Coconut Garlic Hair Loss/Shedding Remedy!

mocha.li

I'm going to definately try this. I'm thinking about trying it with my braids in but don't want the garlic to get stuck in my braids.

happylife

I'm going to definately try this. I'm thinking about trying it with my braids in but don't want the garlic to get stuck in my braids.

Good point! With my mix, there were tiny tiny particles of garlic. I had to use a fine tooth comb to get out as much as I could after washing. I can still smell some garlic. It is pretty remote and faint. I plan to rewash again in the morning just to kill any residual fragrance.

Taina

Garlic is always good for hair loss and other goodies, i love it. That's why i take garlic pills every day =)

yardgirl

I'm a STINK testimony that it works but I can't go out tonight smelling like this. The problem is that I did it as a DC: Humecto + Garlic + Wheat Germ Oil for 1/2 hour. While it's worked wonders for the minimal shedding, I could kill a vampire right now.

Stella B.

Thank you so much! Gotta print this out for my shedding times...I know they're not going away any time too soon!

Hersheygurl

I'm a STINK testimony that it works but I can't go out tonight smelling like this. The problem is that I did it as a DC: Humecto + Garlic + Wheat Germ Oil for 1/2 hour. While it's worked wonders for the minimal shedding, I could kill a vampire right now.

:lachen:

Cosigning that it does work though. I just did a touch-up with SE mild, and was shedding like crazy (will never use this relaxer again!) I used the same mixture as you but without the wheat germ ( will try that next time).

CaliDiamond

Does this work on hair that is breaking (due to stretching relaxer) or just shed hair?

It greatly reduced breakage for me. I have fine hair and the penetrating nature of the coconut oil made my hair slightly thicker. I believe it is because the losscoconut oil prevents of protein in the hair and protects the strands

ETA: I always apply a LITTLE bit of coconut oil at the demarcation line when I am rollersetting and this prevented breakage when I was stretching. (Thanks NinaDef!)

nakialovesshoes

For all of you professionals on the garlic for shedding, I want your opinion. Last night I put 3-4 sliced garlic cloves in 1/4-1/2 cup of coconut oil. Since I don't own a microwave, I heated it on low on the stove for about 30 minutes & removed it from the heat & let it sit overnight. Then tonight I reheated it since the coconut oil had solidified.

I drained the garlic bits & applied the infused oil to my scalp & hair. I didn't add an EO mainly because I forgot. I've had the prepoo in for about 5-6 hours & I reak of garlic. Do you think my method will work?

HealthyHair2007

I can't wait to try this on wash day. I have mixed coconut oil, evoo, minced garlic and a few drops of peppermint. I have it infusing in a cool dark place. I have never been so excited to prepoo...lol

HealthyHair2007

Ok, I have tried this two times and I must say I love it. I started trying this at 8 weeks post and I am 10 weeks post now and all I can say is WOW! What I love is the little end pieces that would usually break are hanging on... and those are the ones that I have the problems with. They are virtually gone. Not to mention my new growth is super soft making combing as easy as a fresh perm. :)

MsRR

You think it would be a good idea to try this if I already did the affirm 5 n 1 and although I dc my hair afterwards my hair was still hard to detangle...I haven't had a relaxer since Dec 18th and I did a BKT 2 weeks ago and I have breakage/shedding...but if I try this I don't want it to be hard to detangle like before...or should I just wait until after my next relaxer/bkt don't know which one I will do yet..it was my first BKT...what do you think anyone?

Last edited:

lushlady

I was skeptical of this, but tried it after I removed my tracks this past weekend. It really worked for me. Usually, even after I combed and brushed my hair after removing the tracks, I would lose even more hair when I washed it. I use a screen on my drain to catch hair and there was NO hair in it this time.

I don't measure when I do stuff like this, but I used 4 pieces of garlic and some olive oil that equaled about 1/3 cup. I blended this with my magic bullet until the garlic was liquid so I wouldn't have the problem with garlic chunks. I put the majority of it on my scalp and worked it onto my hair.

I also put yogurt mixed with an egg and avocado oil on my hair. I put on a plastic cap for about an hour while I cleaned. I rinsed this out then washed my hair three times with Alterna shampoo and used my 2 min. reconstructor (for 2 mins). My hair felt great after this and the only thing I did differently when I removed my weave was the garlic and olive oil.

I had two people who love me enough to be honest sniff my hair after it dried and they said it smelled good. So I didn't have a problem at all with the smell staying on me.

CaliDiamond

^^I was skeptical too..until my experimenting self tried it!
Not bad for a "non-pro"! :grin:
I am ecstatic that my post could help so many people.
The avocado/yogurt mixture sounds yummy!

Mecca_Goddess

I am def. trying this!!! I am natural and currently taking my locs down. Of course the hair that I am loosing as I take them down is what I would have naturally lost over the 4 years I have had my locs.... I would like to nip any shedding in the bud ASAP.

Once I have all my locs down I will be doing some DC treaments and well as protein treatments to get my hair back to where it was before my locs.

I used to experience what I consider excessive shedding then.... hopefully not any more.

Thanks OP!!!!

lamaria211

This is similar to my scalp mix that im now using only I also have onion and a few more oil in there. But its mostly EVOCO with rosemary and teatree essential oils. I believe its working well but its hard to tell at the moment because I'm in braids:)