Mahogany Curls is now a Beauty Ambassador!

koolkittychick

BostonMaria is right. There are tons of type 4s on YouTube (the GreenBeautyChannel is one of the best out there for information on hair and hair care for 4s like me!), but advertisers don't want to use them because their hair cannot promote the image that they want for their hair care products. The most important things that hair care companies want the hair models they use to promote is the idea that their products will produce shine, fullness, and softness in the hair that it's applied to, in that order--and it has to convey that visually in both print and video. For type 4 hair, especially 4b-c hair, there is no way to do the high-gloss shine part without extreme manipulation (chemical, heat or mechanical) and/or a combination of other products, which defeats the purpose of advertising your product as a go-to solution for natural hair. It is much easier to get those glossy results from natural type 3 and below hair, and so they will default to that particular texture because it quickly conveys what they are trying to sell--hair that looks like shiny, curly silk, rather than soft, but dull, cotton. :ohwell:

BFeathers

So by wanting more and better representation for 4's hair type we are whining... Please there are plenty of 4's vlogging and youtubing that are not getting deals, because of companies marketing scheme to use 3's hair as the universal hair type for their marketing company targeting the natural hair community.

But Let me stop whining because I see past the nonsense.

This thread should be all about congratulating her not whining yes whining about companies not giving 4 somethings attention. MC can't do anything about it. Instead of complaining in a thread about her success write your congressman...companies and protest and complain.

The whole "wow! I'm happy for you but wish more natural natural sisters got recognition" in the same breath is such a backhanded congratulations.

NaturallyATLPCH

Congrats to her! I stopped using Shea Moisture once I found out that the Japanese Honeysuckle preservative used is the same molecular structure as a paraben.

No shade or hating, but let's face it, companies want to market their products based on an image (as Boston Maria and KoolKittyChick stated ). People don't want to see the realistic side because it's viewed as hating or "crabs in a barrel syndrome" when all they are doing is being objective.

But hey, who am I? :lol:

Last edited:

Subscribe

Didn't they do the exact same thing on Dark and Lovely products? The models either had on wigs or had 3a/b hair?

Didn't we realize that all those mascara commercials had models with strip lashes on?

Didn't we realize that those long hair shampoo/conditioner commercials were weave's?

Is this about 3ish hair or product sales?

What are we really mad about up in here or are we just mad?

greight

LOL, even if a separate thread was created, people would still say that 4b/4c folks are whining. It doesn't matter where this goes. Also, in many of the ET threads, when we have an black actress who is slated to play a character, similar discussions can pop up (see Aaliyah, Half a Yellow Sun, Nina Simone, etc, threads ) about representation.

Regarding why 4b/4c's don't make more videos, I personally attribute it to the amount of support there is for watching 4b/4c hair. It's not as popular compared to those who have 3b/3c/4a hair. For people who are making videos for free, especially when they start out, it's important to have that support because if you are making videos for public consumption and the public doesn't consume, then what? It's not encouraging so most people are likely to stop.

I also say that you can also see the difference between THICK vs FINE hair naturals as well in terms of video views. I don't watch these types of videos, but I'm betting that there are more views for weave videos than braiding videos as well.

ellebelle88

The whole "wow! I'm happy for you but wish more natural natural sisters got recognition" in the same breath is such a backhanded congratulations.

Well, it isn't like I know her personally or I'm writing this on her instagram/Facebook/Youtube page. I'm writing my opinions on a private forum designed to talk about everything related to Black hair. I'm not giving her a backhanded compliment because she won't eve see this.

Anyway comments like these remind me why the Black race will never advance. We don't like it when people speak on the truth about the limited representations of Black people in the media or anywhere. We'd rather shuck and jive and act like one step forward is a victory for the entire race.

ellebelle88

BostonMaria is right. There are tons of type 4s on YouTube (the GreenBeautyChannel is one of the best out there for information on hair and hair care for 4s like me!), but advertisers don't want to use them because their hair cannot promote the image that they want for their hair care products. The most important things that hair care companies want the hair models they use to promote is the idea that their products will produce shine, fullness, and softness in the hair that it's applied to, in that order--and it has to convey that visually in both print and video. For type 4 hair, especially 4b-c hair, there is no way to do the high-gloss shine part without extreme manipulation (chemical, heat or mechanical) and/or a combination of other products, which defeats the purpose of advertising your product as a go-to solution for natural hair. It is much easier to get those glossy results from natural type 3 and below hair, and so they will default to that particular texture because it quickly conveys what they are trying to sell--hair that looks like shiny, curly silk, rather than soft, but dull, cotton. :ohwell:
I gently disagree. With constant deep conditioning, and the right styling products, my hair is very shiny and my curls are defined and gorgeous.

iVR

Well, it isn't like I know her personally or I'm writing this on her instagram/Facebook/Youtube page. I'm writing my opinions on a private forum designed to talk about everything related to Black hair. I'm not giving her a backhanded compliment because she won't eve see this. Anyway comments like these remind me why the Black race will never advance. We don't like it when people speak on the truth about the limited representations of Black people in the media or anywhere. We'd rather shuck and jive and act like one step forward is a victory for the entire race.

Actually this forum is viewable by the public. This thread I know for a fact is viewable by the public. Just the pictures we post are "private" depending on the format we post them in.

ellebelle88

Actually this forum is viewable by the public. This thread I know for a fact is viewable by the public. Just the pictures we post are "private" depending on the format we post them in.

Either way, I still doubt she's checking this forum. But anyways, like I said, It's now like I posted this on any of her personal social media accounts. And again this is a Black hair care board! I don't owe her a compliment on here!

Subscribe

Either way, I still doubt she's checking this forum. But anyways, like I said, It's now like I posted this on any of her personal social media accounts. And again this is a Black hair care board! I don't owe her a compliment on here!

I think everyone in the hair game checks this forum and others. The R&D teams at haircare/beauty companies check social media and online forums/vlogs to see what is hot and what is not. :yep:

This forum is NOT a secret :nono:

greight

I agree with this. SM is a business not a civil rights movement, not a self esteem project or a non profit. They are in the business of making money. MC has a lot to offer companies. She is very marketable.

Why did her CONGRATULATIONS thread turn into a light skin/dark skin, good hair/bad hair thread????

The deep rooted issues that have been posted in this thread will not be solved by MC becoming beauty ambassador for SM :nono:

Hmmm, reading this thread, I don't see how it's a deep rooted issue to have more 4b/4c heads represented. I also don't see why we can't have the discussion in this type of thread, either. Saying that we need more hair types represented doesn't take away from others and congratulations nor do I see it as a backhanded compliment. For me, it's about expanding the pie and not limiting it. But then again, if that's how people perceive it, then agree/disagree.

I don't think people are arguing light skin/dark skin and good hair/bad hair in this thread. At least I'm not. I think that there should be more support for 4b/4c vloggers just like I think there should be more support for black people in general on YT since the popular channels are predominantly white/Asian with strong, consistent followers. That's how those channels flourish, gain momentum, corporate partnerships, etc.

I also don't see a problem with having this conversation in public viewing. Why not? There was a thread in the makeup forum about having more black women doing makeup who were a darker skin tone since it's hard to find swatches. Does that take away from other black women who are already on youtube making videos?

Can you list some of the YouTubers and bloggers that you think are going unnoticed
? I would love to go and follow them and share their videos. I would love to have more subscribers on YouTube myself, but it's not something I feel any kind of way about. I started my channel to put the information out there into the universe to share, not to get sponsorships or endorsements (though that would be great :look:). But, that's just me. *shrugs*

I haven't been on youtube in a while to follow hair care videos since I have been EXTRA lazy :look:. I don't see my hair type generally represented (fine 4b) so I just save videos; I'll have to go through my bookmarks to find some people that I really enjoyed.

Furthermore, I also believe that most people who start YT channels do so to put out information to help. But I believe that to get more of our people represented, we need to support them to get them noticed. I don't think that the support provided is equal. If it is, correct me.

greight

I think everyone in the hair game checks this forum and others. The R&D teams at haircare/beauty companies check social media and online forums/vlogs to see what is hot and what is not. :yep:

This forum is NOT a secret :nono:

Doesn't that make it MORE important to have this conversation not less? Because if someone is reading this, more fine-haired 4b's please :look:

And after being on this forum for 5 years, every time this conversation happens, it always devolves into "oh, you're being divisive" or "you have issues." :lol:

JaneBond007

These companies aren't stupid, they know that the majority of 4's wish for the curls of 3'ish and that's who they will take to represent their product and look that so many idolize. It's practically like all these relaxer boxes showing medium to light complexioned models because they know that subconsciously, that is what people truly want. Whites don't fare any better with the J. Frieda products. Loose and glossy are the "good curls." But most people want conditioned, controlled hair - their own textured hair.

The conversation is important but the insults are gee dee abrasive and unnecessary. Loyalists to MC will defend her if they sense disingenuous compliments. This whole discussion could open up in ways that maybe these companies will listen to - if, they are not being conducted as such. They use psychology to manipulate people into buying their products and this is where 4's can manipulate back and force them to stop promoting the idea that 3 is best, that glossier is best, that longer is best etc. Afterall, it's a beauty product, mostly. Where is the campaign, though? Why not write to the company itself and demand more representation of 4's or promote that others stop buying a product that is not interested in showing women of 4?

MC shouldn't become the sacrificial lamb, though.

Last edited:

Subscribe

These companies aren't stupid, they know that the majority of 4's wish for the curls of 3'ish and that's who they will take to represent their product and look that so many idolize. It's practically like all these relaxer boxes showing medium to light complexioned models because they know that subconsciously, that is what people truly want. Whites don't fare any better with the J. Frieda products. Loose and glossy are the "good curls." But most people want conditioned, controlled hair - their own textured hair.

I've seen a lot of 4's with cute curls. 4's need product for curls to pop and 3's don't right?

BFeathers

Well, it isn't like I know her personally or I'm writing this on her instagram/Facebook/Youtube page. I'm writing my opinions on a private forum designed to talk about everything related to Black hair. I'm not giving her a backhanded compliment because she won't eve see this.

Anyway comments like these remind me why the Black race will never advance. We don't like it when people speak on the truth about the limited representations of Black people in the media or anywhere. We'd rather shuck and jive and act like one step forward is a victory for the entire race.

Nope, you have it wrong there. It's comments like yours and they well I wish more 4s would get recognition and (b)witching, complaining and moaning in private and behind closed doors and just on boards rather than actually doing something about it.

We don't ever want to put forth the effort. You have to hustle to get subscribers and stuff. But nope. We just want it all handed to us and dropped out of the sky. That works for the few but the many and majority have to bust their asses but it's easier to just sit around and whine and say "why why why" rather do.

Speak the truth but only in private and in circles. Who's listening? Oh right, the same ol people over and over.

You sound so passionate about this so I'm assuming you're a 4a-b so your videos will be up soon yes???? :look:

greight

The conversation is important but the insults are gee dee abrasive and unnecessary. Loyalists to MC will defend her if they sense disingenuous compliments. This whole discussion could open up in ways that maybe these companies will listen to - if, they are not being conducted as such. They use psychology to manipulate people into buying their products and this is where 4's can manipulate back and force them to stop promoting the idea that 3 is best, that glossier is best, that longer is best etc. Afterall, it's a beauty product, mostly. Where is the campaign, though? Why not write to the company itself and demand more representation of 4's or promote that others stop buying a product that is not interested in showing women of 4?

You are right that there should be a campaign, but I don't think writing to these companies would make the impact we need. We demonstrate impact through dollars and through buzz. People talk about how this site gets read and somehow we see companies coming up with products building upon trends that occurred on this board or elsewhere on the Internet.

I also argue that for me, I'm not saying we should protest and stop buying Shea Moisture because Mahogany Curls :ohwell: Expand the pie, not diminish it. How does saying one wishes more representation mean that it needs to happen at the expense of another?

Nope, you have it wrong there. It's comments like yours and they well I wish more 4s would get recognition and (b)witching, complaining and moaning in private and behind closed doors and just on boards rather than actually doing something about it.

We don't ever want to put forth the effort. You have to hustle to get subscribers and stuff. But nope. We just want it all handed to us and dropped out of the sky. That works for the few but the many and majority have to bust their asses but it's easier to just sit around and whine and say "why why why" rather do.

Speak the truth but only in private and in circles. Who's listening? Oh right, the same ol people over and over.

You sound so passionate about this so I'm assuming you're a 4a-b so your videos will be up soon yes???? :look:

About the bolded: For those 4b/4c's who do have videos on YT, you think that it's because they don't put in the effort and hustle in order to get the subscribers? What are the videos lacking that can be addressed to make them more successful?

I honestly don't do videos since most of my time is spent working with low-income students in education. While I'm passionate about media/representation (this isn't my first post AT ALL regarding this topic :lachen:), I personally put in more effort towards education and developing social capital since I believe that will have a stronger, long term impact. Plus I'm poor and I don't have a camera :look: If someone wants to throw stones at me, have at it. :yep:

Going back to the larger point here, I think the next phase of the black hair movement is inclusivity and more representation (not just say with natural hair, but also considering texlaxed/relaxed/locs). I think if the discussion isn't happening here (however much people despise this commentary and think everything I'm saying is shade :lol:), it won't be happening period. Hair boards are ground zero for all things related to hair.

Last edited:

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
I applaud any woman who works hard and becomes a success. You, go, Mohogany Curls! :yay::cheers::clap::waytogo: What ever happened to being happy for people on this board?:rolleyes:

Bette Davis Eyes

The "OG" Product Junkie
I dont do videos. Theres only so much you can do that hasnt been done on YT in regards to natural hair.

There are plenty of Type 4s on YT, however the majority do not have a lot of followers. The ones that do have branched out into their own haircare lines or have reached their hair goals.

I dont stand for SM on the hair front. I only use their Purification Masque religiously, so its doesnt peak my interest to even attempt to make a foray into the YT video land to gain viewership.

Janell, Jenell ( I can never remember how to spell her name) as I said earlier in the thread goes hard for SM, and shes on her way or in NOLA right now for their launch of the new line.I follow her on Instagram. Do you feel we need more Type 4 folks for SM?

There Type 4s are more mainstream then it seems. There have been several lines to come out to support the Type 4 " hairtype " in the last few years. I've seen more fros and twistouts on commercials in the last 3 years than anything.