Waist Length Challenge 2015

ImanAdero

Here's my length check...

It's a pull test, ND it looks longer... NOW ONLY if I could get the ba,k to grow like the front and sides do!

I'm about to do a protective style though... Going to get my hair put into braids.

I also may do a light dusting next time I wash.

Attachments

• 20150912_143953.jpg
    20150912_143953.jpg
    486.5 KB · Views: 145

Froreal3

haulin hard in the paint
Congrats @davisbr88! You've made it.

Aw man, I haven't posted in forever. A lot is still going on...good things, but a lot nonetheless. Anyway, I haven't really paid much attention to my hair in at least a month. My care for a length journey has gotten less and less over this past year. lol I still need to ingest a lot more protein and I know that I haven't been up on that really. I have been doing biweekly protein treatments though. I can't believe I've been on this thread for two years and my hair doesn't reflect that. My hair grew the most in the first year I was on my length journey (2012 - 2013). IDK what happened after that. lol :ohwell:

I'm just keeping it in a bun or twists and trying to keep it moisturized every other day.

Froreal3

haulin hard in the paint
Hola Ladies :)

My semester is starting up in two weeks but I think I am going to try to juggle some side hobby and work, and study for my GRE exam.

I have been through hell and back and still managed to have an awesome summer with my family. I hope everyone in here is doing well. As far as Waist Length I know I am not going to make it there.. I am going to start taking vitamins in hopes that I can combat the hair loss I am having due to my thyroid. I am in good spirits and I am just trying to appreciate what I do have insead of focusing on what I don't. I missed you guys. Froreal3 we need to have lunch... :) let me know what weekend you are free..

I missed you guys (I know I said it twice) LOLOL I did

@JJamiah PM me your number girlie.

caliscurls

Interestingly enough being in loose twists has helped me to understand my hair a bit more. Having to deal with each small section of hair regularly instead of larger sections has given me the opportunity to inspect it better :detective:. Here's what I've learned:
  • While my nape is long and healthy, the hair on either side of it is broken off and jagged along the hair line in the back. Some of it is almost as long as the nape (MBL) some of it is APL, some of it is a lot shorter. I can tell it's from how I was handling those areas before
  • The crown, while its alllllways been problematic is much finer than the hair anywhere else my head and prone to matting if not detangled weekly. I actually think that area could use some extra protein.
  • The front edges are healthier now. Refraining from styles that tugged and pulled this past year has paid off - now I need to do the same in the back.
  • It looks like I'm finally getting past the length I've been stuck at for the past 6 months
I've also been cheating on my wash day routine sometimes :sekret: instead of doing my entire head I literally just rinse the first 3-4 inches of hair, DC, rinse, and go about my business. This lets me keep my ends nourished without doing my whole head when I don't have time.

Hope everyone else is doing well!

angelhairtype4

Ok. I finished my mini braids. May God help me when its time to take them down.

2015-09-17 06.42.32.jpg 20150917_063933.jpg

I am going to keep them in for 2 months. Moisturize the ends daily and at night I twist and bantu them to keep them having a curl or wave.

I also purchased this wig and I cant wait till it arrives!

senegal twists.jpg

Still taking the collagen powder with OJ during the day and Mulit Vitamin hair, skin, and nails at night. I just purchased some Spirulina and will start that this weekend adding it to my smoothies.

faithVA

View attachment 337399 View attachment 337401

I am going to keep them in for 2 months. Moisturize the ends daily and at night I twist and bantu them to keep them having a curl or wave.

View attachment 337415

Still taking the collagen powder with OJ during the day and Mulit Vitamin hair, skin, and nails at night. I just purchased some Spirulina and will start that this weekend adding it to my smoothies.
Very pretty. You did a great job.

Guinan

Re-Branding

View attachment 337415

Wow, ur mini braids look professional. How long did it take you to do them? Did you do them on blow dried hair or on freshly washed hair?

angelhairtype4

Wow, ur mini braids look professional. How long did it take you to do them? Did you do them on blow dried hair or on freshly washed hair?

Thank you!

I did them on week old stretched braid out, moisturizing a section before braiding. Between working, it took me 3 days to complete. I did the perimeter first and would pull it back in a pony with some braids left out as a bang when going to work.

I did my daughter's as well. Hers took 2 days to complete on my days off. Same size braids.

I don't braid soaking wet hair, but damp, and I oil the braids.

Eta: Forgot to mention. I don't blow dry cause I want my hair to be as moisturized as possible when I did this.

sgold04

My ends are looking raggedy. I'm getting crochet braids on Friday and I plan to keep my hair crocheted until mid-December (different installs), I don't really have the time, but I'll try to do an S&D before my install. When I straighten in December, I know I'll need a trim, I just hope it's not too much.

ETA: every time I've tried to post pics since the upgrade, it never goes through, hopefully I'll figure it out by the time I post my end of year length check

ImanAdero

Sitting with an oil on my hair under a plastic bag... I have no idea if it's even a penetrating oil, lol... BUT, it helped with detangling so whatever.

I'm definitely doing a thorough wash and DC tomorrow though so I can get my hair braided on Tuesday. Which reminds me I should probably use a protein conditioner since they will blow dry it first.

Froreal3

haulin hard in the paint
I'm going to wash my hair probably after two or two and a half weeks...not sure. I've lost count. I have in twists, so I need to take them down and do a protein treatment. I should be doing these every two weeks, but I haven't done one in about a month I think. Not sure if I will deep condition. I know I'm due for a dusting...just can't find my shears.

How is everyone doing? Will anyone be doing lcs for the last leg of the challenge?

View attachment 337415

Those look awesome! @angelhairtype4

NaturalfienD

How is everyone doing? Will anyone be doing lcs for the last leg of the challenge?

Hi Froreal3, great to see you back! Hopefully you found your scissors ... it's a full moon and it's in Pisces, a great time to dust/trim for growth and all around hair lusciousness.

I will definitely post the pic of my final length check in December, during the last week or so.

I'm putting my hair in a PS this week and will keep in a PS until the end of the year.

My regimen is pretty solid and I am relying on the power of visualization to hit my goal ...

I hope you're doing well ...

Peace!

sgold04

My crochet braids have been installed. I didn't notice she used a petroleum based product on my hair until she was done, so I won't keep these in for 7 weeks as intended, I'll do 5 instead. I plan on going right back into crochet braids once I take these out, then I'll straighten and trim around Christmas, and hopefully be able to upload a length check pic.

I noticed the hair on my nape is thin about 6 inches in....not sure what's going on there, but I notice it's hard to assess damage in its natural state, I'll have a clearer picture when I straighten.

Fine 4s

@ImanAdero
Sorry for not paying TOO much attention to that lovely head of hair but you are pwwwwwetty!

Been wearing mini twists for at least 2 months now as well but by accident.
My hair is as dry as a brillo pad so it stays in a sloppy bun.
This weekend I will wash and steam DC, then twist it up in chunky twists. I take care of my hair better when they are in chunky twists I notice. I can take down and moisturize easier.
I doubt I'll make the kind of WL that I wanted but next year for SURE it will be more full waist length. I guess I'll be staying away from the flat iron for another year.
Let's see, I got on the hair wave from Nov 2006 so call it 2007-2011 and then the damage occurred. So from 2011 to now, I had to grow a whole new set of heat damage free hair :(
By 2016 I'll be back to where I was before the damage. I.will.never.use.a.marcel.flat.iron.again.

Last edited:

ImanAdero

I think crochet braids will be my next protective style... I'll do them shorter than my actual hair and it'll give me easy access to my scalp, which is better than a full head weave...

Of course this a whole month away after I take these braids out of my head lol. But hey its good to plan ahead!

Froreal3

haulin hard in the paint
Hi ladies! I don't know, but for some reason I have a renewed interest in growing my hair longer. It's BSL right now (still). This past year there were a lot of changes going on in my life and I didn't really care for my hair the way I would have liked to.

However, this year I have a good feeling about my hair and a good feeling about other things going on in my life. I am coming back with a vengeance this year. I would like my hair to retain three more inches in the next year to put me at MBL. I will do this by keeping it simple with my wash routine.

I know I need more protein internally and externally. I will restart my protein shakes (I will drink two or three per day, eat a couple greek yogurts per day, and eat some type of meal replacement bar with a lot of protein. My protein goal is about 100 grams per day. For my hair, I will do a Komaza protein treatment every two weeks as I have been doing. To make it simple for myself, I will prepoo with an oil and the Komaza protein treatment. Then I will shampoo that out and deep condition afterward. I'm going to do it like this so I can cut down on the weekly washes. I feel like dcing and doing protein in one day every two weeks will be fine rather than alternating them weekly.

Not sure if I will do my typical topical growth aids (sulfur and MN). I will incorporate dusting every couple months as well.

Right now I have a Komaza protein treatment and APB Olive & Oats oil prepoo in my hair. I will shampoo this out, concentrating on my scalp, then moisturize and seal, and finish it in large twists that I will wear pinned up of course.

Wish me luck!

angelhairtype4

Hi ladies! I don't know, but for some reason I have a renewed interest in growing my hair longer. It's BSL right now (still). This past year there were a lot of changes going on in my life and I didn't really care for my hair the way I would have liked to.

However, this year I have a good feeling about my hair and a good feeling about other things going on in my life. I am coming back with a vengeance this year. I would like my hair to retain three more inches in the next year to put me at MBL. I will do this by keeping it simple with my wash routine.

I know I need more protein internally and externally. I will restart my protein shakes (I will drink two or three per day, eat a couple greek yogurts per day, and eat some type of meal replacement bar with a lot of protein. My protein goal is about 100 grams per day. For my hair, I will do a Komaza protein treatment every two weeks as I have been doing. To make it simple for myself, I will prepoo with an oil and the Komaza protein treatment. Then I will shampoo that out and deep condition afterward. I'm going to do it like this so I can cut down on the weekly washes. I feel like dcing and doing protein in one day every two weeks will be fine rather than alternating them weekly.

Not sure if I will do my typical topical growth aids (sulfur and MN). I will incorporate dusting every couple months as well.

Right now I have a Komaza protein treatment and APB Olive & Oats oil prepoo in my hair. I will shampoo this out, concentrating on my scalp, then moisturize and seal, and finish it in large twists that I will wear pinned up of course.

Wish me luck!

You can do it!

Let's make this home stretch ladies!

bluenvy

@Froreal3 if you not allergic to nuts, they have lots of protein. I like to leave a can by my bedside for a quick snack. Granola is another high protein fix. I buy a bag of it, and add it to cereals and yogurts. But I'm not at all consistent with these.
I read somewhere (Most likely here) about Brazilian women eating an high protein diet that helps get that long flowing hair. Please post how incorporating protein works for you.

JJamiah

Hola Ladies...
I am in hair care, skin care mode... :)
I finally got my hair DC'd with Miss Jessies Rapid Recovery and Dudley DRC.. my hair was also colored. :)
anyway, I am going to straighten my hair soon and head to the DR shop to get a trim.
I want to keep up those DRC treatments every 6 weeks and strive for weekly deep conditioning. Crossing my fingers. At that point of straightening it and trim, I will do the length check. Don't expect much ladies.. LOL

ImanAdero

I feel like I need a braid spray. I mixed some conditioner in a bottle with essential... But it's not doing much right now and my hair feels dry in these braids.

I just don't want to buy something new.