Interesting hair encounter (long)

alireno

As I was replenishing my Profectiv stock today, a lady looked in my cart and said, That must be some good stuff!". I had about 18 tubs of them in my cart. Anyway, before I knew it I was flipping over the tubs, showing her the ingredients, and telling her how great they were. She told me I had some beautiful hair. I told her that I am in the process of transitioning. She told me that my hair looked like I never really needed a relaxer in the first place. She then asked why I ever got a relaxer. I had no answer. After thinking about it for a minute, I told her I guess it was because everybody else I knew had them. That was the only thing I could think of. Just out of curiosity, what made you get your first relaxer?

Karonica

I was 10 at the time. I wanted a perm so that when I got wet from playing outside in water, my hair would be straight when it was wet, rather than poofy and kinky. And I hated that pressing comb and all the sizzles it made when it hit my greasy hair. LOL. I don't regret it at all though.

Kitkat

Hi, Profectiv buddy!!
18 tubs, huh? Someone give this girl a lifetime of Profectiv for free!!

I got my first relaxer just in time for my 8th grade graduation. My mother always got my hair pressed before that. I don't really know why she decided to let me get a relaxer. Maybe because it lasted longer than a press, and because my hair was really thick. I kept relaxing as an adult because it made my hair easier to handle.

To be honest, if you're 2B, I'd imagine you probably don't really need to relax at all. Forgive the presumption, since I've never seen your hair.

ms jadu

My mother had permed my hair at twelve. My hair was naturally very curly. However, it never changed my texture or made my hair break.

alireno

Today I bought Mega Growth, Root Health, Break Free, and Healthy Ends. As part of my regime I use all of those I listed plus Long 'n Healthy and Growth 'n Healing. I know it sounds like a lot, but I have been using these products since October and my hair is luvin' it!

sassygirl125

Professional PJ
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Just out of curiosity, what made you get your first relaxer?

[/ QUOTE ]

I wanted straight hair that wasn't weighed down with grease, moved when I moved my head, blew in the wind and didn't revert in the rain or humidity.

cutelillady02

I got my first perm when I was 6 for my kindergarten graduation. My mother said it was too much trouble trying to comb through my hair.

Gldspoon

I got my first relaxer when I was 11 because I started High School and wanted to have an older more mature appearance...and also because it was easier for me to stayle my hair and keep it neat without having to have it braided up at the time. The ear to shoulder length bob was my favourite style then.

Gldspoon

butterscotch

I got my first relaxer when I was 12 years old. I BEGGED my mother for one because eveyone else I knew had one. Also, my ends would always get tangled, and I just knew that relaxing would solve my problems. Boy was I wrong because my ends still get tangled, and the longer my hair grows, the worse it gets.

I realize now that I never needed a relaxer or texturizer, I just needed some really great conditioner. Once I turn 27, I do plan to go natural now that I know what my hair needs.

jazzyfunknastee

I got my first relaxer around the 3rd/4th grade. I used to get my hair pressed by my aunt (who was a hairdresser and did my hair every other week) complained about my nappiness and put in some kit perm. The sucka burned my head so badly that I had sores and blisters for about 2 weeks. I went back to pressing until 7th grade and then started relaxing again from there.

Ennyaa

Two Words...

HOT COMB!

Getting my hair pressed was AGONY for me. I got burned every and I do mean EVERY time. Even if the comb didn't touch me I would always sweat a lot because I was nervous and the heat would make the sweat sizzle and burn me anyway.
I will NEVER put my daughter through that. At the most I will flat iron her hair since I'm now in love with my Jilbere.

Jade21

Control, manageability, lack of appreciation for wavy hair.

Before I had a relaxer applied to my hair, my hair wasn't nearly as wavy as it is now. If NaturallyCurly.com had been around in those days, I would not have gotten a relaxer.

I made the discovery on my own, really just by the fact that my stylist left the area and I was too afraid to go to anyone else for a relaxer, that the right hair products can make all the difference

Alireno..Cheers for the Wonderful Compliments!!!

~Jade~

karezone

I was officially relaxed at 7 years of age. Before then, I had a vigorol which is kind of like a blow out or something. It relaxs the curl enough to be combable but, it can still be pressed. I don't even remember the name of it because my aunt put it in.