Dominican Challenge!!!

RabiaElaine

Hey Crys,

I have fine coarse hair that can be very fragile when it wants to. I definitely suggest just rollersetting and wrapping until you see some improvement. I think you need to find a happy medium that works for you. Also make sure that if you do decide to get your hair blown at the roots, make sure they only do the roots, if they start doing more than that...STOP THEM!

My salon is very good at only doing roots, all you should feel is a slight tug at the root, the brush SHOULD NOT move down the length of the hair at all. They should only use brush to add tension at the roots. After they take out my rollers they blow the roots in the roller sections and that's it, then they wrap me or leave my hair out. I'm now almost 6 weeks post and my edges look good still. When I get a relaxer I probably won't let them blow the roots until I have some new growth...like about a month of new growth.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
RabiaElaine said:
My regimen will be as follows:
-Have my hair wash and set at Amiris New Look Salon in East Elmhust Queens, 1x per week.
-Bring my own deep conditioners (Humecto, Affirm 5 in 1 Reconstructor, Nexxus Keraphix).
-Have them spray surge on my scalp before rollersetting.
-Take my vitamins.
-Relax every 7 weeks, maybe I will be able to stretch longer due to the methods that they use.
-Trim/Dust only as needed at the salon.
-Wrap my hair at night.
-Wear my hair up when it get's close to wash time because that's usually when I shed.
-Drink plenty of water.
-Use magnetic or Caruso rollers to regain curl/bump when needed.
I would like to jump off the No Heat Challenge (I only lasted 4 months) and join this Dominican challenge but instead of setting my hair in rollers after being wash, I will just blowdry and then roll my hair up with magnetic rollers...kinda backwards but it works pretty well for me. I don't have anymore Surge so I will just be applying WGO to my hair and scalp. At night, I will wear rollers in my hair or scrunchi bun instead of wrapping every night. I will not be trimming/dusting my hair.
What do you guys think???

RabiaElaine

Poohbear said:
I would like to jump off the No Heat Challenge (I only lasted 4 months) and join this Dominican challenge but instead of setting my hair in rollers after being wash, I will just blowdry and then roll my hair up with magnetic rollers...kinda backwards but it works pretty well for me. I don't have anymore Surge so I will just be applying WGO to my hair and scalp. At night, I will wear rollers in my hair or scrunchi bun instead of wrapping every night. I will not be trimming/dusting my hair.
What do you guys think???

Why don't you want to rollerset your hair? My salon actually won't blow dry someone's hair from wet if they have a relaxer, because they feel it's too much direct heat on chemically treated hair. Anyway I would really reconsider rollersetting then blowing only the roots if you want to blow anything.
That's just my opinion.

Ladies chime in here please...

Poohbear

RabiaElaine said:
Why don't you want to rollerset your hair? My salon actually won't blow dry someone's hair from wet if they have a relaxer, because they feel it's too much direct heat on chemically treated hair. Anyway I would really reconsider rollersetting then blowing only the roots if you want to blow anything.
That's just my opinion.

Ladies chime in here please...

I'm transitioning and rollersetting worked well for the first 4 months but now I don't have the patience to section my hair one by one and rollerset it. I have a lot of new growth and I think it's just a little too much manipulation and too time-consuming.
As far as blowdrying, I will be blowdrying my own hair since I don't go to a salon and there arent any Dominican salons around my city. I won't be blowdrying my hair when it is soaking wet. I will let it airdry maybe 75-50% and then blowdry. Then apply oils on my ends and roll sections of my hair up. I'm trying something similar to kitchen_tician (check her album and journal out) except I won't be using curling irons on my ends before rolling the sections up! ;)

RabiaElaine

Poohbear said:
I'm transitioning and rollersetting worked well for the first 4 months but now I don't have the patience to section my hair one by one and rollerset it. I have a lot of new growth and I think it's just a little too much manipulation and too time-consuming.
As far as blowdrying, I will be blowdrying my own hair since I don't go to a salon and there arent any Dominican salons around my city. I won't be blowdrying my hair when it is soaking wet. I will let it airdry maybe 75-50% and then blowdry. Then apply oils on my ends and roll sections of my hair up. I'm trying something similar to kitchen_tician (check her album and journal out) except I won't be using curling irons on my ends before rolling the sections up! ;)

O....I understand better now. I thought you were going to have them use the brush to get your hair straight, while it's wet. Let me know how this regimen works for you. Good luck :).

HWAY

RabiaElaine,
I'm get frustrated with my hair. Maybe I should spend the extra money and go to my stylist weekly since he's doing a good job and uses little heat. When I started with him in the spring, my hair was damaged and between his care and the tips I've learned from the board, my hair is doing much better. However, it's very dry. I'm trying to find the right moisturizer for my hair.

The neighborhood Dominican salon just refused to wash and blow dry my roots. She insisted I have a relaxer (6 weeks post relaxer). I don't trust them to relax my hair and I have an appt with my stylist next week, so I left. Now I'm sitting under the dryer with Emergencee in my hair. When I finish this I'll rinse and put a mixture of PM super charged moisturizer, Elucence moisturizing conditioner & Kenra intensive emollient treatment.

RabiaElaine

HWAY said:
RabiaElaine,
I'm get frustrated with my hair. Maybe I should spend the extra money and go to my stylist weekly since he's doing a good job and uses little heat. When I started with him in the spring, my hair was damaged and between his care and the tips I've learned from the board, my hair is doing much better. However, it's very dry. I'm trying to find the right moisturizer for my hair.

The neighborhood Dominican salon just refused to wash and blow dry my roots. She insisted I have a relaxer (6 weeks post relaxer). I don't trust them to relax my hair and I have an appt with my stylist next week, so I left. Now I'm sitting under the dryer with Emergencee in my hair. When I finish this I'll rinse and put a mixture of PM super charged moisturizer, Elucence moisturizing conditioner & Kenra intensive emollient treatment.

That is absolutely ridiculous! They should not force you to get a relaxer. Find another Dominican salon! When I went this weekend, I said to Amiris (the lady that owns the salon), "Amiris do you think I should get a relaxer today?." (I was asking her this because I thought I needed one, because the last relaxer I got by my former hairdresser, I think was underprocessed. The first time I washed my hair after the relaxer the roots were curly. So at this point I actually have 3 months of new growth). Anyway she asked me when was the last time I got a relaxer, since she knows it wasn't with her. I told her almost 6 weeks, she said no that I should wait a longer.

This was astonishing to me I have never had a hairdresser tell me that, most of them would have been glad to have me pay for a relaxer right then and there and not have to deal with all of my new growth. So she washed my hair, put some moisturizing steam treatment in my hair for 25 minutes. Then rollerset me.

There was this other girl there while I was getting my hair done who had just put some color in her hair. She was trying to rush them and make them blow dry her hair from wet, and skip the rollers. The hairdresser (Kissy) who was doing her hair immediately asked Amiris if she should do it, Amiris said no and that she had to get rollers and go under the dryer otherwise she was going to damage her hair. And let me tell you they were packed on Sunday ( I think because V-day is today)! It would have been quicker and freed up some space if they had just blown her out and sent her on her merry way. However Amiris put the health of the hair above her bottom line. I really like the way they operate at that salon.

Anyway, for your relaxer, go wherever you feel comfortable.

Britt

I just had a very pleasant salon experience on Sat. I think I found a person I like. She's young too, I don't even think she's 18 yet. If I don't go again this Sat. I may go the following Sat :D

HWAY

Thank you.
I was and still am upset because I Know I don't do a very good job getting my roots straight and am already dealing with breakage. I think I will brownbag my lunch everyday and invest in my hair by going to my stylist weekly. I'll see what my hair looks like when I finish with it.

L

lkg4healthyhair

I went to a dom salon on Saturday and my hair looks so straight and healthy. I almost feel like I don't need a relaxer if I keep getting my hair done weekly it looks the same. Keep in mind my hair is 4a baby baby fine so it doesn't take much to straighten. I do not let them blow dry I just let them roll and sit under the dryer for 20 minutes (no more).

When I sat down to get my hair rolled this week she told me I needed a relaxer...I just said I know...and handed her my Salerm 21....

A good place will tell you when its time to get a relaxer but never try to force you. That is just crazy

I only get wash & Sets from this place but I will get my relaxers at another place that I have been going to for years...they are in NY and I live in NJ so its easier to just go there when its time to relax.

Crystalicequeen123

RabiaElaine said:
Hey Crys,

I have fine coarse hair that can be very fragile when it wants to. I definitely suggest just rollersetting and wrapping until you see some improvement. I think you need to find a happy medium that works for you. Also make sure that if you do decide to get your hair blown at the roots, make sure they only do the roots, if they start doing more than that...STOP THEM!

My salon is very good at only doing roots, all you should feel is a slight tug at the root, the brush SHOULD NOT move down the length of the hair at all. They should only use brush to add tension at the roots. After they take out my rollers they blow the roots in the roller sections and that's it, then they wrap me or leave my hair out. I'm now almost 6 weeks post and my edges look good still. When I get a relaxer I probably won't let them blow the roots until I have some new growth...like about a month of new growth.

Hey Rabia, thanks for the great advice. I guess you all can count me in on the Dominican Salon challenge. :) I just went this past weekend, so I might as well join! lol* I just wish I could find a really GOOD Dominican salon here in the Maryland area. Don't get me wrong, I like Luisa's and Jaselvis fairly well, but I'm always open to NEW salons that promote great hair growth and handle the hair gently. Any suggestions for stylists/dominican salons in the maryland area?

Unfortunately, I can't afford to go to the dominican salons every single week (they can be quite pricey here in the Maryland area), but I can probably go every OTHER week. Plus, I like doing my own hair. I have enough products to open up my OWN salon! LOL*

My regimen:

-Wash my hair myself every other week (the week that I'm not at the Dominican salon) with my own hair care products. Deep condition.
-Let hair air dry with very little manipulation. maybe do a twist out or a low-maintenance style that I can wear until next dominican salon visit.
-Dominican salon once every other week. Wash, condition, and roller set. NO blowout.
-Take daily vitamins GNC Ultranourishair, and maybe buy some hair, skin, and nails pills.
-Go to my "regular" salon for relaxer touchup every 14 weeks. Get a mild relaxer treatment.

RabiaElaine

Good to have you on Crys :) . Hopefully some of our ladies from Maryland will chime in and recommend a salon. Once you choose the salon, choose one stylist to stick with. I believe this will help a lot. I've chosen too at my place, the lady who owns the salon, and my cousin's hairdresser for the past year. This way I have a back up. I am also comfortable with one or 2 other hairdressers there just in case. My cousin is really strict and will leave the salon with dirty hair if her hairdresser is not there:lachen: .

ReesieCup

Hi guys:

My salon recommendation for the DC/MD/VA area is

Visions Hair Studio
2318 18th Street N.W.
(next to Maggie Moo's, walk up the green spiral staircase)
(202) 797-9898

I recommend Judy (who use to work at Jaselvis) or Shelly (she is african american but does the Dominican blowout just as good as any Dominican stylist). This is not a fancy salon but Shelly is very customer service oriented and will make sure you are satisfied when you walk out the door. Judy's english is not top notch in my opinion, but she is so nice I can definately look over it. Judy does the curly/roots blown out only style the best. Shelly does the straight blow outs the best. They take appointments and get you out in about 2 hours. I see the same girls come in week after week. It's a real down home DC salon. Prices are custom DS, $35 w&s.

Now my personal regimen is:
1. Shampoo and Set by Judy (blow roots only)
2. Deep condition every week. (Motions or Aquage)
3. Shea Butter on scalp once a week (after salon visit)
4. Use Motions new Anti-breakage Oil Moisturizer (yellow bottle) daily on ends and edges
5. Sleep in satin scarf
6. Manipulate a little as possible.

I will share pictures soon!

vangrey

i'm in :wave: webby's hair convinced me!!!!
My regimen:
- wash hair every other week with mane and tail shampoo
-condition with mnt or deep condition (bumble and bumble, ntm, keraphix, or humctress)
-detangle with surge or mnt
-ntm silk leave in
-rollerset
-blow dry roots after the curls fall (the next day)
-wear hair down at most three times a week

*no trimming til i reach brastrap*

surge and moisturize hair everyday

mrslee

Love yourself first!
RabiaElaine said:
What does the Motions Anti breakage oil have in it? Is it similar to wildgrowth? What is the consistency?

Its on sale for $1.97 at Sally's. I just bought some to try on my daughters hair.

Poohbear

RabiaElaine said:
What does the Motions Anti breakage oil have in it? Is it similar to wildgrowth? What is the consistency?

It's not an oil, it's an oil moisturizer, so it's kinda like a hair lotion like ElastaQp Recovery. ;)

BklynHeart

Can any of you ladies in NYC recommend a spot in Manhattan? And what's the latest time they take customers during the week?

RabiaElaine

BklynHeart said:
Can any of you ladies in NYC recommend a spot in Manhattan? And what's the latest time they take customers during the week?

I can't recommend a specific place in manhattan. There are lots of Dominican salons uptown in Washington Heights, and they are cheap too, usually $20 and under. They usually take customers until 6 or 7pm.

I believe AJamericanDiva went to a salon in Manhattan, hopefully she will reply to this. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Anyone else know of a good Dominican salon in Manhattan??

L

lkg4healthyhair

There is a discussion about one on 40th street. I think the dicussion title is "everyone has long hair" the address is below. I will be trying them at some point since I work in NYC but I am just in such a hurry to get home to my newborn when I leave work. I called and they take clients up to 6:30pm and a wash and set w/blow dry is $25.75. They are Dominican I believe and use good products (or you can bring your own).

Michele Hair Cutters
100 West 40th Street, Front 1
NYC 10018
(212) 302-8100

Good Luck!!

BklynHeart said:

BklynHeart

Thanks RaibaElaine and lkg4healthyhair. I love going to Rosalina's in Harlem, but now that I get out at 6 its too late. They take the last person around 6.:sad:

sweetpeadst

I would love to join but there is one problem! I don't know where a dominican Salon is in Mobile, AL. I don't think we have any b/c I am the hair queen and I haven't heard anything about one in the area.

L

lkg4healthyhair

I am still on my challenge although i may not be able to go this week. I actually started pre conditioning with Aubrey's GPB so it was weird because I went there with it in my hair. The shampoo ladies kept asking me what I had in my hair. I told them a pre-shampoo treatment and they just looked at me weird. When she rinsed my hair she understood then, because it was very silky smooth....btw I wore a shower cap under my hat so no one could see it then took the whole thing off in one swoop while waiting to get it washed.

RabiaElaine

sweetpeadst said:
I would love to join but there is one problem! I don't know where a dominican Salon is in Mobile, AL. I don't think we have any b/c I am the hair queen and I haven't heard anything about one in the area.

Hi Sweetpeadst,

If you absolutely can't make it to a Dominican salon, you can try to do it yourself. Webby has great instructions in her album. I believe someone else on the forum has instructions on how to do a wash and set dominican style, but I can't remember who. Hopefully someone else will chime in with that persons name so that you can look at her album as well. I believe a lot of the results come from the technique of how you roller set the hair. Afterwards you can try to blow the roots straight if you want or you can just wrap it.

I've been going once per week for about 1 month and I love how my hair is looking!

PoeticJustice

OK, I'd like to join this challenge. I have a question, once you get the blow out, how are you wearing your hair for that week? I mean since your hair will be freshly set with bounce and body, are you not wearing your hair down?

I ask this because my hair is only at the bottom of my neck right now and I dind't want to wear my hair down a week at a time because my ends would be rubbing against my clothes, but then wouldn't that defeat the style or purpose?? I hope I'm making sense, or can someone school me on the after effects and what to do??? :confused:

Btw, I plan to go every other week. The week I wash my own hair I will be wearing my phony pony. Thanks ladies!!!!

RabiaElaine

I posted this on another thread...but I want to make sure that my Dominican Challengers got a chance to read it...

So I couldn't take it any longer. I got a relaxer on Sunday. I know bad, bad me:spank: . It's been almost 7 weeks since my last relaxer, I wanted to stretch it, but I couldn't this time. I believe I was underprocessed the last time I got a relaxer, and that time I was relaxed after waiting about 8 weeks. Therefore I had approximately 7 weeks of new growth and 8 weeks of underprocessed hair. So I did it I got a relaxer at the dominican salon I've been going to. I used Affirm, ofcourse. My roots are silky smooth, I only had 1 burn which is good, considering that I was scratching my hair like crazy last week. My head is always very itchy when I need a relaxer for some reason:perplexed .

I like it. I believe I see at least 1 inch of growth since my last relaxer, and my hair was trimmed between .25-.5 inches, 2 weeks ago. My hair sides and back of my hair are now reaching about 2 inches below the bottom of my earlobes, so my hair is definitely mid-lower neck. So I have about another inch to go before my hair starts resting on the top of my shoulders.

The sad thing is that I'm so deliriously happy :D with the little bit of progress that I've made since I came back to LHCF, and it's only been about 1 month. I haven't even seen the full effects of my vitamins yet, those probably won't really kick in for another month and a half or so. You ladies are amazing

I don't have any pictures yet but will take some tomorrow hopefully. So now I think I can update my goals in my siggy, YEAHIE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Former Goals------------------------------------------------------------------------------- New Goals
Current- chin length----------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Current- 1" from top of shoulders
April 2005- 1 inch from touching shoulder------------------------ April 2005- Top of shoulders
July 2005- Shoulder Length-------------------------------- July 2005- 1-2 inches down shoulder
September 2005- 1-2 inches past shoulder-------------- September 2005- mid-shoulder blade

RabiaElaine

Justicewifey said:
OK, I'd like to join this challenge. I have a question, once you get the blow out, how are you wearing your hair for that week? I mean since your hair will be freshly set with bounce and body, are you not wearing your hair down?

I ask this because my hair is only at the bottom of my neck right now and I dind't want to wear my hair down a week at a time because my ends would be rubbing against my clothes, but then wouldn't that defeat the style or purpose?? I hope I'm making sense, or can someone school me on the after effects and what to do??? :confused:

Btw, I plan to go every other week. The week I wash my own hair I will be wearing my phony pony. Thanks ladies!!!!

Hi Justice,

Welcome :wave: to the Dominican challenge.

Speaking for myself. My hair is also at mid/lower neck level now since I got my relaxer on sunday :grin: , anyway I wear my hair down some days but I don't wear turtlenecks or anything, and most of my shirts have wide necks so my hair isn't long enough to rest on it (YET ;) :p ). My hair does rest on my wool coat if I have it down though, so I wear a pretty silk scarf around my neck in that case and have it rest over the collar. Or I put my hair up in a clip until I get to the office or home so that I can take off my coat. Other days I wear my hair in my new phony pony or other assisted buns as I describe in my album. The last week before my relaxer I only wore my hair in my phony pony because I didn't want to mess with my hair too much.

The point of the dominican challenge is not really the style but the techniques that they use to get your hair silky straight and smooth, decreasing breakage at the line of demarcation or from you using to many heating tools to make your hair straight. I wrap my hair at night to keep it smooth. I did not wrap it the week before relaxing because I did not want to manipulate my hair too much.

I hope this helps.

msniq

i guess i have been doing this challange already.
i go to the dom salon once a week. i shampoo at home and leave in conditioner until i get there. I use aveda hair revitalizer, humecto or something else. I drive to the shop with a cap on and a baseball hat over that.
they rinse it out and use cream rinse once. then red or gray rollers, dryer and then pin up. I rarely get a blow out because i do not like the heat on my hair. I do not go out in public with the pins in my hair and i wish EVERYONE would stop that becasue it is not cute!

Cover it up with a hat a wig or even a cute silk scarf that is fashionable and goes with you outfit and tie it the right way not like hazel!