Wash n' Go: Is it really as simply as IC and Scrunching?

It~Can~Grow

Hello Ladies - I'm trying to develop my summer dos now so I can be prepared (oh, in case you didn't know...I'm a planner...can't do nothing unless I've planned it :drunk:).

I've read a few posts and stalked a few fotiki (sp?) :grin: and they all say "apply Fantasia IC and scrunch...scrunch". Is it really that simple?

Also, just in case it aint...can someone breakdown the secret steps to the perfect wash n' go that will produce pretty waves (like Queen_Ts :yep:)?

Thank you for your help

LunadeMiel

My wash and gos are pretty simple. I cowash, apply some leave in conditioner, then some moisturizer, seal with a little coconut oil and I'm finished. I don't use any gel in my hair.

My products are in my fotki....

Cinda2503

I use plain old conditioner - usually HE because it smells so good. I've been doing this for years. I've never used gel before. Lately though as my texture as changed, i guess as i've gotten older :perplexed, the hair won't hold the scruch like it use too. I think i'll try the gel.:yep:

Ms.Honey

Yeah, it can be for me but it won't define all of my curls. I have to go back with my knockoff Denman brush to define some of them. I suggest using your fave conditioner diluted as a base before applying the IC gel otherwise it'll get crunchy and too stiff.

Sugarhoney

The secret to great wash-n-gos are to shake your head side-to-side in the shower after you rinsed the conditioner out and/or combed the conditioner with your deman brush. Add a leave-in if you rinsed the conditioner out, preferrably the Garnier Frutise curl leave-in is great for the summer. Then add IC gel or spray John Frida Dream curls. Smooth your edges and you are good to go! :yep:

bella gee

I find that my wash-n-gos turn out best when i dont finger comb thru my curls during the co-wash process...neither do i comb thru my hair when i am applying product...

I co-wash, apply leave-in in 4 sections, apply gel in 4 sections(right now im loving Herbal Essences Body Envy), then seal....i scrunch a little but not too much becuase I dont want to contribute to frizz

Eisani

The secret to great wash-n-gos are to shake your head side-to-side in the shower after you rinsed the conditioner out and/or combed the conditioner with your deman brush. Add a leave-in if you rinsed the conditioner out, preferrably the Garnier Frutise curl leave-in is great for the summer. Then add IC gel or spray John Frida Dream curls. Smooth your edges and you are good to go! :yep:

I'm going to try this in the morning. I don't scrunch product into my hair, and I don't use gel on my WnG's. I apply my conditioner and run thru it w/my Denman,flip my hair upside down:drunk: and shake a bit (so wait, I guess I already shake side-to-side :spinning:) to pump back up the volume then go on about my business.

ladylibra

i know i'm just contributing to PJism... but it's trial and error. :look:

scrunching never did a daggone thing for my relaxed/texlaxed hair. shaking and non-manipulation after applying products did. i didn't discover plopping until i went natural so i don't know if that would've helped... i do know that it promotes definition in my natural hair though. co-signing on gel layered over a leave-in... plain gel might make your hair too "crunchy" and a leave-in on its own might not define your hair enough as it dries.

maybe you could experiment on a Saturday if you're not going anywhere? that's what i always do, that way if i dont' like the results i can always re-wash my hair... sad but true... :lachen:

BrockStar

Well...kind of...I cowash then comb through more conditioner to leave in then finger comb ic fantasia through it then I'm out:grin:

BillyJay

My wash-in-gos are only cute when its in a pony,

I comb my hair prior to washing so that theres no tangles. Then I wet my hair and apply conditioner especially at the ends.. I let the conditioner sit for a while then rinse (sloppy rinse). I then wring my hair out with my hands lightly. Afterwards, I add oil and aloe vera gel for hold in the front. I brush my hair unto a pony and go.

caramelcutieinva

IC gel never worked for me.

My hair starts to curl up when I get wet. I co wash first. Then I just try to encourage the curl and limit the frizz. I scrunch in product (usually Garnier leave in, Sunsilk Anti Poof, and moisturizer) while hair is damp. I try not to mess with it while it dries. This step is the hardest for me.

FindingMe

i know i'm just contributing to PJism... but it's trial and error. :look:

scrunching never did a daggone thing for my relaxed/texlaxed hair. shaking and non-manipulation after applying products did. i didn't discover plopping until i went natural so i don't know if that would've helped... i do know that it promotes definition in my natural hair though. co-signing on gel layered over a leave-in... plain gel might make your hair too "crunchy" and a leave-in on its own might not define your hair enough as it dries.

maybe you could experiment on a Saturday if you're not going anywhere? that's what i always do, that way if i dont' like the results i can always re-wash my hair... sad but true... :lachen:

LL, what's plopping?

ETA: ne'ermind. I re-looked at your videos in your FOTKI...

Last edited:

queen_t

Hello Ladies - I'm trying to develop my summer dos now so I can be prepared (oh, in case you didn't know...I'm a planner...can't do nothing unless I've planned it :drunk:).

I've read a few posts and stalked a few fotiki (sp?) :grin: and they all say "apply Fantasia IC and scrunch...scrunch". Is it really that simple?

Also, just in case it aint...can someone breakdown the secret steps to the perfect wash n' go that will produce pretty waves (like Queen_Ts :yep:)?

Thank you for your help

I was like, "Damn, why does that quote sound soooo familiar???" :lachen::lachen:

But yeah, that's all I do--as a bone straight, relaxed head.

I don't comb it out while in the shower. As soon as I get out of the shower, I'll apply a little Lacio and follow with IC.

1. Scoop a sizable amount of gel out and smooth the front (for the waves).

2. Flip your hair over, and repeat Step 1.

3. Hang head to the right & apply gel by scrunching, then do the same on the left side.

4. Try to get the middle with gel, and scrunch.

When you're head is upright again, just let the hair fall naturally (helps create the waves in the front, don't try to style it yet!! Just let it airdry :yep:.

As it dries, continue to scrunch periodically.

I usually pin mine up after a good 2.5 to 3 hrs of airdrying.

It was really all trial and error for me in the beginning. Putting too much gel can make hair look stringy.

Now as a disclaimer, this is what works for my hair type, ok :look:. Please don't try this on hair you've been stretching for 16 wks either, cuz just like me, you'll look like a damn fuzz ball. :yep:

Now go forth and scrunch!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

Afro-Indi

I don't use gel.

After co-washing, I add more conditioner, finger-comb a little bit, throw on a headband and go.

PatTodd

I don't have anything to add about methods right now (mostly because all my notes are in my LHCF journal, which is currently MIA :wallbash:) but I do believe experimentation is the key. I suggest trying out whatever method(s) you choose over a weekend or when you don't have anywhere to go so you can see how it turns out.

Oh, and I don't towel dry my hair, only squeeeeeze to avoid frizz (avoiding frizz is another key for me). Hope that helps.

It~Can~Grow

Ask and you shall receive..

Thanks so much ladies for all your responses...they ALL help.

I hope to create the perfect WnG by eo May.

Rollersets are so pretty, but sooo getting on my nerve as it relates to time consumption :nono: between the sectioning...wrapping each roller w/paper..keeping each sub-section wet..this weekend it took me a little over 2 hours just in the roller setting process alone..yikes!!

So, I need something else, besides twists, that I can wear for my half a day on Sunday.

Thanks, again :yep:

Cinda2503

I'm going to try this in the morning. I don't scrunch product into my hair, and I don't use gel on my WnG's. I apply my conditioner and run thru it w/my Denman,flip my hair upside down:drunk: and shake a bit (so wait, I guess I already shake side-to-side :spinning:) to pump back up the volume then go on about my business.

What does the Denman do for the scrunch? How do you do this? I usually just use my hands?

vangrey

cold rinses have been a hair saver...
seriously...
it helps eliminate my frizz and clumps the curls together
for me, its all about technique
products are just a matter of preference
HTH :)

blazingthru

I basically do this everyday. I wash my hair with the conditioner and detangle. I haven't been doing the detangling lately. Anyway I rinse my hair out and shake it in the water as its rinsing. When I get out the shower I add leave in. NO towels. after I add the leave in I wrap a towel around my head and when I remember I add Olive oil and shake and a headband and go. thats all I do and I been doing this for two years now. I don't even brush it. I think I only brush it when I am going out out. Not to work. I don't care when I go to work it looks cute enough to me. I only use the IC when I am going out out. other then that no I don't use it I just use the leave in. Right now this leave is really good. Cream of Natural in the orange bottle I love how soft it keeps my hair all day and the good thing is I can wear this afro puff for three days. I just spritz it in the am and scrunch and go after three days it itches and I can't take so I will wash. Ovaitions has made my hair thicker so its laying right no matter what I been doing its looking good.

septemberbaby

I don't get it. Most of the responses in this thread are from naturals.

What about relaxed heads? Do you still use a denman? IC gel? Leave the conditioner in? I'm sooooooooooo lost. :spinning:

Iansan

I don't get it. Most of the responses in this thread are from naturals.

What about relaxed heads? Do you still use a denman? IC gel? Leave the conditioner in? I'm sooooooooooo lost. :spinning:

I'm relaxed. I use a leave in and scrunch, no denman. If I am going to diffuse I use serum too, if I airdry I can skip it. Sometimes I use gel for a wet look and extra hold, but I can get a good wave/curl pattern without it.

Forever in Bloom

I know I'm gonna become known as the Youtube girl, 'cause my answers to questions usually include me directing people towards a video I saw. I took this girls advice, 'cause I'm natural and my hair is so curly right now. It only took me a total of 15 minutes to do. It looks so cute! You can skip to the part where she actually starts doing the gel application/Denman brushing (around 5:40)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dN2nrmau9Y4&feature=related

LongHairDreams

I know I'm gonna become known as the Youtube girl, 'cause my answers to questions usually include me directing people towards a video I saw. I took this girls advice, 'cause I'm natural and my hair is so curly right now. It only took me a total of 15 minutes to do. It looks so cute! You can skip to the part where she actually starts doing the gel application/Denman brushing (around 5:40)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dN2nrmau9Y4&feature=related

Well thank you YouTube girl. I appreciate video's. Im a visual person and they really help.

TrendySocialite

I wonder if I can do this on my hair and 5 weeks post? I know my hair was too short for a braidout, but I've done this before.

I did this once when I was about 12 after a day of swimming. My then stylist (well, she really wasn't a stylist, just a 'tician), told me to put curl activator in it...it worked, but i had a horrible time detangling.

I may try this method....

oooop2

Thanks for posting this. I normally end up w/ a shrunken afro whenever I try to wash and go. But now I realize, I wasn't doing the technique quite right. Will try again tomorrow.