Rollersetters: Another Way to Use Mesh Rollers (pics)

MJ

I use metal clips to secure mesh rollers instead of plastic pins. I haven't seen any info regarding this method, so I would like to share it with you. I started doing this after multiple failed attemps with the plastic pins. I hope you will find it useful and helpful.

I took Shelly out of storage, clarified her hair, and rollerset it using Trader Joe's Nourish Spa and water

I let her hair airdry and then took the rollers out

These are the pins that I used to secure the rollers

I haven't used this method on my own natural hair as yet, but I use it whenever I rollerset my friend's relaxed hair. I bought the mesh rollers at Sallys and the pins at a local BSS. Sally's mesh rollers are of better quality than the BSS versions.

I've spent alot of time browsing albums and watching Youtube videos on rollersetting. These are two of the many sources that have helped me to learn how to rollerset properly:

LHHA: How to Roller Set Natural Hair

marand313's: Roller setting my natural hair

MizzBrown

I used to have mesh rollers.

Whats the main difference in your set from using mesh rollers vs. magnetic rollers?

The hair doesn't snag at all? Anyone use these rollers w/ a hooded dryer? Is the dry time faster?

When I used them on my hair as a dry rollerset, I would get a fuzzy set.

MJ

I used to have mesh rollers.

Whats the main difference in your set from using mesh rollers vs. magnetic rollers?

The hair doesn't snag at all? Anyone use these rollers w/ a hooded dryer? Is the dry time faster?

When I used them on my hair as a dry rollerset, I would get a fuzzy set.

The hair dries much faster. Sally's mesh rollers have a flexible, but stiff, plastic netting that allows for a smooth set.

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
I am working on mastering roller sets. Hopefully I can use them to cut down on my heat usage!:lachen:

Juliagizzle

This should have been posted for me last month LOL. I had a roller setting disaster :nono: I was using the magnetic rollers and the wrong pins. They did not have the pocket :( I heard the mesh are better for curlier hair.

dcprdiva

Can anyone post any other results using mesh rollers? Thanks for posting - I may try the mesh rollers. I have been using the magentic rollers for years, but I wouldn't mind trying something new.

Did you use setting lotion?

LivingDol1

i always use metal clips to secure my rollers. they're very secure. bobby pins are useless and sometimes those plastic pins hurt!

Honi

There is no board.
Not all wire mesh rollers are created equally. I don’t think Sally’s has the best brand. I have some old rollers from the manufacturer Diane (used to use these back in the 80’s before I discovered magnetics). The coils are more sturdy (not easily squished together) and they don’t have those stupid brushes in them (never understood what the purpose was anyway).

Also, the pink plastic pins are useless. Look for amber colored pins with metal/steel in the center. They are more sturdy and secures the rollers much better than the plastic ones. They are better IMO for when you have a lot of newgrowth and you need a set that can pull it a little taught. The only drawback is that if you set the roller too tight with the pins it can hurt and give you a headache.

It takes practice but those clips seem like a good idea as well.

morehairplease

Not all wire mesh rollers are created equally. I don’t think Sally’s has the best brand. I have some old rollers from the manufacturer Diane (used to use these back in the 80’s before I discovered magnetics). The coils are more sturdy (not easily squished together) and they don’t have those stupid brushes in them (never understood what the purpose was anyway).

Also, the pink plastic pins are useless. Look for amber colored pins with metal/steel in the center. They are more sturdy and secures the rollers much better than the plastic ones. They are better IMO for when you have a lot of newgrowth and you need a set that can pull it a little taught. The only drawback is that if you set the roller too tight with the pins it can hurt and give you a headache.

It takes practice but those clips seem like a good idea as well.
Hey there sweetie,
Where can these be purchased?
tia,
tishee

Desert Skye

:scratchch: It is tempting to go out and buy new packs of rollers. I have been a staunch magnetic roller user since '04, but it takes forever and a day for my hair to dry. With the mesh, it seems a lot more air will be circulating. Hmm...