HELP!!!!!!!!!!!! THE SALTED HAIR REMIX!

Irresistible

so anyway, my hair is feeling better, now that I added the oil, just added some more (still has Aveda in it too) , and fingered through it just to see how it felt , its better, I'm leaving it in for a while though, I aint panicking yet,well not totally lol when I rinse this and if its still dry then, then I'm gonna have to prolly call 911 or somethin LOL, here are the pics of how its looking and feeling-much better now:yep:

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

I feel this is making a difference! I just hope to God it stays making a difference on rinse out.....or then I will be totally wiggin out! :spinning:

Last edited:

Irresistible

in one big oily w/ condioner bun for the day-most of this conditioner will start to disappear anyway

I'm in Major Moisture Bun Recovery Mode, wont be able to report back until I rinse this probably way later on today or tonight, lets pray this works!

Hosted on Fotki

will keep ya'll posted later , thank you everybody for all your help support and suggestions :flowers: , notihng to do now but wait , really. and pray

JustKiya

I don't know Iris I guess the salt didn't like you. I only had the clarified feeling for one day and even then, my hair just felt really soft. The next day, I co-washed as per usual and used some glycerin. *shrugs* right as rain. And I've actually done the salt thing twice. I used kosher sea salt, though. If that makes a difference.

:yep:

I'm sorry you don't like how your hair is feeling - proof positive that not everything works for everybody. I'm still in love with the softness/smoothness/moistness of my hair - and I even messed around with the real deal (ocean water) the day after a treatment.

I'd suggest chelating, as well - if there is any salt left on your hair, that will definitely clean it all off. :yep:

Good luck, and I hope you figure it out. :yep:

Irresistible

I don't know Iris I guess the salt didn't like you. I only had the clarified feeling for one day and even then, my hair just felt really soft. The next day, I co-washed as per usual and used some glycerin. *shrugs* right as rain. And I've actually done the salt thing twice. I used kosher sea salt, though. If that makes a difference.

The kind of salt might have made a difference, I keep trying to say though this really isnt bad, I just want my moisture back and the clarified feeling to go away, it did define my curls and all that, but I just need my hair to 'feel' a certain way and thats with plenty of moisture, some may be less sensitive to that feeling or some more sensitive, I think I am highy sensitive, I dont like clarified hair, I know its needed but I dont tolerate it well. I'm sure since so many came back with no problems from the salt , I will too, despite these posts here, I'm working on it, girl I'm working on it

Irresistible

:yep:

I'm sorry you don't like how your hair is feeling - proof positive that not everything works for everybody. I'm still in love with the softness/smoothness/moistness of my hair - and I even messed around with the real deal (ocean water) the day after a treatment.

I'd suggest chelating, as well - if there is any salt left on your hair, that will definitely clean it all off. :yep:

Good luck, and I hope you figure it out. :yep:

The salt aint a bad thing ,even though many are saying it is in this thread, It really didnt do something horrible to my hair, but yeah I wouldnt do it often, maybe some of you like that 'freshly clarified' feeling, I did for a hot minute, lol, now I want my heavy moisture laden hair back, I think that many do frequent BC and ACV washes as a matter of preference , I think the same can go for the salt , I never clarify so that leaves me out in strange territory with this clarified feeling. it served its purpose, its clarified and it did it mildly , more mildly, yet thoroughly, yet still more mildly than many clarifying shampoo's for that I am thankful, I just want my moisture back now girl! what do you mostly do with your hair after u use the salt?

poookie

I only used about 1/2 tsp to a bottle of conditioner

I added lots of oil , so we will see how this goes later, hopefully that rectified the situation

that's all the salt you used? i don't see how such a small amount, to a whole bottle of conditioner, could have caused this.

i do anywhere beetween a tablespoon and a teaspoon, and my hair turns out fine, and really moisturized each time.

it's really interesting to see how different heads of hair react to the same product!

and i hope your moisture returns to you soon! :)

Irresistible

that's all the salt you used? i don't see how such a small amount, to a whole bottle of conditioner, could have caused this.

i do anywhere beetween a tablespoon and a teaspoon, and my hair turns out fine, and really moisturized each time.

it's really interesting to see how different heads of hair react to the same product!

and i hope your moisture returns to you soon! :)

yeah girl I went minimal amount , I'm surprised you could use that much, your right at how it turns out different for everybody, for me it wasnt bad though, just clarified, and I gotta get the moisture back and one conditioner didnt work, I'm hoping this round works with the oil too :yep:

JustKiya

The salt aint a bad thing ,even though many are saying it is in this thread, It really didnt do something horrible to my hair, but yeah I wouldnt do it often, maybe some of you like that 'freshly clarified' feeling, I did for a hot minute, lol, now I want my heavy moisture laden hair back, I think that many do frequent BC and ACV washes as a matter of preference , I think the same can go for the salt , I never clarify so that leaves me out in strange territory with this clarified feeling. it served its purpose, its clarified and it did it mildly , more mildly, yet thoroughly, yet still more mildly than many clarifying shampoo's for that I am thankful, I just want my moisture back now girl! what do you mostly do with your hair after u use the salt?

Ahhhh, yeah, see I LOVE that freshly clarified feeling, but it just usually leaves my hair so DRY - and the salt clarifies without the dryness, at least for me. I can definitely understand how if you didn't like the feeling of totally product-free hair, how it would bother you. :yep:

After I rinse out the salt, I braid up my hair into 3 or four sections, and let it dry like I usually do - then, once it's totally dry, I'll style it - however. Right now I'm rocking two strand twists, and they are - luscious!! :lol: Smooth, shiny, soft, light, with lots of movement and a little less body (which is a good thing, with the density of hair I have!!!). :yep:

ETA: Hrm. If you hate that feeling, the best thing would be to, I think, create buildup on your hair as quickly as possible.......do you use silicones?

Last edited:

Irresistible

Ahhhh, yeah, see I LOVE that freshly clarified feeling, but it just usually leaves my hair so DRY - and the salt clarifies without the dryness, at least for me. I can definitely understand how if you didn't like the feeling of totally product-free hair, how it would bother you. :yep:

After I rinse out the salt, I braid up my hair into 3 or four sections, and let it dry like I usually do - then, once it's totally dry, I'll style it - however. Right now I'm rocking two strand twists, and they are - luscious!! :lol: Smooth, shiny, soft, light, with lots of movement and a little less body (which is a good thing, with the density of hair I have!!!). :yep:
yeah see its preference only, because you pegged it , I dont like that totally product free hair feeling, that light and airy feeling, not unless its for a press, your right it did leave my curls soft and defined, but oyy I am not used to that light no product feeling, I needs my heavy moisture, so I guess it will just take some time for it to return, I thought Elucence would do it but it didnt so I kinda panicked, but what I'm doing now with oil and conditioner should work just fine

but why are so many saying how salt can do this and that. I'm so lost on that now girl! they scarin me half to death lol:wallbash:

JustKiya

yeah see its preference only, because you pegged it , I dont like that totally product free hair feeling, that light and airy feeling, not unless its for a press, your right it did leave my curls soft and defined, but oyy I am not used to that light no product feeling, I needs my heavy moisture, so I guess it will just take some time for it to return, I thought Elucence would do it but it didnt so I kinda panicked, but what I'm doing now with oil and conditioner should work just fine

but why are so many saying how salt can do this and that. I'm so lost on that now girl! they scarin me half to death lol:wallbash:

*nod* Did you see my edit up above? Do you use silicones? Or any really heavy products that normally make your hair feel 'gunky'? I'd suggest using those, right off.... :yep:

What they are leaving out, is the length and strength of exposure. Kinda like saying 'Don't take a bath, because that's used to drown people!!!' Yeah, if you use too much, or leave the salt in for too long, it can (and will) have negative results on your hair - and most of the uses that they are talking about are not a quick rinse of salt through your hair - they are talking about LEAVING salt/saltwater on your hair for long periods of time. If you leave the salt on your hair, it will dry your hair out. I have no doubt of that..... everything else, I'm doubtful on.... but, I could be wrong. :lol:

Irresistible

*nod* Did you see my edit up above? Do you use silicones? Or any really heavy products that normally make your hair feel 'gunky'? I'd suggest using those, right off.... :yep:

What they are leaving out, is the length and strength of exposure. Kinda like saying 'Don't take a bath, because that's used to drown people!!!' Yeah, if you use too much, or leave the salt in for too long, it can (and will) have negative results on your hair - and most of the uses that they are talking about are not a quick rinse of salt through your hair - they are talking about LEAVING salt/saltwater on your hair for long periods of time. If you leave the salt on your hair, it will dry your hair out. I have no doubt of that..... everything else, I'm doubtful on.... but, I could be wrong. :lol:

well my hair never felt totally stripped that I am sure of , if this doesnt work today, what I'm doing, I'm gonna put in a heavy butter next, that should do it, I think I needed oil, clarifying takes all the oil, so conditioners were fine, for one aspect, but I need oil for another, so I think this is going to be fine after today, I will of course report back. Again to everybody I am not reporting MAJOR dryness here, just 'clarified' hair and wanting the moisture back in it like I'm used to.

I guess if they are putting it in that light it would make total sense but yeah I'm finding it hard to believe my hair could be anything more than clarified just needing the moisture back with only half a tsp for 10 minutes-i would believe I could bring my hair back if I went in the ocean one time for 10 minutes, so whats the real difference? just gotta work at it thats all, I dont know about silicones, but i know about oils and butters hehe :grin:

lovenharmony

ET / OT Bonafide Member
A little bit OT, but last night I was watching Shear Genius on Bravo and for the short cut challenge, they had a well known Hollywood hair stylist named Robert Hallowell aka "the kitchen beautician" where he styles and conditions people's hair with all natural products that are found in the kitchen. There were many products there that we alredy use (coconut oil, avocadoes, honey, eggs) but what stood out to me was the big bottle of sea salt on the table!

Just was interesting to see that since we're all fascinated at this whole salted hair thing.

Here's the link;
http://www.thekitchenbeautician.com/frames.html

JustKiya

A little bit OT, but last night I was watching Shear Genius on Bravo and for the short cut challenge, they had a well known Hollywood hair stylist named Robert Hallowell aka "the kitchen beautician" where he styles and conditions people's hair with all natural products that are found in the kitchen. There were many products there that we alredy use (coconut oil, avocadoes, honey, eggs) but what stood out to me was the big bottle of sea salt on the table!

Just was interesting to see that since we're all fascinated at this whole salted hair thing.

Here's the link;
http://www.thekitchenbeautician.com/frames.html

HAH!! That's wild! Did you see how/what he used it for?

Crown

Although Sodium Hydroxide (lye; NaOH) has a different chemical structure than Sodium Chloride (table salt; NaCl) and the former being far more caustic than common table salt, they are both still salts none-the-less. Salt by it's very nature draws water out of cells through osmosis and creates a drying effect. And they are both alkali metals, which can bond to hair.

How about Epsom salt (magnesium sulfate)? Thanks!

I don't know Iris I guess the salt didn't like you. I only had the clarified feeling for one day and even then, my hair just felt really soft.

I agree. Smooth, soft and light hair for me after 1 treatment. Thanks JustKiya!

Starr1

Yeah, but you said that people don't chelate after relaxing because it would interfere with the relaxing process... how/why?

It doesn't neccessarily interfere with the process persay, but rather can create an effect contrary to the effect of relaxing. Think of it this way: everything on your hair adds weight- including metals and buildup. When you relax the hair, there are less bonds hold in the hair together (thus the stretching), but there can still be buildup and metals attached to the strand weighting it down. This is why clarifying often "defines" the curl pattern on an individual, even those who are relaxed- the less weight on the strand the less it's pulled straight. Chelation can have the same effect. By removing the "weight" of the metals the bonds have the ability to get closer- they are still relaxed and there are still the same amount of bonds, but they will be closer none the less. The result is the a relaxed strand that will appear slightly more curly than it was when it was when intially relaxed.

As you can see on this high tech chart I created:grin:, the natural strand has more bonds holding it together than the relaxed, the relaxed with less bonds can stretch out. That same relaxed strand when clarified loses some the excess weight that can stretch it out. Chelation further lessens the weight on the strand.

JustKiya

Yeah, but you said that people don't chelate after relaxing because it would interfere with the relaxing process... how/why?

It doesn't neccessarily interfere with the process persay, but rather can create an effect contrary to the effect of relaxing. Think of it this way: everything on your hair adds weight- including metals and buildup. When you relax the hair, there are less bonds hold in the hair together (thus the stretching), but there can still be buildup and metals attached to the strand weighting it down. This is why clarifying often "defines" the curl pattern on an individual, even those who are relaxed- the less weight on the strand the less it's pulled straight. Chelation can have the same effect. By removing the "weight" of the metals the bonds have the ability to get closer- they are still relaxed and there are still the same amount of bonds, but they will be closer none the less. The result is the a relaxed strand that will appear slightly more curly than it was when it was when intially relaxed.

As you can see on this high tech chart I created:grin:, the natural strand has more bonds holding it together than the relaxed, the relaxed with less bonds can stretch out. That same relaxed strand when clarified loses some the excess weight that can stretch it out. Chelation further lessens the weight on the strand.

That's a FABULOUS chart Starr!! That also makes sense as to why some people were seeing tighter curled hair, too! :yep: :lol:

P

Paradox

Salt is a mineral that bonds to the hair and regardless of how little you use it can result in dryness and sometimes damage. Your hair may temporarily feel soft, but that is only because the salt rubs the cuticles and creates artificial weathering- in other word: a stone left in a river becomes smooth, but over time the river wears it down to nothing. The salt does the same thing to the hair. Because salt forms a bond to the hair on a molecular level, regular shampooing, clarifying, and rinsing will not get rid of it.

In order to break the chemical bonds you will need to use a chelating (not clarifying) shampoo and follow it up with a deep conditioning treatment.
Yep I should have waited before trying. Can anyone explain to me why my hair seems more porous...every since this, my hair is drying much faster.I was the crazy one that fell asleep with it in my hair.

Last edited by a moderator:

lovenharmony

ET / OT Bonafide Member
HAH!! That's wild! Did you see how/what he used it for?

Well one of the competitors used it, but only as a "decoration" :rolleyes:. The challenge was to create a futuristic high alien-like hairstyle that was out of this world, so competitors were trying to make the client's hair as wierd and tall as possible. However, Robert said that many of the products on the table were beneficial to the hair. I was surprised to see squid and flour on the table as well!
I may be wrong, cause hey this is reality tv we're talking about here! MSM will have you lick the sidewalk pavement for a couple of bucks :barf:
The "alien" reference had me :lachen: too since we have a thread in this forum claiming that some LHCF members are aliens to have such long hair! LOL. I really feel that if you're not leaving the salt in your hair that it won't damage it - the long term effects I'm not so sure...

This is the 2nd day of doing the salt mix and I've had no problems with retaining moisture...so far. I might do a chelate, co-wash and a DC over the weekend just to be sure that my hair doesn't become moisture deprived though :look:

chebaby

ok i looooooooooooooooovvvvvvvvvvvvveeeeeeeeeeeee me some aveda brilliant and i can tell you it does not foam. to get your moisture back i would mix and deep conditioning moisture mask with oil and honey and leave it on for a couple of hours.

Neith

but...

If people don't chelate after using sodium hydroxide based relaxers, then the mineral in their hair is sodium...

While calcium hydroxide (no lye, which leaves calcium behind) is known for dryness, sodium hydroxide (lye, which leaves sodium behind) is known for leaving the hair moist...

Which was my point!

Last edited:

Neith

Iris... try mixing the avocado with coconut milk if you have some...

Coconut milk is a rich, conditioning treatment too! I love it for my hair :yep:

chebaby

i was watching a show and this stylist put salt in a clients hair and her hair started to look sooooooo rough. im so glad i didnt jump on this band wagon. when i forst saw the post about salt making hair soft i couldnt help but to shake my head. its just not some thing i would try. but i hope you get your moisture back. i would just co wash and continue to deep condition for as long as it takes.

Platinum

Too...much... info. Can't... comprehend...:look: Okay, I can honestly say that I am totally confused now.:spinning::spinning::spinning: Neith, I like the coconut milk and avocado idea, I want to try that.:yep:

hopeful

Hi Iris, just wanted to add my 2 cents--Don't Panic! Okay? I think your hair is going to be fine. I thought your curly, post salt-conditioned hair looked BEAUTIFUL, but it did look very different than it normally looks. I think you are just going to have to be patient. If you overwork, overwash and overcondition your hair I think you are going to create another problem. If I were you, I'd stick to my regular routine and just up my daily moisturizing and add in an extra deep con here and there. Just relax, your pretty hair is going to be fine. Have you had a water softner installed at your new house yet? I think using soft water is what will make the most difference--we got one installed a year ago and all of our hair has been doing very well.