CHI Silk Infusion, aint nothing like the real thing!

silkii_locks

Hey Ladies,

I really, really luv CHI Silk Infusion, but I'm not so keen on the price. So after reading so many rave reviews, I thought I had found a way to save a few bucks and still get the benefits of my beloved chi. So I bought the GVP silk remedy from Sally's, which is the generic CHI silk infusion for those who don't know.

I've had it now for about 6 months, the ingredients are exactly the same as the original, color and fragrance everything but when I poured it into my hand the consistency just didn't feel right. It seemed heavier and almost sticky like. So I kind of brushed it off and went ahead and used about a quater sized amount as I would with the original chi.

After my hair was dried it was stiff as a board, weighed down and felt like I had just used honey or syrup in it! I had to re-wash and start over.:wallbash:
So after reading some more reviews on it I found that most of the ladies use a lot less because it is thicker.

Well I tried that too and it still just did not impress me, so I threw it to the back of my stash bin and started using other cheaper serums, but I could still hear my silk infusion calling out to me, so today I finally broke down and bought a 6 oz bottle of it from CVS for $23 bucks!

But ladies let me tell you, it's all worth it. I could feel the difference as soon as I poured it into my hands. I know GVP has the exact same ingredients but the consistencies are totally different. The GVP is heavy and sticky and the orignal is light and absorbs quickly. How is it possible to have two products with the exact same ingredients but yet they're still so different?

For those who have the GVP and have never tried the original, please try it. Maybe I just got a bad bottle or something, but from my experience there truly is nothing like the real thing. :yep:

KPH

House Head
next time try marshalls and tj maxx because i found it there for $14.99. agreed, there is no substitute

silkii_locks

next time try marshalls and tj maxx because i found it there for $14.99. agreed, there is no substitute

I will have to try them. My original plan was to go to trade secret and get it but I was being lazy today and didn't feel like walking thru the mall. LOL

LABETT

I dont even think about buying the knock off Sally Version,I buy it when JC Penny put it on sale for $6.97,the combo set with shampoo and conditioner,glad many people in my area are not hooked on CHI. :yep:
I have seen it at TJ Max the 12oz size for $19.95.

Last edited:

Natural Glow

Hmm...that's weird. I just bought some of the generic and it was fine. It wasn't thick at all. It was just like the original. At least i think it was :confused: My hair turned out the same too. I think I still have a little of the original left so i'm gonna compare the two.

silkii_locks

Hmm...that's weird. I just bought some of the generic and it was fine. It wasn't thick at all. It was just like the original. At least i think it was :confused: My hair turned out the same too. I think I still have a little of the original left so i'm gonna compare the two.

See, that's why I said maybe I got a bad bottle because a lot of people love the GVP and can't tell the difference. Mine is very thick and sticky. It's weird. :perplexed

I think I'm gonna pour a little of both versions out and try to post some pics.

iNicola

Marshalls and TJ Maxx have the large bottle for $19.99:spinning:.
Yup, I got the 12oz for $19.99 from Marshals last week, right place at the right time. When I bought my first bottle I got it from Amazon, $12 for the 6oz, two day shipping wasn't too long of a wait.

babyhurr4

You're right OP, I have both versions, the knock off and the original and the original beats the knock off by far! THe GVP version is exactly like you described it, thick and heavy in consistency. The Chi is much more slippery, thinner in consistency and goes on lighter compared to the GVP version. I just think that it is a matter of personal preference when it comes to people liking one over the other....but I agree with you....there is nothing like the real McCoy. Could the real Chi please stand up?

Essensual

I've never used the original so I don't anything to compare the GVP to. Silkii I will take all donations.LOL! Anywho, check your local Wal-Mart because I think I saw the original there for under $20 as well. HTH.

HeavenlySkies

Trying to find it at Marshalls, Nordstroms Rack, or TJ Maxx is like a finding a needle in a haystack. I just get the big bottle for $25 here and call it a day.

back2relaxed

My Marshall's seems to always have it..and usually the shampoo and conditioner as well. I bought the small bottle a month ago for about 7.99 at Marshalls. But you can usually get a coupon from JCPenney as well! Like pp stated...right place, right time. I hadn't used Chi for a long while, probably 2 years, but I'm glad I revisited it...it definitely makes a big difference with sets and flat ironing.

Jas123

The Star of a Story
makes me glad when i stocked up on it.... JCP had it on sale a couple of years ago in a christmas gift bag sale.. i think i paid about 10 or 11 dollars for the 6oz size including the heat guard and something other stuff i didn't use. I bought 4 and gave 1 to my mom. I think i even posted here to let other ladies know because the sale was so incredible.. i still have 2 1/2 left as i don't use it often

Mena

I finally broke down and bought it today after using 'others.' This is the best my hair has ever looked after pressing. I just need to get my hair a wee bit more shiny.