My first experience with SILK ELEMENTS MILD RELAXER!

I just want to say that I used this relaxer 2 weeks ago and I love it. The only caution I have is that it works fast. I used the mild forumula to texlax and my hair is straight. It only took about 15 minutes to straighten my inch and a half of newgrowth. It is my fault b/c I was previously using vitale and no matter how long I left it on my hair, it would come out so underprocessed. So I didn't work as fast as I should have with the silk elements.

But even though my hair is straight, it feels strong and healthy. I've washed twice since my relaxer and my hair is still silky!

morehairplease

Ladies do you have pics of the relaxer, by chance? I don't see it on the sally's site and have tried goggling for images and having no luck.

Crystalicequeen123

Ladies do you have pics of the relaxer, by chance? I don't see it on the sally's site and have tried goggling for images and having no luck.

Hey,

the one I had my stylist use on me looks like this:

Hope that helps! Mine had shea butter in it too! :grin:

tapioca_pudding

I've been using the Regular SE and I LOVE the results.. but it left me a bit *too* straight, even with adding some oil. So this go round I'm going to use the Mild and leave it in a bit longer. :)

Crystalicequeen123

Okay...

As promised, I will give an update on how this Silk Elements relaxer feels on my hair after at least 2 weeks post.

Well...so far, not TOO bad. My hair is noticeably thicker (especially along the edges), and I like that! :up: The relaxer that I swore by before and usually used on my hair was the Design Essentials Mild w/shea butter. But when my stylist didn't have that in stock, I decided to try the Silk Elements MILD w/shea butter. (My touch-up review with this relaxer is the original post on this thread)

Anyway, after about two or three weeks post of this relaxer, my hair (or my roots I shall say) don't even look like I got a relaxer! :eek: Unfortunately, during my touchup I was soo worried about using a new relaxer I had never used before that I had my stylist rinse the relaxer out of my head at 15 min. I didn't even let her keep it in my hair for the full 20 minutes, so the front part of my head on the left side is quite UNDERprocessed. :ohwell: I don't mind it too too much, but it is making it hard to do rollersets. Just last week I got a rollerset, and although it came out looking nice, I noticed that my hair has looked like it reverted. :look: A lot of hair came out in the rat tail comb while she was doing my rollerset. :nono: Is this a BAD thing??

My stylist suggested doing a "corrective" relaxer, but I'm scared to death! My hair is already fine-textured to begin with. What do you ladies think I should do? Should I leave it alone and hope and pray that my hair will be okay after 14 weeks post? Or, should I do a corrective relaxer on the front part in order to make it straighter??

I think I will try this Silk Elements MILD relaxer one more time for my next touchup, and have her leave it in my hair at least 20 minutes, and see if I like the results a little better. I still want my hair to have the thickness, but for her to have enough time to straighten/smooth the front part of my roots so I don't lose hair in the process.

**Here are some pictures of what my hair looked like with the rollerset last week. Overall, I LOVE the thickness my hair is getting!!

Look at how THICK my roots are at just 2 weeks post!!! :eek:

My Nape

My Roller Set 10.10.08

BlondeByDesire

I've been using Silk Elements for almost a year now (Mild) formula - actually I got the idea for Eisani. I have the 5lb. tub. So far so good. It is very gentle. Mild works for me because my hair is colored and it does the trick. I self relax and I think I underprocessed my own hair because earlier this year I did a long stretch about 18 weeks and I didn't get all of the new growth - so I have a section of hair in the middle part of the length that's not processed correctly - I will be correcting that next week when I relax. Right now I'm 12 weeks post and doing fine.

Last edited:

Crystalicequeen123

I've been using Silk Elements for almost a year now (Mild) formula - actually I got the idea for Eisani. I have the 5lb. tub. So far so good. It is very gentle. Mild works for me because my hair is colored and it does the trick. I self relax and I think I underprocessed my own hair because earlier this year I did a long stretch about 18 weeks and I didn't get all of the new growth - so I have a section of hair in the middle part of the length that's not processed correctly - I will be correcting that next week when I relax. Right now I'm 12 weeks post and doing fine.

Well, I'm glad to see that this relaxer is working for you. :up:

For me?? Ummm...not so much... :ohwell:

Each rollerset that I get gets more and more UNbearable. My stylist can barely get the rat-tooth comb through my roots so that my rollersets will be nice and straight. :nono: I'm hearing hair snapping and breaking through the comb. She swears that she's not ripping into my hair, but... IDK, it just sounds like it. :(

My hair feels a bit thicker (except at the ends) so that's a good thing, but I don't like how just after 4 weeks of this relaxer and I look like I haven't even had a touch-up!! :crying3: I was going to give it another chance and leave it on longer for my next touch up, but I'm starting to re-think that decision.

Right now, I just want my hair to be straighter!! My hair looks (and feels) awful to me. It's thicker at the roots, so that's a plus. :yep: But I think I liked the Design Essentials better. I sooo want to give Silk Elements another chance though since I hear so many raves about it on this board, it's mild & gentle, and it's CHEAP and easily accessible. <---Two things Design Essentials mild w/shea butter is NOT. :nono:

*sigh* What do you ladies think I should do? Try silk elements one more time on my next touchup, or wait it out for the Design essentials?

Last edited:

Chasity

I absoloutely love it..I just came off a 10 week stretch and noticed a lot of people on here talking aboaut how good SE is..I also use the one in the Tub and I am not really used to relaxing my own hair, but am getting used ot it and loving not having to pay someone. I am now on my 2nd week with this and it is very silky..Not bone straight(I have naturally wavy/thick hair) but I am loving it!!! I am going to stick to this brand and it is not that expensive either:woot:

Chasity

Give it another Try..Allow your stylist to leave it in longer..I was scared too as this being my first time trying it but I allowed it to stay on the scheduled time and I have great results

Well, I'm glad to see that this relaxer is working for you. :up:

For me?? Ummm...not so much... :ohwell:

Each rollerset that I get gets more and more UNbearable. My stylist can barely get the rat-tooth comb through my roots so that my rollersets will be nice and straight. :nono: I'm hearing hair snapping and breaking through the comb. She swears that she's not ripping into my hair, but... IDK, it just sounds like it. :(

My hair feels a bit thicker (except at the ends) so that's a good thing, but I don't like how just after 4 weeks of this relaxer and I look like I haven't even had a touch-up!! :crying3: I was going to give it another chance and leave it on longer for my next touch up, but I'm starting to re-think that decision.

Right now, I just want my hair to be straighter!! My hair looks (and feels) awful to me. It's thicker at the roots, so that's a plus. :yep: But I think I liked the Design Essentials better. I sooo want to give Silk Elements another chance though since I hear so many raves about it on this board, it's mild & gentle, and it's CHEAP and easily accessible. <---Two things Design Essentials mild w/shea butter is NOT. :nono:

*sigh* What do you ladies think I should do? Try silk elements one more time on my next touchup, or wait it out for the Design essentials?

SmilingElephant

Hmmmm.....maybe i should give this a try next week.....i'm gonna relax and put a jet black rinse in. I am tired of lookin jacked up!!

Crystalicequeen123

Give it another Try..Allow your stylist to leave it in longer..I was scared too as this being my first time trying it but I allowed it to stay on the scheduled time and I have great results

Thanks for the input Chasity.

Do you use the mild or regular formula?

Also, is there some special kind of conditioner you're supposed to use after this relaxer? I heard people saying that my stylist should put the Silk Elements megasilk conditioner in my hair after it is neutralized so that I can get the "silky" affect. I don't think I'll ever get the "Silkiness" some people are talking about because I use the MILD formula...not the regular strength.

But, I think I'll give this relaxer at least one more try before I just give up on it totally. :yep:

SelfStyled

Okay I just used this relaxer last week. I wanted to use something different because Affirm reg kept leaving me underprocsessed- and I am not a Super kinda girl. I really did not think this would work for me but figured I had nothing to lose.

I love this relaxer! This little $3 relaxer did what the Affirm couldn't do. I did use regular lye version because my hair is very hard to process, and my hair came out great. My new growth is straight but not over processed. This is a keeper fo me, I would have never bought this product if it wasn't for this board. I would see this at Sally's and turn my nose up at it like this can't be better than Affirm and I was dead wrong for that.....

This did not burn at all, and I processed for 20 min. Seriously, not a niggle, nothing.

I did use the megasilk conditioner and I was not impressed. Next time I will use my Silicon Mix with a little 2 min APhogee.

I realize that I am happy now at 1 weeks post. I just hope that I don't see any reversion over the next few weeks.

Crystalicequeen123

Okay I just used this relaxer last week. I wanted to use something different because Affirm reg kept leaving me underprocsessed- and I am not a Super kinda girl. I really did not think this would work for me but figured I had nothing to lose.

I love this relaxer! This little $3 relaxer did what the Affirm couldn't do. I did use regular lye version because my hair is very hard to process, and my hair came out great. My new growth is straight but not over processed. This is a keeper fo me, I would have never bought this product if it wasn't for this board. I would see this at Sally's and turn my nose up at it like this can't be better than Affirm and I was dead wrong for that.....

This did not burn at all, and I processed for 20 min. Seriously, not a niggle, nothing.

I did use the megasilk conditioner and I was not impressed. Next time I will use my Silicon Mix with a little 2 min APhogee.

I realize that I am happy now at 1 weeks post. I just hope that I don't see any reversion over the next few weeks.

Thanks for your review! :up: Maybe the regular-strength formula is where it's at with this relaxer. :look: I just dont' want to use a reg. strength relaxer again. My hair is fine-textured, and probably relaxes easily.

Please keep me posted on whether or not your hair "reverts" in the next few weeks after a few washes.

Has anyone else's hair "reverted" while using this relaxer (mild/regular)?

ETA: I will add however, that my hair does seem thicker. :yep: My edges are also growing back. YAY! :woot: So,maybe leaving the mild formula in my hair for only 15 min. was just too short a time. I'll let her leave the mild in my hair for at least 20 minutes the next time for my touchup and see if I get better results. But next time if it continues to "revert" like it is now, I'm going to have to say "buh-bye" to this relaxer! :wave:

BlondeByDesire

Thanks for the input Chasity.

Do you use the mild or regular formula?

Also, is there some special kind of conditioner you're supposed to use after this relaxer? I heard people saying that my stylist should put the Silk Elements megasilk conditioner in my hair after it is neutralized so that I can get the "silky" affect. I don't think I'll ever get the "Silkiness" some people are talking about because I use the MILD formula...not the regular strength.

But, I think I'll give this relaxer at least one more try before I just give up on it totally. :yep:

That's right you are suppose to use the conditioner after it's neutralized - it's says that on my "mild" tub. Mild does the trick for me, I'm scared to use anything stronger just because my hair is colored. I did that a long time ago with using a stronger version of a relaxer and I so regretted it. I found that I don't need it.

RockCreak

I used this lye relaxer for the first time in Sept 08 and love it. I'm even trying it out on a couple of my customers. I use the mild formula.....I also luv the conditioner. its great for dc....it's definitely a keeper for me....

I recommend it!!!:grin:

Healthb4Length

I tried this relaxer when I used to self relax and although it's excellent (moist, smooth, silky hair) it does revert fast. I loved how it made my hair felt though and If I were low on cash I would use this but I get these same wonderful results without reversion from my Mizani Butter Blends (reg) relaxer. I just wish that the Mizani was cheaper, I'm sticking with my Mizani; for the budget conscious Silk Elements is awesome, if you can stand the reversion.

SelfStyled

Thanks for your review! :up: Maybe the regular-strength formula is where it's at with this relaxer. :look: I just dont' want to use a reg. strength relaxer again. My hair is fine-textured, and probably relaxes easily.

Please keep me posted on whether or not your hair "reverts" in the next few weeks after a few washes.

Has anyone else's hair "reverted" while using this relaxer (mild/regular)?

ETA: I will add however, that my hair does seem thicker. :yep: My edges are also growing back. YAY! :woot: So,maybe leaving the mild formula in my hair for only 15 min. was just too short a time. I'll let her leave the mild in my hair for at least 20 minutes the next time for my touchup and see if I get better results. But next time if it continues to "revert" like it is now, I'm going to have to say "buh-bye" to this relaxer! :wave:

I will definitely let you know if it reverts......I really hope it doesn't though:look:

onejamifan

Just saw this thread and thought I'd add my two cents. I relaxed with SE regular lye 2 weeks ago and my hair still looks great. I washed last week and did an Emergencee treatment for a bit of added protein and my hair did not revert. In fact, I have been working out almost daily since the day after I had the relaxer and not even the sweating has made the hair revert (so far). No shedding, no breakage (but I don't shed while pregnant). I think it's definitely a great product and very affordable too!

Crystalicequeen123

Just saw this thread and thought I'd add my two cents. I relaxed with SE regular lye 2 weeks ago and my hair still looks great. I washed last week and did an Emergencee treatment for a bit of added protein and my hair did not revert. In fact, I have been working out almost daily since the day after I had the relaxer and not even the sweating has made the hair revert (so far). No shedding, no breakage (but I don't shed while pregnant). I think it's definitely a great product and very affordable too!

Thanks Onejamifan. Your hair is beautiful by the way! :up:

I'm really scared to try the regular strength yet, so I think what I'll do is I'll try the mild again, but THIS time I'll have her leave it on for the full 20 minutes. IF my hair STILL comes out underprocessed or TOO wavy at the roots, then I'll just try the regular strength.

SelfStyled

Just checking in....no reversion at all. This relaxer has been the perfect blend of straightness, and my hair feels extra, extra thick- and I do not have thick hair.

Good Plan Crystalice- try the mild and see if that works and if not bump it up to reg strength.