I love Baking Soda Shampoo!!!

Do you use Shampoos with sulfates?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

tffy2004

All it is is 2 cups of warm water and a tablespoon of Baking Soda.

Hi there my hair sisters, I know I have been gone for a while but I'm back and ready to jump back in. This one is for the naturals although I think relaxed and texlaxed ladies may benefit from this too.

I was at another hair forum and found a link to a young lady on youtube who does videos on how she cares for her hair (NajahFace) While there I found that she doesn't use shampoos that have sulfates(a lathering agent) because the sulfate drys out African American hair. The 3:50 mark is where she mentions the sulfate in shampoos.

It has been passed around that lather is equated to clean hair. Well I think that is true. When I was young my mom wouldn't shampoo my hair but say 1 time a month and when she would at first after applying the shampoo it wouldn't lather, but by the second time around the shampoo would lather, thus meaning my hair was free of enough dirt that it was considered by her to be clean. Its good to know when your hair is clean but the flip side is the sulfate will dry your hair especially if your hair is natural.

I have natural hair now and I have been using this for the past two shampoos now and I have to say I like it a lot better than manufatored shampoos that I have used in the past.

Does anyone else use this Baking Soda cleanser?

Everything Zen

I will definitely give this one a try at some point. Although I thought I read somewhere that baking soda can eventually lighten your hair so be careful!

rosalindb

I use this once every two weeks - removes build up and leaves my scalp feeling so clean.

I have been doing this for about a year but had not clarified prior to this so cannot compare it to any other clarfifying shampoos etc.

Another benefit is that it is so cheap. I also use it to brush my teeth, exfoliate my face. I love this stuff.

jewel

I use baking soda with my shampoo for an extra kick. Baking soda is one of my staple products that I will never part. It is wonderful in removing buildup from products applied to the hair. :D

sareca

I use it in my bath water and I start every bath by laying on the bottom of the tub completely submerged. :)

tffy2004

VeeJai said:
do you just pour it in your hair let it sit then rinse?

What I do is I pour about half of it over my head and massage it into my scalp to get it clean and then I rinse and then use the last half of it the same way and then I'm done.

tffy2004

sunshinelady said:
Isn't it gritty?

Nope its not gritty at all. Since you are using a tablespoon of baking soda and two cups of warm water it dissolves. I put mine in an old shampoo bottle and shake it up and it dissolves really quick.

*Michelle*

Baking soda makes a GREAT clarifier! I add it to my shampoo and there is my clarifier!

That is when not being lazy...

mochamadness

Going the Distance
I've heard good things about baking soda as a clarifier, but haven't tried it yet. I'm glad it's working for you!

bgsix

I have never tried it, but it sounds good.

Congratulations on the baby! Glad to have you back.

PatTodd

When I used shampoo, I always used to add baking soda to my (diluted) shampoo to clarify.

Now that I am "almost" natural, I use the baking soda alone if I feel I need to clarify.

I have used baking soda for everything - to exfoliate my face, brush my teeth, in my hair and to clean. Baking soda is great!

Xavier

I used this method yesterday and it did not work out for me. I added the water and baking soda and scrubed my scalp. Then I left it on for about five more minutes before rinsing. When I began to rinse my hair felt so oily and I could see the product buildup under my nails. I kept rinsing and rubbing but the oily residue would not go away(this very same reason is why I can not do cowashes). I finally just went ahead and used some shampoo.

tffy2004

Xavier, I don't think its recommened to let it sit in your hair. You should try it again and don't let it sit in your hair.