For everybody that press hair question

i was wondering for everybody that press hair i have a question, how do you get the salon straight look, ive been pressing my hair for years and i still havent gotten the straight look i want. my hair is really thick and when i press it. my hair still looks like a puff and still to thick. i u se blue magic to press with.does anyone know of any products that will help me achieve the salon straight look

Eyvonne7131

Hi Californiabeauty...well I do not press my hair but my mom does hers and has for many years...first I would say that perhaps you need to use a pressing oil(is the blue magic you are using the regular grease or pressing oil) I know soft sheen and pro-line make pressing oils...you may want to check out http://www.havanbeautysupply.com they have alot of ethnic products and perhaps you could find a good oil there.

My mom always says that when you press n curl it reverts fast...how long does your press last. I would try pressing my hair and maybe wrapping it up like a wrap at night...maybe that will give you some added straigtening because with a relaxer the wrap style really helps your hair stay straight. I hope this helps!!! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Lucia

hi, welcome
I use frizz eaze #3 x-tra strength for blow out, then use a light spray sheen like organic root stimulator olive oil, or mizani, dark and lovely to flat iron. you've got ot partially straighten it out with the brush when mostly dry.
hth

CICI24

I had the same problem and what helped me is Lustrasilk hair culture solution spray. I just wash, condition braid it to let it air dry with just the spray do not add oils. After its dry press your hair in small sections with a flat iron. add oils after pressing it if you need to but you probably will like it better without.

L

legs71

Californiabeauty,

When my mother presses my hair she uses Apex pressing oil. It straightens my hair very well and it's water repellent. What I like about it is by the 2nd day my hair feels and looks relaxed.

hairfanatic

Hi CaliforniaBeauty,

My hair is very thick also, but I have finally mastered getting it straight to look like I have a relaxer. See picture http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/hairfanatic0072000/lst?.dir=/My+Photos&.view=t
The best thing I have done is stop using a pressing comb because it made my ends split really bad. I use Revlon's Perfect Telfon 1 1/2 inch Curling Iron. It's gold and white and only $12.00 with 20 heat settings.

I also use KMS Flat Out, a smooting balm. But...be careful with this because it has cones in it and over time, it will build up on your hair and leave a gray cast over your hair. You will eventually have to use a clarifying shampoo.

Also, Dudley's Pressing Cream about $8.00. At first, I didn't like it because I used too much and my skin broke out but the second time I used smaller doses on each section and it worked great.

Mahalialee4

Your hair looks thick, black, beautiful and healthy...strong looking from that picture. It looks like you have very thick strands. If so you are really blessed.When it gets bra length, LOOKOUT! You are going to turn some heads, lady. Do you have family members with bra strap length and longer? Bonjour.

hairfanatic

Hi Mahalialee4,

Thank you for the compliment. My hair was bra strap length over the summer and I had a bad bout with the braids (it chewed my hair something terrible, my hair was lifeless). I cut 3 inches. Then I cut two more, so I ended up back at shoulder length again. Yes, my hair is too thick. I have to press my hair in very small sections, but the curling iron is really starting to do a good job along with the products.

My Aunt has waist length hair. My mother does her hair by washing with Prell shampoo every 10 days, conditioning with Queen Helene Cholesteral Conditioner and then she blow dries and presses my aunt hair. If I was in Chicago, my mom would be doing my hair also but since I am in Texas I have to do it myself. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

My mother has the most beautiful hair I have ever seen. It's like baby hair really curly but she hates it. Her hair is down her back and she really doesn't do anything special. She always use to tell me that my hair works better with the caucasion shampoos oppose to the black hair care products. She said Jerimack worked wonders on my hair (still trying to find it).

L.A. Woman

Using the tips from www.pressinghair.com, I make sure to get the comb to the right temperature, test it on a cloth before putting it on my hair, with my hair already detangled and sectioned in thin horizontal rows, I press a tiny dab of Dudley's Creme Press using my thumb and forefinger on each section. Then I put the comb in at the scalp holding the section of hair taut in my left hand and straighten it.

It's working so far, it's just a pain in the a#* sectioning, heating the comb, pressing. Over and over until I'm finished. It is labor intensive but it comes out nice. The pressing creme you use makes a difference I think. A friend told me about a brand she forgot the name of -- described as being blue in a clear jar with a white top. I'm looking out for it but I haven't found it yet. Supposedly it had her hair looking like silk when she was through.

Good luck!

babyblue

First get rid of the blue magic and get a grease specifically made for pressing like ultrasheen creme satin press, dudleys or just for me pressing cream i like ultrasheen better though. do you press your own hair or does somebody else? have somebody help you for better results. Also important after washing/cond add pressing oil while hair is still damp then dry hair thoroughly and press. This way the hair absorbs the oil better and you use less. I find this affects my results greatly. good luck!

Faith

/images/graemlins/shocked.gif hairfanatic I thought your hair was relaxed. I never realized it was pressed. You do a great job.

hairfanatic

Hi Faith,

Thank you. I have been natural since May 2000, I had to have many trial and error sessions before I finally found the products and tools that really straighten my hair to look relaxed. It is a difficult job sometimes because I have very thick hair. There have been some days where I would be too tired to press my hair and my husband would be like "Macy Gray, what's up with your hair" /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Jaquai

hello california beauty,
instead of pressing maybe you could try what Lucia suggested: blowdrying it out first then flatironing it.(or pressing it ) That is how i straigten mine's and its alot easier then pressing. But a good oil to use for pressing/flatironing is wildgrowth oil. this stuff makes the hair really soft, straight and shiny. you can find it at Sally beauty supply.
now i usually use aveda universal styling cream to straighten with. it is really good but expensive about $15 for 8oz. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

SVT

I make sure I take my time and iron small sections. If I make a section too thick, the heat isn't dispersed well and I end up with with a crinkly press. That irritates me because it means I wasted my time and I have go over that section again. *more heat*

Faith

Hey hairfanatic,
I'm sure you have mentioned this before but I can't recall...what appliance do you use to straighten your hair? Thanks /images/graemlins/smile.gif