Pine Tar Shampoo

carmella25

What are the benefits of pine tar shampoo? Does it make your scalp tingle, does it make your hair soft when using it, and what it the best brand to use?

Brooke007

Member, Dumbledore's Army
[ QUOTE ]
Tar has been used for a long time as a treatment for eczema and other scalp problems. It is now known that tar is an excellent cleanser for the scalp. It removes excess accumulation of sebum and cholesterol.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Excessive Sebum
The accumulation of sebum in the scalp is believed to block hair follicles and contribute to hair loss. Recently, a group of Japanese researchers reported a correlation between excessive sebum in the scalp and hair loss. Excessive sebum often accompanying thinning hair is attributed to an enlargement of the sebaceous gland. They believe excessive sebum causes a high level of 5-alpha reductase which is then converted to DHT and also to pore clogging which would lead to malnutrition of the hair root.
·Cholesterol Accumulation
Cholesterol which has been known to produce the enzyme 5 alpha reductase can also accumulate in the skin and scalp. When this cholesterol accumulation comes in contact with sunlight it produces the enzyme 5 alpha reductase directly in the scalp. Since the hair follicles contain testosterone, DHT is then produced in the skin and on the scalp. Since the ultimate goal is to block DHT from reaching the hair follicles, it is very important to keep cholesterol from accumulating in the scalp.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just recently bought the Neutrogena Pine tar shampoo. It left my natural hair feeling kinda brittle. I recommend coating the hair with conditioner. Put the tar shampoo in an applicator bottle with some distilled water and applying to the scalp only and leave on for several minutes before rinsing. It does tingle a little and stinks alot. I don't have a brand recommendation thought. Hope this helps!

fancypants007

Hello Carmella, I just purchased the pine tar shampoo from vitaminshoppe.com and the brand is called "Heritage". It left my hair very soft. It says that if you have a dandruff problem its great, but it also recommended that you can use it as your regular shampoo. It is not harsh. If you do a search, I posted some information about what the manufacturer says it will do as well as the ingredients. I will be using this shampoo regularly.