Relaxing Flat Ironed Hair??

FlawedBeauty

I have read that some ladies will relax their flat ironed hair and it helps to get the hair more straight. So I have 2 questions:

1. Are the only ladies doing this the ones that are relaxing bone straight?

2. Has anyone had any adverse effects from this??

I ask because my last texlax hardly took at all on the bottom half of my hair because my curls are so tight. I dont wanna do it though if its gonna come out bone straight using this method.

I'm also afraid to do this because it just seems like my flat ironed hair is so much more fragile than airdried hair if that makes any sense :look:

Je Ne Sais Quoi

I used to flatiron my relaxed hair all the time (this was before i joined). I think you should be ok FB as long as you don't go overboard. Make sure you use your heat protectant and such. And yes, my hair was the typical boned-laxed type.

morehairplease

I used to flatiron my relaxed hair all the time (this was before i joined). I think you should be ok FB as long as you don't go overboard. Make sure you use your heat protectant and such. And yes, my hair was the typical boned-laxed type.

co-siging! Fabulousity I like the new name.....cool!!:yep:

FlawedBeauty

i think i may have worded this post wrong lol.

i mean relaxing after the hair has been flat ironed. you know like flat iron and then slap on some relaxer to make the relaxer take better?

HighlyFavored1

My biggest worry about this is that it would be much easier to accidentally overlap the relaxer. I always want my roots to look visibly different from the rest of my hair so that it is as clear as possible where the line of demarcation is. If my hair is all flatironed, its much more difficult to distinguish the newgrowth from the previously relaxed hair.

FemmeCreole

Island Gyal
she asking about relaxing hair after flat ironing.....as in flat iron then slap on a relaxer

to answer the question somewhat..... That sounds scary. I wouldn't attempt it

gymfreak336

yes, that is correct :yep:

This is usually only for people with very resistant hair. If you hair processes okay with a regular relaxer then I wouldn't recommend it.

For the ladies that can use super and still be underprocessed, the flat iron helps soften the cuticle layer a little so that the hair will accept the relaxer more easily. You also don't have to flat iron it until it is straighter. You are more or less just using it to warm the hair and open the cuticle just a touch.

morehairplease

i think i may have worded this post wrong lol.

i mean relaxing after the hair has been flat ironed. you know like flat iron and then slap on some relaxer to make the relaxer take better?

IIRC, someone mentioned flat ironing their new growth before they applied the relaxer due to their hair being more resistant to the relaxer and it worked great for them. I wonder if it makes it harder to know where the new growth for when you are relaxing so as not to overlap the hair(b/c the hair would all be straight...I hope this makes sense).

FlawedBeauty

thanks all. my hair is very resistant from the ear down. two totally different textures. the front of my head is like crappy waves and processes super fast, while the back half is tight spiral curls which dont wanna seem to loosen up :perplexed

gymfreak336

thanks all. my hair is very resistant from the ear down. two totally different textures. the front of my head is like crappy waves and processes super fast, while the back half is tight spiral curls which dont wanna seem to loosen up :perplexed

What relaxer are you using and whats your usual relaxer regime?

Xavier

I am happy you started this thread. I am about 4 months post. The longest I have been without a relaxer. I was trying to transition but I am really thinking about relaxing soon. I also have a hard time relaxing my hair because A) it is very resistant and B) it is very hard for me to get though my new growth because of the thickness which shortens my processing time.

I told myself the next time I relax I would flat iron my hair a couple of days before so that parting my hair would be a lot easier. Even after flat ironing I think I would still be able to distinguish between the previously relaxed hair, and my new growth... especially since I plan on waiting a couple of days before I actually relax.

FlawedBeauty

I use ORS regular and i relax whenever i feel like it lol. no set schedule or anything but never too early. i usually just wash the night b4 and avoid adding anything to my hair so it doesnt affect the relaxer taking. i part the back in two sections apply, smooth and wait. now it seems like its straight when washed but when it dries is super coily. i never had this problem with the coils being so tight and not wanting to budge.

the back last i texlaxed i left it on for 15 minutes and my curls are still very strong back there. the front only takes about 5 minutes cuz its so wavy and such a different texture

What relaxer are you using and whats your usual relaxer regime?

Artemis

This is usually only for people with very resistant hair. If you hair processes okay with a regular relaxer then I wouldn't recommend it.

For the ladies that can use super and still be underprocessed, the flat iron helps soften the cuticle layer a little so that the hair will accept the relaxer more easily. You also don't have to flat iron it until it is straighter. You are more or less just using it to warm the hair and open the cuticle just a touch.

ITA with what Gym is saying.

Flawed, you may just want to investigate your porosity, your products, and relaxer brands that you're using since you've got different textures going on. IIRC, I've seen you post in threads for ladies w/fine hair, so I don't see such an abrasive method going well for your hair--just thinking about this in terms of the number of cuticle layers fine strands have. You're essentially breaking down bonds in one layer to get to another in an attempt get the hair processed fullly...

And I too remember a poster back in the day who did this to get a straigher result...Supergirl posted in that thread :scratchch I wonder if she remembers it.

SelfStyled

Hey FB, I have fine hair and this method works really well for me to help to get my NG to straighten. This was my last ditch effort before I tried Super Affirm -which I really did not want to do.

On my last two t/u I flat ironed just the new growth only, and did only 1 pass with my 3/4 inch flat iron. The flat ironing serves the purpose to just get the ng to process easier. My hair is very resistant, always has been. I am thankful this technique worked for me because, if I couldn't get my ng straight I was going to have to go back to the salon, which I would rather not go back. Even with this technique my hair still does not come out bone straight, but it comes out straight enough for me:yep:.

I would only use this strategy if you have resistant hair, hth!