Does brushing/combing wet hair cause split ends?

Does brushing/combing wet hair cause spilt ends?

• Yes, I NEVER comb/brush wet hair.

Votes: 7 7.5%
  • No, I ONLY comb/brush wet hair.

Votes: 27 29.0%
  • I only BRUSH my hair gently.

Votes: 16 17.2%
  • I only COMB my hair gently.

Votes: 53 57.0%
  • Ummm...doesn't concern my beautiful head, since I don't comb/brush.

Votes: 4 4.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Nonie

brushes *cringe*

Brushes just conjur up images of people just yanking through (oh, it's not a memory - that's the only way I've seen people use a brush) tangles, hearing the hair tear and break. *shudder*

I use a medium width comb while wet/post shower and when I have enough hair for a bun; I'll use a fine toothed comb to slick my edges, but other than that - no manipulation.

I cant imagine a time when I will use a brush!

You and I are on the same page. I don't understand how a brush is supposed to be "safer" than a comb. To me brushes just rip at hair strands. While I haven't really looked into it, I suspect mid-strand splits are caused by brushing.

Although I've got an aversion to brushes, I do use brushes to tidy up my hairline and kitchen and "comb" short hairs that stick out of cornrows. A brush can turn this messy "peppercorn" hairline and messy cornrows:

...to this:

Or this scary kitchen:

...to this:

But those are the only places you will see me using a brush; never on the rest of my hair. I only use a comb if I must use a hair grooming tool.

Fine 4s

I've never tested this. But, although I don't use heat often, I still have splits. In fact had splits when I wasn't using heat at all. Someone from this forum mentioned that the Denman brush gave her splits so I cut down on how much I used the D brush.
The verdict is still pending.