Heat Protectant Spray--what's the right way to use it

neet4

I used Silk Elements Megasilk Olive Heat Protection spray on my daughters hair today. I sprayed each section before I flat ironed it and it gave off a lot of smoke and now my nose and throat are very irritated. The flat iron results were great though.

Previously, I have always spritzed the whole head first and then flat ironed the sections and I have never gotten the smoke and the throat and nose irritation.

Just wondering how you all apply your heat protectant? Again, the flat iron results were great when I sprayed each section.

SuchaLady

Your flat iron was either too hot or you sprayed way too much. Ive been using that spray for years. Never gotten smoke. Was that your first time using it?

neet4

Your flat iron was either too hot or you sprayed way too much. Ive been using that spray for years. Never gotten smoke. Was that your first time using it?

This wasn't my first time using but it was the first time I sprayed each section before I flat ironed it. I probably used too much. The flat iron was set on 370 or 375.

SuchaLady

That is probably it. I spray in quadrants and get an even distribution.

This wasn't my first time using but it was the first time I sprayed each section before I flat ironed it. I probably used too much. The flat iron was set on 370 or 375.

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay

I've had that happen when I've sprayed each section neet4. I think spraying in quadrants is better.

naturalmanenyc

Maybe you used too much. I spray heat protectant on wet hair then blow dry and flat iron. I don't add more heat protectant after blow drying.

neet4

Maybe you used too much. I spray heat protectant on wet hair then blow dry and flat iron. I don't add more heat protectant after blow drying.

Then I definitely sprayed too much because I sprayed it before blow drying and sprayed more heat protectant before flat ironing.

Thanks!

nymane

I think heat protectants are most effective when applied to wet/damp hair (after DC'ing and as your last leave-in step).

I wouldn't apply any more to dry hair.

yynot

I don't think you're supposed to use heat protectants on dry hair, especially if the first ingredient is water. It's basically frying the hair? I remember reading this somewhere, so I always apply to wet hair after leave ins