Help with Conditioning after weave

hairqueenny

Hi Ladies,

I'm trying to get a successful regimen for my natural hair and I have to takedown my weave this weekend :perplexed. I usually go to the salon to do this but want to do this myself and need some help. I would like to use as many products that I already have and understand I may need to purchase a few suggested. I think I need to do a DC protein treatment and then a moisturizing DC but I'm not so sure which ones fall into the category. Please help! Here's what I plan to do so far:

1) Spray braids with Creme of Nature Argan Oil Strength & Shine Leave In Conditioner
2) Take out Braids and Separate hair into Sections
3)Apply Kinky Curly Knot Today to each section & detangle by section (have to purchase)
4)ACV rinse for scalp by section (have to purchase Braggs ACV)
5)Shampoo in sections using Creme of Nature Argan Oil Moisture & Shine Shampoo
6) Apply Protein Treatment in sections (how long should I do this)
7) Apply Moisture Conditioner (how long should I do this)

The conditioners I have are:
Creme of Nature Argan Oil Intensive Conditioning Treatment
Shea Moisture Yucca & Baobab Anti Breakage Masque

I also have Jamaican Black Castor Oil

Thanks in advance!

hairqueenny

Thanks so much for replying and forgive me. I'm sure that would help right...

Creme of Nature Argan Oil Intensive Conditioning Treatment Ingredients:
Aqua (Water), Glycerin, Cetearyl Alcohol, Cetyl Alcohol, Dicetyldimonium Chloride, Polyquaternium-32, Peg-12 Dimethicone, Lanolin Oil, Paraffinum Liquidum (Mineral Oil), Behentrimonium Methosulfate, Phenyl Trimethicone, Polyquaternium-10, Amodimethicone, Isopropyl Alcohol, Isostearyl Ethylimidazolinium Ethosulfate, Ppg-1 Trideceth-6, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Panthenol, Hydrolyzed Wheat Starch, Argania Spinosa Kernel Oil, Olea Europaea (Olive) Fruit Oil, Honey, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract, Cocodimonium Hydroxypropyl Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Sodium Chloride, Parfum (Fragrance), Phenoxyethanol, Methylparaben, Ethylparaben, Butylparaben, Isobutylparaben, Propylparaben.

Shea Moisture Yucca & Baobab Anti Breakage Masque Ingredients:
Deionized Water , Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter) , Cocos Nucifera Oil (Coconut) , Mangifera Indica Seed Butter (Mango) , Persea Gratissima Oil (Avocado) , Olea Europaea Oil (Olive) , Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract , Ammonium Salt (Conditioner) , Yucca Filamentosa Extract , Vegetable Protein , Adansonia Digitata Extract (Baobab) , Biotin , Panthenol (Vitamin B-5) , Rosemary Extract , Bamboo Extract , Sorbitol Esters , Caprylyl Glycol , Essential Oil Blend , Lonicera Caprifolium Flower and Lonicera Japonica Flower Extract (Honeysuckle and Japanese Honeysuckle) , Tocopherol (Vitamin E)

hairqueenny

Thank you so much! I feel kind of stupid asking these questions but I know there's no better place to get the answers.

SuchaLady

I wear weave all the time. More than my real hair :look: Ditch the leave in spray. Unnecessary step. I own it and it doesn't detangle. Find your favorite oil/HOT treatment. Drench the braids and I mean drench! Unravel braids and detangle each one as you go. Then before you wash detangle again! Sounds like overkill but it's nothing worse than having to detangle wet tangled hair so get as much out as you can now. When coming out of a sew in I usually comb by braid then quadrants then halves and I run the comb through my head one last time. Next you will want to wash with a moisturizing shampoo, protein treatment, and follow up with your deep conditioner.

hairqueenny

Thanks suchalady. What oil do you recommend? I have Jamaican black castor oil but that seems like it would be too thick. What do you use? Also, what kind of protein conditioner do you recommend? How long should I keep it in? Is overnight too long?

EnExitStageLeft

:lachen: @SuchaLady

I was just about to tag you :).

@hairqueenny

Everything @SuchaLady and @southerncitygirl said.

But here's my spin....

Detangle and Remove at least 95% of your shed hairs.

I agree with @SuchaLady oil is so much better for dry detangling. Once the braid/ a good amount of the tangles are removed use a cheapy conditioner to really up the detangling. Like Herbal Essences Hello Hydrations, Suave Naturals or V05...aka something slippy and cheap. Leave the oil/conditioner on for at least an hour before rinsing. This will also serve as your Pre-Shampoo treatment.

Clarify and follow with the Creme of Nature Argan Oil Shampoo

Clarify, so that you can remove all traces of buildup from the hair strand. I see your fond of drugstore brands, so I say go with the V05 Kiwi and Lime Clarifying Shampoo. @myronnie uses this and her hair (like mine) is very picky when it comes to Shampoo and she likes it.

After Clarifying, Follow with the Creme Of Nature Argan oil shampoo because it's moisturizing, aids in detangling and contains Carboxylic Acid (read about the benefits here). This ingredient helps protein bind to the hair shaft better.

That brings me to my next step....PROTEIN!

For this step use your Anti-Breakage Mask. Like @southerncitygirl said it doesn't contain a sufficient amount of protein needed for a post-weave wash day. So to help it out add 1 or 2 egg yolks to it. (Try this, 2 oz's of the Mask, 2 egg yolks and 1 tbs of the oil of your choice, if you try this mixture DO NOT USE HEAT, it'll cook the egg). I use to do this all the time before my PJ'ism kicked in.

Next step is a MOISTURIZING Deep Condition!

Apply your Creme of Nature Intensive Treatment and leave it on for 30 minutes with heat (1 hour w/o).

Next layer your Leave Ins:

Liquid (Creme of Nature Argan Oil Strength & Shine Leave In Conditioner), Creme (Kinky Kurly Knot Today) and Oil (Your Choice, I say go with a favorite)

AND BAM!

Post-Weave Wash Day DEMOLISHED! :happydance:<-----This will be your hair :lachen:

Last edited:

hairqueenny

Thanks so much EnExitStageLeft for this step by step process! I will definitely be following this to a T on wash day. Now I am ready and excited to make it happen. The best part is I could use most of the things I have already in my stash!!!! I will post pics when I'm done.

atlien11

I also wanted to add: Make sure you are aware of your styling tools. Don't use anything that will rip your hair out. Seamless combs and brushes if you have them. This seems like an obvious step but its sometimes not thought about until you get started and by then it may be too late to run out and purchase if needed.

And like SuchALady mentioned section, section, section.

Last edited:

Froreal3

haulin hard in the paint
I agree with all that these ladies have suggested. I will reiterate making sure you detangle slowly, preferably with your fingers and then with the seamless comb with the oil. I would let the oil soak in there for a couple hours too before you attempt to detangle.

hairqueenny

I also wanted: Make sure you are aware of your styling tools. Don't use anything that will rip your hair out. Seamless combs and brushes if you have them. This seems like an obvious step but its sometimes not thought about until you get started and by then it may be too late to run out and purchase if needed.

And like SuchALady mentioned section, section, section.

This is the comb I have is seamless :look:. It's a very wide tooth comb that I purchased. I just googled seamless combs and it came up and then combs with seams and it came up again. This is the comb I have:

http://www.target.com/p/evolve-larg.../-/A-13968937#prodSlot=medium_1_14&term=combs

myronnie

EnExitStageLeft I actually use the VO5 Vanilla Mint Tea Clarifying Shampoo on a regular basis! I haven't tried the Kiwi and Lime one yet :D
You gave awesome advice!!
hairquenny I hope everything goes smoothly with your takedown

hairqueenny

hairqueenny

How did it go?

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

I actually put the weave takedown off until next week because I had so much going on the last two weekends. Since the holiday is coming up and I have Labor Day off, I will dedicate the entire weekend to pamper my hair. I will definitely keep everyone posted and do a length check!

hairqueenny

So I finally took down this weave today. I started at 7pm and just finished with detangling :nono:. I soaked my hair with oil (olive oil), took out the braids, detangled, applied Vo5 moisturizing conditioner and detangled again. I put my hair in about 8 twists, put a shower cap on and I'm going to bed. I hope it's ok to leave this conditioner and oil on overnight. Tomorrow I will start the washing and conditioning process. How long should I keep in the protein treatment? I will be adding egg to my conditioner as suggested by EnExitStageLeft.

FemmeFatale

So you ladies do protein treatments after a takedown? Hmm I wonder if I should give it a try.. all of the other steps are the same for me outside of that, I use the ORS Replenishing Pak which is a light protein but mainly moisturizing conditioner. I'm usually 12-14 weeks post and I'm trying to replenish the strands with moisture. After my touchup/texlax which is usually a week or 2 later I use my Joico Kpak.

hairqueenny

I'm finally done with shampooing, conditioning, and moisturizing my hair. It's still tangled though! I have been finger detangling in sections today because I put it in twist last night to dry. I bought a wig yesterday at the BSS because I didn't know what else to do with this matted mess. My hair seems a little damaged to me though. I don't have nearly as much shrinkage as I used to n the ends are pretty straight. Here is a pic of my current hair, smh. I need to get a Reggie soon to bring my hair back to life. I have some length and don't want to cut it all off. Any suggestions?

image-3971903209.jpg

SuchaLady

Did you get all the dead hair out? I dont like overnight DC's especially after a weave takedown, way too much tangling. Our lovely JJamiah had something similar to happen to her. Perhaps you can PM her.

hairqueenny

Did you get all the dead hair out? I dont like overnight DC's especially after a weave takedown, way too much tangling. Our lovely JJamiah had something similar to happen to her. Perhaps you can PM her.

I think all the dead hair is out because I have no more shedding. My thick roots are just tangled! I can't even put a part in my hair. I was thinking about getting the keracare detangling shampoo and using the next week. It seems like a lot of ladies use it and I'm helping it will aid in detangling my hair. I've been doing back to back weaves for 3 years and now I'm shocked that it took such a short amount of time for stylist to take down, wash, and braid me back up. It's taking me 3 days to detangle at this point.

bklynbornNbred

You need to detangle now with a wide tooth comb. Do it in small sections with some oil or a creamy leave in. Since you have a wig the parts won't matter just comb it out and braid each section to pin up.

Do a pre poo before your next wash with the slippiest conditioner you have then slowly take down each section and detangle again before you wash.

Your mistake was doing that overnight conditioner. No matter how many people on here love it, my hair hates it. I get much better results when I sit under dryer for 20 minutes then letting conditioner sit for hours at a time.

hairqueenny

I braided my hair up and put my wig on today. I will just continue to moisturize until next wash day. I will not do the overnight conditioner next time and see how my hair responds.

atlien11

I know people run from cones but it really helps with the detangle process. U may want to try an Aussie Moist or cone-heavy condish just this once to get a good detangle session In. That's also what your stylist may have been using. Goodluck!

hairqueenny