need help growing past neck length

islangirl2002

Hello everyone I'm somewhat new to the forum and would like some advice on how I can grow my hair past neck length. I would say that my hair is about 6" all over I'm not sure. What kind of styles would you guys recomend? I can't do the braids thing because the last set I had pulled a lot of my hair out after just three weeks so I'm scared. I've been doing my condition washes every other day because of the hard water. I moisturize after each con wash if I do it more than that I will start seeing lots of breakage. I would really like to have some more length by the time my husband gets back because other than weavs and wigs, he's never seen me with hair past my neck. So please help me. Oh by the way, I have 1 year until his return. Thanks in advance ladies.

WhipEffectz1

islangirl2002 said:
What kind of styles would you guys recomend? I can't do the braids thing because the last set I had pulled a lot of my hair out after just three weeks so I'm scared. I've been doing my condition washes every other day because of the hard water. I moisturize after each con wash if I do it more than that I will start seeing lots of breakage. I would really like to have some more length by the time my husband gets back because other than weavs and wigs, he's never seen me with hair past my neck. So please help me. Oh by the way, I have 1 year until his return. Thanks in advance ladies.

What kind of styles would you guys recomend?

****protective styles. My hair is around the same length. When you have braids in you have to keep them moisturized. Also, what kind of braids did you have? Personally, I'm not a fan of micros. They put too much tension on the hair.

I've been doing my condition washes every other day because of the hard water.

*****Get a shower filter from Lowe's or Home Depot. i have hard water in my area as well. I was dumbfounded until someone on here suggested it.

I moisturize after each con wash if I do it more than that I will start seeing lots of breakage.

******Are you combing through your hair continously all over your head? How many weeks are you post relaxer?

Angelicus

:wave: You'll find tons of advice here! It's good you are here now because hair possibly grows the fastest in the spring/summer months. When my hair was short I was washing it everyday and used a piece of stocking cap on my ponytail to help me make a pathetic bun. I also stretched my relaxer touch up time from every month to every three months.

I think you'll also benefit from reading the sticky "A Newcomer's guide to starting out." I know that you said that you didn't like braids or cornrows but I am sure that if you use the crown & glory technique (www.growafrohairlong.com ) you won't get much breakage.

Exercising will also assist in an increase in growth.

islangirl2002

Thanks for responding ladies. Anky, my hair isn't long enough to put into a ponytail. the reason why I said no braids is because the last set I had took a lot of my hair out on the sides which was thin to begin with. I followed the crown and glory technique so I don't know what happened. Well, come to think of it, the last set I had were conrrows and were put in very tight. I guess I can try the singles again since I had pretty good results from them in the past.

WhipEffectz1, I live in Germany and I've looked all over the place for a shower filter but can't find any to fit my shower head. Since I cw every other day I comb and rollerset my hair on wash day and finger comb on the others. Also, I just got a corrective relaxer done yesterday so I guess that would be the date of my last relaxer.

hOnii

definately do protective styles! maybe a baggie for a while, then you could do a sew-in or a wig. as long as your hair is being left alone to grow then you should be fine.

do you take any vitamins? those should also help your growth/texture.

islangirl2002

I guess I will going back to my singles for a while then. I'm going to wait for about a month or two before I do though since I just got my hair relaxed.

Isis

You can have 6 + more inches of hair in a year!

1. Besides keeping your hair moisturized, keep your ends well moisturized - this will retain your length.

2. Wear a style that is less manipulation, like a French Twist or a simple bun, tucking the ends away.

3. Try not combing your hair except on wash day when you must comb the conditioner and leave-in through.

4. Leave all heat alone.

5. I agree with Anky - regular exercise will speed up your hair's growth!

6. Drink lots of water to moisturize your hair (and skin) from the inside out.

7. Eat a healthy diet, avoiding caffeine, sugar, white starchy foods and soft drinks.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
Please get a shower filter. That hard water will damage your hair.

If braids do not work for you, try wearing wigs as a protective style.

Moisturize and oil your ends every night.

Do scalp massages.

Exercise regularly and drink that water...at least 2 liters each day.

You may wanna take vitamins to make your hair grow in stronger. I take Super B Complex.

Hope that helps! ;)