Protective styling for nape length hair

septemberbaby

So after reading the "Hair Pet Peeves" thread about nape length hair w/dry ends rubbing on cotton shirts. :eek: (that's me)

This may attribute to my dry ends so I come to you for help:

I have nape length hair and it's too short to bun/ponytail, etc. For three weeks now I've been shampooing, dc-ing, airdrying and moisturizing 2-3 times a day faithfully. No bumping with a curling iron, no flat ironing or wrapping, etc. My hair has no style and I'm starting to feel frumpy and unattractive. :(

How do I protective style my hair until it's long enough to do bun/ponytail protective styles?

I love roller sets but I'm worried about breakage when combing wet hair.

glamazon386

If your hair is to your nape, you should be able to get it in a bun or phony pony. You just might have to move your bun up a bit. My hair is only about ear length and I can get it pulled back.

Junonia

I've noticed my hair is broken off in my nape area (again). I realize it is from my coats, scarves, and collars. I wear a satin scarf under my hat however, I can't sit at work with a satin scarf on my head to protect against my collars. Even with protective styling the nape is rubbing on my collar. My hair is at APL and I am not cutting my hair to even with that area(I've tried several times and it's only a temp fix). I trimmed that nape area even and I think I am going to corn row my hair for the remainder of the winter months.

Misseyl

It's funny that we always attribute short nape hairs to collars but how many hairs have you ever found on the collar of your coat, shirt or turtleneck???. I really attribute breakage in the nape area to overlapping. I remember when the left side of my nape was severely damaged, I asked the beautician about it and she said it was my collar but my nape was only breaking on one side, so it couldn't be the collar because it would have also affected the right side.

IMO, I believe most nape hair breaks because of overlapping/relaxer damage. We need to make certain that beauticians are not overlapping, that they are neutralizing that area properly, that they put the relaxer on nape/edges last and finally clean off the wash basin before/after each client. My nape area has been growing back since I’ve taken the health of my hair in my own hands.

SohoHair

shakira74 said:
So after reading the "Hair Pet Peeves" thread about nape length hair w/dry ends rubbing on cotton shirts. :eek: (that's me)

This may attribute to my dry ends so I come to you for help:

I have nape length hair and it's too short to bun/ponytail, etc. For three weeks now I've been shampooing, dc-ing, airdrying and moisturizing 2-3 times a day faithfully. No bumping with a curling iron, no flat ironing or wrapping, etc. My hair has no style and I'm starting to feel frumpy and unattractive. :(

How do I protective style my hair until it's long enough to do bun/ponytail protective styles?

I love roller sets but I'm worried about breakage when combing wet hair.

Rollersets! That's all I did to grow my hair out from nape length to almost APL. Once it started to get longer or just for a change I would pin the curls up for different looks. Caruso steam rollers are also a great way to get the curly look without any damage. In fact the steam from the rollers is very good for you hair.:yep:

glamazon386

shakira74 said:
Won't that cause tension on the hair at the very bottom and lead to breakage?

Not if you don't do it too tight. My ponytail isn't tight. And I haven't seen any breakage. I just usually make my ponytail at the crown of my head or a little towards the back. Any pieces that are too short to make it in the ponytail get slicked down with the gel. That's no different than people gelling down edges or hair in the nape that isn't as long as the rest of their hair. If I try and put the ponytail at the nape my hair in the front will stick up as it dries at the end of the day because the hair in the very front doesn't reach all the way back to the nape. If it put it in the crown or a little towards the back, it's like it's right in the middle. All my hair meets in the middle since it's all the same length. I'm natural so it's going to take more hair for me to get it pulled back than a relaxed head with hair the same length. Simply because my hair is curled up (plus shrinkage) and not straight. If your hair is relaxed, you shouldn't have a problem getting it in a phony pony or bun. There's people with less hair that do it on this board. I think DSD has a bun tutorial in her fotki.

Last edited: