PAGING TRACY!!! Hair Dye question...

nicky

Hey Tracy!

I've been thinking about lightening my hair or getting some highlights. Right now my hair is a medium brown with some natural light brown highlights... oh and I have a very RED undertone because my daddy was a true red head (like almost ORANGE!).

I've dyed my hair before-- lots of times between the age of 16 and 25 but I was never as worried about keeping it healthy because it grew so quick that it didn't worry me to have to cut it off and start again...

So, before I decide, I wanted you to give me the low down on keeping your hair healthy after you dye it... ESPECIALLY if I dye it very light... the color you describe your hair without a rinse sounds close to the color I'm thinking of...

Anyway, advice appreciated!

Thanks.

nicky

Tracy

Wow - it's been such a journey, let me see if I can recount what I've learned for you...

When I first did my color over highlights AND a relaxer /images/graemlins/ooo.gif /images/graemlins/crazy.gif I was pertified. But like you, I was prepared to just cut if I ruined it. What helped me most was really paying attention to my hair and giving it what it needed. What I needed, at first, was a lot of moisture - to restore the moisture balance in my hair. I wear my hair down most of the time so greasless moisture was key. I used a wonderful color conditioner by L'Oreal - Feria Color Moisturizing Conditioner and Fantasia Cream Moisturising Treatment with Aloe for the first 8 weeks post color. That did the trick, along with ensuring that I always applied jojoba oil or a shine serum to my hair before combing to waylay any breakage from the inital dryness. I also waited <font color="purple"> 8 FULL WEEKS </font color> after the color to relax (and I was already 5 weeks post touch up. Be ready to extand your touch up time - at least the one right after the color. The order of operations is to relax then color. I did that and stretched the times out to make sure there was minimal damage from the order.

I made sure to relax only with a mild relaxer. Once I had restored some of the moisture balance to my hair, I began realising that it needed some strength - it started to get hard to hold a curl in my hair - even wet sets turned out a little more limp than I liked - so realizing that soft feeling, limp hair either was as a result of build up (which I knew I didn't have) or the integrity - the very strength of the hair being compromised and resulting in hair that was too "soft" - I stocked up on some protein treatments. Jherri Rhedding's Protein Pac, Infusium Power Pac, and Bone Marrow became mainstays, which I would follow with a moisture treatment. Any rinse out moisturizing conditioner you like will do for this. Detangling ability is of paramount importance to me and was doubly so after my color. Minimizes pulling leading to breakage. I liked Pantene's Daily Moisture Renewal Conditioner for this, so that's what I used. I also liked Elucence at one point, Keracare, Salon Selectives Serious Recovery and Herbal Essences Intensive Conditioning Balm (I know I've screwed up some of these names I hope you are familiar with them - if not let me know and I'll try to track them down.).

Then - as always - I picked a Sebastian Colorshine Rinse in a complementary color to the one I ended up with and used that to help seal and smooth the cuticle of my hair (even before my next relaxer). I really believe this was instrumental in my keeping my hair healthy and shining with all the damage that was possible from relaxing and coloring. Everyone here knows I am a huge proponent of this product to protect not only colored hair - but any hair. Just ask around. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

In addition - at Valleygirl's recommendation - I selected what turned out to be a very gentle color - Textures and Tones - and that I believe caused far less damage than the other scores of color brands I'd used in the past. I truly believe that as far as permanent color goes, it's the gentlest on the market for black hair. Still permanent color, if you know what I mean, but the hair wasn't ravaged and dry looking. The level of care that followed also assisted in creating what was overall a very enjoyable coloring experience.

Be sure to let me know what you decide and ask away - whatever I can help with I will. /images/graemlins/smile.gif Shades are a bit difficult to recommend because your natural color, undertone and how your hair responds to color is key in the selection process. The only thing I can recommend in this regard is given your red undertone - unless you are going red or don't mind a brassy tone - select a color that has one of these "color boosters" that takes you through the red stages minus the brass. T&amp;T has this with their blonds. You simply mix it into the formulation when you color. It comes in the box.

Good luck nena!