What is a good product for growing back your edges?

MAHOGNEY329

Future ESQ. w/nice hair:)
Hello, A good friend of mine is struggling with growing out her edges. Can any of you recommend products or techniques that might help her gain strength and new growth. She is currently using ORS Mayo.

Thanks in advance. :)

Bklynqueen

Dr. Miracles nape and temple balm is very, very good. This grew my hairline back due to postpartem hair loss. My sister used it ( and she was quite bald in the temple area) and it grew back thick. My boyfriend's mom is experiencing hairloss due to menopause and I bought it for her 2 weeks ago and I just saw her the other day and I'm starting to see fine, baby gray hairs growing in the bald patch ( right in the middle of her hair- poor thing).

MAHOGNEY329

Thank you so much. She keeps her hair weaved up and I really don't understand why she has damage around the edges.

Neen

Why did her edges come out? For a long time my temple area was looking 'sparse' but then I started taking iron and the hair came back. She may want to get her iron levels checked out, just to make sure.

MAHOGNEY329

Wow, I did not know that iron, could do that to your hair. Thanks for letting me know. I will pass that information on to her:).

Avaya

What is in Dr. Miracles nape and temple balm (ingredients)? I have recently noticed some severe breakage myself along my edges (actually, it is the right side in the front and the left side in the back). I need a new beautician, I know that much!

Neen

PrincessAvaya said:
What is in Dr. Miracles nape and temple balm (ingredients)? I have recently noticed some severe breakage myself along my edges (actually, it is the right side in the front and the left side in the back). I need a new beautician, I know that much!

Do you get a relaxer? I get that from overlap. One beautician I saw about 2 years ago could actually see the line of 'demarcation', or where the old and new relaxer met (overlapped). My dermatologist said the same thing.

Last edited:

LegallySpeaking

MAHOGNEY329 said:
Thank you so much. She keeps her hair weaved up and I really don't understand why she has damage around the edges.
The weaves may be the cause. The same thing happened to me from continuously having tension on the edges from the braids. She should also make sure her natural hair is braided differently each time.

melodee

My temples thinned due to the combo of relaxers and dominican blow outs. This is why I refrain from blowouts unless I have considerable growth.

Dreamn

Chasing the Unicorn
my edges thinned out because of my satin bonnet. i toss and turn a lot when i sleep so my satin bonnet moves all around and the ribbon part used to rub my edges and it rubbed them right on out.

i dont think any product really made my edges grow back. i just put moisturizer on them every night (organic root stimulator olive oil moisturizer, elasta qp recovery, s-curl, or wild growth oil) to help them from falling out due to rubbing. i also wrap a satin scarf around them depending on my hairstyle after i moisturize them.

MAHOGNEY329

Thank you all for the suggestions and advice. Please keep them coming and I will make sure that I pass them on to my friend:)

miracle

I had great success with Profectiv's Growth N' Healing Anti-Thinning Circulation Stimulant. I used this on my nape area after experiencing breakage from constantly tying my satin scarf at my nape every night. I noticed new growth appearing about two weeks after usage.

LABETT

I grew back in my thinned hairline and bald spots with Nioxin Follicule Booster.
I saw results after two weeks. I use this product before Nexxus Biotin Creme and Surge were available.
Profectiv Anti Thinning Creme and Castor will work too.

tryn2growmyhair

melodee said:
My temples thinned due to the combo of relaxers and dominican blow outs. This is why I refrain from blowouts unless I have considerable growth.

Ditto, I stopped blowouts all together and this has helped tremendously. Stopping the frequency of rollersets also helped. I also used Cathy Howse's recipe with peppermint and used a lot of peppermint in my conditioner and started using Ultra Nourishair and started growing lots of hair (even some hair I did not want :(), so who knows what helped it to work. Trying to avoid styling this area and not tying it back too tightly might help a lot, IMO.

tryn2growmyhair

honeydrop215 said:
my edges thinned out because of my satin bonnet. i toss and turn a lot when i sleep so my satin bonnet moves all around and the ribbon part used to rub my edges and it rubbed them right on out.

i dont think any product really made my edges grow back. i just put moisturizer on them every night (organic root stimulator olive oil moisturizer, elasta qp recovery, s-curl, or wild growth oil) to help them from falling out due to rubbing. i also wrap a satin scarf around them depending on my hairstyle after i moisturize them.
Hmm... I worried about this and the rubber from the plastic cap I wear at night when my hair is really oily also causing this to happen to me.

landakaye

I have used the Profectiv (it smells nice). I have used the Dr. Miracles one and it works cuz I could totally see the difference after 2 weeks but the smell made me nauseous but right now I am trying the Nexxus Biotin creme cuz im trying to stick to one brand so I dont know about that one yet but the other 2 I mentioned work.

cutebajangirl

honeydrop215 said:

Exact same thing happened to me. I had way more edges before I started covering my hair at night. Now I sleep un covered on a satin pillowcase and they are steadily getting thicker. Also when I wear my own hair I alternate between rollersets and airdrying followed by a flat iron (for straight looks).

BAILEYSCREAM

ORS Fertilizing temple balm or serum. Tell her to massage it in every night to stimulate the scalp. Surge 14 and Nexxus Biotin shampoo and cream.

ETA: BTW, I have used all the above products personally.

Last edited:

LoriLOCX

S-Curl. Keep the hair really moist, like a jeri curl. It will grow like a weed from the moisture as long as alot of stress isn't put on that area.

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
I can vouch for Dr. Miracles temple and nape balm. I using it, my hair in the back is now growing as fast as the front. I use several products, but since starting it, I noticed a plus!