Wiry hair

coracaox

Does anyone else have wiry hair? I have tried EVERYTHING hot oil treatments, deep conditioners, heavy moisture and sealing. Still nothing. The only thing that has sort of worked was after an aphogee I would deep condition. And my hair would be not wiry for two days max. I know that this wiry hair has something to do with genetics. Bc it's only on my nape on the left side.
Any suggestions?
My friend told me put lime on it. I was like uh no I don't think so. Lol.

ManeStreet

I have wiry hair in my crown. Like you said I think it's just genetics. Sorry nothing helpful to add. But I do pay special attention to that area when deep conditioning it.

Tiye

If it's only on your nape and it's not breaking then I wouldn't worry about it. All of my hair is wirey and I got good results from the coconut and lime conditioner - there's a big thread about it in the natural living page if you want to know more.

ms-gg

Aka frostoppa
I have wiry hair (coarse hair). When you say "nothing working" for you, what are you trying to accomplish? Moisturized hair? "Softer hair"? hair that feels less coarse? What is your goal for your hair to achieve?

To prove the coarseness of my hair (cause sometimes I second guess someone who claims their hair is xyz without a picture):

As far as moisture is concerned, I use humectants the most. What I really love is Worlds of Curls activator gel. I stay away from all proteins because my coarse/wiry hair doesn't need anymore structure added to it. It just damages it or makes it feel like straw.

As far as trying to make it feel "finer" if that is your goal, it ain't happening. Wiry hair is going to feel wiry no matter what you put on it. It is still going to feel kind of rough. That's due to the over abundance of protein. If your hair starts to feel "soft" and weak, then that is an issue.

There is a difference between "soft" hair and "moisturized" hair. You can have one without the other. As long as your hair is not damaged and breaking, then your hair is okay. Please don't use lime. You will be very sorry.

HTH

Last edited:

coracaox

I want my hair to be softer. I just hate the feeling of my hair being wiry Also when I look at some of the strands they are thin in some areas and thick in other. I don't know what to do about it. I have tried more moisture and it still seems to happen. The hair does not break off but it does sometimes get a split end in the middle of the shaft.

nzeee

I have wiry hair (coarse hair). When you say "nothing working" for you, what are you trying to accomplish? Moisturized hair? "Softer hair"? hair that feels less coarse? What is your goal for your hair to achieve?

As far as moisture is concerned, I use humectants the most.

As far as trying to make it feel "finer" if that is your goal, it ain't happening. Wiry hair is going to feel wiry no matter what you put on it. It is still going to feel kind of rough. That's due to the over abundance of protein. If your hair starts to feel "soft" and weak, then that is an issue.

HTH

ms-gg: what a thorough and awesome response! (thanks wasn't good enough)

OP i have wiry hair throughout and my only complaint is that it takes A LONG TIME for my hair to feel wet. i honestly sorta hate this feature of our hair cuz it means that a cowash is never quick (by the time i've fully saturated my hair with water in preparation for condish more than 5+min passed).

i have recently experienced hair that is gloriously soft when wet tho. this is a totally new thing. it's still coarse when dry but through using WEN and sometimes the Terressentials Mudwash my hair is soft and almost silky feeling when wet and responds really well to moisturizing leave-ins now. i would like to preserve more of that softness after my hair fully dries (i like the plushy feeling of my damp hair) but ms-gg is right; if you have coarse hair, your hair should always feel coarse. when it starts to feel otherwise it's a sign of over-moisture which will lead to breakage if not corrected in time.

what works for me?
WEN (cowash & leave-in)
mudwash (shampoo replacement)
heavy hair butters (only when i need someone to style my hair and i know they won't be as patient as i would. i don't actually use stuff like shea regularly cuz it makes my hair hard after a day or so)
ACV rinses (helps my hair to remain smooth and detangled)
... that's it. no layering at this point. nothing complicated. as i stated i would like a tad more softness so i may try the detangling ghee from QB or the juicy leave-in from NC (if they ever make more :ohwell:)

coracaox

Thanks for the responses ms-gg and nzeee! :)I want to try the mud wash I think it would do great for my hair. I usually use products that I can't get from around my house like walgreens.

nzeee

I want my hair to be softer. I just hate the feeling of my hair being wiry Also when I look at some of the strands they are thin in some areas and thick in other. I don't know what to do about it. I have tried more moisture and it still seems to happen. The hair does not break off but it does sometimes get a split end in the middle of the shaft.

hey lady:
1. if you're not using heat, split ends are a sign of dryness. what products are you using now? (for wash and dc and leavin)

2. sorry, the not wiry feeling ain't gonna happen unfortch. it might be odd since it's different than the majority of your hair but it is what it is and won't change. think of it as a unique gift :lol:

3. fine and coarse strands can coexist. i have a few fine strands. i don't like-em cuz they're weak (no offence to the fine haired ladies). except for the low porosity thing, i like my wiry hair actually; especially in the top half of my head which is much less curly cuz it detangles soooo easy w/out excessive breakage

you sorta need to embrace it chica. it ain't gone change. try the mudwash :yep: it seriously helps w/ moisture retention. i clarified w/ ACV and did the detox before i tried WEN. i think if i went straight to WEN my results would be less than awesome.

coracaox

nzeee you are right I do need to accept it. I use trader joes nourish spas shampoo and tressame naturals mixed with mayo for a DC. I think that that one thing that contributes to dryness is that my nape is so far down on my neck that I can't cover it up with a plastic. And it ends ups drying out. Does it still moisturize dried? Also my nape is really short, maybe like an inch.

kupenda

I have a wiry patch in my crown. The strands are totally different than the rest of my hair. They are thick and feel heavy. Naturally shinier than the rest of my hair. They actually look like pubes lol. And they are the first to revert from heat styling because they rarely get completely straight. I accept that I'm stuck with them though. So they get extra oil and moisturizer. I massage there once week. The scalp is often easily irritated there so I have to be gentle. Be nice to your patch lol.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

nzeee

I have a wiry patch in my crown. The strands are totally different than the rest of my hair. They are thick and feel heavy. Naturally shinier than the rest of my hair. They actually look like pubes lol.
:lachen: lol @ the bolded. i thought about saying it a few times in my responses here but didn't wanna be the one to break out the pube comparison. thanks for doing it for me! but pubes (at least mine) are thick and relatively straight and easy to detangle so it's a win!

nzeee you are right I do need to accept it. I use trader joes nourish spas shampoo and tressame naturals mixed with mayo for a DC. I think that that one thing that contributes to dryness is that my nape is so far down on my neck that I can't cover it up with a plastic. And it ends ups drying out. Does it still moisturize dried? Also my nape is really short, maybe like an inch.

IMO you should use DC's to DC. that's just my opinion. i know some people use whatever but a DC is specially formulated to be extra-moisturizing so it will do a better job. imagine adding oils or honey or mayo to an actual DC :lick: it would be so much better.

from what you've listed here it looks like you also need a leave-in. i have no specific suggestions there cuz i only use WEN and am in the process of finding something heavier to use along w/ it...

but since the coarse part of your hair is 1" at your very nape, i wouldn't think there's a reason to get special products and regimen just for its sake. sounds like you need to tweak your products overall tho to add more moisture.

(oh, get a bigger showercap if the one you're using doesn't cover everything)

Stepiphanie

nzeee I need to try that Reggie with mud wash and wen. I used WEN as a relaxed head an loved it, but haven't repurchased since fling natural. I have fine strands mixed in as well and I'm not a fan.

I have a patch in the back of my head that Is extremely wiry, and I find that heavy sealing with butters, castor oil or grease, do help make it feel "softer".

nzeee

nzeee I need to try that Reggie with mud wash and wen. I used WEN as a relaxed head an loved it, but haven't repurchased since fling natural. I have fine strands mixed in as well and I'm not a fan.

I have a patch in the back of my head that Is extremely wiry, and I find that heavy sealing with butters, castor oil or grease, do help make it feel "softer".

@ Stepiphanie: Yassssss! do it! Do WEN & mudwash :grin: it's changed my hairlife for real.

OT omg your flexirod set is just :drool: :drool: soooo thick! it's gorgeous!