Paging SVT and all other CERAMIC iron users

LondonDiva

LondonDiva: The ceramic iron I bought last week is working out really well! I set it on 17 and got a smoother, sleekier press as compared to my Gold N Hot. I've given up trying to find the heat protectant I used a long time ago called New Era Silicone Thermal Protection. With that stuff, I was able to use ungodly amounts of heat on my hair. Instead, I've been just using my little old fan to cool my hair down and close the cuticles. I use less heat this way because I use lower temps. The fan is a good thing for me.

SVT what brand of ceramic iron do you use?
I have my eye on the Hai Stik one which I can get quite easily it heats up to 210 degrees celcius which is over 400 farenheit.

I've read "now I don't know how it applies to us" that the ceramic irons are not damaging to the hair as the ions are negative and the hair is positive.

"They will also not damage hair as they produce negative ions (hair is positive)."

Any take ladies on the whole ion thing?

SVT

I bought the Jilbere de Paris Ceramic Tools iron. It has multiple temp settings. Let's see if I can get the image to show up:

I like the wide plates because I think it cuts down on my straightening time. This iron could snag your hair though. The seams are are made such that they do not completely come together. My Gold N Hot was like that too and I've learned to keep my hair away from the edge of the plates. If there is a seamless, wide-plated ceramic iron out there, let a sista know!

I have no clue as to how ions relate to heat straightening.

VALLEYGIRL

SVT Try New Image Damage Free Thermal Protectant from Sallys.
It contains Phytantriol which is the same thing Thermasilk products use only the New Image has a higher concentration.

London Diva I have the same brand flat iron as SVT only I have the one with the narrower plates. I would be careful with the HAI irons b/c they get way too hot for me.
Valleygirl

G

i have this Hai Ceramic Pressing Iron:

[image]http://store2.yimg.com/I/folica_1703_40557[/image]

it works pretty good and doesn't snag, but i really think they're a bit pricey. i'm sure there is something less expensive that works just as well. i don't know about that ion thing... /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

adrienne

G

i'm posting again because i forgot to log in again...

i have this Hai Ceramic Pressing Iron:

Hai Ceramic Pressing Iron

it works pretty good and doesn't snag, but i really think they're a bit pricey. i'm sure there is something less expensive that works just as well. i don't know about that ion thing...

adrienne

skegeesmb

I use the same iron as SVT. I just bought it and boy does that iron straighten some hair. I put my setting on 11 and it straightened good. I put it on 14 and was like whoah! I didn't even have to glide the iron through my hair like I usually do.

Kiadodie

To Valleygirl

Hey Valleygirl, I just wanted to thank you for your suggestion a while ago on the ceramic flat iron and New Image Damage Free Thermal Protectant. I bought them and I really like them for my hair /images/graemlins/grin.gif

rayne

Re: To Valleygirl

Ok, I'm pretty clueless here. What makes ceramic flat irons so much better than regular ones?

yvette

Guess I am a little slow as well. How can you get your edges straight? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

J

just_me

I've never heard of ceramic pressing combs.

I like ceramic flat irons because the press is straighter and the hair is shinier as compared to my Gold N Hot. The ceramics also heat up quicker: 10 seconds!

If needed, I use a pressing comb for edges and roots.

Sindeee

I just purchased the Farouk, CHI Ceramic Iron. Yes, I spent close to $200.00 for it (I'm a true PJ with no limitations, I guess!) I have yet to use it because I'm looking for a really good thermal heat protector. This thing gets <font color="red">HOT</font color>, within 25 seconds - 1 minute it's up to 150 degrees the maximum is 450 degrees. You have to be very careful with this iron or your hair will be burned to a crisp because there is no temperature dial.
I think this iron is supposed to be used by a so called professional but if you are X-tra careful, you should be okay.

I'll follow up on results when I finally use it.

Sindeee

caress

I have a Jilbere Ceramic flat iron that I got from Sally Beauty supply. I only have to swipe each section once with the iron. That's why I love it. If you click on the link above it'll explain, better than I can, the benefits of this flat iron. Also I use L'Oreal Nature's Therapy Heat Control Leave-In Protection Creme and Joico Integrity. The first is for heat protection and the second is a good leave-n that softens and detangles my hair very well.

Here's more info about ceramic styling tools. Click here.

J

just_me

Hey Valleygirl,

I'm trying the New Image this week. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks for the rec!

(svt)