Daily Devotion, Daily Wisdom

baddison

natural for good
April 4, 2014

Devotional:

For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory that is to be revealed to us. Romans 8:18 (NASB)

Paul knew hardship: take a look at the list of just some of the difficult challenges he had to face in 2 Corinthians 11:22-33. His "present sufferings" make most of our difficulties seem tame by comparison. However, Paul could say confidently that the glory he would have with Christ (cf. Col. 3:1-4) would be so incredible, with blessings so fantastic, that his hardships are minor in comparison. That glory will also be ours! Now isn't that fantastic news.

Prayer:
Holy and Almighty God, you are awesome, glorious, and majestic. I praise you for reaching down and saving me by your grace. Father, most of the time my faith is strong and I feel confident about my future. However, at times my faith can waver when I'm confronted with grave difficulties. Give me courage and boldness, dear God, to face those challenges with the conviction that they are actually minor in comparison to the glory you will share with me when Jesus returns. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
For the word of the cross is foolishness to those who [fn]are perishing, but to us who [fn]are being saved it is the power of God. 1 Corinthians 1:18 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
April 5, 2014

Devotional:

We love, because He first loved us. 1 John 4:19 (NASB)

We love others because God has first loved us. Our Heavenly Father taught us how to love in Jesus. Our Abba Father has given us security and confidence so we can love more fully. Our Holy and Almighty God loved us boldly and sacrificially so we could properly understand and define love. We are not the source of love: God is. We are not the great example of love: God is. We tend to be careful and share our love with only those with whom we want to share it: God's love is expansive and open to all. We love because he first loved us.

Prayer:
Forgive me, Righteous Father, for the times that I have been careful and guarded with my love of your children. Please help me to love others as you have loved me. I ask especially for today, that I might touch someone's life with love that especially needs it whether they respond favorably to that love or not. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:

For it is written, “AS I LIVE, SAYS THE LORD, EVERY KNEE SHALL BOW TO ME,
AND EVERY TONGUE SHALL [fn]GIVE PRAISE TO GOD.” Romans 14:11 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
April 7, 2014

Devotional:
My son, let them not [fn]vanish from your sight; Keep sound wisdom and discretion, So they will be life to your soul And adornment to your neck. Proverbs 3:21-22 (NASB)

God used his wisdom to create the cosmos and all that is in it. Through his discernment, he appointed to each being and to each item its place in his dazzling display of diversity. He has chosen to share that wisdom and discernment with those who reverence him and search for his wisdom. If we will use that wisdom and discernment we will possess the greatest of all jewels and a blessing that will enrich our life.

Prayer:
Father, I know that you will bless me with wisdom if I ask. I am asking for that wisdom, dear Father. I want to live a holy life that is clearly a reflection of your character and in honor of your holiness. Bless me with wisdom and discernment as I face the day-to-day decisions that I must make that impact the lives of others. In Jesus name. Amen.

Wisdom:

Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is [fn]lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, [fn]dwell on these things. Philippians 4:8 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
April 8, 2014

Devotional:

and to know the love of Christ which surpasses knowledge, that you may be filled up to all the fullness of God. Now to Him who is able to do far more abundantly beyond all that we ask or think, according to the power that works within us, Ephesians 3:19-20 (NASB)

"We belong!" That's what the apostle Paul is telling us. We're not outsiders or second class citizens or "Johnny come lately" children of God. Because of grace, we belong! We are part of God's house! The foundation of that house is made up of the apostles and prophets. The cornerstone of that house is Jesus himself. Incredibly, we are also a part of this holy house of God. We belong!

Prayer:
El Shaddai, God of the mountains and LORD God Almighty, the covenant God of Israel, from age to age your steadfast love has blessed your people with your promises, your grace, and your future. Thank you for bringing me into your people by grace through faith in Jesus. Thank you for making me a vital part of your house. Forgive me for the times that I have doubted my importance to your cause and awaken in me the realization that I belong to you, to your people, and to your house. In Jesus' name. Amen.

Wisdom:
[fn]An evil man is ensnared by the transgression of his lips, But the righteous will escape from trouble. Proverbs 12:13 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
April 9, 2014

Devotional:

[fn]I have sent him to you for this very purpose, so that you may know [fn]about us, and that he may comfort your hearts. Ephesians 6:22 (NASB)

As Paul faced the difficulties of imprisonment, he was more concerned about the people in Ephesus than he was about himself. Rather than keeping Tychicus close at hand for his own personal benefit, Paul sent him back to bless the people in Asia Minor. Even in his time of difficulty and danger, Paul was concerned more to bless than he was to be blessed. Isn't that a great example to us today? We so often get upset about our minor inconveniences and ruin our attitude toward everyone around us. Paul's example should convict us and lead us to be a blessing to others regardless of our circumstances.

Prayer:
Father, forgive me for letting my difficulties ruin my attitude. I want to be a blessing to others no matter my personal circumstances. Convict me with your Spirit when I begin to focus too much on myself and my situation. Expand my heart with your grace so that I can use my inconveniences, problems, struggles, and challenges to be opportunities to share and to display your grace. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:

For the whole Law is fulfilled in one word, in the statement,“YOU SHALL LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR AS YOURSELF.” Galatians 5:14 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
April 10, 2014

Devotional:

It is better to be humble in spirit with the lowly Than to divide the spoil with the proud. Proverbs 16:19 (NASB)

What is your source of significance? This proverb challenges us to view the world upside down to the rest of culture. Humility and association with the lowly and oppressed are valued by God. Abusive power and arrogance are not. God didn't just give us this proverb, he sent us his Son to demonstrate it. Now if we can only learn to live it. Ah! But Jesus does give us the opportunity to demonstrate it when he says, Follow me! (cf. John 13)

Prayer:
Father, I do recognize my weakness and vulnerability to temptation, to the lure of my culture's facades, and to the pressure to be like the "popular crowd." Thank you for Jesus, who had power but displayed humility, who had position but identified with the abandoned, forgotten, and rejected. Please use me to be a difference-maker in my world by including those who are left out, forgotten, and disenfranchised. In Jesus name. Amen.

Wisdom:
The one who says he is in the Light and yet hates his brother is in the darkness until now. 1 John 2:9 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
April 11, 2014

Devotional:

So Jesus was saying to those Jews who had believed Him, “If you continue in My word, then you are truly disciples of Mine; and you will know the truth, and the truth will make you free.” John 8:31-32 (NASB)
Truth is not something we know, it is something we live. Jesus reminds us that we must not only know his teaching, but also obey it. However, obedience is one of the proofs of our discipleship and doorway to freedom and truth.

Prayer:
Father, forgive me for taking obedience to your will so lightly. Sometimes your way seems restrictive and hard. However, dear Father, deep in my heart I do genuinely believe that your will is a blessing and not a hindrance. Use me to help others find joy in obeying you, too. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
Jesus *said to him, “Because you have seen Me, have you believed? Blessed are they who did not see, and yet believed.”. John 20:29 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
April 12, 2014

Devotional:

Do not let kindness and truth leave you; Bind them around your neck, Write them on the tablet of your heart. So you will find favor and good [fn]repute In the sight of God and man. Proverbs 3:3-4 (NASB)

Character is measured by the love and faithfulness we genuinely display in our daily lives. These are not simple virtues that we can fake. Merciful love is displayed when we have power over another but choose to treat them with kindness and genuine concern. Faithfulness is being a person of truth -- genuine and trustworthy in word and deed. These virtues need to be a part of our everyday life and permeate our very identity. When they do, others will notice and God will be pleased.

Prayer:
Holy God -- faithful and compassionate, full of mercy and steadfast love -- I praise you for your example of strength and mercy, holiness and compassion, love and faithfulness. Carve this character on my heart as I submit myself to your will and open my life to your Spirit's transformational power. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
A tranquil heart is life to the body, But passion is rottenness to the bones. Proverbs 14:30 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
April 14, 2014

Devotional:

In the same way the Spirit also helps our weakness; for we do not know how to pray as we should, but the Spirit Himself intercedes for us with groanings too deep for words; Romans 8:26 (NASB)

Isn't it incredible! Even in those times that my words are blocked and my heart is heavy, God hears my prayers. It is not because I am articulate, wise, or faithful enough to pray as I should. No, it is because God has graciously placed his Spirit in our hearts to make known what my words cannot capture and my mind cannot verbalize. God hears my groanings, my yearnings, my heartbreaks, and my heart-cries. He knows what I cannot think, but only feel. Through the work of the Holy Spirit, he answers those unuttered prayers with his presence, grace, and power.

Prayer:
Father, I am comforted by the assurance that even if I don't know what to say, you know what I cannot articulate. I trust you to answer my longings as you see fit, for I know that you know what I need far more than I know how to ask for it. In Jesus' name, and with full confidence in the Holy Spirit, I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
“But I say to you, do not resist an evil person; but whoever slaps you on your right cheek, turn the other to him also. Matthew 5:39 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
April 15, 2014

Devotional:

As for you, the anointing which you received from Him abides in you, and you have no need for anyone to teach you; but as His anointing teaches you about all things, and is true and is not a lie, and just as it has taught you, [fn]you abide in Him. 1 John 2:27 (NASB)

When we became Christians, we were not only cleansed by the Holy Spirit, we were also filled with the Holy Spirit. John speaks of this as our anointing. The Spirit helps us hear the truth about Jesus and keeps us from surrendering that truth to false teaching that would diminish either side of Jesus' identity -- Jesus, God with us and God like us. We abide in Jesus when we hold on to both of these incredible truths.

Prayer:
Holy and Righteous Father, thank you for sending Jesus to save me. May I never surrender my sense of wonder or my deep feelings of appreciation for all that Jesus was, is, and will be. Thank you for sending me your Spirit to help me safeguard the truth about your Son and my Savior, in whose name I pray and give you thanks. Amen.

Wisdom:
In the day of prosperity be happy, But in the day of adversity consider— God has made the one as well as the other So that man will not discover anything that will be after him. Ecclesiastes 7:14 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
April 16, 2014

Devotional:

And we know that [fn]God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose. Romans 8:28 (NASB)

Bad stuff happens in life. Satan has a part to play in the bad stuff. Our own sins and their consequences also play a part. The rebellion against God and the spiritual weakness in those we love bring hurtful things into our life. Sometimes, God even disciplines us to awaken us out of lethargy or to correct some sinful problem in our lives. Yet in all these things, we have an incredible promise: If we love God and are seeking to honor his call in our lives, our Father in heaven will work out all of the things going on in our life for our good.

Prayer:
Father, I appreciate your promise to work out all things in my life, both good and bad, for my good. I ask, dear Father, for faith to believe this promise is true during painful and difficult times. I ask for patience, O God, to hang on to my convictions when trying times persist. I believe your promise, dear LORD, and look forward to what you will eventually make of me when you are finished with your work. In Jesus' mighty name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:

Blessed is a man who perseveres under trial; for once he has [fn]been approved, he will receive the crown of life which the Lord has promised to those who love Him. James 1:12 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
April 17, 2014

Devotional:

He who is slow to anger has great understanding, But he who is [fn]quick-tempered exalts folly. Proverbs 14:29 (NASB)

Responding quickly to aggravation, threat, insult, or difficulty suggests strength to many folks today. However, responding hastily out of anger is foolish. This response seldom produces the desired long term effect and nearly always compounds the problems that need to be addressed. Patiently dealing with frustrating and painful situations shows understanding and is nearly always more fruitful in the long run.

Prayer:
Father, I ask for patience and self-control. I know these virtues are part of the fruit of your Spirit's presence in my life, so I ask that the Holy Spirit have more impact on my heart and life. Please give me the understanding and wisdom to keep my mouth shut until I have had an opportunity to pray and think about the issues and people involved involved. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
Therefore, take up the full armor of God, so that you will be able to resist in the evil day, and having done everything, to stand firm. Ephesians 6:13 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
April 18, 2014

Devotional:

AND YOU SHALL LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART, AND WITH ALL YOUR SOUL, AND WITH ALL YOUR MIND, AND WITH ALL YOUR STRENGTH.’ “The second is this, ‘YOU SHALL LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR AS YOURSELF.’ There is no other commandment greater than these.” Mark 12:30-31 (NASB)

Sometimes the most important things are not hard to understand. God wants us to love him with every fiber of our being and to also love those around us. All of his demands on character really boil down to honoring these two great principles that transcend law and bring the character of God to hearts.

Prayer:
Almighty God and Heavenly Father, I love you. I love you for your plan to send your Messiah as a descendant of Abraham and David. I love you for your unfailing love. I love you for listening grace to hear my feeble prayers. I love you for sending Jesus and for starting your church. I love you dear God, in the name of Jesus. Amen.

Wisdom:
Therefore, since we have so great a cloud of witnesses surrounding us, let us also lay aside every encumbrance and the sin which so easily entangles us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, Hebrews 12:1 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
April 19, 2014

Devotional:

Do not envy a man of violence And do not choose any of his ways. For the devious are an abomination to the LORD; But [fn]He is intimate with the upright. Proverbs 3:31-32 (NASB)

God does not like bullies, oppressors, or exploiters. Those who control by intimidation and violence are detestable and an abomination to the LORD. We are not to idolize, praise, or reward those who have risen to power by exploiting others.

Prayer:
Father and Sovereign LORD, please break the power of the oppressors who persecute and abuse your people.

Wisdom:
And I heard a voice from heaven, saying, “Write, ‘Blessed are the dead who die in the Lord from now on!’” “Yes,” says the Spirit, “so that they may rest from their labors, for their deeds follow with them.” Revelation 14:13 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
April 21, 2014

Devotional:
He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High Will abide in the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1 (NASB)

When summer's scorching heat arrives, where will you find your shadow of protection and refreshment? When we place our lives in the care of God Most High, we find that his shadow of protection and refreshment covers us. Even in times of difficulty, we know that he has protected us from the worst of Satan's withering attack and that his presence offers us strength that we may not often see but always can trust.

Prayer:
Give me eyes to see, O LORD, and a heart to believe that you are there when I cannot see any evidence of your presence. Please be my protection in times of attack and my refreshment in times that bring soul-withering despair. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:

“Do not judge so that you will not be judged. “For in the way you judge, you will be judged; and [fn]by your standard of measure, it will be measured to you. Matthew 7:1-2 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
April 22, 2014

Devotional:

I will be glad and exult in You; I will sing praise to Your name, O Most High. Psalm 9:2 (NASB)

When was the last time you made up a song? The last time you made up a song of praise to God? Worried that you can't do it? Don't think it will be good? Don't worry, your only audience is your Abba Father who longs to hear your heart sing regardless of your voice's perfection or your melody's tune. He wants to rejoice and be glad with you. So open your heart and raise your voice to praise your God.
Prayer:
Holy and Merciful God Almighty, I praise you for the sun rising and setting in glorious splendor. I praise you for the gift of grace. I praise you for the miraculous preservation of your people, even though they have repeatedly been under attack. I praise you for sending Jesus, the Son of Abraham and the Son of David, my Messiah and Lord. I praise you for raising him from the dead. I praise you for your promise to send him back for your children. I praise you for your work in my life. I praise, O LORD, and I am glad to be your child. In Jesus' name I offer my praise. Amen.

Wisdom:

[fn]This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; for the anger of man does not achieve the righteousness of God. James 1:19-20 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
April 23, 2014

Devotional:

A Psalm of David. The LORD is my shepherd, I [fn]shall not want. Psalm 23:1 (NASB)

A sheep is only as good as its shepherd. We are incredibly blessed!

Prayer:
O Great Shepherd, carry me like a lamb, tenderly in your arms and close to your heart. My life, my future, and my strength depend upon you. Please help me hear your voice above the confusing distractions around me. Under your care I have no fears. Thank you for being my Shepherd. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
“BLESSED ARE THOSE WHOSE LAWLESS DEEDS HAVE BEEN FORGIVEN, AND WHOSE SINS HAVE BEEN COVERED. Romans 4:7 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
April 24, 2014

Devotional:

For You, O LORD, have made me glad by [fn]what You have done, I will sing for joy at the works of Your hands. Psalm 92:4 (NASB)

Gaze into the heavens on a dark night and see the wonders of the starry hosts. Think of the incredible diversity of earth's wonders. Look at your own life and see the fingerprints of God's work in your own experience (Rom. 8:28). As Jesus said, our Father is working still (John 5:17). Yes, it does make us glad to know that we are not alone in working our own life (Psalm 139; Phil. 2:13). There is a deep-seated joy at knowing that the LORD, Creator of the universe is at work in us and for us. No wonder singing praise is such a natural response for us!

Prayer:
Dear Heavenly Father, I praise you for power and glory revealed in the majesty of your creation. I thank you for your work in transforming and recreating me, as well. Please continue your transforming work in me. Make me what you want me to be. In Jesus' name. Amen.

Wisdom:

The poor man and the oppressor [fn]have this in common: The LORD gives light to the eyes of both. Proverbs 29:13 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
April 25, 2014

Devotional:

Nun. Your word is a lamp to my feet And a light to my path. Psalm 119:105 (NASB)

So often, those of us who have received the blessings of faith and the guidelines of the Word of God don't fully appreciate them. Can you imagine what it is like to try to define ones worth, clarify ones values, and establish ones sense of purpose without a standard of truth? Imagine what it would be like to be lost without a map and without a compass? Remember what it was like to wake up in an unfamiliar place as a child in the pitch black darkness totally disoriented? We don't have to worry about that now, do we? God's Word both Scripture and his Son light our dark paths and show us the way home!

Prayer:
O LORD, my Abba Father, thank you for not leaving me in darkness. Your Word lights my path and your Son, the Light of the World, lights my life. Thank you for not leaving me alone to find my way. In Jesus' name. Amen.

Wisdom:
Therefore, having these promises, beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from all defilement of flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God. 2 Corinthians 7:1 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
April 26, 2014

Devotional:
He makes me lie down in green pastures; He leads me beside [fn]quiet waters. He restores my soul; He guides me in the [fn]paths of righteousness For His name’s sake. Psalm 23:2-3 (NASB)

Some of us won't slow down for anything! Well, almost anything. When we get "too full ourselves" and too caught up in our own plans, the LORD, our Shepherd, slows us down and makes us lie down. Our Shepherd knows we need rest, nourishment, and refreshment and helps us, yes and even sometimes makes us, find "green pastures" and "still waters." He then leads us in the direction of his righteousness and holiness once we are rested and refreshed. Isn't it interesting that God's order for our life is always grace and then glory.
Prayer:
Thank you, dear Father, for slowing down my frantic life and leading me to times of refreshment, rest, and nourishment. I trust that you will lead me to what I need as you mature me to have more and more of your righteous character. Please forgive me for getting too busy to hear your voice and to respond to your grace. In Jesus' name. Amen.

Wisdom:
More than that, I count all things to be loss [fn]in view of the surpassing value of [fn]knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, [fn]for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and count them but rubbish so that I may gain Christ, Philippians 3:8 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
April 28, 2014

Devotional:

For He has satisfied the [fn]thirsty soul, And the hungry soul He has filled with what is good. Psalm 107:9 (NASB)

The Bible cries out with one recurring truth: God quenches the thirst and satisfies the hunger of those who seek him. So often we try to soothe the ache in our soul and fill the emptiness in our heart with what is only a temporary satisfaction that only God's presence can fill. Let's refuse every false satisfaction and seek the LORD!

Prayer:
Forgive me, dear Father, for trying to find the satisfaction for my soul's hunger in what is not truly sustaining. (Confess the area of temptation that most often causes you to stumble in this area — sex, status, possessions, economic security, chemical dependency, abusing food, body identity, etc.) As I seek you, dear LORD, please make your presence known as you satisfy my spiritual thirst and satiate my soul's hunger. In the name of Jesus, my Lord. Amen.

Wisdom:
“Blessed are those who have been persecuted for the sake of righteousness, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. Matthew 5:10 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
April 29, 2014

Devotional:

For the word of God is living and active and sharper than any two-edged sword, and piercing as far as the division of soul and spirit, of both joints and marrow, and able to judge the thoughts and intentions of the heart. Hebrews 4:12 (NASB)

What is the greatest tool to repair the human heart? ...by-pass surgery? ...angioplasty? ...artificial heart? ...transplant? How about the Word of God? You see, while these other techniques can be of great aid to the physical heart of people, God's tool for heart surgery is his Word. This sharp scalpel can reach the soul and spirit as well as being a physical blessing. So how much of your heart are you offering to God, and his powerful heart-healing tool to touch? As you open God's Scripture, as you hear the message of God preached, why not ask for the Holy Spirit's help to help you understand, apply, and put into practice what is being taught? Let's offer our hearts to the Great Physician to do his work in us!

Prayer:
Holy God, I ask that as I open your Scriptures and hear your Word preached and taught, that the Holy Spirit penetrate my heart and convict me of sin, discomfort me in areas where I need growth, and stir me in areas where I need motivation to be more like Jesus, in whose name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:

“And behold, I am coming quickly. Blessed is he who [fn]heeds the words of the prophecy of this book.” Revelation 22:7 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
April 30, 2014

Devotional:

“Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous! Do not tremble or be dismayed, for the LORD your God is with you wherever you go.” Joshua 1:9 (NASB)

While these words were spoken to Joshua when he took over for Moses, they are also applicable to us. Take a moment and read Psalm 139 out loud and see that God's promise to be with us is for all who truly call upon him. Listen to Jesus' words in Matthew 28:18-20, as he promises his disciples to "be with them always, even to the close of the age." Remember God's promise, reiterated from an Old Testament blessing in Hebrews 13:5, "Never will I leave you, never will I desert you!" Let's be strong; our God, our Father, our Shepherd is always near, even if it doesn't seem so. We cannot go anywhere without his presence being near us and in us. We are not alone. We don't have to be afraid. In fact, not even death can separate us from his love (see Romans 8:35-39).

Prayer:
Be near, dear Father, not only in your promise and not only with your presence, but also in my awareness. I need to know you are near when I respond to the incredible opportunities before me. I need to be confident in your help and sustaining love as I face the rigorous challenges in my life. I trust in your unfailing love. In Jesus' name. Amen.

Wisdom:
Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven [fn]you. Ephesians 4:32 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
May 1, 2014

Devotional:

He who walks in integrity walks securely, But he who perverts his ways will be found out. Proverbs 10:9 (NASB)

"Tell the truth the first time and then you won't have to remember what you said." That's a quote attributed to the famous Speaker of the House (U.S.A. House of Representatives) Sam Rayburn. That's basically what God's wisdom is trying to teach us in this passage. Be a person of integrity. Then, when someone finds out your secrets, you can feel secure knowing that you have lived for godliness. However, a perverse and deceitful person has to constantly worry that someone will find him out. There is no security or assurance in crooked paths, only the certainty of getting tripped up and caught. When the secrets of evil that have been whispered in dark places get shouted from the rooftops, those who have lived for the Lord can be secure, knowing that what gets shouted about them is said with the voice of God: "Well done, good and faithful servant!"

Prayer:
Please forgive me, dear God, for those times that I have been secretive and dishonest. Purify me of deceit. Help me speak only what is true and appropriate. Transform my evil secrets, through your holy grace, into a holy character that is the same both in public and private. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:

Come now, you who say, “Today or tomorrow we will go to such and such a city, and spend a year there and engage in business and make a profit.” [fn]Yet you do not know [fn]what your life will be like tomorrow. You are just a vapor that appears for a little while and then vanishes away. [fn]Instead, you ought to say, “If the Lord wills, we will live and also do this or that.” James 4:13-15 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
May 2, 2014

Devotional:

Even so consider yourselves to be dead to sin, but alive to God in Christ Jesus. Therefore do not let sin reign in your mortal body so that you obey its lusts, Romans 6:11-12 (NASB)

If we have been cleansed from perversity, if we have died with Christ in baptism and have been cleansed thoroughly and completely by the Holy Spirit, then let's live for God! Let's resist sin, and our inclination to sin, with all our might, knowing that as we do, the Holy Spirit will empower us to a much greater righteousness than we could ever live on our own. Let's begin each day with a conscious decision to be dead to our sinful past and alive to the goal of the holy character of God!

Prayer:
Loving and Righteous Father, Almighty God, help my heart remain firmly committed to your will and more fully conformed to your holy character and grace. In the name of Jesus, my Savior and my Lord. Amen.

Wisdom:
The glory of young men is their strength, And the [fn]honor of old men is their gray hair. Proverbs 20:29 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
May 3, 2014

Devotional:

For the grace of God has appeared, [fn]bringing salvation to all men, [fn]instructing us to deny ungodliness and worldly desires and to live sensibly, righteously and godly in the present age, Titus 2:11-12 (NASB)

Grace is not about excuses for our sins, but about a deep-seated thanksgiving for pardon and a life-changing commitment to say "No!" to all that is evil, corrupt, and wicked no matter how alluring or how pervasive they may be in our culture.

Prayer:
LORD, God of Jesus, my Abba Father, I praise you for your costly grace and love demonstrated to me in Jesus. Now galvanize my commitment to say "No!" to all those sins that required my Savior's pain and humiliation. Through your Spirit, form in me a righteous lifestyle that is self-controlled and is reflective of your righteousness. In the name of Jesus I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
Act as free men, and [fn]do not use your freedom as a covering for evil, but use it as bondslaves of God. 1 Peter 2:16 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
May 5, 2014

Devotional:

looking for the blessed hope and the appearing of the glory of [fn]our great God and Savior, Christ Jesus, who gave Himself for us to redeem us from every lawless deed, and to purify for Himself a people for His own possession, zealous for good deeds. Titus 2:13-14 (NASB)

We haven't arrived at our destination (cf. Philipppians 3). We are in waiting! Jesus, who offered his own life for our redemption, will gloriously return to take us home. During our time of waiting, let's be eager to do what is right, good, and holy.

Prayer:
Father, make me holy. Holy Spirit, make me eager. Jesus, make me glorious. Do these things for your praise and for the blessing of those who need to know you better. Please forgive me for the times I have settled for mediocrity and stir me to a holy passion to belong to you. In Jesus' name. Amen.

Wisdom:
The LORD is compassionate and gracious, Slow to anger and abounding in lovingkindness. Psalm 103:8 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
May 6, 2014

Devotional:
For sin shall not be master over you, for you are not under law but under grace. Romans 6:14 (NASB)

As we called on Jesus' name in baptism and trusted him to be our Savior, we died to sin. In this death, we die to dying and pass from death to life because of our faith in Jesus and in God's power (John 5:24; Col. 2:12). Our life is joined to Jesus, and his glorious future becomes our own (Col. 3:1-4). We are not under law, but grace. Let's respond to the gift of grace with passion and with zeal to be holy. Let's open ourselves to the transforming work of the Holy Spirit, who changes us to be like Jesus (2 Cor. 3:18). We are grace-children. We are not in bondage to sin, but liberated by grace to be all that God has made us to be — his craftmanship (Eph. 2:1-10). Sin will not be our master!

Prayer:
Purify my heart, dear LORD and Father, and make it new and alive to your grace and dead to the sin that once entangled me. In Jesus' name. Amen.

Wisdom:

Blessed is he who reads and those who hear the words of the prophecy, and [fn]heed the things which are written in it; for the time is near. Revelation 1:3 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
May 7, 2014

Devotional:

What then? Shall we sin because we are not under law but under grace? May it never be! Romans 6:15 (NASB)

This matching verse to Romans 6:1-2, is the great reminder that sin is no longer our master and no longer our choice. We choose to live for God with every fiber of our being and loathe the life of sin that once held us in bondage to death and defeat.

Prayer:
Dear God, my Father... precious Jesus my Lord... Holy Spirit my inner companion and holy fire... stir in me a holy passion to be the person of holy and righteous grace you have created me and redeemed me to be. Amen.

Wisdom:
with all humility and gentleness, with patience, showing tolerance for one another in love, Ephesians 4:2 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
May 8, 2014

Devotional:

How much better it is to get wisdom than gold! And to get understanding is to be chosen above silver. Proverbs 16:16 (NASB)

What are the greatest riches in life? Well surely they are not silver and gold. Of infinitely greater value is wisdom, which helps us understand what is valuable, what is true, what is worthy of our heart, and what is not.

Prayer:
Heavenly Father, God of the Ages and Giver of every good and perfect gift, please bless me with holy and practical wisdom so that I can more fully know how you have blessed me and so that I can be the blessing to others that you want me to be. In Jesus' name. Amen.

Wisdom:
But above all, my brethren, do not swear, either by heaven or by earth or with any other oath; but [fn]your yes is to be yes, and your no, no, so that you may not fall under judgment. James 5:12 (NASB)