permed hair after 2 years of being natural and my hair changed texture and volume?

lovelydeep

so in december 2005 i cut off my hair down to the new growth which at that point was the length of a very very very short fro'. i helped it grow by braiding individuals corn rows and sew-ins which all three seem to work wonders and force my hair to grow at a rapid rate!in between the style changes i noticed how thick and coarse it was pre-relaxer. after relaxing it i gained even longer lenghts down to my shoulder and it the texture completely changed to a fine silky bone straight texture! regardless of how much i wash it moisture does not switch it back to that thick texture it remains silky and straight!i am a slave to weave and i love full and thick hair! are their any volumizing products for black hair or do the white products work just as well?

Re: permed hair after 2 years of being natural and my hair changed texture and volume

hi,, well the results of your perm are permanent but when new hair grows out maybe you can try not leaving the perm in as long or "texlaxing" which is something many ladies here do.. as far as volumizing there are many products geared toward that, Nexxus has a thickening cream, you can certainly use products that arent geared towards AA. You can also try Henna,, many ppl find it thickens the hair up... Oh and roller setting might help show more of the body in your hair.. hth

lovelydeep

Re: permed hair after 2 years of being natural and my hair changed texture and volume

hi,, well the results of your perm are permanent but when new hair grows out maybe you can try not leaving the perm in as long or "texlaxing" which is something many ladies here do.. as far as volumizing there are many products geared toward that, Nexxus has a thickening cream, you can certainly use products that arent geared towards AA. You can also try Henna,, many ppl find it thickens the hair up... Oh and roller setting might help show more of the body in your hair.. hth

I am unaware of the texlaxing technique! what is that?

nakialovesshoes

:needpics:
Forgive me - I always wanted to say that!

so in december 2005 i cut off my hair down to the new growth which at that point was the length of a very very very short fro'. i helped it grow by braiding individuals corn rows and sew-ins which all three seem to work wonders and force my hair to grow at a rapid rate!in between the style changes i noticed how thick and coarse it was pre-relaxer. after relaxing it i gained even longer lenghts down to my shoulder and it the texture completely changed to a fine silky bone straight texture! regardless of how much i wash it moisture does not switch it back to that thick texture it remains silky and straight!i am a slave to weave and i love full and thick hair! are their any volumizing products for black hair or do the white products work just as well?

I'm confused by the bold red parts.

As for volume, try a roller set---

1. Prep hair with a moisturizing setting lotion like Motions At Home
Foaming Wrap Lotion ($3.99).

2. Divide hair into sections and wrap ends smoothly around a
curler rod. The size of the curl will depend on the size of the
curler rod. For small, tighter curls use smaller rods; large,
round curls require a bigger rod.

3. Sit under a hooded dryer or allow hair to air-dry completely.

4. Remove curler rods and separate curls with your fingers for
a tousled look.

lovelydeep

I'm confused by the bold red parts.

As for volume, try a roller set---

1. Prep hair with a moisturizing setting lotion like Motions At Home
Foaming Wrap Lotion ($3.99).

2. Divide hair into sections and wrap ends smoothly around a
curler rod. The size of the curl will depend on the size of the
curler rod. For small, tighter curls use smaller rods; large,
round curls require a bigger rod.

3. Sit under a hooded dryer or allow hair to air-dry completely.

4. Remove curler rods and separate curls with your fingers for
a tousled look.

i mean that although it was natural it was very thick and prior to going natural i always had very thick hair! after going natural for 2years it's not thick its silky and bone straight!

LynnieB

lovelydeep said:
Originally Posted by lovelydeep
----------

i mean that although it was natural it was very thick and prior to going natural i always had very thick hair! after going natural for 2years it's not thick its silky and bone straight!

i'm sorta with african princess, i got a bit confused with the bolded too. i thought that's why folks relaxed their hair, to change the texture. Of course it's going to be straight.

~or~ maybe you processed your hair too long?

glamazon386

i'm sorta with african princess, i got a bit confused with the bolded too. i thought that's why folks relaxed their hair, to change the texture. Of course it's going to be straight.

~or~ maybe you processed your hair too long?

That's what it sounds like. The relaxer thinned out your hair.

silvergirl

yup sounds to me like the relaxer was left on too long. the longer it stays the finer, thiner, straighter the hair will become. If you'd like more volume on your next relaxer you'll just have to leave it in for a shorter amount of time to keep your volume.

on the other hand if you keep it in too short , you'll end up keeping alot of your natural texture (coil pattern, texture, volume)

being natural for 2 years didnt change your relaxer outcome.

Last edited:

aloof one

Im confused. Typically perm does make your hair thinner. Its not like your natural texture changed to being thin, its like you left the relaxer on too long and it thinned your hair out. Whatever your natural hair is, that is what it is. If it was thick, and now its thin, it is because something you did to it, like a relaxer.

Why did you cut off your thick hair and start over? Its easier to thin out thick hair than it is to thicken up thin hair :perplexed I hope someone can give you advice, though..

lovelydeep

i started over to 1) get my hair to grow even and i would treat it healthier this time around! 2)i just wanted a clean slate to start over! before i went natural when i would perm my hair it would remain thick after washing conditioning and blow drying!it will be four months since i have had a perm and the same thing without me having to apply oil to it or any thing i am do for a trim this month on the 29th! my plan is to perm it every 6mos but i would like to try this texlaxing but i'm unsure of how to do it!

aloof one

yup sounds to me like the relaxer was left on too long. the longer it stays the finer, thiner, straighter the hair will become. If you'd like more volume on your next relaxer you'll just have to leave it in for a shorter amount of time to keep your volume.

on the other hand if you keep it in too short , you'll end up keeping alot of your natural texture (coil pattern, texture, volume)

being natural for 2 years didnt change your relaxer outcome.

ITA. With Nicole too: Pics needed, or this thread is worthless, lol.:look:

pearlygurl

I noticed how thick and coarse it was pre-relaxer. after relaxing it i gained even longer lenghts down to my shoulder and it the texture completely changed to a fine silky bone straight texture! regardless of how much i wash it moisture does not switch it back to that thick texture it remains silky and straight!

I think people are being thrown off by this part of your comment. A relaxer chemically changes your hair texture...no amount of washing will make it switch back to your natural thick texture. The only way to get that back is grow out your relaxer.

I think Paul Mitchell has a line to help give you the volume/thickness you are looking for but I'm not sure of the exact name. If you do a search you will find it :)

lovelydeep

i will get pics up! i just joined at like 4am eastern time LOL!

Now i knew something was wrong with your post last nite i knew it!! Lovelydeep, EVERYONE please head to the OFFTOPIC forum and check out how colorful lovelydeep's threads are!!! or u can just use the search feature and type in "lovelydeep" WHAT FUN!!!

aloof one

Now i knew something was wrong with your post last nite i knew it!! Lovelydeep, EVERYONE please head to the OFFTOPIC forum and check out how colorful lovelydeep's threads are!!! or u can just use the search feature and type in "lovelydeep" WHAT FUN!!!

wow... i don't even know what to say
she just got on here huh?

I need to start making sure my sisters/friends are't loggin in here!:perplexed
They dont need to know my secret, thats why I locked up my Fotki cause Google was tryin to tell it!

favorc

u should try being texlax. use a mild relaxer on the newgrowth only. apply loads of vasaline to the rest of the hair so that it will not get over processed. as soon as you apply the relaxer to your newgrowth, rinse it out. this method help me retain thickness.

fluffylocks

Hello lovelydeep-- welcome!

Congrats on the growth! :yep: The individuals and cornrows didnt really force your hair to grow fast, it just protected your hair from breaking because it was being left alone, and you were able to keep all of the hair that grew from your scalp. I guess if you had a small fro in 2005 your hair was about 1-3 inches long, since your shoulderlength now, your hair is probally/i guess about 15-18" long. Hair grows on average 6" a year, so that would be 12 inches you should have gained from 2005 to now, so your hair probally grows alittle faster than normal. Alot of times black hair is coarse because of the tight curl pattern of the hair, and it would be more thick then someone who had plain ole straight hair. You probally couldnt see how long your hair was because your hair had "shrinkage", or the natural pattern of your hair caused it to look shorter because of the curls/waves than the actual/stretched length. Thats why when you got your relaxer your hair showed the actual length (not really gained any), and changed from coarse and thick with some time of pattern probally to more "silky" and straight.

When you relax your hair, all it does it take away some of you curl pattern. When you get your hair wet/wash it, some of the curl pattern should show up again, and then people usually flatiron or blowdry their hair for it to get all the way straight again and reduce its thickness or some of the curls/waves.

But it seems that when you relaxed your hair you took away all of the curl in your hair, and thats why it doesnt change when you wash it.
Texlax is when you leave the relaxer on for a shorter time on purpose to keep some of the curl in your hair. I think the word comes from a mixture of the word relax, and texurizer. People were suggesting you texlax because for some people its hard for them to keep their hair healthy when its bone straight. The reason is because when you leave some of your natural curl in your hair, then your hair has the ability to stretch more, and to retain more moisture. When you take all of the curl out of your hair, it cant stretch as much or at all, so your hair snaps easy, or it has no elasticity.