What causes waxy hair?

bb09

I’m back.. couldn’t sleep!

RE: shampoos. Thank you so much. I just realised I do have a clear shampoo [I can’t believe I forgot about 2 of my shampoos!]. It’s Avalon organics lemon clarifying shampoo, and it’s clear.

RE: the ACV rinse. Why 5x? and should I use it after (any) clarifying shampoo?

Also, what leave-ins do you use? I took my hair out of my pony. I had to fingercomb it a bit, cos it was tangled where I put the hairband. I guess I should have waited for my hair to dry Before taking the hairbands out or something. Anyway, my roots were big, but kind of dry. I kinda liked how putting it into a pony and tying it down with a scarf meant smooth hair. But nope:sad:. I’m still getting knots at the demarcation line. I definitely wouldn’t be able to glide a comb through or anything.

Myjourney2009

Ready to be APL

@bb09
That shampoo sounds okay for now but I highly suggest you get the shampoo I recommended. You know I was just thinking Paul Mitchell 3 is also a chelator and is easy to get, it says clarifyer on the front but the back says it removes metals. Most Drug stores carry it. Its a bit pricey but worth it.

@ the ACV: 5x's top ensure it all has reached every strand. You can do 3 if you like. I would do it before DC'ing to see if it helps if not then nix it. I am just trying to cover all bases.

I use Jessicurl Aloeba daily conditioner as a leave in or I make one in an old bottle:
1/3 cup conditioner (usually whole foods brand) because it is protein and cone free
1/3 cup KKKT
1/3 cup aloe vera juice
1 T oil Ive been using hemp seed oil
enough water to thin it out to my liking

On the day that I wash I use Aphogee provitamin leave in ( I only use this if my hair is difficult to comb after I condition. It provides just enough slip but does not buildup, atleast for me it doesnt. I am in the process of trying to find a cone free leave in spray for after washing.

I very carefully comb my hair after spraying.

Check out my blog for my completer regimen.

Last edited:

Solitude

Kenra Clarifying & Chelating Shampoo is really good. It's at Ulta and it's not too pricey. It smells good and doesn't dry hair out. I'm not sure if it has cones or not.

bb09

Thanks so much. I don't live in the states though.. I'm in England, which is why it's harder to find products that are readily available (for you). I always wanted to try the Kenra shampoo as well Solitude, but we don't have an Ulta

Anyway, thanks so much Myjourney2009. If this isn't even the 'meat and potatoes', then I don't know what is lol.

I've solved the waxy hair problem, thanks to your suggestion (using it straight :) /then following up with my condish). I ordered some blackstrap molasses, and I'm hoping it really strengthens my hair, and I get less shower breakage as a result. I'll have to work on the daily moisture x

Myjourney2009

Ready to be APL
bb09

You're welcome

Be careful with the black strap molasses it can cause mineral buildup over time.
When you use it add about a tsp of avj to it.

bb09

@Myjourney2009 ^^ Gosh, really. Why does it cause mineral buildup though -just curious?

& I don't have any AVJ. Should I just chelate my hair more regularly?

Last edited:

Myjourney2009

Ready to be APL
bb09

molasses has iron which is a mineral. Molasses used too many x's can cause buildup.

I suggest being mindful of how many x's you use it in a month being that you use a no-lye relaxer

Solitude

Thanks so much. I don't live in the states though.. I'm in England, which is why it's harder to find products that are readily available (for you). I always wanted to try the Kenra shampoo as well @Solitude, but we don't have an Ulta

Anyway, thanks so much @Myjourney2009. If this isn't even the 'meat and potatoes', then I don't know what is lol.

I've solved the waxy hair problem, thanks to your suggestion (using it straight :) /then following up with my condish). I ordered some blackstrap molasses, and I'm hoping it really strengthens my hair, and I get less shower breakage as a result. I'll have to work on the daily moisture x

bb09

oh...I didn't realize. Sorry - I was wondering why you had to order from Sally's online.