Negative side effects with Amla oil

Kinkyhairlady

Ladies I posted a few weeks ago about my hair breaking and I could not understand why. Well yesterday I washed and before I did I did a prepoo with the Amla oil for about 20 minutes and I proceeded to wash with Giovanni silk and smooth shampoo and conditioner. I apply kinky curly leave in and braided my hair in plaits, while doing so I noticed at least 3 spots where the hair was about half an inch, it looks like breakage at the roots. This morning I unbraided one of my braids and while unbraiding the hair was just snapping off ugh! Is it possible that the Amla is giving my hair this problem? I mean it is just an oil but I cannot understand what the problem is. Every time I try to care for my hair on my own it always breaks and I am fed up. Now I am not sure if I should wash my hair again tonight and do a protein treatment instead and stay away from the Amla or just leave it alone.

choctaw

You listed amla, giovanni shampoo, giovanni conditioner, kc leave-in -- how do you know which product is causing the breakage? Is amla oil the last product you added?

ms.blue

It could be that the amla oil is preventing moisture from getting to the hair strands. Oils tend to repel water. I suggest to stop using amla oil and see if that will work.

Last edited:

Lynnerie

Amla oil is supposed to strengthen the hair. Maybe you need to give your hair some moisture. I would wash it out and deep condition. Lay off the Amla oil- everything doesn't work for everybody. Listen to your hair.

Kinkyhairlady

You listed amla, giovanni shampoo, giovanni conditioner, kc leave-in -- how do you know which product is causing the breakage? Is amla oil the last product you added?

Well I been using the KK leave in and the Giovanni is new but the breakage started before that, it started when I first used the Amla. My hair was shedding big time and I was confused but yesterday it did not shed as much but the breakage was bad. Maybe the amla does not mix with the others? It has to be the Amla cause all the other stuff I use I've used before.

tHENATuRALhAiRpRoJEcT

Well I been using the KK leave in and the Giovanni is new but the breakage started before that, it started when I first used the Amla. My hair was shedding big time and I was confused but yesterday it did not shed as much but the breakage was bad. Maybe the amla does not mix with the others? It has to be the Amla cause all the other stuff I use I've used before.

i've been wondering about that (shedding) from amla powder

i did not like the ingredients in the oil

LovelyNaps26

i never had problems with amla oil. esp. because i too use it as a prepoo it isn't something that is staying in my hair. i'd recommend doing a light protein (or heavy protein if you're not sensitive) treatment to your hair. that may nip the breaking in the bud. sometimes your hair can be too moisturized making is "mushy" and prone to breakage. i had to up my protein game as i've been all about moisture when in fact the light protein in some conditioners just won't do the trick (i.e. lustrasilk, ors replenshing pack). maybe aphogee 2 minute or motions cpr would help. i doubt its the amla oil.

Kinkyhairlady

i never had problems with amla oil. esp. because i too use it as a prepoo it isn't something that is staying in my hair. i'd recommend doing a light protein (or heavy protein if you're not sensitive) treatment to your hair. that may nip the breaking in the bud. sometimes your hair can be too moisturized making is "mushy" and prone to breakage. i had to up my protein game as i've been all about moisture when in fact the light protein in some conditioners just won't do the trick (i.e. lustrasilk, ors replenshing pack). maybe aphogee 2 minute or motions cpr would help. i doubt its the amla oil.

When I get home tonight I will clarify to get the Amla out cause my hair smells like it still even if I washed it. I will then do the Nexxus Emergencee and moisturize. I guess I will just toss the Amla, I wish I had not purchased 3 bottles. I think it must be the Amla cause I have not used anything else on my hair that is really new. I am so upset about this because I have several patches of short hair all over my head, I just discovered 2 more, wtf!

Your Cheeziness

I've not had any problems with Amla oil (even having mineral oil in it). I don't see an oil causing that severe breakage. What is your styling routine like? What tools do you use? How do you protect your hair? Could it be your braids that cause the problem? By your name, I'm going to assume you're natural. Are you taking care of your hair while in braids?

Kinkyhairlady

I've not had any problems with Amla oil (even having mineral oil in it). I don't see an oil causing that severe breakage. What is your styling routine like? What tools do you use? How do you protect your hair? Could it be your braids that cause the problem? By your name, I'm going to assume you're natural. Are you taking care of your hair while in braids?

I have not been doing much to my hair just wash, condition and twist it for 2 weeks. I never had this issue when I had my hair braided professionally it just started since my hair has been out. I do a light blowdry before I twist that is all.

Kinkyhairlady

Ok the Amla is definately having an effect on my hair! My hair is a dirty brown color and I know for a fact my hair is usually very dark like a 1A and it is looking lighter then a 1B right now, it's ugly. Ugh. This is what i get for trying new things, it is always safer for me to just wear braids cause I manipulate my hair less. smh

Vashti

Amla is supposed to make your hair darker - but not all products work for everyone. Amla makes the hair stronger but maybe you need something more moisturizing? Maybe you have too much protein in your hair products?

EllePixie

Amla is also acidic...so if you use it too often without other moisturizers you may be drying your hair out.

Kinkyhairlady

Amla is supposed to make your hair darker - but not all products work for everyone. Amla makes the hair stronger but maybe you need something more moisturizing? Maybe you have too much protein in your hair products?

Yes that is what I thought but I can see a big difference in my hair color today. I don't see what else would affect the color of my hair except for the Amla. I am going to salon today to cut my hair and do a treatment, I don't care if I have to start all over cause my hair looks awful right now to the point I want to cry.

Kinkyhairlady

So I am at the salon and the stylist is analyzing my hair and she seems to think it is not breakage and that it looks more like something cut those areas. I am careful when taking out my weaves but honestly I don't know now. She said natural hair is strong and does not easily break off without using harsh chemicals. I guess that solves the mystery but I am upset about these patches. I did not even notice until recently. I am getting a trim now I am scared she may take off too much, she said my hair was dry though which is weird cause I did a moisture treatment last night for 15 mins.

Your Cheeziness

So I am at the salon and the stylist is analyzing my hair and she seems to think it is not breakage and that it looks more like something cut those areas. I am careful when taking out my weaves but honestly I don't know now. She said natural hair is strong and does not easily break off without using harsh chemicals. I guess that solves the mystery but I am upset about these patches. I did not even notice until recently. I am getting a trim now I am scared she may take off too much, she said my hair was dry though which is weird cause I did a moisture treatment last night for 15 mins.

I kind of figured it was something mechanical for it to broken off in patches. I am glad you got the issue figured out. Check out youtube videos for different techniques on how people take their weave down to avoid cutting their hair. Best wishes!

virtuenow

I'm studying this thread b/c your pattern of breakage sounds very similar to mine. However, mine started (i believe) around the time I began doing acv rinses (diluted acidic rinses). Oh, and my hair is a lighter brown than it used to be. (I've never colored my hair before). My hair looked like someone took some scissors and cut! I haven't had extensions in 2yrs though....interesting...Do you really think it was the braids??

Last edited:

IslandDiva08

You may also want to look into making your own amla infused oil, it is really easy to make. All you need is the ingredients and the time to do it.

Kinkyhairlady

Just got 3 inches chopped off and flat ironed. I will post pics when I get home. The stylist was nice but she said I need to keep up with the trims every 8 weeks. Umm I don't want to that but how else will I avoid the splits? Overall I like it but I know my hair will be super short when I wet it which sucks.

Your Cheeziness

Just got 3 inches chopped off and flat ironed. I will post pics when I get home. The stylist was nice but she said I need to keep up with the trims every 8 weeks. Umm I don't want to that but how else will I avoid the splits? Overall I like it but I know my hair will be super short when I wet it which sucks.

You do not need to trim every 8 weeks if you take care of your ends.