• Now Chlorella Powder

Votes: 8 2.7%
  • Vitamin Shoppe Super Chlorella

Votes: 34 11.7%
  • Other Chlorella brand

Votes: 45 15.5%

• Total voters

IndianAngel22

My eyes started getting really red yesterday and I got a headache. I thought this was part of my detox but my roomate things I'm getting some type of eye Virus or something. I can't feel it it's just really red, my eyes hurt, and I have a headache. I really hope this is detox because V day is tomorrow

soonergirl

Hey ladies I know there are a lot of us taking chlorella...But with the number of ladies on this site, I wonder why we dont hear from more ladies that are now taking this wonderful superfood.. Is it because most are lurkers and have decided to take it, or are there members that are remaining silent while taking chlorella... C'mon ladies if you are out there come out of hiding.. Its ok to talk about the detox side effects, your bm's and etc... I dont know just wondering why there arent more ladies on here taking this due to the significant benefit chlorella has...

soonergirl

My eyes started getting really red yesterday and I got a headache. I thought this was part of my detox but my roomate things I'm getting some type of eye Virus or something. I can't feel it it's just really red, my eyes hurt, and I have a headache. I really hope this is detox because V day is tomorrow

If your eye is crusting over with a yellowish-greenish goo you may have conjunctivitis (pink eye). The symptoms are severe to moderate eye pain and eye discharge. It is highly contagious and can be given to the other eye teasily if you rub them both, and can be spread to other people. Be careful the only cure is antibiotic eye drops... I had this dreadful infection last month!!!

Muse

Here's info about detox symptoms that I found. It's for another detoxing product but I thought the "Why?" would be helpful in understanding what's going on with our bodies when we detox. http://www.myjuvanex.com/index.php?im=signs

Reactions Why? What to do? Tired, Fatigue, Sleepy, Drowsy
  • Liver detoxification is activated. Body recovery/ repair is taking place
  • Insufficient water consumed.

• Good sign. Continue
  • Drink at least 8 glasses of water daily.
Increased Bowel Movement
  • Detoxification effects in the digestive system.

• Good sign. Continue
Uneasy feeling in stomach, frequent expulsion of gas

• Good sign. Continue
Constipation
  • Usually occurs when a fiber supplement is taken for the 1st time.
  • Insufficient water causes fiber to swell in intestine and become dry and compacted.

• Follow the drink with another large glass of water and drink at least 8 glasses of water daily.
  • If persists, take smaller dose more frequently, 1 scoop 4 times daily.
Urinate More Often
  • Liver detoxification is activated.
  • Stored toxines are directed to liver for processing. These are removed from body through urine.

• Good sign. Continue
  • Drink at least 8 glasses of water daily to flush out toxins.
Headache
  • Usually affect those with existing migraine problem.

• For severe case, reduce dosage to 1 scoop twice daily.
Coated tongue, mouth ulcer
  • Liver detoxification is activated. Toxins are pushed out from internal to external.

• Good sign. Continue
  • Drink more water.
Skin breakouts
  • Liver detoxification is activated. Toxins are pushed out from internal to external.
  • Those with existing skin problems such as eczeme or dermatitis are prone to experience skin reactions.

• Continue. Use mild topical cream to soothe breakouts. Drink more water.
  • If breakout persists after 7 days, continue with 1 scoop daily until skin is cleared.
Pain and aches
  • Detoxification effects. Removal of toxins from storage sites causes discomfort.
  • Usually affect those with acidic body.

• Continue. Conditions will improve.
Difficulty falling asleep at night
  • Increased metabolism during detoxification process.

• Do not take night dose just before bedtime.
Nausea, Vomitting, Severe Diarrhea, Fever
  • Usually affect those with weak liver.
  • Intolerance to high fiber content or herbs.
  • Dehydration

• Reduce dosage and drink at least 8 glasses of water daily.
  • If persists, stop taking product.
No Significant Reactions
  • Body is in good condition. Though effects may not be seen, general health status and body elimination system have been boosted.

• Continue. Product will help keep your liver and digestive system at peak efficacy.

CurlyMoo

Up to 2 tbls today. Just took 1 tbls and my left side is gurgly. I think I'm headed for the mother of all BM's today. :blush:

Muse

is anyone else having a peeing problem? i seem to go every 20 min and it's really annoying

OMG! Yes! I didn't post because I didn't see anyone else mention this. This is what lead me to the above info that I was posting because I googled frequent urination + detox.

Muse

This is interesting. I attributed the "extra" peeing to something else. Thanks!

Yeah I was thinking maybe from the increased water or I had a UTI coming on. Even with increased water intake I never go THIS often and the 1 and ONLY time I had a UTI was when I started MSM. MSM also has detox effects. I don't have painful urination just frequent so hopefully there will be no infection but I do know that risks are increased for some because there is a larger amount of toxins in the urine now because of the detox.

I'm afraid that some of us are so toxic that we will experience the Herx-reaction(feeling worse before feeling better) no matter how much we adjust our doses. I think I am one of those (unfortunately).

Last edited:

onelove08

Yeah I was thinking maybe from the increased water or I had a UTI coming on. Even with increased water intake I never go THIS often and the 1 and ONLY time I had a UTI was when I started MSM. MSM also has detox effects. I don't have painful urination just frequent so hopefully there will be no infection but I do know that risks are increased for some because there is a larger amount of toxins in the urine now because of the detox.

I'm afraid that some of us are so toxic that we will experience the Herx-reaction(feeling worse before feeling better) no matter how much we adjust our doses. I think I am one of those (unfortunately).

sorry to hear you are not feeling well.hopefully it will pass soon!
i am only taking 6g and try to lead a balanced lifestyle. extra urniation is the only bothersome side effect i have noticed. other than that, feeling pretty good! my body seems different? i do not know how to explain it... i did start taking aloe vera juice too.hmmmm...

yodie

BM today. Yay!! Took aloe last night. Seems weird. I haven't exercised, but it seems like I'm actually losing some weight. My mom is in town and I've eaten sweets. Ive even messed up on my no sweets challenge. DANG!!

Haven't weighed myself, but my pants are fitting a little looser.

I'll probably gain every pound back until mom leaves. (Sad face).

A few more bumps, but I imagine that I'll be detoxing for some time.

lovetolearn2828

I just got my chlorella today. I'm going to follow the advise and start off slow. Mine says to take 10 a day but I'm going to start with one which is 2g and slowly increase, plus drink lots of water. Am I correct?

IndianAngel22

I just took my chlorella in my yoplait digestive yogurt today, vanilla flavor. I don't think I can go wrong with this stuff.I just love the taste of Chlorella. Sometimes I just lick the powder the taste doesn't bother me at all. It bothered me more when it was in applejuice and I had to drink it. I put 2 teaspoons in there which is 6 grams. I love this stuff lol I must be weird

Kutie85

It came in the mail today from vitacost it took about a week. I'm just getting over dehydration from a stomach flu a week ago. So for now it's sitting in my scared to take pile right along with my maca pills.

luckiestdestiny

I just took my chlorella in my yoplait digestive yogurt today, vanilla flavor. I don't think I can go wrong with this stuff.I just love the taste of Chlorella. Sometimes I just lick the powder the taste doesn't bother me at all. It bothered me more when it was in applejuice and I had to drink it. I put 2 teaspoons in there which is 6 grams. I love this stuff lol I must be weird
The taste is actually growing on me too./

CurlyMoo

Here's info about detox symptoms that I found. It's for another detoxing product but I thought the "Why?" would be helpful in understanding what's going on with our bodies when we detox. http://www.myjuvanex.com/index.php?im=signs

Reactions Why? What to do? Tired, Fatigue, Sleepy, Drowsy
  • Liver detoxification is activated. Body recovery/ repair is taking place
  • Good sign. Continue
Increased Bowel Movement
  • Good sign. Continue
Uneasy feeling in stomach, frequent expulsion of gas
  • Good sign. Continue
Constipation
  • Usually occurs when a fiber supplement is taken for the 1st time.
  • Insufficient water causes fiber to swell in intestine and become dry and compacted.
  • Follow the drink with another large glass of water and drink at least 8 glasses of water daily.
  • If persists, take smaller dose more frequently, 1 scoop 4 times daily.
Urinate More Often
  • Liver detoxification is activated.
  • Stored toxines are directed to liver for processing. These are removed from body through urine.
  • Good sign. Continue
  • Drink at least 8 glasses of water daily to flush out toxins.
Headache
  • Usually affect those with existing migraine problem.
Coated tongue, mouth ulcer
  • Good sign. Continue
  • Drink more water.
Skin breakouts
  • Those with existing skin problems such as eczeme or dermatitis are prone to experience skin reactions.
  • Continue. Use mild topical cream to soothe breakouts. Drink more water.
  • If breakout persists after 7 days, continue with 1 scoop daily until skin is cleared.
Pain and aches
  • Detoxification effects. Removal of toxins from storage sites causes discomfort.
  • Usually affect those with acidic body.
  • Continue. Conditions will improve.
Difficulty falling asleep at night
  • Increased metabolism during detoxification process.
  • Do not take night dose just before bedtime.
Nausea, Vomitting, Severe Diarrhea, Fever
  • Usually affect those with weak liver.
  • Intolerance to high fiber content or herbs.
  • Dehydration
  • Reduce dosage and drink at least 8 glasses of water daily.
  • If persists, stop taking product.
No Significant Reactions
  • Body is in good condition. Though effects may not be seen, general health status and body elimination system have been boosted.
  • Continue. Product will help keep your liver and digestive system at peak efficacy.

WOW, Muse thank you. This really helps. I wanted to introduce this to my step-father but I see the side effects of the liver and it scares me. He has liver issues. If he stared having the nausea and vomiting it would not be a good situation. :ohwell:

Last edited:

Jaxhair

Yup, detox does that to you. I've had 2 vivid nightmares since I've been detoxing - on one, I lost a huge chunk of hair on my left temple - horrible! In another, I had an out of body experience - my body (could've been someone I love dearly too :perplexed) was burnt to ashes, my soul/spirit (or I) was there beside it and I was talking to it telling it I couldn't go on without it, and it was telling me I had to, it had had a wonderful time with me and now it's time was up (weird or what?). I was cold beyond comprehension, never felt so cold! That morning was my toughest yet on detox - couldn't get up even though i was awake, I was so emotional, I craved freshly squeezed orange juice, we didn't have oranges, so I just burst out crying (poor hubby telling me I should eat something, lol). Funny but I remember it and still feel it. And those dreams didn't help. There were more, just can't remember them.
Having said that, I'm loving fasting and detoxing. I'm on day 6 today and was awake at 4am and feel so energetic. I've since exercised, done laundry, dry brushed, showered, had a facial (did it myself), planned my lunch (tomato juice- yum!), read a little of my book and posting on my fave forum threads! Need to juice some brekkie though!

I have to tell you all about my crazy dream. I really don't remember most of it but the most important part, was I was with this guy I liked, and I decided to take off my makeup. I looked in the mirror in the bathroom and my face had this terrible rash that burned all over my face especially my cheeks. If you could take the taste buds on your tongue and put it on your face, that is what my face looked like. And if I touched it burned. *REMEMBER THIS IS MY DREAM, NOT REAL LIFE*...... So I was touching it and screaming like OMG why did I take off my makeup, I look horrible! I'm detoxing! This burns! And I was freaking out and crying and I was going to quit Chlorella forever because of what was on my face. I didn't know whether to push through with the Chlorella until the ugly taste bud looking rash went away, or come off it so it would go away. And if I missed a day would it return?

Upon waking up I was really scared inside. I was stuck in that middle faze between dream state and real life. The day before I had missed my dose of Chlorella, so I believe this was what caused the dream. Today I upped my grams from 1 full teaspoon to 2 teaspoon making 6 grams to make up for the day before. I don't know what that was all about but it scared the Bajeeezus out of me. And I was happy to wake up to a normal face, with no taste bud dots on it........

I can't believe I had a nightmare about detoxing from Chlorella. This is serious business! And when i think about it I cringe.

Jaxhair

Ditto the bolded.

The taste is actually growing on me too./

I love the taste of chlorella. I eat the tabs everytime I have a craving for something. My green superfood, which also has chlorella and spirulina (amongst many others) is tasty to me too. I take my jar of chlor everywhere with me with a bottle of water always, of course! With the SF powder, I take half to 1 tsp a day and I now put it in a little bowl with a tsp coconut oil and just dip and lick them off my finger. I'm loving detoxing!

luckiestdestiny

Hey ladies I know there are a lot of us taking chlorella...But with the number of ladies on this site, I wonder why we dont hear from more ladies that are now taking this wonderful superfood.. Is it because most are lurkers and have decided to take it, or are there members that are remaining silent while taking chlorella... C'mon ladies if you are out there come out of hiding.. Its ok to talk about the detox side effects, your bm's and etc... I dont know just wondering why there arent more ladies on here taking this due to the significant benefit chlorella has...

I know there's more. I get pm's from some of them with questions. At least report in on how you're doing! Would love to hear from you ladies.

Muse

sorry to hear you are not feeling well.hopefully it will pass soon!
i am only taking 6g and try to lead a balanced lifestyle. extra urniation is the only bothersome side effect i have noticed. other than that, feeling pretty good! my body seems different? i do not know how to explain it... i did start taking aloe vera juice too.hmmmm...

Thank you Onelove. I am not experiencing painful urination thankfully so I think I can rule out a UTI.

Why do you take AV juice? What is it suppose to do for you?

WOW, Muse thank you. This really helps. I wanted to introduce this to my step-father but I see the side effects of the liver and it scares me. He has liver issues. If he stared having the nausea and vomiting it would not be a good situation. :ohwell:

Yeah if anyone has liver problems I would steer clear of ANY detox products. Detoxing puts a lot of stress on the liver with all the extra toxins to be filtered through and if it's not healthy in the first place that could add extra problems.

onelove08

Thank you Onelove. I am not experiencing painful urination thankfully so I think I can rule out a UTI.

Why do you take AV juice? What is it suppose to do for you?

Yeah if anyone has liver problems I would steer clear of ANY detox products. Detoxing puts a lot of stress on the liver with all the extra toxins to be filtered through and if it's not healthy in the first place that could add extra problems.

you are welcome!
I was taking aloe vera juice last. year. i think i stopped because i was going through some issues. i also think that helped me shed some weight. it is also good for digestive issues as well. i am trying to be healthier over all. i actually like the taste of it. i think that a hair mask made out of the actual plant is said to grow hair? my sister swears by it. i think it has helped her lose weight as well. to date she has lost approximately 40 pounds. that combined with exercise and healthier eating habits along with portion control.

AtlantaJJ

I am loving my fabulous nails! This whole experience is great!
my nails are a perfect 10, I don't think I've been on the C for a good 3 weeks yet (I need to scroll back through the thread to find out) I've been on about 4 gms per day. I just got my powder and some more tabs to take to work. Lets see where we get from here.

I took a big dose yesterday, I'm feeling really wonky today :spinning: Just get those toxins out of there please, its okay that I don't feel 100%, I know why....

Platinum

I need to go to the health food store and pick up some Chlorella. I was taking it last year but I don't know why I stopped.:ohwell:

Muse

Ok so I have been lookin into all of the vits and mins we get out of chlorella(and spirulina for some of us) and how much we are receiving, especially those on higher doses. I am consuming higher doses of both chlorella and spirulina to help fight a disease but I began to worry about the very high amounts of Vitamin A (beta-carotene) I was taking in.

Excess Vitamin A intake can be toxic and lead to hair loss(the complete opposite of what we are looking for), liver damage, etc. I even read about a lady who said she was getting too much vitamin A and her hair was shedding. So then I began to think "why would all of the experts on these green foods recommend taking so much to fight disease if all of this vit A intake could be toxic?" so I did some googling and came up with this:
http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/id/QAA36660
Also:http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/vitamina.asp

Turns out it's the animal form of vitamin A that is toxic in high doses. It looks like the veggie form of vit A-the excess is just discarded by the body and doesn't build up. Looks like we are all clear! Pays to be informed:yep:

AtlantaJJ

Ok so I have been lookin into all of the vits and mins we get out of chlorella(and spirulina for some of us) and how much we are receiving, especially those on higher doses. I am consuming higher doses of both chlorella and spirulina to help fight a disease but I began to worry about the very high amounts of Vitamin A (beta-carotene) I was taking in.

Excess Vitamin A intake can be toxic and lead to hair loss(the complete opposite of what we are looking for), liver damage, etc. I even read about a lady who said she was getting too much vitamin A and her hair was shedding. So then I began to think "why would all of the experts on these green foods recommend taking so much to fight disease if all of this vit A intake could be toxic?" so I did some googling and came up with this:

Turns out it's the animal form of vitamin A that is toxic in high doses. It looks like the veggie form of vit A-the excess is just discarded by the body and doesn't build up. Looks like we are all clear! Pays to be informed:yep:
Muse, that is super excellent good looking out!!!!!

I just got a big ole bag of powdered Spirulina and the powdered Chlorella, I am about to go to town on this stuff so this great timely information!

ETA: I have a some hair vitamins left. I'll use them up over time because I hate to waste, but I see no need to ever purchase a hair vitamin again!

Last edited:

luckiestdestiny

Exactly and there's more. Because they're foods, not vitamins, there is no risk of toxic build up.