Going Modest- Anyone thinking Modest?

Status
Not open for further replies.

blazingthru

I have been and Adventist for years now and never had the modesty message. I found it quite by accident. I had always been curious about a deeper study in the way we are to wear our hair and make up and jewelry but never really got into it. Reason is because once I accepted the message of not adorning myself that was it. I was convicted from the start. I haven't worn jewelry for almost 7 years. No make up either, though for events I wear lashes and eyeliner only because my eyes seem to disappear in pictures.

As for my hair I am natural and never wanted to change, I never liked bright colors or blond for my hair, I can't in my own mind find a reason for being blond other then I want others to admire me and to admire myself. For me that was the one thing I want to avoid. drawing attention to myself, especially because I lived in the city and I use to take public transportation and I witness violence and robbery on one to many occasions.

Many other religions practice modesty (perhaps in dress and not mouth) but nonetheless it is practiced. Its been on my heart. I imagine it would take deeper study as to how to go about it and the concrete reasons for it. I spoke to my daughters and they said no. Which I am not judging anyone. but it is for those who seek to draw closer to God, words for thought and consideration. Many in my faith do not practice modesty perhaps this is a reason why it bothered me so much. the shoes that are worn in service are very sexual in nature, very true. I think they are cute but then I think sexy too and I can't see where that can be right in the house of God. the skirts and dress or way to short. I just feel so uncomfortable and I never really cared before. So it was a shock and yet not a shock to see there is a message, there is a teaching in the bible of how woman are to dress.

As more clothes come off unsaved, more clothes should come on the Christian woman.

I found some interesting websites for modest clothing. Of course more research is needed but I welcome others thoughts on this for or against, though against isn't going to change my mind. it will help me to reaffirm why I want to take this step in my life. I will be facing some serious ridicule from my family and want to start preparing and preparing those who want to go this direction with me.

it clearly is step out on faith. I haven't posted my bases for this decision because I have not mapped it out yet. I just know that once again I was convicted from the very start that I needed to change my style of dress and stop wearing pants.

www.koshercasual.com
Some skirt idea and tights to wear underneath
0503_15139_mm.jpg 0549_29553_mc_4655.jpg 0549_16517_mc_1249.jpg

Attachments

• 0544_16460_mm.jpg
    0544_16460_mm.jpg
    2.1 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:

dicapr

Good luck and continue to let the Lord lead you. I've always admired women who practice "modesty" and continue to look fashionable, attractive and modern while remaining covered. I am not lead to that lifestyle but I wish you success in that endeavor.

I'm back now that I have time! I just had to post BC I was so excited to see a topic about modesty. My backstory: I switched churches in May, repented in June, vacationed for all of July :lol:, got baptized in August and was saved in September. As a young adult one of my goals with dressing modestly is not to look dowdy.

My Personal Standards:
-Nothing that needs to sit "just so" in order to be modest
-No tops that are too low cut
-Nothing sleeveless
-Skirts to the knee
-The only makeup I wear is tinted lip balm
-No colored nail polish. My struggle!

Online shopping and a tape measure have been a lifesaver for me. My ideal skirt length is between 21.5 and 23 inches. Unless it's a midi/maxi. It sounds restricting but I zip through online shopping now.

I usually get my fashion inspiration from IG or Pente bloggers.

The clothing change hasn't been hard for me because I've always been modest (but I rarely wore skirts/dresses), my Mom supports me 100% and I've made an effort to befriend people at my new church. The women at my church are very modest. I've had a handful of people try to rudely discourage me but I just ignore them.

This is the longest post I've ever written and this just scratches the surface. I'll shut up now :lol:

Sheriberi

I've always chosen my clothing with care. I wear dresses, skirts and pants, but nothing tight and nothing short. I do wear shorts in the summer, but they are not tight and are Bermuda length.

FemmeFatale

Interesting topic. To be very honest I find that some super modest clothing fall into the homely category. I think a look like this is fine.

What is the issue with makeup and nail polish?

Attachments

• image-2797731187.jpg
    image-2797731187.jpg
    213.8 KB · Views: 216
Last edited:
^I totally agree about the homely part! My Mom is almost quicker than me about vetoing anything frumpy. My attachment is something I'd wear on a casual day. But I'd wear a thicker skirt so that it wouldn't cling. That dress would make me feel very self-conscious! :lol:

Re: Makeup. There are women at my church who wear a little powder and there are others who are barefaced. The goal is not to be flashy. You wouldn't see someone there with a smokey eye and red lipstick etc.

Makeup is a total distraction for me! It had me sitting in service focusing on not crying because I didn't want to look like a raccoon :lol: Plus once I stopped wearing MU I realized it was the sole cause of my breakouts!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    159.9 KB · Views: 192

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
This is the verse in the bible that reminds me of modesty:

1 Timothy 2:9, "in like manner also, that the women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with propriety and moderation, not with braided hair or gold or pearls or costly clothing..."

Divine.

Yeah, I don't think I'm called to this :lol: I like to look nice, and those clothes...During the week I got the whole modesty thing down (loose clothes, no makeup, etc.) but that's honestly out of laziness and not caring. Idk if I could do that though the weekend though. That's really the only time I'm "made up" or look presentable.

dicapr

I don't know where the modest line is. I do have standards on what I feel is appropriate to wear but I don't think showing arms and legs or wearing pants makes me immodest. I don't do tight unless I'm wearing leggings and then my shirt or sweater is almost mid thigh. I also wear light makeup when I dress up but I never do anything but a natural look.

I've seen some women practice modesty but they don't particularly look like they are doing anything but dressing nicely. Other women tend to embrace frumpy as an equivalent to modesty.

CoilyFields

I am sensing that "going modest" may be a tradition that is embraced by Seventh day Adventists? Like, there is a formula for it?

I dress modestly, as should all Christians. Its important that we not ignore the Holy Spirit telling us that we may be doing too much for the location/occassion etc.

Modesty, in my understanding of it, is not an absence of adornment but a regulation of presentation.

When I teach the teens we talk a lot about it. Especially the girls, becuase they feel picked on as regards their clothing (not a lot is restricted for boys besides sagging pants). We mostly talk about God wanting us to spend more time adorning our character rather than solely focusing on our bodies. We also talk about them being in tune to the Holy Spirit as regarding their clothing choices.

Though our definitions may be different I would never discourage another sister from following her conscience or what the Holy Spirit has lead her to do...so happy shopping sis!

felic1

FemmeFatale I think the dress is too clingy. Our clothes should not attract looks to our figure. I like makeup. I like lipstick. Many are offended by lipstick. I wear shorts when it is hot. I do not own " daisy dukes". I wear tank tops but nothing sleeveless in church. I go to waterparks with my son and go swimming in a " modest bathing suit". I do not own halters, tube tops or strapless garments.

Last summer at church, choir members showed up for rehersal in halters, tube tops and strapless garments. I was really in shock. I spoke about it to someone and was told, " Oh felic1, things have changed". I do not belong to that club. How are you singing to the glory of God with all your beautiful skin exposed? I have been troubled ever since. I am looking at some patterns to sew up a few pieces. I have ideas to make them acceptable for church. For instance, one summer dress pattern is going to get a matching underskirt (petticoat). Others?

JaneBond007

I see no one discouraging modesty, it's required biblically. How that is to look is largely up to culture and personal taste. Just so that no one looks down upon those with makeup, exposed legs and arms, even a certain amount of cleavage, pants, the tightness of dresses and slacks or height of shoe heels...to avoid becoming judgmental and legalistic. Do what you're led to for yourself. I think that's key.

Holla

Last summer at church, choir members showed up for rehersal in halters, tube tops and strapless garments. I was really in shock. I spoke about it to someone and was told, " Oh felic1, things have changed". I do not belong to that club. How are you singing to the glory of God with all your beautiful skin exposed? I have been troubled ever since. I am looking at some patterns to sew up a few pieces. I have ideas to make them acceptable for church. For instance, one summer dress pattern is going to get a matching underskirt (petticoat). Others?

felic1 ..When I read that, I immediately thought of 2 Samuel 6, when David danced and Michal was upset that he was dancing and doing so improperly attired in his wife's mind. Something to think about. :look:

Wearing a linen ephod, David was dancing before the Lord with all his might, while he and all Israel were bringing up the ark of the Lord with shouts and the sound of trumpets.

16 As the ark of the Lord was entering the City of David, Michal daughter of Saul watched from a window. And when she saw King David leaping and dancing before the Lord, she despised him in her heart.

17 They brought the ark of the Lord and set it in its place inside the tent that David had pitched for it, and David sacrificed burnt offerings and fellowship offerings before the Lord. 18 After he had finished sacrificing the burnt offerings and fellowship offerings, he blessed the people in the name of the Lord Almighty. 19 Then he gave a loaf of bread, a cake of dates and a cake of raisins to each person in the whole crowd of Israelites, both men and women. And all the people went to their homes.

20 When David returned home to bless his household, Michal daughter of Saul came out to meet him and said, “How the king of Israel has distinguished himself today, going around half-naked in full view of the slave girls of his servants as any vulgar fellow would!”

21 David said to Michal, “It was before the Lord, who chose me rather than your father or anyone from his house when he appointed me ruler over the Lord’s people Israel—I will celebrate before the Lord. 22 I will become even more undignified than this, and I will be humiliated in my own eyes. But by these slave girls you spoke of, I will be held in honor.”
23 And Michal daughter of Saul had no children to the day of her death.

Holla

Interesting topic. To be very honest I find that some super modest clothing fall into the homely category. I think a look like this is fine.

That picture reminded me of Mary Mary's look....well one of the sisters anyway. She took a LOT of heat for this dress. Interestingly enough, I don't recall reading one critique of her weave, nails, or makeup.....just about the dress. :look:

felic1

felic1 ..When I read that, I immediately thought of 2 Samuel 6, when David danced and Michal was upset that he was dancing and doing so improperly attired in his wife's mind. Something to think about. :look:

Holla Hi Holla! I remember David dancing and his wife said he was dancing in front of the ladies. David picked up a new wife or concubine at every opportunity. While that timeframe practiced polygamy we are called to one spouse. As the former king's daughter, she may have felt that she should be his primary partner and he was spread about. When David was dying, they went to get a Shunamite sp woman to heat him up. These women were very beautiful and desirable. When the king could not rise to the occasion, his attendants said that he was dying for sure. I see that when we discuss modest apparel braided hair is mentioned. We wear our hair in braids sometimes. It is beautiful and simple. Modesty does not draw a lot of attention to ourselves and does not portray an image of very sexy. What do other ladies believe is a chaste expression of modesty?:look:

felic1

Holla Hi Holla! I remember David dancing and his wife said he was dancing in front of the ladies. David picked up a new wife or concubine at every opportunity. While that timeframe practiced polygamy we are called to one spouse. As the former king's daughter, she may have felt that she should be his primary partner and he was spread about. When David was dying, they went to get a Shunamite sp woman to heat him up. These women were very beautiful and desirable. When the king could not rise to the occasion, his attendants said that he was dying for sure. I see that when we discuss modest apparel braided hair is mentioned. We wear our hair in braids sometimes. It is beautiful and simple. Modesty does not draw a lot of attention to ourselves and does not portray an image of very sexy. What do other ladies believe is a chaste expression of modesty?:look:

felic1

Holla Hi Holla! I remember David dancing and his wife said he was dancing in front of the ladies. David picked up a new wife or concubine at every opportunity. While that timeframe practiced polygamy we are called to one spouse. As the former king's daughter, she may have felt that she should be his primary partner and he was spread about. When David was dying, they went to get a Shunamite (sp) woman to heat him up. These women were very beautiful and desirable. When the king could not rise to the occasion, his attendants said that he was dying for sure. I see that when we discuss modest apparel braided hair is mentioned. We wear our hair in braids sometimes. It is beautiful and simple. Modesty does not draw a lot of attention to ourselves and does not portray an image of very sexy. What do other ladies believe is a chaste expression of modesty?:look:

Last edited:

Holla

@Holla Hi Holla! I remember David dancing and his wife said he was dancing in front of the ladies. David picked up a new wife or concubine at every opportunity. While that timeframe practiced polygamy we are called to one spouse. As the former king's daughter, she may have felt that she should be his primary partner and he was spread about. When David was dying, they went to get a Shunamite (sp) woman to heat him up. These women were very beautiful and desirable. When the king could not rise to the occasion, his attendants said that he was dying for sure. I see that when we discuss modest apparel braided hair is mentioned. We wear our hair in braids sometimes. It is beautiful and simple. Modesty does not draw a lot of attention to ourselves and does not portray an image of very sexy. What do other ladies believe is a chaste expression of modesty?:look:

Polygamy, etc. has nothing to do with dancing before the Lord in certain attire. But if that is what you drew from that passage ......ok. :look:

Haddasah

Personally I wear skirts and dresses except when I'm exercising. I don't wear anything above my knees, but most are ankle length dresses/skirts. My clothing are not clingy or loose but fitted. One can still be fashionable and dress modestly, nothing wrong with dressing up. I do "doctor up" some of the "trendy" items however needed.

I know a lot of women who dress modestly, a lot. Wearing layers upon layers of clothing in the heat with hats (because your head is to be covered in their belief of modesty) and keeping little ice pouches under their arms to stay cool. Where I live its hot 90% of the time, no seasons here really. It draws attention...if the point is to not draw attention by dress, they have failed (IMO) because they draw a lot of attention dressing like that in this weather

I used to be like that, and Im not anymore.
I was concerned with how people saw me...I wanted to portray an image of holiness, so I dressed like that (wrong motives). Did nothing for my heart, still drew attention, and was uncomfortable. It's like I took modesty to mean to look as painfully hideous as possible.
Also I started to disdain my femininity, like it was a curse that must be hidden at all cost. And it will be my life punishment to minimize and abhor my natural curves. Being full figured, it was a drag attempting to hide every curve, I wanted to achieve a ruler look....impossible for me, it was frustrating.

Now

I dress tastefully for the weather and occasion, fitted (not loose or tight) clothing, with minimum skin showing, I wear colors that complement my complexion and undertone, I do not wear jewelry. Yes I wear makeup, sometimes do my nails (pinks,nudes,plums), and do my hair.

God loves beauty( look at nature), and I see nothing wrong with being creative in the ways that I adorn my body and celebrating my femininity.

Haddasah

Personally, I would wear this dress a little looser, minus the shoes (I can't wear high heels over 3 inches-wear a black flatter shoe), and keep the jacket (black insides compliment the black shoes plus to cover up), I don't find her full face makeup flashy but enhancing/natural. Nice style.

Shimmie

"God is the Only Truth -- Period"
Staff member
I'm back now that I have time! I just had to post BC I was so excited to see a topic about modesty. My backstory: I switched churches in May, repented in June, vacationed for all of July :lol:, got baptized in August and was saved in September. As a young adult one of my goals with dressing modestly is not to look dowdy.

My Personal Standards:
-Nothing that needs to sit "just so" in order to be modest
-No tops that are too low cut
-Nothing sleeveless
-Skirts to the knee
-The only makeup I wear is tinted lip balm
-No colored nail polish. My struggle!

Online shopping and a tape measure have been a lifesaver for me. My ideal skirt length is between 21.5 and 23 inches. Unless it's a midi/maxi. It sounds restricting but I zip through online shopping now.

I usually get my fashion inspiration from IG or Pente bloggers.

The clothing change hasn't been hard for me because I've always been modest (but I rarely wore skirts/dresses), my Mom supports me 100% and I've made an effort to befriend people at my new church. The women at my church are very modest. I've had a handful of people try to rudely discourage me but I just ignore them.

This is the longest post I've ever written and this just scratches the surface. I'll shut up now :lol:

YaniraNaturally

:welcome3:

And I am very blessed by your post. :yep:

Shimmie

"God is the Only Truth -- Period"
Staff member
That picture reminded me of Mary Mary's look....well one of the sisters anyway. She took a LOT of heat for this dress. Interestingly enough, I don't recall reading one critique of her weave, nails, or makeup.....just about the dress. :look:

I remember that thread. I was one of the 'trouble makers' :look:

This dress truly is too clingy. It shows ever curve of her body. Now if this is for her husband in a private setting, fine. But all eyes of men will looking at her body.

Her hair is gorgeous though :up: :yep:

blazingthru

I am sensing that "going modest" may be a tradition that is embraced by Seventh day Adventists? Like, there is a formula for it?

I dress modestly, as should all Christians. Its important that we not ignore the Holy Spirit telling us that we may be doing too much for the location/occassion etc.

Modesty, in my understanding of it, is not an absence of adornment but a regulation of presentation.

When I teach the teens we talk a lot about it. Especially the girls, becuase they feel picked on as regards their clothing (not a lot is restricted for boys besides sagging pants). We mostly talk about God wanting us to spend more time adorning our character rather than solely focusing on our bodies. We also talk about them being in tune to the Holy Spirit as regarding their clothing choices.

Though our definitions may be different I would never discourage another sister from following her conscience or what the Holy Spirit has lead her to do...so happy shopping sis!

I wanted to comment quickly before I forget, (Thank you for your post) I've been a SDA member for 6 years and never ever heard the modesty message, also LDS, Catholic, Latter Day Saints and it just goes on and on practice modesty. I did my own study on jewelry and its rarely spoken of, but when I visited (for the first time) it was the first thing I notice, no one wore it at all, I was covered in it and I felt uncomfortable. I asked a member on here LHCF whats the deal and she explained it and I did my own research and was convicted right away.

Right now its the men who have convicted me. They spoke of their lust for woman and the one thing that are most attractive to them, this is young men and older men from different walks of life, Legs, they all said its sometimes hard to not notice but its a struggle for them every single day and one thing I never notice is that when woman bend over men can see your bra and your belly and today my sister bent over facing me and I could see all the way down to the start of her pants I was shocked. Shocked and she is very thin. So I decided okay no shirts that are cut low in the front and low is beyond two fingers from your collarbone. I would also not wear a dress or skirt that rises above my ankle. I would wear tights or some form of pants under my skirt in the winter.

Modesty is for men as well, on youtube there is so many discussions about going modest and what each individual felt about their journey, but not really I guess it doesn't really matter, it a decision for God atleast those were their bases for doing it as is mine. But to hear young men and young woman making the decision it really a blessing and explaining why your arms and legs should be covered. I'm still researching but getting excited about it everyday. Still wearing pants though, I wish I could change right now but can't but I cover up completely, I am waiting to go shopping to get some clothes thrift shop by the way.

Laela

Sidestepping the "lynch mob"
Thank you, Blazin'!

Modesty is for men as well, on youtube there is so many discussions about going modest and what each individual felt about their journey, but not really I guess it doesn't really matter, it a decision for God atleast those were their bases for doing it as is mine. But to hear young men and young woman making the decision it really a blessing ....

Iwanthealthyhair67

as to men and women who are having problems with lust ....we need to also make a covenant with our eyes so that we don't sin, it seems like no matter which part of the body is exposed it can be a problem for most men. So it's not always the lack of modesty it could be the individual that needs to bring that area of their lives under subjection to Holy Spirit.

blazingthru

I been doing my studies,

All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, equipped for every good work. ~2 Timothy 3:16

1 Timothy 2:9 - In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with broided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array;
I would consider this as plain with no adornments such as jewels, costly designs.

1 Corinthians 6:19-20 - What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost [which is] in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own? (Read More...)

Proverbs 31:30 - Favour [is] deceitful, and beauty [is] vain: [but] a woman [that] feareth the LORD, she shall be praised.

Something to consider when deciding what to wear. Beauty if Vain.

1 Peter 3:3-4 - Whose adorning let it not be that outward [adorning] of plaiting the hair, and of wearing of gold, or of putting on of apparel;

Proverbs 11:22 - [As] a jewel of gold in a swine's snout, [so is] a fair woman which is without discretion.

1 Peter 3:1-4 - Likewise, ye wives, [be] in subjection to your own husbands; that, if any obey not the word, they also may without the word be won by the conversation of the wives; (Read More...)

1 Timothy 2:8-10 - I will therefore that men pray every where, lifting up holy hands, without wrath and doubting. (Read More...)

1 Samuel 16:7 - But the LORD said unto Samuel, Look not on his countenance, or on the height of his stature; because I have refused him: for [the LORD seeth] not as man seeth; for man looketh on the outward appearance, but the LORD looketh on the heart.

Matthew 5:28 - But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart.

1 John 2:16 - For all that [is] in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world.

1 Peter 5:5-6 - Likewise, ye younger, submit yourselves unto the elder. Yea, all [of you] be subject one to another, and be clothed with humility: for God resisteth the proud, and giveth grace to the humble. (Read More...)

Matthew 5:27-28 - Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, Thou shalt not commit adultery: (Read More...)

Deuteronomy 22:5 - The woman shall not wear that which pertaineth unto a man, neither shall a man put on a woman's garment: for all that do so [are] abomination unto the LORD thy God.

1 Corinthians 10:31 - Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God.

1 Peter 3:3 - Whose adorning let it not be that outward [adorning] of plaiting the hair, and of wearing of gold, or of putting on of apparel;

John 7:24 - Judge not according to the appearance, but judge righteous judgment.

Matthew 6:1 - Take heed that ye do not your alms before men, to be seen of them: otherwise ye have no reward of your Father which is in heaven.

1 Corinthians 6:19 - What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost [which is] in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own?

Proverbs 7:10 - And, behold, there met him a woman [with] the attire of an harlot, and subtil of heart.

Matthew 18:6-7 - But whoso shall offend one of these little ones which believe in me, it were better for him that a millstone were hanged about his neck, and [that] he were drowned in the depth of the sea. (Read More...)

James 1:15 - Then when lust hath conceived, it bringeth forth sin: and sin, when it is finished, bringeth forth death.

Leviticus 19:28 - Ye shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor print any marks upon you: I [am] the LORD.

1 Corinthians 12:23 - And those [members] of the body, which we think to be less honourable, upon these we bestow more abundant honour; and our uncomely [parts] have more abundant comeliness.

1 Corinthians 7:3-5 - Let the husband render unto the wife due benevolence: and likewise also the wife unto the husband. (Read More...)

Galatians 3:23-25 - But before faith came, we were kept under the law, shut up unto the faith which should afterwards be revealed. (Read More...)

Ephesians 2:15 - Having abolished in his flesh the enmity, [even] the law of commandments [contained] in ordinances; for to make in himself of twain one new man, [so] making peace;

Modesty is an attitude
While Paul does not speak to specific guidelines when it comes to dress, he does call women to be modest and to have self control. The New Testament church, hearing this for the first time, would not have been confused on what Paul meant by modest dress. Many in the church that Paul wrote to were copying the fashion of the Roman ladies, which was provocative and extravagant. They dressed to seduce. In contrast, the woman of the church were expected to wear modest clothing that did not draw sexual attention to themselves.

Essentially, modesty is putting on an attitude of humility. Humility in dress, in speech and in life. A humble woman does not draw unnecessary attention to herself, but rather serves her brothers and sisters in humility.

Part of our modest and humble heart is serving those around us. The Bible commands us to not be stumbling blocks to one another. You may feel comfortable wearing a mini skirt, but chances are, it is causing a brother around you to stumble.

But take care that this right of yours does not somehow become a stumbling block to the weak. For if anyone sees you who have knowledge eating in an idol’s temple, will he not be encouraged, if his conscience is weak, to eat food offered to idols? And so by your knowledge this weak person is destroyed, the brother for whom Christ died. Thus, sinning against your brothers and wounding their conscience when it is weak, you sin against Christ. Therefore, if food makes my brother stumble, I will never eat meat, lest I make my brother stumble. 1 Corinthians 8:9-13

http://www.sovereigngracestore.com/Product/A1170-06-59/Modesty_Heart_Check_-_Checklist.aspx

above is a help going in that direction. My agreement is not to expose my legs at all,or my arms. but that is my conviction, I am doing more research to find out why its important not to show any part of your limbs. Right now I don't' know but its a feeling that no part should be shown.

http://youtu.be/KBzScBezaEg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.