seems that shampoo isn't really necessary...

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
seems that shampoo isn\'t really necessary...

I was reading an article on hairboutique.com yesterday and the lady was talking about conditioner washes. She said to only use shampoo when necessary. I would think it's only necessary if the hair is just supremely soiled or the scalp is flaky and/or dirty.

Other than that--most of the products we use in our hair between washings is water soluble and will rinse right out with warm water.

I would like to know how you guys are doing that are on the no 'poo regimen. Thanks a buncho hair buddies !!!!

JenJen2721

Re: seems that shampoo isn\'t really necessary...

Supergirl,
I love how conditioner washes make my hair soft, but I can only do them like twice a month. It seems like they make my hair attract build-up more and it starts getting limp. I have to shampoo to revive my hair. I won't be replacing all of my shampoos w/conditioner washes, but they will definitely be part of my regimen. I use Creme of Nature Shampoo or Breakthru Shampoo and they both have great conditioning and cleaning properties. I'm going to try Herbal Essences Conditioning Balm for my conditioner washes.
Jen

ngaa

i only do conditioner washes wen i have braids coz wen i have braids my hair stopss co operatin wit me after a while coz of build up and i have to use some CON to give it some life back and because its so conditionin my hair gets life without getting dried out by the shampoo

BabyCurls

Indy Girl Growing Strong

<font color="purple">My hair loves the conditioner washes. But I want to have clean hair just like everyone else. I do the shampoo thingy once a week. I'll continue the daily washes with the conditioner when I get my hair braided like ngga mentioned. </font>

sweetcocoa

I have to do a modified one....
I shampoo once a week...(Saturday after aerobics class)
I conditoner wash after aerobics classes Mondays and Wednesdays).
I rinse the other days.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Supergirl said:
I was reading an article on hairboutique.com yesterday and the lady was talking about conditioner washes. She said to only use shampoo when necessary. I would think it's only necessary if the hair is just supremely soiled or the scalp is flaky and/or dirty.

Other than that--most of the products we use in our hair between washings is water soluble and will rinse right out with warm water.

I would like to know how you guys are doing that are on the no 'poo regimen. Thanks a buncho hair buddies !!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

I have been on it for 4 months...but I slipped and used shampoo twice and it made my hair look wretched!!!!

I havent gotten any build up, but it maybe because I use vingar rinses and I use VO5 conditioners that make sure you dont get any build up(I was using suave about 3 weeks ago...maybe a little more or less, and then I switched to V05 again:)

All in all I LOOOOOOVE this method!!!

Faith

I've been doing it for about 6 weeks now and I LOVE it. My scalp is clean and I have no buildup. I do a pretreatment (at least 1 hr) then without washing that out I apply the conditioner with baking soda (at least 1 hr) then I rinse. Next day I spray scurl and seal it in with my proven oil mixture. I highly recommend it.

JenJen2721

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Faith said:
I've been doing it for about 6 weeks now and I LOVE it. My scalp is clean and I have no buildup. I do a pretreatment (at least 1 hr) then without washing that out I apply the conditioner with baking soda (at least 1 hr) then I rinse. Next day I spray scurl and seal it in with my proven oil mixture. I highly recommend it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm...
baking soda, huh?

Faith, how much baking soda should be added to the conditioner?

This might work...

Faith

Hi JenJen,

I add 1/2tbsp bs(baking soda) to about 1/3 cup conditioner. I'm only going to add the bs 1x/week (he he). I actually did a CO wash last night and then I dried the braids/scalp and sprayed my scalp with scurl then applied the proven oil mix and my hair is sooo soft today. I didn't do a pretreatment...I will only do this 1x/week also. HTH.