Single Christian Women's Support - THE REMIX!

Divine.

LiftedUp If she lied about it, then this situation is different from what you asked. Your friend has already realized that lying about it was not the best decision. Therefore, lying or withholding this information would not be a good idea for you to do in future relationships. Now if you''re honest at the beginning and your significant other still gets mad, then unfortunately, he is not the right man for you.

Belle Du Jour

Been watching the Duggar show and reading some fundamental Christian family blogs (Bates, Wissmans, etc). I am FASCINATED on their approach to courtship and really admire how they raise godly children. Although I'm not sure of the quiverfull doctrine, as a Catholic, I am open to life and don't believe in the use of contraception. I do believe in Natural Family Planning and involving God in the decision to have children. That aside, I really do respect their family values.

Any thoughts on these communities?

Haddasah

Has anyone done Christian online dating? And if so, which sites? Two of my friends met someone through an online dating site and are now engaged.

bellatiamarie

I truly do love the Lord. I'm realizing that the closer I get to Him, the more I trust Him. James 4:8 says "Draw near to God and He will draw near to you." I'm definitely experiencing this and I'm so grateful. I'm noticing that whenever I start to get thoughts of loneliness or "woe is me," if I immediately turn to God rather than allowing those feelings to fester, He instills His peace and there's no other way to describe it--His peace definitely "surpasses all understanding." That's how I know it's real peace and not just something temporary. I'm realizing His Holy Word is living/breathing and can be applied to every situation that we deal with in life. I'm finding that there is UNMATCHED power in speaking a word rather than wallowing in negative emotions. I'm turning 30 this year, and today, I feel like I'm headed in the right direction because I'm being led by the Holy Spirit. My soul is being healed and I'm undergoing a transformation that only God can get the credit for today. Thank Jesus!! Ladies, stay on His potters wheel!

bellatiamarie

Have any of you ladies read a book called Single on Purpose by Jordi Bostock? I'm about half way through... And aside from some grammar and formatting issues, it's a pretty good read. The book is really prompting me to think and pray more about my purpose during my single season.

Divine.

Have any of you ladies read a book called Single on Purpose by Jordi Bostock? I'm about half way through... And aside from some grammar and formatting issues, it's a pretty good read. The book is really prompting me to think and pray more about my purpose during my single season.

I haven't read it, but I'm definitely being purposeful during this season. Every time my friend talks about her relationship, I am so thankful I'm single. You have more time to be developed and grow while you're single. I think I know what my purpose is, but in order to achieve it, I need to set aside the time. I only have that time now.

LoveisYou

I'm really enjoying this season in my life. I have NO interests in dating/entertaining anyone who isn't the one. I prayed and asked God to send the one in His time, but until then it will be me and God!

Divine.

I'm really enjoying this season in my life. I have NO interests in dating/entertaining anyone who isn't the one. I prayed and asked God to send the one in His time, but until then it will be me and God!

I prayed this prayer this weekend! I am enjoying this season as well and I don't want anyone I'm not gonna have a future with distract me. Not interested!

Divine.

I prayed this prayer this weekend! I am enjoying this season as well and I don't want anyone I'm not gonna have a future with distract me. Not interested!

God has a crazy way of answering prayers. He is making sure I remain hidden. An old flame came into town and for the first time we didn't see each other. I'm so glad this chapter is over. I don't want anyone unless they're God's best.

tuffCOOKiE

Has anyone read this? Very interesting and something to think about for those that plan on courting. Also, the entire article is not quoted here.

Why Courtship is Fundamentally Flawed

I grew up as a member of the homeschool community back when we were hiding from the cops and getting our textbooks from public school dumpsters. When I was a teenager, my friends started reading this new book called I Kissed Dating Goodbye. For months we could talk of little else. After reading it myself, I grew into as big an opponent of dating as you could find. Dating was evil and Courtship, whatever it was, was godly, good and Biblical.

My grandparents would often ask why I wasn’t dating in high school. I explained what courtship was and quoted Joshua Harris, chapter and verse. Their response surprised me.

“I don’t think courtship is a smart idea,” my grandfather said.

“How can you tell who you want to marry if you aren’t going out on dates?” my grandmother wondered every time the topic came up. I tried to convince them but to no avail. They both obstinately held to the position that courtship was a foolish idea.

Well, what did they know? They were public schooled. I ignored their advice on relationships, preferring to listen to the young people around me who were passionate advocates of courtship.

As I grew older, I started to speak at homeschool conferences and events. I talked with homeschool parents, students and alumni all over the country and started to see some challenges with making courtship work.

Some of the specific challenges I identified were:

Identification (Finding that other person)
Interaction (Spending time with the other person)
Initiation (Starting the relationship)
So I founded PracticalCourtship.com. Its purpose: to instigate a national conversation about how to make courtship more practical. Visits and comments poured in from all over the country about how to make courtship work and why it did not work.

Each year I waited for courtship to start working and for my homeschool friends to start getting married. It never happened. Most of them are still single. Some have grown bitter and jaded. Then couples who did get married through courtship started getting divorced. I’m talking the kind of couples who first kissed at their wedding were filing for divorce.

This was not the deal!

The deal was that if we put up with the rules and awkwardness of courtship now we could avoid the pain of divorce later. The whole point of courtship was to have a happy marriage, not a high divorce rate.

So I humbled myself and took my grandmother out for dinner to hear why she thought courtship was a bad idea all those years ago. She had predicted the failure of courtship back in the 90s and I wanted to understand how and why.

But first let me define what I mean by “courtship”.

So what is courtship anyway?

After 20 years there still is no general consensus as to what courtship is. But here are the elements most conservative communities have in common:

The man must ask the woman’s father’s permission before pursuing the woman romantically.
High accountability (chaperones, monitored correspondence, etc).
Rules about physical contact and purity. (The specific rules vary from community to community).
The purpose of the courtship is marriage
High relational intentionality and intensity
High parental involvement. Fathers typically hold a “permission and control” role rather than the traditional “advice and blessing” role held by their fathers.
The Case for Traditional Dating

My grandmother grew up in a marginally Christian community. People went to church on Sunday but that was the extent of their religious activity. They were not the Bible-reading, small-grouping, mission-tripping Christian young people common in evangelical churches today.

And yet her community of friends all got married and then stayed married for decades and decades. So what on earth were they doing that worked so well? Over dinner, my grandmother shared her story about what dating was like back in the the 30s and 40s.

When my grandmother dated in middle school (yes, middle school) her parents had only one rule for her.

The One Dating Rule: Don’t go out with the same guy twice in a row.

So if she went out for soda with Bob on Tuesday, she had to go to a movie with Bill on Thursday before she could go to the school dance with Bob on Saturday.

That sounded crazy to me. So, I asked her the rationale behind it. She explained that the lack of exclusivity helped them guard their hearts and kept things from getting too serious too quickly. The lack of exclusivity kept the interactions fun and casual. “The guys wouldn’t even want to kiss you!” She said.

The lack of exclusivity helped the girls guard their hearts and kept the boys from feeling entitled to the girl. How could a boy have a claim to her time, heart or body if she was going out with someone else later that week?

She went on to explain that by the time she graduated from high school, she had gone out on dates with over 20 different guys. This meant that by the time she was 17 years old she knew which Bob she wanted to marry. They got married and stayed married till my grandfather passed away half a century later.

“If I had only gone out with 3 or 4 guys I wouldn’t have known what I wanted in a husband,” she said.

It is not that her parents were uninvolved; it is that they played an advisory role, particularly as she entered high school and they relaxed the rules about not going steady.

The Difference Between “Dating” and “Going Steady”

She went on to explain that there used to be a linguistic differentiation between “dating” and “going steady”. “Going steady” meant you were going out with the same person multiple times in a row. It often had symbols like the girl wearing the guy’s letter jacket. This telegraphed to everyone at school that she was “off the market” and that she had a “steady beau”.

It seems that my great grandparents’ rule forbidding my grandmother from going out with the same guy twice in a row was a common rule in those days.

The Greatest Generation was encouraged to date and discouraged from going steady while in middle school.

This is different from my generation, which is encouraged to “wait until you are ready to get married” before pursuing a romantic relationship. This advice, when combined with the fact that “the purpose of courtship is marriage”, makes asking a girl out for dinner the emotional equivalent of asking for her hand in marriage.

I am not convinced that anyone is ever truly ready to get married. Readiness can become a carrot on a stick, an ideal that can never be achieved. Marriage will always be a bit like jumping into a pool of cold water. A humble realization that you are not ready and in need of God’s help may be the more healthy way to start a marriage.

As the decades moved on, our language and behavior changed. We stopped using the phrase “going steady” and changed “dating” to mean “going steady”. For example, we would now say “John and Sarah have been dating for 3 months.” when the Greatest Generation would have said “John and Sarah have been going steady for 3 months.”

We then started using new pejoratives like “dating around” and “playing the field” to describe what used to just be called “dating”. Each decade added more exclusivity, intensity, and commitment to dating and saw a subsequent rise in temptation and promiscuity.

It is easier to justify promiscuity when you are exclusively committed to just one person, even if that commitment is only a week old.

In the late 80s and early 90s this promiscuous culture reached its peak. People would “go steady” for just a few weeks and then move on to the next relationship. It was this “hookup and breakup” culture that the founders of courtship were reacting to.

But their proposed solution involved adding even more commitment, exclusivity and intensity, the very things that lead to the problem in the first place. This is why courtship is fundamentally flawed.

The courtship movement eliminated dating and replaced it with nothing.

Or, put another way, they replaced dating with engagement. The only tangible difference between an engagement and a courtship is the ring and the date.

http://www.thomasumstattd.com/2014/08/courtship-fundamentally-flawed/

Maracujá

November 2020 --> 14 years natural!!!
^^I've only heard one other person say that even courtship is not Biblically based because it doesn't differ too much from worldly dating...I'm so torn on this one so off to read this lengthy article after my morning jog.

Maracujá

November 2020 --> 14 years natural!!!
Read most of the article. Hmmm. He makes some very valid points but I just don't see how dating like that has anything to do with the Bible...

Divine.

Read most of the article. Hmmm. He makes some very valid points but I just don't see how dating like that has anything to do with the Bible...

I kind of understand why he says courtship increases the intensity of the commitment. I agree with that point. My friend was courting (I guess you can call it that) and her relationship turned me off completely. Planning marriages at 3 months? Planning saving accounts? I want to be married, but not right this second. Her relationship made me appreciate my singleness so much more. Needless to say, they broke up because she felt stifled.

I think courting works if both parties are mature enough to handle the responsibility that comes with it. Personally I don't think she was ready yet. The wedding may be a fairytale, but most marriages do not look that. Marriage is a ministry of its own. I think only a small number of my friends are able to handle that type of responsibility.

That blog is based on his friends' experiences. I'm sure many of them married quite young, and had no idea what they wanted in any spouse. Not only that, he doesn't mention how God was involved in this courting process. Did God confirm to these individuals that they were to be married? Or did they just make that decision on their feelings?

The one point I mentioned is the only point I agree with. However, I believe courting has value to individuals who are genuinely ready for marriage mentally and spiritually. This all boils down to God's timing.

LiftedUp

My take on/approach to courtship is a bit different. I think if you take something from a negative outlook you will get a lot of negative responses likewise, with taking it from a positive view you may yield mainly positive responses. Taking it from a critical point of view allows you to look at it from a balanced view and weigh the pros and cons to determine if it works for you and if it would yield the outcomes you want. My main purpose for "dating" is determining if a man is worthy enough to be the head of our household because that is the role a husband plays in a marriage.

Ephesians 5:23 (NIV)

23 For the husband is the head of the wife as Christ is the head of the church, his body, of which he is the Savior.

1 Corinthians 11:3(KJV)

3 But I would have you know, that the head of every man is Christ; and the head of the woman is the man; and the head of Christ is God.

What makes Christian courtship unique, in contrast to dating, is the intent and the nature of the relationship. In short, you should only go out with someone for the purpose of it leading toward a God honoring marriage. You don’t call out the affections of someone, or let your own heart be toyed with unless you are ready for marriage and unless you believe that person is someone you would seriously consider spending the rest of your life with.

Courtship allows you, at least for me personally, have serious discussions from early on. When I say early on, I mean first date early or even before that. The intentions of both you and the other person are put on the table from the outset. The important thing is knowing what you want and your values and in my opinion, seeing if this potential mate, meets you on those common grounds. It's amazing how honest men can be if you asked them from the inception what are their intentions. Now, it doesn't mean planning your wedding within the first month of seeing each other, it means that you both have the intention of marriage at the center. So your conversations and getting to know you period is basically getting to know if this person would make a compatible spouse.

Proverbs 4:23 (NIV) Above all else, guard your heart, for everything you do flows from it.

Courting over the years have taught me many things. That you cannot change a person, that you have to find common grounds on what you want to compromise on, things that you can/cannot live with etc. I have never been in a relationship with a man who didn't want marriage, however, those relationships did not end in marriage because during the courting period I realized that there are certain qualities of those men that I couldn't live with. They just weren't compatible with me.

Different people define biblical courtship in different ways. There is no agreed definition but here is my attempt at one: biblical courtship is the period of time in which a man who is romantically interested in a woman pursues her in an intentional way with the hope of marrying her.

I agree with this as well. I don't think that "biblical courtship" is clearly defined in the bible. It is just Christian principles used in the "dating" world. So though one is not as hardcore as the Bates or Duggars lol, it that doesn't mean that you do not practice courtship per se. Courtship is Christ centered which is preparation for a Christian centered marriage. With that said, I know people who were hardcore courters (no physical contact, chaperoned dates etc.) and persons who were more lax. Courtship to me does not mean combining finances etc. At the end of the day you are not actually married. Also the length of courtship differs for many, like dating.

I think the fear of courting is brought about by a lot of worldly thinking, like, Steve Harvey books etc. Not wanting to be too available etc. However, I think that it's inculcating a culture of not being yourself but transforming your mindset into one which will attract the type of man who is attracted to that type of woman.

Now, by no means is anyone perfect and we all falter. But, I like courtship. I like not "going out with Bob on Tuesday, Bill on Thursday and then Bob again on Saturday". I wouldn't be being myself. I'm way to conservative for that. I like knowing if a man is marriage minded from day one. I like knowing that a man knows that during this courting period I'm determining if he's husband material and I like knowing that he's doing the same with me. I like that our parents are all up in our business because they hold similar views and want the best husband or wife for their daughter or son. I'm telling you, my parents are all up in my business lol. Personal story: My friend and her boyfriend were courting for 3 years. They planned on getting married within the next 2 years. One day, his father said, you need to marry that girl. Within 6 months she went from girlfriend to fiancee to wife. His father saw something in her that he wanted for his son immediately.

Courtship it works for me. I think it's fundamental to know yourself first and know what works for you.

Sources used in the quotations:
http://www.christiantoday.com/article/what.is.biblical.courtship/35286.htm
http://www.christian-courtship.com/

stephluv

So im 29 now and im even less trusting and more discouraged about my relationship status Not due to my age but it seems the older and more mature I get the more I run into losers smh and bad situations Ive reached a I dont care mode But im very happy and encouraging for others They still have a chance but me im not so sure anymore which ladies I can aaccept

Belle Du Jour

I agree with LiftedUp. I think people can get to know each other casually (no romantic interaction aka friendship dating) but when courtship is underway, it means we are seriously discerning if we are called to marry each other. It means tackling deeper issues up front to see if the compatibility is even there, getting to know our friends and families, praying, etc. I think courtship is ideal burt finding a man who understands courtship and who's willing to die to self in the relationship is rare.

Divine.

So im 29 now and im even less trusting and more discouraged about my relationship status Not due to my age but it seems the older and more mature I get the more I run into losers smh and bad situations Ive reached a I dont care mode But im very happy and encouraging for others They still have a chance but me im not so sure anymore which ladies I can aaccept

I try not to look at it like that. I value myself so much that I refuse to lower my stock by associating with men who I know aren't God's best. Since adapting to this mindset, it doesn't bother me when I come across men who are not up to par. I quickly dismiss them and keep it moving. Maybe my opinion will change as I get older, but as someone who has never been in a relationship, it's just as easy for me to get discouraged.

Try not to be too nonchalant about the situation. Accept it with joy because you have been spared from a lifelong relationship with a no good loser! :lol:

stephluv

I try not to look at it like that. I value myself so much that I refuse to lower my stock by associating with men who I know aren't God's best. Since adapting to this mindset, it doesn't bother me when I come across men who are not up to par. I quickly dismiss them and keep it moving. Maybe my opinion will change as I get older, but as someone who has never been in a relationship, it's just as easy for me to get discouraged.

Try not to be too nonchalant about the situation. Accept it with joy because you have been spared from a lifelong relationship with a no good loser! :lol:

Yessss so true Divine.

stephluv

Divine. Dating God!! We chose my outfit for church yesterday! I've been wearing heels to church every night cause well I want to look nice for him lol I wore heels on dates shoot Right now I'm just praying on removing these desires for physical intimacy so if anyone has advice please send so I only sleep a few hrs as its my thoughts I can't control and yet I still am not interested in anyone I won't even look in a guys face I don't want anyone mistaking it for interest Plus I'm dating God so they gotta get Gods attention to step in

Shimmie I feel God healing me everywhere as even tonight I gave him past bitterness and unforgiveness I even had towards HIM With this mentioned is it wrong that I'm almost afraid to be healed... I don't want to make a mistake again esp when it comes to a mate I want to be used for Gods plan for me... Oh it's like a new job... You get the position learn it and apply it but your always nervous to make a mistake and lose your assignment

Whew I'm rambling tonight But I want to give God the praise and thank him I'm not embarrassed of him or his work in me

Divine.

stephluvYes, this is how you do it! God loves you more than any man ever could. He is truly a healer! When you cast all your cares onto him, he will do the rest :yep: I'm so happy you're finding joy!

I really need to work on my excitement when I see someone attractive :look: My mind kicks into overdrive :lol: I start planning my future almost immediately. This has always been an area where I struggled and it flares up every now and again.

Last edited:

mz.rae

Ok so I met a guy last October at a funeral he is a minister, we talked for a little bit laughed and then he left and we added each other on Facebook. After that we didn't talk anymore, until this pass June. He messaged me on Facebook saying he was interested but wasn't sure how I would have felt about him approaching me like that in that type of setting. Anyway, he asked for my phone number and I gave it to him. We talked and went out on two dates. We really hit it off and are so much alike it's really interesting, his birthday is the day after mine as well. Anyways our last date was in July and I haven't heard from him unless I would text him like hey hope you're well and I hope we get to hang again soon. Frankly I think he was just being polite when he said we would and the last time I texted him was in August. Because I'm not on having to text a person first all the time to get them to talk. I'm like just be upfront if you're no longer interested then just say so, I'm not on that be polite hopefully they'll take the hint stuff. This really has me scratching my head. Frankly after this experience and another I had I'm no longer interested in dating a guy that's a Christian, or involved in the church they are too wishy-washy.

mz.rae

So I may have been harsh in my previous post, but that guy really did hurt my feelings. I mean I know we only went on two dates therefore it really wasn't that serious. But at the same time I feel like the Christ like thing to do from a Christian perspective is to be upfront and to let his intentions be known. When I would contact him and say "hey had a good time hanging out with you I hope we can hang out again soon." If he knew that he was no longer interested instead of saying and giving the impression that we would just say you are no longer interested. I guess I'm just one to not give a person false hope, or be on the whole hopefully they will take the hint type thing. I've always found it easier to just be upfront that a way there aren't any misunderstandings. It just boggles my mind how a person can treat someone like this, and then go on to preach to people at different church functions. Now hey maybe I'm taking this the wrong way, and if so I pray God shows me what is really going on. Maybe he has been busy or whatever the case may be. But still then to me that just goes back to being upfront. People like this are perfect examples of why I have a hard time opening up to people and letting them in. And it's usually church people that I have burned the most by.

Haddasah

Sometimes life's struggles are so great that I don't even know what to pray for, what is it that my heart and soul truly needs in order to feel soothed? I don't know if Im making sense

Divine.

So I may have been harsh in my previous post, but that guy really did hurt my feelings. I mean I know we only went on two dates therefore it really wasn't that serious. But at the same time I feel like the Christ like thing to do from a Christian perspective is to be upfront and to let his intentions be known. When I would contact him and say "hey had a good time hanging out with you I hope we can hang out again soon." If he knew that he was no longer interested instead of saying and giving the impression that we would just say you are no longer interested. I guess I'm just one to not give a person false hope, or be on the whole hopefully they will take the hint type thing. I've always found it easier to just be upfront that a way there aren't any misunderstandings. It just boggles my mind how a person can treat someone like this, and then go on to preach to people at different church functions. Now hey maybe I'm taking this the wrong way, and if so I pray God shows me what is really going on. Maybe he has been busy or whatever the case may be. But still then to me that just goes back to being upfront. People like this are perfect examples of why I have a hard time opening up to people and letting them in. And it's usually church people that I have burned the most by.

I'm so sorry you had to go through this! I hope you don't let this experience taint your future experiences with men in the church.

I am a firm proponent of dating with purpose. On the first date, I would've put everything out there. I would've asked what his intentions were, if he was interested in a relationship (and potentially marriage), and whether or not he anticipated the friendship to progress. My time is valuable, so I need make sure neither of us are wasting it.

I know some people are against doing that and want things to happen organically, but in my experience, the "relationships" I allowed to grow organically all failed because I was stuck in a perpetual state of waiting. Waiting for him to make the first move. Waiting for him to set up the next date. Waiting for him to make things official. If both of you are in agreement from the start, then you're both working together to make the relationship grow.

Men are never going to tell you they're not interested. They'll either say it in a way that is vague (thus giving you false hope) or just stop talking to you. I have found that most men avoid conflict like the plague.They also can only deal with one thing at a time. That could be why he stopped speaking to you. If he's busy, that could be the one thing that is occupying his time right now.

If he does pop back in, I wouldn't take him seriously until you two are on one accord.

Divine.

Sometimes life's struggles are so great that I don't even know what to pray for, what is it that my heart and soul truly needs in order to feel soothed? I don't know if Im making sense

When I get like this, I call on the Holy Spirit and allow him to pray for me :yep: Things usually break in the spiritual realm when I do this. He knows what to say even when we don't.

mz.rae

I'm so sorry you had to go through this! I hope you don't let this experience taint your future experiences with men in the church.

I am a firm proponent of dating with purpose. On the first date, I would've put everything out there. I would've asked what his intentions were, if he was interested in a relationship (and potentially marriage), and whether or not he anticipated the friendship to progress. My time is valuable, so I need make sure neither of us are wasting it.

I know some people are against doing that and want things to happen organically, but in my experience, the "relationships" I allowed to grow organically all failed because I was stuck in a perpetual state of waiting. Waiting for him to make the first move. Waiting for him to set up the next date. Waiting for him to make things official. If both of you are in agreement from the start, then you're both working together to make the relationship grow.

Men are never going to tell you they're not interested. They'll either say it in a way that is vague (thus giving you false hope) or just stop talking to you. I have found that most men avoid conflict like the plague.They also can only deal with one thing at a time. That could be why he stopped speaking to you. If he's busy, that could be the one thing that is occupying his time right now.

If he does pop back in, I wouldn't take him seriously until you two are on one accord.

Thank you so much for your advice! I will know better next time.

Haddasah

Mini Victory :) :) :)

I signed onto my Facebook and was bombarded by images/post of people in new relationships or married or with newborns. I felt that familiar grip in my heart of bitter sweetness and depression ..happy for the people but feeling like I'm a failure/undesired. AND instead of continuing to go down that path...I prayed and stated: Lord, I believe that YOU know what is best for me at THIS time in my life, I know that at the right time that my desires will be realized and I refuse to lose hope in you and throw myself a pity party!

PRAISE GOD!!! I hope to have this attitude daily...it's a battle
On a side note- Im going to take a break from facebook, I did this sometime ago for a year and Im thinking its about that time again