Deep Conditioner- Too Long?

BabyShaq

How long is too long to keep in a deep conditioner? I didn't use any heat... just washed my hair and massaged in some deep conditioner. I placed a plastic cap on my head and went to bed... now I'm at work with a scarf covering the plastic cap because I didn't wake up early enough to rinse the conditioner out and blow dry... eek! I'm all natural (until Saturday)... will leaving in the conditioner for so long screw up my hair? I hope not... help!

AnjelLuvs

For one I wanna know where you work that you can come in with a plastic cap :smile: ...But, I dont think you can over condition, but I would suggest at the end of week do a protein conditioner to balance it off...

LizLeila

I have overconditined before, I think. It could have also just been a poor product choice too. My hair came out limp and really heavy instead of bouncy. But I have left conditioner in my hair for as long as you have and been fine.

BabyShaq

AnjelLuvsUBabe said:
For one I wanna know where you work that you can come in with a plastic cap :smile: ...But, I dont think you can over condition, but I would suggest at the end of week do a protein conditioner to balance it off...

Ha ha! My internship has a relaxed dress code so I can get away with wearing a scarf on my head, lol. So, I just tucked the red plastic bag underneath the scarf... they have no idea. :)

onepraying

Healthy Hair Quest..
BabyShaq said:
How long is too long to keep in a deep conditioner? I didn't use any heat... just washed my hair and massaged in some deep conditioner. I placed a plastic cap on my head and went to bed... now I'm at work with a scarf covering the plastic cap because I didn't wake up early enough to rinse the conditioner out and blow dry... eek! I'm all natural (until Saturday)... will leaving in the conditioner for so long screw up my hair? I hope not... help!

It all depends on the conditioner and how your hair reacts. There actually is a thread on overconditioning.

If the conditioner has a large amount of protien in it you'll end up with hard-like or protein feeling hair....I'd just come behind with a moisturizing treatment like hot oil or something.

Now, I've left ORS Olive Oil Pak on for days then rinsed. I've mixed it with cholestrol and honey and left on for days and my hair felt good and soft.

I've just begun to experiment with leaving conditioner in for a day or so.

HoneyDew

If i use a conditoner that my hair dislikes this happens. But, I think that it would have happened even if i did not leave in that long. Some products marked as "conditioners" just don't seem to have a good effect on my hair.

maryj1584

I do that all the time, haha:lol:

BabyShaq said:
Ha ha! My internship has a relaxed dress code so I can get away with wearing a scarf on my head, lol. So, I just tucked the red plastic bag underneath the scarf... they have no idea. :)

BabyShaq

So I came home and finally rinsed out my hair. It was actually still moist-- very damp. The plastic cap definitely locked in the moisture. My hair was much softer and easier to part for blowdrying. Yay for no damage, lol. Thanks for those who replied!

candita

HoneyDew said:
If i use a conditoner that my hair dislikes this happens. But, I think that it would have happened even if i did not leave in that long. Some products marked as "conditioners" just don't seem to have a good effect on my hair.

I'll slather some conditioner in my hair and sleep in a cap overnight and rinse out before leaving for work in the morning. My hair loves it, it leaves it soft and shiny all day. I'm careful to make sure the conditioners aren't too full of protein though (although this also works wonders with GPB).

CurleeDST

My hairdresser says that you should follow the directions on the container of the conditioner b/c they are chemicals too. If overused they can have the reverse effect on the hair.

BabyShaq said:

sylver2

I sleep in conditioner all the time. I have left it in for an entire weekend. Not protein, but a regular deep conditioner like NTM. Hair feels sooo good afterwards

Cincysweetie

I leave conditioner in for HOURS. Overnight, all day, and yes...I am one of those women that goes out in public with the conditioner in her hair. As long as it's all soaked in and you can't see it...who even knows the difference? :look: My hair likes the extra deep conditioning!

CurleeDST, that's interesting what you shared about your stylist.