Hair Moisture Test

LadyZ

Has anyone tried this test?
You take a few strands of your hair and put it in a a glass of water.. If the hair sinks... It means your hair is dry and porous... and should not be dyed... and is in need of moisture...
My hair needs moisture bad:eek: ... because it sinks like a rock:lachen:
I am using moisturizers galore, but it is still sinking like the titanic...:lol:
I am working on it ...:look:
I would like others input on this:confused: ....

Here is the link.

http://www.naani.com/keeping_your_hair___dreadlocks_moisturized.htm

Last edited:

Dolapo

I just did it and my hair did not sink!!! But, i have fine hair strands though....does that matter? anyway, my hair didnt sink :yay:

LadyZ

My hair is 4 bbbb very kinky without being relaxed.... I don't know if that matters or not...
Looks like you are well moisturized:woot: ... What brands do you use if you don't mind me asking:whyme: ...
Thanks

Dolapo

Nexxus, and ive been using jojoba and coconut oil over my moisturiser before i sleep lately. check out my album for my products

AllAboutTheHair

This seems backward to me...if the hair is moisturized why would it be lighter than water itself (enough to float)? It seems to me that dry hair would float because it lacks moisture/water (extra weight) to sink to the bottom.

Porsche19

Mine floats

I've heard of this test, but not as a moisture test. It was supposed to be a test for damgage/porosity. If you hair is damaged (overly porous) it will sink, if not it will float.

Maybe the people you got it from assume that if your hair is not damaged or overly porous, it is healthy and moisturized?

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
AllAboutTheHair said:
This seems backward to me...if the hair is moisturized why would it be lighter than water itself (enough to float)? It seems to me that dry hair would float because it lacks moisture/water (extra weight) to sink to the bottom.
This is what I was thinking as well! :yep:

Mestiza

Whenever I lose any hair after combing, I throw it in the toilet (sorry if that's TMI). Most of the time it does float on top of the water. Sometimes, it will sink to the bottom.

EssentialGrowth

AllAboutTheHair said:

On the contrary, dry hair would sink if it lacks moisture. If hair is dry and in search of moisture, it would suck up the water and become too heavy to float. Hair that is already moisturized would do the exact opposite. Does this explanation help?

EssentialGrowth

LadyZ said:
Has anyone tried this test?
You take a few strands of your hair and put it in a a glass of water.. If the hair sinks... It means your hair is dry and porous... and should not be dyed... and is in need of moisture...
My hair needs moisture bad:eek: ... because it sinks like a rock:lachen:
I am using moisturizers galore, but it is still sinking like the titanic...:lol:
I am working on it ...:look:
I would like others input on this:confused: ....

Try doing deep conditions with every wash (let it sit on your hair for at least 10-15 mins covered with a warm towel or shower cap) and always remember to moisturize hair daily or every other day. I use Salerm Wheat Germ Mask Alter Ego Garlic Treatment, or Keracare Humecto for my deep conditioning and as a daily moisturizer I use mango butter. I seal in my moisture by using either coconut oil or Aveda Anti-Humectant pomade. HTH!

LadyZ

Thanks for all the input... I will give the deep conditioning a try... I have always battled dry hair:swordfigh :angry2: .... But I know it will get better....

Thanks again