I did it- sort of

notsomebody

I did my first roller set in months. Well, sorta. I started at the back as its the thickest part of my hair and starts to dry the fastest. When I got to the front - I section my hair in fours for this- I ran out of steam (It took me two hours just to get the back rolled) so I wrapped the two front sections around my head in their respective directions. The result- very smooth front and tons of spirally curls in the back. I piled all of the curls on top of my head and smoothed the front around my head. Very chic looking.

Now the problems. I am only coordianted with the pink magnetic rollers - you know those generic pink rollers with the caps. I have tried the larger ones. The ones that don't have caps with them and I can't get those suckers to stay in my head. The large bobby pins that are supposed to secure my hair to the rollers slide around the rollers so that I can never get them in firmly enough. I tried making caps for them (ala Sweetcocoa) and that works ok except how long it takes my hair to dry. And, when I go to take them out, I find that my hair has shifted from the center of the roller to one corner of the cap- so the curl looks funky. It turns out that I am even less coordinated with a drill, because I tried to make more holes in the caps and ended up breaking the few I tried. I know it wouldn't take nearly as long for me to roll my hair if I didn't have to make such tiny sections to get all of it to fit evenly on those rollers. I was very careful about it because I didn't want to cause any more breakage on the ends like I did the first time around (the reason I gave up roller setting in the first place).

If only they made large rollers that already had caps with them. Why don't they do this for the hair styling impaired? Does anyone have any suggestions on how to help me with this?
If I can get the time it takes me to get all of my hair in rollers to under an hour, I would be in hair heaven (btw, 45 minutes is the fastest time that anyone - including beauticians have ever been able to get all of my hair in rollers- I may have thin strands, but I have a ton o' hair).

Please help me. I love rollersets, I just want to be able to do them correctly.

notsomebody

This is a ps-

As I rolling my hair, I dabbed a little bit of Profective's healthy ends on the ends to lay them down on the rollers. My ends are so soft right now I can't believe it. Whith the curls piled on top of my head, most of them hang down to the base of my neck. For the first time, it doesn't bother me to have my hair graze my neck. Usually, my ends tickle and itch my neck and now its like having a peice of silk slide across it. I am taking small steps, next week I will actually wear my hair down. I have gotte several compliments on my hair today, and only had to move out of the way of exploring hands twice. Is it really such a huge deal to see black women with long hair? I mean why are so many people wanting to put their hands in my head. They don't know where I've been.

sweetcocoa

I have looked everywhere for jumbo(soda can size) rollers with snap on tops...Wheh I drilled the tops...I also have a problem drying. I am able to use the purple snap on tops with my gray 6 inch(arougn the outside) rollers...but the soda can size rollers(9 inches around the outside) are too big for these. /images/graemlins/frown.gif Plus there was the problem getting them under the dryer. I'm at this moment making my own....super jumbo soft bonnet. I'm sewing it together as we speak. Now if I could only find snap on tops for the extra large rollers.... /images/graemlins/confused.gif

notsomebody

Ok, so I can just put up with it taking longer to dry my hair with the home made caps. I thought maybe it was just me. I would like to know how you drill the caps without breaking them. Do you have a way to hold them in place? My problem was the darn thing kept slipping out from under the drill and then if I pushed hard enough on the drill to hold it inplace the thing would break.
I've got a soft bonnet dryer too. The Bonnet is huge so I didn't have a problem getting under it, I will have to see what happens when I use larger rollers. I did notice that with the soft bonnet my hair didn't take nearly as long to dry, and I think because the whole head is covered, it dries very evenly.

sweetcocoa

I had to be real careful and not drill the holes too close(like I wanted to for extra drying). I really feel it still wasn't enough...that's why I'm still looking for them ready made.