Pick and Drop Braids

Amour

Has anyone had these done before? Braids which are plaited for down the hair for about 2.5 inch, knotted, then the rest is just left out. I got this done for my holiday and i'm terrified to take my hair out, im nervous about the potential damage. If anyone has had these done, was their any damage caused to your hair?

Also is this normal with braids, at my hair like I can see hairs with the bulbs on them sticking out of my head, I thought it was flakiness but on a closer inspection it is actually my hair. Is this just my shed hair? or could it be where my hair has been pulled out because of the tightness of the braids :ohwell:??

Amour

I don't have any pics, I am not at home.

If anyone has tried this style of braiding before, did it detrimentally affect your hair in any way?

HoneyDew

So is some of your hair left out AFTER the knot? Is it a tight know or a loose one?

I have gotten braids sorts like that, but it was braided all the way down a little past my own hair. So I could easily cut at the knot and not cut my own hair.

And yes, I do see bulbs sometimes. You hair is still shedding so you it is possible to see that. Only a little though. I would be scared if it was a lot.

Amour

So is some of your hair left out AFTER the knot? Is it a tight know or a loose one?

I have gotten braids sorts like that, but it was braided all the way down a little past my own hair. So I could easily cut at the knot and not cut my own hair.

And yes, I do see bulbs sometimes. You hair is still shedding so you it is possible to see that. Only a little though. I would be scared if it was a lot.

yep my hair is left out after the knot :sad:, its not a tight knot though, I have taken out a few braids at the hairline and it was easy to remove. the type of braids you had would have been better for me, I don't know what I was thinking. Its not a lot of shedded hair that I can see. I've only had the braids in a couple of weeks and will take them out ASAP as soon as i get someone to help me.

FlawedBeauty

i have had these before. its an alternative to using the nail glue. if they went far enough past your hair before they knotted then there shouldn't be anymore damage than if you had normal braids.

if you had a lady that couldn't care less about your hair doin the braiding then you may run into problems if thshe knotted up your hair along with the fake hair. thats what happened to me in some spots and it was a total disaster!!! i had to cut some of them out.

as for the bulbs that could be from the braids being too tight, again it has happened to me. woman braided my hair so tight, and they were small braids, that my hair just started poppin out at the roots. sometimes entire braids would just come out in my hand and you could see all the roods stickin out of where the braid was first started!!!

hth a little :)

Amour

i have had these before. its an alternative to using the nail glue. if they went far enough past your hair before they knotted then there shouldn't be anymore damage than if you had normal braids.

if you had a lady that couldn't care less about your hair doin the braiding then you may run into problems if thshe knotted up your hair along with the fake hair. thats what happened to me in some spots and it was a total disaster!!! i had to cut some of them out.

as for the bulbs that could be from the braids being too tight, again it has happened to me. woman braided my hair so tight, and they were small braids, that my hair just started poppin out at the roots. sometimes entire braids would just come out in my hand and you could see all the roods stickin out of where the braid was first started!!!

hth a little :)

:nono: at the bolded... nope they were knotted, before my hair ended, my hair was too long to do the style. I should have opted for braids that went past my hair, but I didn't want to be doing my hair all day..

turnergirl

I have had these more than once. 2 times actually. They sound like micro braids that are knotted at the bottom of the hair length. These never damaged my hair and I actually loved them a great deal. The key to getting them is making sure the knot is done at least an inch beneath your natural hair. Then when you take them out, use the end of a bobby pin with wax on it, insert it through the knot and pull it out.

sunshinelady

Wash them a few days ahead to loosen the knot, then after they are fully dry use a rattail comb to comb the knots out. It shouldn't damage your hair.

Blackoutzangel05

If you had had the knot done past your natural hair then you would be fine but if not, which you are telling us its not, then I would have to take those out. I do not want my hair knotted at all because that is going to be hard to take out after extended wear and you are really not protecting your ends if they are exposed like that, so the braids are more harmful then helpful. IMO:ohwell:

FlawedBeauty

:nono: at the bolded... nope they were knotted, before my hair ended, my hair was too long to do the style. I should have opted for braids that went past my hair, but I didn't want to be doing my hair all day..

eesh...even if you do manage to get the knot out without ipping r struggling with it you might still expierence some breakage if you haven't kept them moisturized the entire time they were in. i was able to get some of mine out just fine, but my ends eventually still broke off from the lack of moisture and them benig knotted for so long. have you been keeping your hair moisturized well while in the braids?

Iluvsmuhgrass

I've had them and even though I liked them, I hated them at the same time. My hair was a dried mess because the ends of my hair were out.... when it became humid my hair puffed up and stood out from the human braiding hair. Get some better braids take out spray and lube your braids up a few days in advance. It will save you from alot of breakage. I had someone (My SO) cut the knots and ONLY THE KNOTS. We then picked though the braids. It can be done with minimal damage.... you just have to use patience and take your time. :) HTH

BTW if you've had your hair in braids for a while, don't wig out by the shed hair. You haven't been able to comb your hair for a while so all of what would have shed naturally is still in the braids. If you see alot of white bulbs it may have been due to tension. Take time to baby your scalp and hopefully everything will turn out fine. :)