Any thoughts on Maximum Hydration Method

Honey Bee

I used baking soda in my conditioner, and leave in conditioner with flaxseed gel, [yet to get clay but have used lotus and alma powder pending getting my hands on bentonite clay] and in a week my 4a hair is much softer. I only did my shortened version thrice.
tolly, Be careful with this. The originator of the method, Pinke Cube, was asked about amla powder as a temporary stand-in for clay in that big thread on BHM. I had to search like crazy, but I found her response.

I went ahead and looked up the specific components of amla powder. It's a protein. If you are still using this you may want to stop, as you could be protein sensitive and it may be taking away from your hydration levels.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/280952-what-are-the-benefits-of-amla-powder/
"Other components of amla powder include: albumen, iron, calcium, protein, phosphorus and carbohydrates
"

It's on this page, just search for amla.

Honey Bee

Is the purpose to cleanse buildup or close cuticles? Someone posted an article where ACV doesn't remove buildup very well.
@Transformer, Yeah, there's an article breaking it all down at thenaturalhavenbloom. I was thinking about how to address the issue you raised. I settled on a shikakai/ reetha spritz, let it sit and then do the acv rinse (I'm not messing with baking soda :nono:). I'll check the ph of the tea first though to make sure I'm not messing nothing up. :look:

Honey Bee

I wonder if long term use will lead to damage?
ImFrotastic, I wonder about that too (which is why *I* won't be using it :lol: ). The only time I'll be using it is in the Cherry Lola mix. I figured buffered was safer than raw dog without a bag. :lol: :look: Someone else agrees:

The Better Option

A blogger called Cherry Lola created a treatment coined The Cherry Lola Treatment that uses baking soda, yogurt and amino acids. It helps with clumping, defining curls and giving them better hang.

I call this a better option for two reasons. First because because the yogurt being slightly acidic will reduce the pH of the baking soda making it gentler on your hair and scalp and secondly, the treatment infuses amino acids (protein) directly into your strands. Cherry Lola along with many other naturalistas have tried it and have had extraordinarily good results!

Using Baking Soda As A Natural Texturizer

faithVA

The baking soda mixed with conditioner and water has a ph of 8. It is not a high enough ph to texturize the hair. For low porosity hair a higher ph helps to lift the cuticle enough to get water into it. This is not necessary for those with normal to high porosity.

My water at home has a ph of 7 which is not enough to lift my cuticle to get water in which is why my hair is always do dry.

I know there are LHCF ladies that use baking soda routinely but I can't speak for there long term results.

Honey Bee

The baking soda mixed with conditioner and water has a ph of 8. It is not a high enough ph to texturize the hair. For low porosity hair a higher ph helps to lift the cuticle enough to get water into it. This is not necessary for those with normal to high porosity.

My water at home has a ph of 7 which is not enough to lift my cuticle to get water in which is why my hair is always do dry.

I know there are LHCF ladies that use baking soda routinely but I can't speak for there long term results.
@faithVA, I suspect it's safe to use. It's just that, for me, coming from a dreadfully hi po situation, I'm very funny about concocting home brews that affect the ph.

faithVA

@faithVA, I suspect it's safe to use. It's just that, for me, coming from a dreadfully hi po situation, I'm very funny about concocting home brews that affect the ph.

Since your hi po, I wouldn't advise you to use baking soda. What you are doing makes since.

I'm just trying to clarify things because I know there are lurkers. Too many conclusions are spread across all heads which is very misleading.

Misinformation and half information is just one of my pet peeves. Oh and one person using their hair as the basis of what works for other people. Just drives me crazy. (rant over :lol:)

almond eyes

I used the clay mud mask this evening and it made my hair feel very dry and it had not felt very dry in a long time. I saw my hair diary from 2006 when I was natural and I used baking soda and I noted that it made my fine hair a dry mess so I was like no bandwagons.

My fine hair responds very badly to glycerin products and aloe vera so I can't keep buying products that contain these ingredients especially as leave ins. I think it is because aloe acts as a protein. I loved eco styler occasionally when my hair was a milli inch. But since my afro is growing up, I see it is reacting differently to the eco styler. And of course when I turn to see the product list for eco styler it has glycerin.

It is a big challenge to find leave in products that do not contain glycerin or that are not too gummy. I have also used kinky curly knot today and something in there is too gummy for my hair.

I can even feel it in my hair if I used a product with glycerin how dry it feels and becomes and in the past when my natural hair was not in the best condition I used products with glycerin like crazy and my hair always had SSKs. I think fine strands do not need products that will suck moisture out or with too heavy proteins.

I hope one of us on this hair board will create a list of ingredients to avoid that draw out moisture or protein in terms of leave ins.

I am not looking for hang time. I just like my hair soft and for the comb to glide through because that is the basis for hair rentention. For now again I use a mild shampoo, conditioner and I use a trace of trader joe's conditioner as a leave in. My hair stays soft all day even when it dries and my curls which are so fine that you can barely see them pop more when I use the right combo of products. For those of your who aren't used to washing your hair often you may have to be very patient until your hair gets used to it and be aware of your shampoos and leave ins.

Best,
Almond Eyes

tashboog

I'm on Instagram
Honey Bee have you actually tried the actual MHM regimen without modifying the steps? Pinkecube has a blog about the MHM regimen which gives exact details and measurements for each step. I think you should try it exactly as described in her blog that way you won't have any set backs. I've been doing this regimen since May so if you have any questions feel free to ask me or faithVA. We have been on this journey together so we do have some knowledge about this regimen. I do know faithVA is taking a break from the regimen, but she will be resuming once her hair gets longer.
http://maxhydrationmethod.com/the-max-hydration-method-detailed-regimen/

Last edited:

faithVA

If anyone has questions feel free to pm me. I probably won't post in this thread too much in the future. Once my hair grows out I may create a thread for those actually doing the MHM method.

tashboog

I'm on Instagram
If anyone has questions you can also pm me as well because I've been doing this regimen since May. I've only had positive experiences with this regimen so if you want to know more about my experience please feel free to pm me. HTH :grin:

Honey Bee

@Honey Bee have you actually tried the actual MHM regimen without modifying the steps? Pinkecube has a blog about the MHM regimen which gives exact details and measurements for each step. I think you should try it exactly as described in her blog that way you won't have any set backs. I've been doing this regimen since May so if you have any questions feel free to ask me or @faithVA. We have been on this journey together so we do have some knowledge about this regimen. I do know @faithVA is taking a break from the regimen, but she will be resuming once her hair gets longer.
http://maxhydrationmethod.com/the-max-hydration-method-detailed-regimen/
tashboog, The reasons I'm not doing all the steps in a row are: 1) I don't have all the supplies yet. I only have a little bit of bentonite clay, but I just ordered a pound of french red. 2) I've been relaxed in some form since I got here. I always felt that, since relaxer damage was serious chemical damage, I required science and labs to make my hair 'ack right'. So, several steps of this regimen are entirely new to me. I'm experimenting. I learn by 'doing it wrong' and figuring out what exactly made it wrong. Did that make sense?

Basically, through circumstance and choice, I'm doing the steps all disjointed on purpose. I'm still transitioning. I wear a bun everyday. No big rush. I still have a whole cabinet of 'bad' conditioners to use up. :lol:

faithVA

tashboog, The reasons I'm not doing all the steps in a row are: 1) I don't have all the supplies yet. I only have a little bit of bentonite clay, but I just ordered a pound of french red. 2) I've been relaxed in some form since I got here. I always felt that, since relaxer damage was serious chemical damage, I required science and labs to make my hair 'ack right'. So, several steps of this regimen are entirely new to me. I'm experimenting. I learn by 'doing it wrong' and figuring out what exactly made it wrong. Did that make sense?

Basically, through circumstance and choice, I'm doing the steps all disjointed on purpose. I'm still transitioning. I wear a bun everyday. No big rush. I still have a whole cabinet of 'bad' conditioners to use up. :lol:

I used up my conditioners and styling products as well. I didn't have a big stash though.

You do need to take your time especially dealing with both relaxed and natural hair.

Honey Bee

I used the clay mud mask this evening and it made my hair feel very dry and it had not felt very dry in a long time.
almond eyes, What was your blend?
I saw my hair diary from 2006 when I was natural and I used baking soda and I noted that it made my fine hair a dry mess so I was like no bandwagons.
Then don't use it. I don't plan to, really, cuz parts of my hair are hi po.

It is a big challenge to find leave in products that do not contain glycerin or that are not too gummy. I have also used kinky curly knot today and something in there is too gummy for my hair.
Are you diluting the knot today in the manner they recommend? I think the proportions were about 3 of 4 squirts to probably about 6 oz of water.

I know what you mean about finding 'good' conditioners. I'm actually planning a special trip to Trader Joe's to pick up some of the 'Tingle conditioner' or whatever it's called. :rolleyes: I've decided to concentrate on coming up with a recipe for a conditioner that I can use for the dc step. I might need to stick with kckt as a leave-in, though, I love it. :drunk:

almond eyes

@almond eyes, What was your blend?

Then don't use it. I don't plan to, really, cuz parts of my hair are hi po.

Are you diluting the knot today in the manner they recommend? I think the proportions were about 3 of 4 squirts to probably about 6 oz of water.

I know what you mean about finding 'good' conditioners. I'm actually planning a special trip to Trader Joe's to pick up some of the 'Tingle conditioner' or whatever it's called. :rolleyes: I've decided to concentrate on coming up with a recipe for a conditioner that I can use for the dc step. I might need to stick with kckt as a leave-in, though, I love it. :drunk:

I used the rhassoul pure clay and conditioner. I kept it in for about 30 minutes. And what I did notice was that my hair that is lightly curly showed a wave pattern with the clay. I washed it out and then used a conditioner. When it was finished my hair had a wave pattern but it was very dry and I could not disturb it but you know it felt dry. The minute I fussed with it the wave pattern was gone. And my 4b edges well nothing significant happened. And you have to really wash all the mud out or else it will make your hair drier. So, what is the point hang time and curls but they feel dry and when you disturb it it's over!!!!!!!!!

I washed it out again with mild shampoo and trader joe's conditioner and my hair was moist again.

Best,
Almond Eyes

Last edited:

Honey Bee

I used up my conditioners and styling products as well. I didn't have a big stash though.

You do need to take your time especially dealing with both relaxed and natural hair.
:yep: I've been shampooing once a week, using bad ingredients, using my blowdryer whenever I want (on cool and with a heat protectant, of course!).

I've been like this with my hair, just giving it whatever it wants.

:lachen:

Honey Bee

I used the rhassoul pure clay and conditioner. I kept it in for about 30 minutes. And what I did notice was that my hair that is lightly curly showed a wave pattern with the clay. I washed it out and then used a conditioner. When it was finished my hair had a wave pattern but it was very dry and I could not disturb it. The minute I fussed with it the wave pattern was gone. And my 4b edges well nothing significant happened. And you have to really wash all the mud out or else it will make your hair drier.

I washed it out again with mild shampoo and trader joe's conditioner and my hair was moist again.

Best,
Almond Eyes

almond eyes, Hmmm, that's a little disconcerting considering (I think) I just bought a lb of rhassoul. I used bentonite and it was just a test, so I didn't want to use up a lot of the little it of clay I have left. I did a few teaspoons in about half a cup of water, maybe less. I also added a teaspoon of slippery elm bark powder. When I applied, it looked like the most perfect wng in all the land! :gorgeous:

I'm wondering what's the difference between your experience and mine. Is it so obvious as the fact that we used different clays?

Ok, I might have figured it out. I looked at the website (maxhydration.com). Your frizz may be attributable to the fact that you conditioned afterward. In this regimen, you're supposed to do condition before the clay and then add your l-i and gel. Second, I haven't seen anyone mention clay + conditioner. You're 'supposed' to use it straight. It's the baking soda that you dilute with conditioner. :yep:

almond eyes

@almond eyes, Hmmm, that's a little disconcerting considering (I think) I just bought a lb of rhassoul. I used bentonite and it was just a test, so I didn't want to use up a lot of the little it of clay I have left. I did a few teaspoons in about half a cup of water, maybe less. I also added a teaspoon of slippery elm bark powder. When I applied, it looked like the most perfect wng in all the land! :gorgeous:

I'm wondering what's the difference between your experience and mine. Is it so obvious as the fact that we used different clays?

Ok, I might have figured it out. I looked at the website (maxhydration.com). Your frizz may be attributable to the fact that you conditioned afterward. In this regimen, you're supposed to do condition before the clay and then add your l-i and gel. Second, I haven't seen anyone mention clay + conditioner. You're 'supposed' to use it straight. It's the baking soda that you dilute with conditioner. :yep:

I panicked and added the conditioner when I felt how drying the clay went on my hair. I used water mixed with the clay and put that on my hair. As I was smoothing it was sticking to my strands and then I panicked and added conditioner. My gel has glycerin and the instructions said no glycerin.

Last edited:

bajandoc86

Lipstick Lover
My schedule does not allow for the multiple washings during the week, I work full time AND study full time while doing 24 hour calls at the hospital (at least 3 per week). But for what it's worth I will be watching to see how it goes for you ladies.

Divine.

I considering trying this method, however, I'm not a fan of homemade concoctions :lol: For the clarifying step, is it possible to just use a sulfate shampoo and call it a day? I would rather find an alternative to baking soda, and the smell of ACV makes me a little sick. Thoughts?

faithVA

I considering trying this method, however, I'm not a fan of homemade concoctions :lol: For the clarifying step, is it possible to just use a sulfate shampoo and call it a day? I would rather find an alternative to baking soda, and the smell of ACV makes me a little sick. Thoughts?

I wouldn't say no. However, if shampoo/sulfate shampoo isn't drying to your hair then you really aren't the target for this method. With that said it doesn't mean you can't try it. It would see you are trying to gain definition. You can try doing the mud after the conditioner or you may want to just try a cowash followed by the mud.

ETA: What is it you are trying to achieve with this method that you can't with your current regimen?

Last edited:

overtherainbow

^Im no expert on this but I was thinking about using a sulfate free clarifier instead of ACV and Baking Soda. My hair loathes ACV. I don't think sulfates would work as well because it'll prevent max hydration. In the long run, sulfates always made my curls look frizzy and harder to manage.

S/N: I'm going to give this a go in the winter time when my hair really needs some TLC. Right now, I'm getting similar results with frequent shampooing and heavy sealing.

Divine.

I wouldn't say no. However, if shampoo/sulfate shampoo isn't drying to your hair then you really aren't the target for this method. With that said it doesn't mean you can't try it. It would see you are trying to gain definition. You can try doing the mud after the conditioner or you may want to just try a cowash followed by the mud.

ETA: What is it you are trying to achieve with this method that you can't with your current regimen?

I just want moisturized hair :sad: I'm not too concerned with gaining definition. I wanted to try it for a week (not long term) just to see what effects it would have on my hair. Maybe I'm in the wrong thread :lol:

faithVA

I just want moisturized hair :sad: I'm not too concerned with gaining definition. I wanted to try it for a week (not long term) just to see what effects it would have on my hair. Maybe I'm in the wrong thread :lol:

I'm certainly not trying to keep you from moisturized hair. However, if you are modifying the method before you even try it, it may be a sign that the method may not be for you.

I don't know what to suggest if you modify the first step or what the outcome will be. That is something you would have to experiment with.

Divine.

I'm certainly not trying to keep you from moisturized hair. However, if you are modifying the method before you even try it, it may be a sign that the method may not be for you.

I don't know what to suggest if you modify the first step or what the outcome will be. That is something you would have to experiment with.

It's just the baking soda I'm weary about. I don't mind it in the cherry lola treatment, but I'm not so sure how well it will clarify my hair. When I put things like that in my hair, I just always feel like it's still dirty. Shampoo would just make me feel a bit better because I know it's designed to clean the hair.

I think I am gonna experiment. My logic is, if the goal is to clarify the hair, I should be able to use a clarifying shampoo (preferably one without sulfates). Maybe the person who came up with this was keeping no-poo ladies in mind.

Lynn84

I started doing this after I took my braids down yesterday. I finished this afternoon and my hair is still damp/wet (in some spots). :perplexed

I can't stand my hair being wet for that long so I don't think I'll be doing it again. It was just too much to do and I've been sitting up here forever with a wet head.

The spots that are dry feel soft and moisturized though.

Attachments

• 2014-08-18 17.32.40.jpg
    2014-08-18 17.32.40.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 121

shelli4018

I've tried it with the ORS clarifying shampoo without issue. My hair was still soft and the curls returned. Give it a shot and see what happens.

Honey Bee

I heavily diluted my ACV the first time I used it. That was actually my best experience with acv thus far. Maybe essential oils could mask the smell long enough for you to get the benefits??

bajandoc86, If you're pressed for time, they say to do the first few steps before bed, sleep in the dc, rinse in the am, apply leave-in's and gel. If that still too long for you I'll try to think something up. :hug2:

Ann0804

Try using the shea moisture Jamaican Black castor oil shampoo. It has ACV in it and is gentle. I ordered it on the sm website.

I'm high po and I've been doing this regimen since May. I initially started out using the conditioner with baking soda for the clarifying step and it was ok, but once I started using ACV for step 1 my hair started responding better to the regimen. My hydration is slow due to the fact my hair was super dry way before this regimen. One thing I can say about this regimen is that my hair is doing a whole lot better. I'm retaining moisture better, I rarely get split ends, I rarely get single strand knots, my breakage has slowed down, my hair rarely tangles, and I'm retaining length. My hair still doesn't like wash n go's so I do braid outs, twist outs, curlformers, or buns. Once I get more hydrated curls then I'll revisit the wash n go. Let me also add that I'm natural, I have high porosity, I'm 4a/ 4b with some 3c, fine to medium strands, low to medium density hair, and I'm full APL. I haven't experienced any over moisturization with this regimen. Your hair won't get over moisturized with this regimen because you are removing build up every 3 days. The ACV or baking soda step and the clay step removes products from your hair which will prevent product build up. When I feel that I need some protein then I will do the modified cherry lola treatment to keep my hair balanced.

The maximum hydration method works and the steps aren't any more than most of the regimens that's on this forum. Sometime we can get negative about things that we don't know so please do your research because there are a lot of naturals out there struggling with their hair, but scared to try this regimen due to all the negative comments. So please be open to change especially if your having issues with retaining moisture and length. I myself have been on this forum for years and I've tried every bandwagon that you could possibly think of and nothing helped with my overly dry hair, ssk's, and breakage. But the maximum hydration method is the only regimen that's been positive for my hair. HTH :grin:

all i want to know is how long does your hair stay hydrated;soft with clumped curl after you stop the method.