking vitamins-an oil pill with all 3 of the Essential Omega Acids and Ultra Nourishair.
My hair CAN SAP up oil! I use ORS shea butter, BB castor oil cream moisturizer, and wildgrowth as well. In the past I use to sit under the dryer with pure coconut oil (the hardened white kind) and that helped-maybe I should try that again once or 2x weekly. Perhaps u are right my hair is screaming for moisture-it SOAKS up any humidity! Does anyone have a GREAT Cream moisturizer they could recommend????? Should I continue the second condition wash for the added moisture?
Thanks for pointing that out!!!! Good call Kitkat and notsomebody!!!!! MUCH APPRECIATED Does anyone have a GREAT Cream moisturizer they could recommend?????

notsomebody

Another thing that may be helpful. I wear my scarf on the way to work. I take it off once I get in the building. You can get a way with this easily since its cold, and people assume you are just trying to stay warm. Also, if its just a means of protecting your hair from the elements, why not wear a rain bonnet on the way in? I see caucasion women who do this all the time and no one bats an eye.

pebbles

Hi NayNay,

Welcome to the board! I use a product sold by Cathy Howes called Dew. It's expensive, so I tend not to recommend it because I don't know if people are on a strict budget or not. But if you want shine, that product is incredible. The more you use it, the shinier the hair gets, it's excellent!!!!! The 8oz bottle is $10, the 16oz bottle is $18. If you're up to it, give it a try. You will not be disappointed. /images/graemlins/smile.gif If your hair is pressed, you can't use it too much because it will revert your hair. But for natural and relaxed hair, it's great! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

ART11

The ladies here hate it but I use Nexxus Humectress at least twice a day and it has completely reformed my hair. I have a beautiful sheen and use no oil at all.

pebbles

NayNay, I forgot to add that Cathy Howes makes a great conditioner as well, also expensive. But when you use it, it gives your scalp a cool,tingling feeling. I absolutely love it!! It's for deep conditioning, excellent! I use her conditioner or Nexxus Humectress, another excellent conditioner. pricey as well.

ART11

I forgot to add, I use the generic Humectress from Sallys and the price is extremely reasonable. I forgot how much but I am sure it was less than $5.

Armyqt

NayNay, Tracy recommends a product called Sebastians Colourshines. It's a rinse that comes in different colors, but they also make a clear. This stuff imparts an incredible shine on your hair. If you check out brownrelaxedhair's album, she posted some pics of her results. Her hair looks fabulous! Also if you do a search on "cellophanes" or "colourshines", you can read those threads. This stuff is supposed to be very conditioning to your hair, helping to reduce breakage and split ends. Tracy uses it about 1x per month. I ordered mine and will be applying soon!! HTH /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Jaquai

hello the colourshines are a good idea although i didnt have much luck with it. it made my hair feel soft and conditioned but no shine. but alot of people have good luck with it. by the way a bottle is up for auction on ebay right now in case anyone is interested. others to try are clairol radiance colorgloss in clear or color and jazzing in clear.
you could also try some of the glossing oils,sprays, and serums. they have so many in the beauty supply store im sure you could find one that is good
hope this helps /images/graemlins/smile.gif