How to soften hair..type 4a 4b

Caramel Jewel

I remember reading it doesn't have to be hard...My aunt touched my hair and said it shouldn't feel this way (even though it always felt this way to me so I wasn't surprised by how it felt) I also remember reading either here or on nappiturally that one of the things I should not have to deal with is hard hair- it should feel soft like cotton-

It only feels this way when it is patted or just when the hair is rubbed, but not when it the curl is stretched the hair feels soft then...

I use wen fig (for now), organic extra virgin coconut oil, G direct leave in and sometimes I'll squirt in the fermadoyl 619 (yellow) and I also use the 233 at times..

I like the leave in and coconut oil becasue I know it is providing some moisture and there is no oiliness (SP) to it...

so basically co-wash, and use a leave in and an oil.... I don't know how to make it soft..or is this just the natural feel of my hair...

JustKiya

Are you deep conditioning your hair at all? The more and better internally moisturized it is, the softer it will be.
If you aren't, I'd suggest deep conditioning at least once a week for the next 3-4 months, and see how your hair feels then. :yep:

locabouthair

I was just thinking about this. Granted type 4 is the driest of all the hair types but it CAN be soft.

I agree with deep conditioning. Also try drinking more water and taking an omega 3 supplement. check if you have hard water.

When I was natural people were suprised when they touched my hair and it was soft because I have 4b hair. I was using s curl. You can try it but it can leave buildup..Also try claifying like once a month. And if you use nay other shampoos watch out for sulfates.

Nonie

When I first learned of EVOO as something that could be used on hair, I tried it on mine and got steel-wool hair. Hard, rough, shiny/greasy hair. Now that I use no leave-in products when wearing braids or twists or just S Curl when wearing my hair out, my hair is uber soft. I do DC weekly and baggy nightly--although if truth be told, I haven't baggied since I put my braids in. :hide: It's just simply laziness although if you ask me, I'll claim that I need new plastic caps and that I keep forgetting I have Saran wrap and plastic bags. :sekret: And despite my slacking, I just felt my hair and it's still soft.

So I really believe what makes 4B hair hard is lack of moisture and using the wrong products or doing too much. I agree with the suggestion to DC. And then I suggest you try one product at a time. Shea butter felt good on my hair on application but later I had hard, dry-feeling hair. Creams were the same. S Curl on the other hand moisturizes on application and lasts for day (I do baggy without fail at night when I have S Curl in my hair...and this is only if I'm wearing my hair out. I do plait my hair ever night even when wearing it out as it keeps tangles at bay.) I kid you not, the softness you imagine looking at the image below when my hair was shorter is truly how soft my hair feels.

Less is more for 4B hair IMHO.

locabouthair

^yeah I hear a lot of members here use shea butter but I used to use it on my skin and it doesnt look like it would moisturize my hair just based on the texture and grittiness of it.

Caramel Jewel

When I first learned of EVOO as something that could be used on hair, I tried it on mine and got steel-wool hair. Hard, rough, shiny/greasy hair. Now that I use no leave-in products when wearing braids or twists or just S Curl when wearing my hair out, my hair is uber soft. I do DC weekly and baggy nightly--although if truth be told, I haven't baggied since I put my braids in. :hide: It's just simply laziness although if you ask me, I'll claim that I need new plastic caps and that I keep forgetting I have Saran wrap and plastic bags. :sekret: And despite my slacking, I just felt my hair and it's still soft.

So I really believe what makes 4B hair hard is lack of moisture and using the wrong products or doing too much. I agree with the suggestion to DC. And then I suggest you try one product at a time. Shea butter felt good on my hair on application but later I had hard, dry-feeling hair. Creams were the same. S Curl on the other hand moisturizes on application and lasts for day (I do baggy without fail at night when I have S Curl in my hair...and this is only if I'm wearing my hair out. I do plait my hair ever night even when wearing it out as it keeps tangles at bay.) I kid you not, the softness you imagine looking at the image below when my hair was shorter is truly how soft my hair feels.

what do you use and/or do when you baggie...

GV-NA-GI-TLV-GE-I

I remember reading it doesn't have to be hard...My aunt touched my hair and said it shouldn't feel this way (even though it always felt this way to me so I wasn't surprised by how it felt) I also remember reading either here or on nappiturally that one of the things I should not have to deal with is hard hair- it should feel soft like cotton-

It only feels this way when it is patted or just when the hair is rubbed, but not when it the curl is stretched the hair feels soft then...

I use wen fig (for now), organic extra virgin coconut oil, G direct leave in and sometimes I'll squirt in the fermadoyl 619 (yellow) and I also use the 233 at times..

I like the leave in and coconut oil becasue I know it is providing some moisture and there is no oiliness (SP) to it...

so basically co-wash, and use a leave in and an oil.... I don't know how to make it soft..or is this just the natural feel of my hair...

Some people just have a very coarse type of hair. Think "typical" Arab hair kinked up. Thick, strong strands that don't feel like cotton at all. It could be that you have this type of hair or, if you do naturally have a soft hair, which most fro hair is, it could be your leave-ins. Can you omit the leave-ins for a week but still oil and judge from there? Some leave-ins are like roller-setting lotion in feel and make it firm feeling.

I personally feel that the way we grade hair is off regarding the more curly types. Not all 3b-4c's are exactly the same in their own class. There's just so much variety. It's like makeup for "dark" skin. Well, what about the undertones? LOL.

Last edited:

Luxlii

I use conditioner as a moisturiser the best are Aveda (expensive) and Shea butter cholesteral (cheap). Coconut oil and castor oil seal and soften. Baggining helps a lot too, it locks in moisture. Also if you have a porosity problem try Roux porosity control it will help your hair stay moisturized longer.

mrsjohnson75

I was just thinking about this. Granted type 4 is the driest of all the hair types but it CAN be soft.

I agree with deep conditioning. Also try drinking more water and taking an omega 3 supplement. check if you have hard water.

When I was natural people were suprised when they touched my hair and it was soft because I have 4b hair. I was using s curl. You can try it but it can leave buildup..Also try claifying like once a month. And if you use nay other shampoos watch out for sulfates.

:yep: I swear by scurl. I finger part my hair, spray it on the roots, then spray some on my hands and rub throughout the length and the ends of my hair. I use this with Nutrogena Triple Moisure Silk Touch leave-in creme and my hair is very soft.

blksndrlla

I read a thread yesterday where a bunch of women said that GD made their hair extremely hard. You may need to try some different leave ins...

Nonie

Originally posted by Caramel Jewel
what do you use and/or do when you baggie...

What do you mean? As stated above I baggy every night and I use no products when wearing my hair in braids and twists. I just shampoo and condition twice a week and on one of those occasion, I DC instead of a simple conditioning--with or without heat--usually on weekends. And that if I comb my hair out (as in that pic) I use S Curl Spray. Every night I just plait my hair and put on a plastic cap. In the AM I take off cap, undo plaits and comb my detangled hair with ease into that 'fro. The application of S Curl on wash day lasts me until the next wash day. Baggying every night, I believe, helps with that. S Curl keeps my hair moist (cool) and soft without being icky sticky. I don't leave marks when I lean on furniture or stuff. Love it!!!

If you mean what shampoos/conditioners do I use, I use any gel-like shampoo...mainly to clean my scalp and then squeeze it through the hair during the rinse. Examples Trader Joe's Nourish Spa and TJ's Tea Tree Tingle (?), Garnier Fructis.... As for conditioners, anything that is creamy and/or that smells nice. Organix, Organics Red Italian Grape, TJ's nourish spa, AO Honeysuckle Rose, HE Long Relationship.... For strength conditioning, I use Emergencee or AO GPB.

locabouthair

^The first time I used it I couldnt keep my hands out my hair. And I have the coarsest hair ever! Some strands feel like wire seriously.. Even my friend who's quick to tell me about my "bad hair" told me that it softened my hair.

Buy the small bottle for like $3..

BrownEyez22

When ppl touch my hair they always comment on how soft it is. I like creamy moisturizers like cantu shea butter and Ors/GroHealthy olive oil for my 4 type hair.

I always seal with a tiny bit of castor oil too. HTH

FindingMe

my hair is VERY coarse and more wavy than curly, I consider myself a 4a. I use coconut oil and then seal with shea butter. The shea helps to smooth my hair out since it's more like a paste, but since I've been using that combo, even my relaxed ends have felt more moisturized (especially shea butter on the ends...)

CenteredGirl

My 4 hair is porous. DC is the general sense it fruitless. It's like putting water in a boat full of holes. Hense I DC with oils and butters first to get a "sebum-like" coat on it, and then I DC with a no cone condish. Works miracles for me.

I really need to give a shout out to my girl RusticBeauty on Youtube. She's brilliant and her hair proves that 4 natural hair can be long, manageable and awesome.

Lucky's Mom

This has Changed my hair. If I go too long without DCing... I have ISSUES.

anniev2

You've brought up a very intriguing topic...

Currently I'm a natural 4b and when my hair is wet its a poof with some ringlets on the end (Cloud of Naps as they call it.) I have wanted to embrace my natural hair but I just cannot. Its sooooo hard when it dries. Last weekend, I washed and i put conditioner (Aussie Moist) in my hair...all through it and i pulled it back and kept the conditioner in all day thinking my hair would be so soft when it dried...NOT! IT WAS STILL SO DRY and hard. Let's not even talk about my attempt at a braid out. I ended up with hair like straw from a broom after it was over.

However, when I straighten my hair it feels soft to me. So I conclude that the kinks/curls/coils whatever they are called just feel rougher on the fingers but in actuality they are not dry or hard because when straightened it feels better.

I use Chi Silk Infusion...generously...i squirt it in on a saucer and i dip my fingers in it and apply it to every section as I flat iron. Could it be that the silicone in CSI is masking the roughness? I think I read a post where silicone can do that.

But back to your question. I think that protein is 10% of my problem and moisture is 90% of it. Maybe you should experiment with more Deep Conditioners and find the DC that works best for you. Have you been able to identify if you have problem breakage or shedding?

Also, when I used EVOO my hair felt very hard.

Hairsofab

I always get that hard hair too when I wear my hair out no matter how much I condition and moisturize. Maybe I'm not using the right stuff. But I can put all that stuff on in the morning and then by the afternoon my hair is tight and hard as a rock.

Nonie

Currently I'm a natural 4b and when my hair is wet its a poof with some ringlets on the end (Cloud of Naps as they call it.) I have wanted to embrace my natural hair but I just cannot. Its sooooo hard when it dries. Last weekend, I washed and i put conditioner (Aussie Moist) in my hair...all through it and i pulled it back and kept the conditioner in all day thinking my hair would be so soft when it dried...NOT! IT WAS STILL SO DRY and hard. Let's not even talk about my attempt at a braid out. I ended up with hair like straw from a broom after it was over.

However, when I straighten my hair it feels soft to me. So I conclude that the kinks/curls/coils whatever they are called just feel rougher on the fingers but in actuality they are not dry or hard because when straightened it feels better.

I use Chi Silk Infusion...generously...i squirt it in on a saucer and i dip my fingers in it and apply it to every section as I flat iron. Could it be that the silicone in CSI is masking the roughness? I think I read a post where silicone can do that.

But back to your question. I think that protein is 10% of my problem and moisture is 90% of it. Maybe you should experiment with more Deep Conditioners and find the DC that works best for you. Have you been able to identify if you have problem breakage or shedding?

The two products you mention would give me hard hair witout fail, EVOO and a creamy conditioner drying on my hair.

I really suggest you try S Curl spray. Nothing else. Now I must warn you that if you apply this to damp hair, your hair may feel a bit hard when it dries...but just apply some more to make it moist. Then plait it for the night and baggy. In the AM, undo the plaits and style in that pulled back style you tried with Aussie, and see how your hair feels. No need to apply S Curl again. Just plait it for the night and baggy. I think you'll fall in love with your hair.

The other thing I'd like to warn you about is that S Curl will not reduce shrinkage, but I'm hoping that's not a big deal to you. I normally wash my hair every 3 days or so, so I don't know if my hair would have stretched more with time, but this pic kind shows you the shrinkage I get and the softness is out of this world:

I do not get build up from S Curl but that might be because I only apply it on wash day and it lasts me until wash day.

La Colocha

The two products you mention would give me hard hair witout fail, EVOO and a creamy conditioner drying on my hair.

I really suggest you try S Curl spray. Nothing else. Now I must warn you that if you apply this to damp hair, your hair may feel a bit hard when it dries...but just apply some more to make it moist. Then plait it for the night and baggy. In the AM, undo the plaits and style in that pulled back style you tried with Aussie, and see how your hair feels. No need to apply S Curl again. Just plait it for the night and baggy. I think you'll fall in love with your hair.

The other thing I'd like to warn you about is that S Curl will not reduce shrinkage, but I'm hoping that's not a big deal to you. I normally wash my hair every 3 days or so, so I don't know if my hair would have stretched more with time, but this pic kind shows you the shrinkage I get and the softness is out of this world:

I do not get build up from S Curl but that might be because I only apply it on wash day and it lasts me until wash day.

:love: Nonie i love your hair i want to squeeze a puff:look:. Sorry ot.

SmartyPants

If your hair is hard it's probably dry and you need a good moisturizer. Do you DC your hair. When my hair was dry, I DC'd with steam 3 times a week until I got it under control. Now I only DC with steam once a week.

bludaydreamr

As a fellow type 4, my heart goes out to you the OP. I have tried so many different things to get that soft feeling so many naturals speak about. DC with steam was one of the best things for me, but I also realized as another poster mentioned that my fine strands seemed to be porous and would lose a lot of moisture. Moisturizing and Sealing with Shea would weigh my hair down and dry it out in a day or two. Other then DC, and keeping my hair moist with water (maybe a little 14n1 on my ends), on wash day I layer my Cantu Shea butter LI or G Direct LI with HS 14n1 put a few chunky twist in and let it air dry. I did this Monday and my hair is still so soft and touchable that I have not moisturized it since.

Nonie, the style you posted is so cute!

BeautifulFlower

When I first learned of EVOO as something that could be used on hair, I tried it on mine and got steel-wool hair. Hard, rough, shiny/greasy hair.

I concur. EVOO made my hair feel terrible. I use shea butter, coconut oil, and castor oil. Castor oil is the truth.

chebaby

im not a 4, im a 3c but i can tell you that when i first went natural i was using the wrong products and my hair was sooooooo crunchy. and evoo was one of those products(although i still add it to my conditioners i just cant use it straight on my hair). now i've found several products that work for me(curls milkshake and kbb hair milk) and my hair stays soft all day. coconut oil and vatika frosting to seal still makes my hair amazingly soft as it did when i was relaxed. my hair is never hard now. and its fluffy when i pick it out. i also deep condition 203x a week and co wash daily.

anniev2

As a fellow type 4, my heart goes out to you the OP. I have tried so many different things to get that soft feeling so many naturals speak about. DC with steam was one of the best things for me, but I also realized as another poster mentioned that my fine strands seemed to be porous and would lose a lot of moisture. Moisturizing and Sealing with Shea would weigh my hair down and dry it out in a day or two. Other then DC, and keeping my hair moist with water (maybe a little 14n1 on my ends), on wash day I layer my Cantu Shea butter LI or G Direct LI with HS 14n1 put a few chunky twist in and let it air dry. I did this Monday and my hair is still so soft and touchable that I have not moisturized it since.

Nonie, the style you posted is so cute!

Thank you for your sentiment because it really is frustrating. I grew this natural out using weaves for 3 years...I'm really not wanting to give up on it but gurl...a relaxer is around the corner.

i've narrowed down moisture, not protein, as my issue. Before I schedule that relaxer appt, I'm going to try doing some serious deep, super deep conditions. I just need to find the right product. I have some Porosity Control conditioner and I'm going to see if that works this evening. Last night I did a hot oil treatment with coconot and jojoba oil. Anyway, I'm trying and I'm not giving up just yet! :nono:

JustKiya

:look: For anyone looking for a GOOD DC - my two favorites are ElastaQP Intense Fortifying Conditioner (available at your local BSS) and Eqyss Premier Conditioner (available at your local horse shop).
Also, add some honey and/or molasses to your DC, and incorporate steam. :lick: Your hair will LOVE you.

msmills2U

my hair is soft like Cotton since I use baking soda in my conditioner...I mix a heaping tablespoon..mix it up in any conditioner..no specific brand and leave in on with a plastic cap for a least an hour..usually much longer. I do this like once every two weeks

I use daily:S curl and fantasia gel when I wear my puffs and twist

bermudabeauty

I have 4a hair and my hair is soft. I notice as soon as I put the Neutrogena Triple Moisture Conditioner in my hair my hair has beautiful curl definition and feels so moisturised and soft.