Low Porosity Support Thread

faithVA

[USER=105429 said:
mg1979[/USER];15776305]I read so much conflicting stuff about porosity that I paid for the Live Curly Live Free/Curl Wizard hair analysis to be sure. I don't know enough about high porosity to say why your description would not be high porosity, but it sounds like low porosity to me because of the underlined parts above. Basically the hair is so tightly compact that nothing is getting in: water, moisturizer, conditioner, relaxer. When I was relaxed, my scalp burned before the relaxer ever took.

One thing I noticed inconsistent characteristics regarding low porosity is on whether or not the hair dries fast or takes forever to dry. This is what I noticed and may be why people say different things. If I have product in my hair, it takes FOREVER TO DRY. But if there is no product in my hair, it dries WAY TOO FAST.

What type of details did your hair analysis give you? Did you find it helpful?

LightEyedMami

@mg1979, I have very low porosity hair (it even takes a moment to get 'wet' with water). I have consistently added baking soda to my conditioners for years now, maybe three or so. I find it's the only thing that really lifts the cuticle adequately enough to allow for penetrating moisture. That is how i deep condition. To date, I have had NO ill effects. However, this is just one curly's experience. I know there are many low-po heads that do not care for the alkaline nature of baking soda. Maybe try it and see how your hair responds.
@suns4i6e So the baking soda does not dry your hair at all?...do you have to follow up with ACV or extra condish or anything or can i go about "as planned".....i really wanna try this :yep: ....my hair doesnt absorb anything! :ohwell:

suns4i6e

LightEyedMami, it does not make my hair dry at ALL...not one little bit. I never follow with ACV. That will make it as dry as the Sahara. I know traditionally BS opens the cuticle and ACV closes it, but as we hear so often, every head is different and mine loves BS, hates ACV.

After I rinse my BS, conditioner mixture I do another quick conditioner rinse to ensure all remnants are gone and then proceed as usual (i.e. leave in, styler). Works brilliantly for my hair.

LightEyedMami

@LightEyedMami, it does not make my hair dry at ALL...not one little bit. I never follow with ACV. That will make it as dry as the Sahara. I know traditionally BS opens the cuticle and ACV closes it, but as we hear so often, every head is different and mine loves BS, hates ACV.

After I rinse my BS, conditioner mixture I do another quick conditioner rinse to ensure all remnants are gone and then proceed as usual (i.e. leave in, styler). Works brilliantly for my hair.
Just had to say that i went to the gym today, and when i got home i tried the baking soda mixed into my heated deep condtioner, i just washed my hair and for the first time in in like forever it feels GREAT!....I freakin LOVE YOU!!!! and if you were here in person i would kiss you, NO seriously i would! :look:....... Heres to you @suns4i6e :kissing4::Rose::kiss::thumbsup::heart2: ( i will condition like this from now on)

mg1979

What type of details did your hair analysis give you? Did you find it helpful?

Here is the thread where I shared some of the info:
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=566979. It was useful to me to know for sure if I was low or high porosity because I was so confused before. Then I was able to understand why my hair was always dry & how to think about my hair. I don't think anyone should purchase an analysis expecting it to solve all of their problems though because it won't.

faithVA

[USER=105429 said:
mg1979[/USER];16011583]Here is the thread where I shared some of the info:
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=566979. It was useful to me to know for sure if I was low or high porosity because I was so confused before. Then I was able to understand why my hair was always dry & how to think about my hair. I don't think anyone should purchase an analysis expecting it to solve all of their problems though because it won't.

Thanks that was helpful.

mg1979

mg1979 said:
Thanks for this! I've been thinking about starting a low porosity support thread, but I've never started a support thread before.

Share your hair background:
Last relaxer 3 years ago. When I did relax, it never took. Not sure what else to say here.

What symptoms is your hair exhibiting?
Dry, dry, dry. Product sits on it & does not absorb.

What have you tried that worked?
Heat helps, but I still don't have a good handle on it.
I try to baggy, but I'm prone to sinus headaches if I do it too long.
More liquidy products work better than thick.
I like Giovanni 50:50 & GVP Balm.

What have you tried that did not work?
Protein is not for me. Builds up easily.
Silicones. Keep moisture from getting in.
Roux porosity control. This is for high porosity.
Butters. Too heavy.

What questions do you have?
I just have reservations about using baking soda. How do you know it's not really damaging especially in the long term?
Is a steamer worth it?

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Update on something that does not work for me: Oyin Pudding & Oyin Hair Dew. I needed to use up my stash. I knew when I saw the consistency it was too thick. I tried mixing some with distilled water & it was still to heavy & oily. I tried mixing the rest of the Hair Dew with aloe, but something in it didn't mix well. Just made it clumpy. Had to throw it away.

faithVA

[USER=105429 said:
mg1979[/USER];16018309]Update on something that does not work for me: Oyin Pudding & Oyin Hair Dew. I needed to use up my stash. I knew when I saw the consistency it was too thick. I tried mixing some with distilled water & it was still to heavy & oily. I tried mixing the rest of the Hair Dew with aloe, but something in it didn't mix well. Just made it clumpy. Had to throw it away.

Sometimes when things are too thick, you can break them down with some sunflower/grapeseed oil. It doesn't seem like it would work but quite often it does. Worth a try next time before throwing things out.

Anything that contains shea butter or butters, I break down with a very light oil and my hair seems to work better with it.

suns4i6e

Just had to say that i went to the gym today, and when i got home i tried the baking soda mixed into my heated deep condtioner, i just washed my hair and for the first time in in like forever it feels GREAT!....I freakin LOVE YOU!!!! and if you were here in person i would kiss you, NO seriously i would! :look:....... Heres to you @suns4i6e :kissing4::Rose::kiss::thumbsup::heart2: ( i will condition like this from now on)

Awwww sweetie thank you and I am so excited for you. I KNOW how good it feels to find something that works.

NOW, let me do my due diligence and advise you to really watch carefully how your hair responds over time. I can't tell you how many people look at me in horror when i tell them I don't use ACV and I use baking soda weekly. What may seem like a God send initially can have different cumulative results for different heads. All I can say with assuredness is that it has worked for me long term and I hope it does for you as well, but monitor your results closely.

LightEyedMami

Awwww sweetie thank you and I am so excited for you. I KNOW how good it feels to find something that works.

NOW, let me do my due diligence and advise you to really watch carefully how your hair responds over time. I can't tell you how many people look at me in horror when i tell them I don't use ACV and I use baking soda weekly. What may seem like a God send initially can have different cumulative results for different heads. All I can say with assuredness is that it has worked for me long term and I hope it does for you as well, but monitor your results closely.
[USER] suns4i6e[/USER], I will, i just use a small sprinkle and it seems to work, i used it again today :)....My hair is still dry though (although less dry with the BS)...Do you have a suggestion for a leave in conditioner? i have been using butters (which is my problem i think)

Last edited:

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
suns4i6e, I will, i just use a small sprinkle and it seems to work, i used it again today :)....My hair is still dry though (although less dry with the BS)...Do you have a suggestion for a leave in conditioner? i have been using butters (which is my problem i think)
LightEyedMami, you didn't ask me but I'm chiming in -- do you air dry or roller set?

divachyk

@divachyk I airdry, i have never roller setted before. I do have a small hooded dryer collecting dust at my moms house though.
LightEyedMami
The best method for moisturizing while air drying that I've found is to use a leave in, moisturizer then seal. My choices for LI are Bee Mine Hair Milk or Pura Moisture Milk. Moisturizer: Bee Mine Luscious. Sealer: Any oil that I'm liking at that moment. Layering the products give me added moisture.

faithVA

@LightEyedMami
The best method for moisturizing while air drying that I've found is to use a leave in, moisturizer then seal. My choices for LI are Bee Mine Hair Milk or Pura Moisture Milk. Moisturizer: Bee Mine Luscious. Sealer: Any oil that I'm liking at that moment. Layering the products give me added moisture.

I agree with layering the products. What I have also found that helps, is to put on my leave-in/moisturizer and sit under my heat cap for 20 to 30 minutes. It absorbs right into my hair. I then reapply my leave-in/moisturizer. My hair is very dry so doubling up and using heat helps quite a bit.

guitan25

The best thing I have found for my low porosity 4a/b hair is to stop using shampoo, including non sulfate ones, matter of fact, anything that lathers leaves my hair dry and unwilling to absorb products or accept moisture.

I have switched to cleansing conditioners (wen) and this has saved my life.

I don't post much but hope this helps someone.

faithVA

The best thing I have found for my low porosity 4a/b hair is to stop using shampoo, including non sulfate ones, matter of fact, anything that lathers leaves my hair dry and unwilling to absorb products or accept moisture.

I have switched to cleansing conditioners (wen) and this has saved my life.

I don't post much but hope this helps someone.

I agree with this too. This must be my agreement day :lol:

When I do wash I wash with my mudwash. It cleanses my scalp well and my hair feels the most hydrated when I use it. I only use it 1x a month currently.

mg1979

When I do wash I wash with my mudwash. It cleanses my scalp well and my hair feels the most hydrated when I use it. I only use it 1x a month currently.

faithVA: Forgive me if you've said earlier in this thread...which mudwash do you use? I assume it's Terressentials, but I see it has certain recommendations for different hair types.

faithVA

[USER=105429 said:
mg1979[/USER];16039339]@faithVA: Forgive me if you've said earlier in this thread...which mudwash do you use? I assume it's Terressentials, but I see it has certain recommendations for different hair types.

I do use the Terresentials. I use the lemon. I have tried the lavender but it tangles my hair. The lemon leaves my hair nice and soft. My hair is 4b, very tightly curled, medium density, low porosity, SL. If that helps any.

divachyk

Well, I posted this in the high porosity thread, but I was told I sound more like low porosity. What do you all think? Here's my post:

Describe your hair? thick strands, densely spread

Relaxed, natural, texturized, texlaxed? Natural 4b

what are your hair's indicators of high porosity? Hair never gets wet, water beads on my hair, conditioners and water will not penetrate or stay, hair will not hold moisture; relaxers never took to my hair-- think thats a low porosity indidcator though(?) ETA: hair dries within minutes after wash/conditioning. I can run my fingers down the last few inches of my hair and its so rough.

what methods/products have you tried that really work for your hair?
Weekly protein-moisture balanced DC--> Aubrey Organics GPB; oil rinses w/castor oil; lo-poo (diluted shampoos on scalp only); and pre-poo treatments (w/aloe vera juice & coconut oil)

what have you tried that did NOT work for your hair/what do you avoid? everything else, ACV rinses (epic fail, ultra dry breakage), glycerin, shea butter, Nexus Humectress, Nioxin, Aveda producsts, Cholestorol, Aussie Moist, Trader Joes, Shea Moisture, Curls, the list goes on.

how has having high porosity hair affected your hair care & growth journey? Hair always breaks off once it reaches a decent length (APL). The strands have suffered for as long as they can take it in complete dryness, hay hair status; then they just break and start over again

virtuenow, in another thread you posted you have characteristics of both low and high. What are the conflicting characteristics?

blackeyes31626

So, you only wash/cleanse once per month? Do you cowash between mud washes?
Did you use acv before the mudwash?
I tried the Terressentials mud wash LCL and it cleaned my scalp but my hair wasn't really soft. Iono...

virtuenow

@virtuenow, in another thread you posted you have characteristics of both low and high. What are the conflicting characteristics?

divachyk Lets see, I thought there were a lot, but I don't see them, hmmm. Only two: When I rub down the length of a strand, the ends are rough (on the front part of my hair which needs a good trimming). My hair used to dry as hard as a rock and the strands would fuse together. I know high porosity has the cuticle raised and the strands "catch" together.

Evolving78

i see i need sulfate shampoos, but i am relaxed. i need to remove as much buildup. i do use a sulfate and non sulfate. the non sulfate creates slips and coats my hair a little. the sulfate acts as a mild clarifying shampoo to me.