Low Porosity Support Thread

mamaore

i used to use it on damp or dry hair but i was natural at the time. now i only use liquid moisturizers. the Taliah Waajid Mist Bodifier is really good and doesn't have cones, mineral oil, or parabens. i water it down with distilled water to use on my relaxed hair and to make it spray out more like a mist. it is kind of a thick liquid. the moisturize i use now has the bad stuff in it, but it dries quickly, so i can use it on straight styles without dampening my hair. but i use TW when i am in the house and don't care. really good for natural hair and new growth.

shortdub78 whats your mix ratio for the Taliah Waajid Mist Bodifier. I mixed mine 50:50 and its still feels kind of sticky. I applied it this morning :perplexed and I really cant say it did anything

Ogoma

For those that complained about tangling when washing: here is a paragraph from an article posted in another thread I thought might be interesting.

Again, when hydrogen bonding is disrupted, your hair losses some structure. Don’t be alarmed because every time you shower, shampoo or go into a high humidity climate, you are disrupting hydrogen bonding in your hair. When you wet your hair, you are breaking hydrogen bonding. Your hair looses structure and becomes elongated. During the drying process, water evaporates and the hydrogen bonds reform. Your hair’s natural structure is reformed and the hair elongation is reduced so it goes back to its natural state. This is called shrinkage. Also, during the elongation process, the hair becomes swollen and the cuticle raises, which causes tangling. Hint, this is why your hair gets tangled when you wash it.

I wonder how this tidbit relates to the tangling issue.

faithVA

For those that complained about tangling when washing: here is a paragraph from an article posted in another thread I thought might be interesting.

I wonder how this tidbit relates to the tangling issue.

I think certain formulations causes the cuticle to raise more than others. I think finding things to close the cuticle or smooth them more before trying to detangle is very helpful. I think hydrogen bonding may be strongly affected by the ph of a product which I think was mentioned before in this thread.

I cowashed with Yes to Carrots last week which has a ph of 6. It was scary. My hair bushed up and it started to tangle. So I started working on shifting the ph of my hair with other conditioners. I eventually calmed everything down.

Ogoma

faithVA said:
I think certain formulations causes the cuticle to raise more than others. I think finding things to close the cuticle or smooth them more before trying to detangle is very helpful. I think hydrogen bonding may be strongly affected by the ph of a product which I think was mentioned before in this thread.

I cowashed with Yes to Carrots last week which has a ph of 6. It was scary. My hair bushed up and it started to tangle. So I started working on shifting the ph of my hair with other conditioners. I eventually calmed everything down.

Great information. I need to start checking the PH of products. My hair has not been right since I used ITDF Organicals DC. I need to find time to steam and to focus on getting my hair back into balance. Perhaps paying attention to PH will help.

blackeyes31626

My girl tashboog sent me a care package so I get to try some new stuff. I finally rinsed out the DC from Saturday :ohwell: And I DCd with the Shea Moisture Yucca conditioner and sat under my heat cap. It didn't feel like anything went I took off the heat cap. Forgot to let my hair cool off before rinsing. Happens when I do my hair too late. But my hair felt pretty good when I rinsed. I put on the Shea Moisture Yucca leave-in and am now sitting under my heat cap for 10 minutes. Will reapply the leave-in.

I will probably apply some sunflower oil to my ends. Not going to put anything else on my hair because I want to see how this product works so need to let my hair dry. Not sure how I'm going to style it. Needs to be something quick.

so, did you like the SM yucca conditioner?
Which heat cap to you have?

faithVA

@[URL="http://www.longhaircareforum.com/member.php?u=20656" said:
blackeyes31626[/URL];16203181]so, did you like the SM yucca conditioner?

The SM Yucca was ok. Don't have anything positive or negative to say about it. I may try it again later after I get through this protein overload period.

I have no idea which heat cap I have :look: I will try to remember to look tonight. I do like it though. I works well with my conditioners. I do have a hot head cap I just purchased. I wanted something cordless so I can move around.

Evolving78

shortdub78 whats your mix ratio for the Taliah Waajid Mist Bodifier. I mixed mine 50:50 and its still feels kind of sticky. I applied it this morning :perplexed and I really cant say it did anything

more like 70:30 more product than water. but i also have another mix that is more water, jojoba oil and product. it is very light and i can use it throughout the day. the thing is to not be able to feel the product on your hair, but for it to absorb. since i am relaxed, i don't want a damp moisturized feel, but more of silky feel, hair is cool to the touch.

faithVA

Ok ladies, since I am low porosity and having such an issue with protein, do you think I should just skip DCing period?

Finding a conditioner without cones, protein, aloe, parabens, coconut oil and shea butter as the first 2 ingredients is a big task. This is just ridiculous :lol:

Evolving78

try the castile soap! but maybe you should give it up for a week to see if you see a difference. just cowash with the Tresemme and use your leave-in or moisturizer.

Blairx0

Might be time to mix. I like bananas for mositure or just honey and olive oil as a dc. Besides AOHSR no store bought has been nearly as good

Ogoma

Ok ladies, since I am low porosity and having such an issue with protein, do you think I should just skip DCing period?

Finding a conditioner without cones, protein, aloe, parabens, coconut oil and shea butter as the first 2 ingredients is a big task. This is just ridiculous :lol:

Good luck :lol:.

With regard to coconut oil, aloe, and shea butter, I think it all depends on the formulation. I really like the Bee Mine DC (contains shea butter & coconut oil) or Curl Rehab (contains shea butter & aloe juice) for super duper moisture. Give them a try.

Evolving78

Good luck :lol:.

With regard to coconut oil, aloe, and shea butter, I think it all depends on the formulation. I really like the Bee Mine DC (contains shea butter & coconut oil) or Curl Rehab (contains shea butter & aloe juice) for super duper moisture. Give them a try.

but she also has protein overload as well. those ingredients will not work will at this point. she needs something that is going to break that protein down.

Ogoma

I need to stop being lazy and go buy that castille soap. My hair is just going haywire on me. It is rough when wet and after initially feeling soft, gets dry before the end of the day. This started happening after I used the ITDF Organicals DC two weekends ago. The Evercreme DC with amodimethicone, I used this weekend, didn't help. I have used a conditioner with amodimethicone before and my hair was fine with it. Urgh! :wallbash:

I think I am going to steam and use my terressentials this evening. I want my hair back to normal tomorrow. I will pre-poo with my last non-staple DC and sticking to staple DC's from now on. No more testing DCs unless I know every single ingredient works for me. :wallbash:.

Ogoma

but she also has protein overload as well. those ingredients will not work will at this point. she needs something that is going to break that protein down.

But what can she use? Even Tresemme Naturals has aloe vera (in moisturizing version) and coconut oil (in smoothing one). I am trying to think of conditioners without these ingredients and coming up blank.

faithVA

I think I will just skip the DC period. I am still going to use the Tresemme. I have looked at commercial conditioners and I haven't found too many natural or not without most of those ingredients in them.

I have tried the Castille soap but I can't get my cuticle closed afterwards. And if I'm not putting a DC on it afterwards I will be in big trouble.

After a few weeks I may try the honey and oil. I will probably skip the banana because I'm not a mixologist. I tried using the baby food instead (gag). :lol: Yeah, have issues.

When I had a twa I think I washed my hair and conditioned with some Pantene something and threw some Sta Sof Fro on it :lol:

Ok - I'm just going to cowash with Tresemme and use it as my leave-in and throw some Sta Sof Fro on it and we will see how it goes.

Evolving78

But what can she use? Even Tresemme Naturals has aloe vera (in moisturizing version) and coconut oil (in smoothing one). I am trying to think of conditioners without these ingredients and coming up blank.

but it doesn't have any protein in it. how far down on the list on those things on?

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay

faithVA, do you protein overload with any protein regardless if it is designed to be for moisture or strength?

Evolving78

I think I will just skip the DC period. I am still going to use the Tresemme. I have looked at commercial conditioners and I haven't found too many natural or not without most of those ingredients in them.

I have tried the Castille soap but I can't get my cuticle closed afterwards. And if I'm not putting a DC on it afterwards I will be in big trouble.

After a few weeks I may try the honey and oil. I will probably skip the banana because I'm not a mixologist. I tried using the baby food instead (gag). :lol: Yeah, have issues.

When I had a twa I think I washed my hair and conditioned with some Pantene something and threw some Sta Sof Fro on it :lol:

Ok - I'm just going to cowash with Tresemme and use it as my leave-in and throw some Sta Sof Fro on it and we will see how it goes.

just mix 4 or 5 drops in your conditioner. don't use it straight on your hair. just a few drops and mix it in a cup!

faithVA

[USER=201322 said:
divachyk[/USER];16206899]@faithVA, do you protein overload with any protein regardless if it is designed to be for moisture or strength?

I honestly don't know. My hair has been hard, brittle and breaking since I started my journey here in August 2009. I've not known my hair to be any other way. So I am honestly just guessing I have protein overload because I can't think of anything else it can be.

My hair doesn't ever feel different. It just breaks a lot or it just breaks a LOT :perplexed:

blackeyes31626

My hair was smh
I was desperate so I bought some GF 3Nutrition tmt and pure clean shampoo.
I shampooed, deep conditioned o/n, applied the Dew as a leave in and sealed with olive oil.
This morning I spritzed it w/ some juice. It's still soft and looks wayyy better than before. so...

Wow, so the Castille soap really does open your cuticle, huh? Now I really gotta get some.
What did you use to close your cuticle? cold water? vinegar?

faithVA

My hair was smh
I was desperate so I bought some GF 3Nutrition tmt and pure clean shampoo.
I shampooed, deep conditioned o/n, applied the Dew as a leave in and sealed with olive oil.
This morning I spritzed it w/ some juice. It's still soft and looks wayyy better than before. so...

Wow, so the Castille soap really does open your cuticle, huh? Now I really gotta get some.
What did you use to close your cuticle? cold water? vinegar?

I didn't get them to close. My hair just stayed bushy :nono:

Yes to Carrots does the same thing. I just kept cowashing with Tresemme and then put on my heat cap. It eventually smoothed it out a bit.

I guess if you just put a few drops in the conditioner it might not be so bad. I haven't tried it like that yet.

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
I honestly don't know. My hair has been hard, brittle and breaking since I started my journey here in August 2009. I've not known my hair to be any other way. So I am honestly just guessing I have protein overload because I can't think of anything else it can be.

My hair doesn't ever feel different. It just breaks a lot or it just breaks a LOT :perplexed:
faithVA are you saying your hair was soft prior to? If so, what were you using/doing then vs. now?

faithVA

@faithVA are you saying your hair was soft prior to? If so, what were you using/doing then vs. now?

When I had a twa I washed my hair with whatever was under the sink. Probably some Pantene something. I guess I conditioned. I don't remember. I doubt if I DCd and I threw some sta sof fro on it. My hair of course was short and didn't tangle or dry out.

I tried to adjust as my hair grew out. But obviously I wasn't successful.

Im back to the Sta Sof Fro. I guess I will try to make it simpler: cowashing and a leave-in and throw the Sta Sof Fro on to soften it up.

blackeyes31626

The SM Yucca was ok. Don't have anything positive or negative to say about it. I may try it again later after I get through this protein overload period.

I have no idea which heat cap I have :look: I will try to remember to look tonight. I do like it though. I works well with my conditioners. I do have a hot head cap I just purchased. I wanted something cordless so I can move around.

Do you think it was b/c of the vegetable protein?
Did you like it better than the Dew?

faithVA

Do you think it was b/c of the vegetable protein?
Did you like it better than the Dew?

No to be honest, out of all of the many products I have tried, there probably aren't more than 5 or so products that I have liked.

1. Terressentials Left Coast Lemon Mudwash
2. Taliah Waajid Herbal Conditioner
3. KCCC - sometimes
4. AO White Camellia/ AO Blue Chamomile
5. Sunflower oil
6. Sta Sof Fro

Everything else either is terrible or I don't notice anything. So it would be hard to blame it on the protein when my hair seems to be really funny about what it likes.

I'm not sure what the Dew is?

faithVA

[USER=20656 said:
blackeyes31626[/USER];16203181]so, did you like the SM yucca conditioner?

I forgot you asked me what heat cap I have. I have the gold and hot. I guess I've had it for 2 years. I still like it.

blackeyes31626

No to be honest, out of all of the many products I have tried, there probably aren't more than 5 or so products that I have liked.

1. Terressentials Left Coast Lemon Mudwash
2. Taliah Waajid Herbal Conditioner
3. KCCC - sometimes
4. AO White Camellia/ AO Blue Chamomile
5. Sunflower oil
6. Sta Sof Fro

Everything else either is terrible or I don't notice anything. So it would be hard to blame it on the protein when my hair seems to be really funny about what it likes.

I'm not sure what the Dew is?

Oyin hair dew

McQuay30

My hair didnt like the Dew or Honeyhemp,i was so hopeful that it may and smooth,moisturized ends. Like the gregg juice, pending burnt sugar pomade.

faithVA

I have never found a moisturizer or leave-in that my hair liked. But I think that has less to do with the product and more to do with my needing to get more water into my hair during the washing and conditioning process. I think getting more water in early, the moisturizers and leave ins can do what they were intended to do with my hair. Otherwise I am just asking too much of them.