Hair Care after chemotherapy related hair loss

sroceo

Hello, I'm new to the board. I found you from a posting on HairBoutique.

I lost all of my hair earlier this year due to chemotherapy treatments for breast cancer. I am an AA female, who previously relaxed and colored her hair.

My hair is coming back now, but it's coming back in with more gray than I had before (it's been a long rough year!). In about 4 more weeks, I think I will have enough hair to go scarfless, however, I do want to color.

Any suggestions on hair coloring? Please refresh my memory. If I start with Henna am I committed to it forever until I decide to cut it all off or let it grown out before I go to another type of coloring?

Do I have to stick with 'reds' to cover my gray? I was told before that I had to use some red to get complete coverage, but the beautician always over did it. I want a more natural look. I have light complexioned with yellow undertones in my skin.

As for relaxing, if I can go without this time around I certainly will. After chemo I'm told your hair comes back in very soft, which is what it is doing. Over time it will become less so, so i was told.

Thanks for any information.

Valerie

Dear Sroceo
I am sorry to hear about how rough your year has been. Try to eat a more based vegetarian diet, with lots of fish and chicken, and plently of salads. The Ladies are very good, with vitamins. It would be a good idea if you could improve the growth and strength of your hair. There are many good hair vitamins on the market like Hair Formula 37, Hairtopia, GNC Nourish Hair, Hair Fitness, also some Ladies take Liquid Vitamins, which has greater absorption. Take Biotin, Pantothenic Acic, Silica, Horsetail, Evening Primrose, Vitamin E, Shen Min, MSM The Ladies will be able to help you with the dosage you should be aiming for. If you use Henna, you will have to cut out your hair. Karimza by Soft Sheen make very nice hair colours from blondes, reds, browns, blacks. Also try rinsing your hair on a regular basis, if you add a little conditioner to a small bottle of bottled water, depending on the area you live in if your water is not hard, you could use tap water, shake up the bottle with the conditioner in it and pour on your hair, wrap your hair with a towel to soak up the excess water and make either a herbal tea rinse, such as nettle or rosemary, or a glycerine and water mix, pour on your hair and allow to air dry. This will improve your condition of your hair. <font color="purple"> </font color>

sweetcocoa

Hello and welcome. Sorry to hear about your ordeal. Looks as though things are looking up. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif
I'd be worried about adding anything to your hair until you know it is strong and thriving...which it seems to be doing. Give it more time before you start coloring. Your hair has a new start...a good base to work with. Valerie has some great tips.

Allandra

Welcome to the board Sroceo. I agree with Sweetcocoa. Give it a little more time before you start coloring. The advice Valerie offered sounds great too. I'm sure you'll find lots of helpful advice at this board. The people here are wonderful. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

henrilou

I am not "sorry " to hear about your ordeal. I am proud that you have survived and proved how strong the spirit is. Color your hair? What? you wear that hair with P-R-I-D-E. I am sort of thinking with some gel to loosen the kink (I don't know your hair type-but if it's close to mine you need that gel) And maybe get it shaped by a stylist. YOU sound goregeous. Is going that route a possibility for you? At any rate my hands are together for you and I am sending you good vibes and some positive prayer.

adrienne0914

hi, sroceo!

i've never colored my hair. so i have no advice in that regard. i just wanted to welcome you to the board, and congratulate you on surviving this long rough year!! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

adrienne

Tara

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
I lost all of my hair earlier this year due to chemotherapy treatments for breast cancer. I am an AA female, who previously relaxed and colored her hair.

My hair is coming back now, but it's coming back in with more gray than I had before (it's been a long rough year!). In about 4 more weeks, I think I will have enough hair to go scarfless, however, I do want to color.

[/ QUOTE ] First of all I just want to say that I am so glad that you survived your bout with cancer, that is no small feat, and I am glad to hear that you are a survivor.

Any suggestions on hair coloring? Please refresh my memory.

[/ QUOTE ]
In answer to your question, I was doing a search and I found this link for you:

http://www.freedompressonline.com/forwomen/forwomen.htm

As a survivor of cancer, you want to make sure that the dye you choose has no toxicity, and here are a list of the brands that are considered safe:

Light Mountain Natural Hair Color &amp; Conditioner (all shades)

Light Mountain Henna Gray (all shades)

Paul Penders Color-Me Naturally

Do I have to stick with 'reds' to cover my gray? I was told before that I had to use some red to get complete coverage, but the beautician always over did it. I want a more natural look. I have light complexioned with yellow undertones in my skin.

[/ QUOTE ]

Here is a piece of an article that I found at this link: http://www.substance.com/hn/haircolor/article/0,11365,217736,00.html

For complete coverage of hair that's more than 50 percent gray (or if it grows in patches) you'll need to use a permanent process. But, unless your gray is very premature, resist the temptation to go darker than your natural color -- it will just look harsh. Instead, pick a shade close to your natural color -- your roots will be less obvious.

If your hair is less than 50 percent gray but still fairly noticeable, you can probably use a strong semipermanent process. If you use either of these products yourself, keep in mind that gray and white hair tends to be resistant, so you might have to leave the dye on for the maximum amount of time. Do a strand test first to get it right.

Also, if you look at the Paul Pender site, he has a high quality selection of safe hair colors that will offer you quite a few coloring options. From my search it doesn't appear that you have to dye grays only red or blond. It seems that they will take any color just fine, but may process a little lighter than the rest of your hair, so it may create a natural "hightlights" effect.

As for relaxing, if I can go without this time around I certainly will. After chemo I'm told your hair comes back in very soft, which is what it is doing. Over time it will become less so, so i was told.

[/ QUOTE ] I would certainly check with your doctor to find out what they say about going back to relaxers after having chemo. My personal opinion would be to wait, maybe 6 months to even a year before you relax. If you need help with caring for your hair type as it develops. Since your hair type is changing it is best to see what happens first befor you relax. The people I've known personally that recovered with chemo, when their hair texture changed, it never went back to what it was before. In both instances this was fine with them.

One started with 4b hair, and after the chemo, her hair grew in and is now a type 2 (Ananda Lewis texture). So I would advise waiting the the length of time mentioned just to see what your hair becomes.

I know my post is long, and it's almost midnight here so I hope that this information was helpful, and if you have any questions, please let me know.

Tara /images/graemlins/smile.gif

sroceo

My thanks to all of you for taking time to answer my questions and give me your support. I am truly blessed!

I am going to start taking the Hairtopia basic formula. My oncologist said there was nothing contraindicated in the formula. I'll defintely check out the hair coloring sites. I appreciate the tips on 'safe' colors. I've been trying to go with more organics in my diet and just better eating habits overall. I'm sure I should treat the rest of my body the same way.
Thanks again and warm regards.