Biotin Doesn't Grow Hair Faster...

Brownshugaz

I've been taking Biotin for a few weeks now. Does it have to be taken in conjuction with anything for it to have an effect? My nails have grown faster and stronger.

loonatick

Brownshugaz said:
I've been taking Biotin for a few weeks now. Does it have to be taken in conjuction with anything for it to have an effect? My nails have grown faster and stronger.

Try taking it with b-vitamins or a b complex

SkinnyMocah

I recently had to back down t 5000 mcg instead of 10. I was breaking out like gangbusters, and EVERYWHERE. I just can't drink enough water to keep it at bay so I've stopped taking it till I clear up. My nails are OUT of CONTROL!

SandySea

I researched this topic when I first joined the board a few years ago. Most of the literature that I saw related biotin to hair growth when there is hair loss due to a deficiency of the vitamin. Biotin is a substance that is necessary for many processes within various cells in the body, but I didn't see any evidence that flooding the body with excessive amounts will speed these processes up. If it's water soluble, most of it is excreted anywho.

This said--I take biotin anyway!

LaPetiteCoquette

I have been taking 10,000 mcg consistently for two years now. I haven't noticed a thing in my body except that my nails are harder and grow out longer now. I am very healthy so maybe I would have had to have a deficiency for me to see a difference. I don't notice a difference in hair health, thickness, or growth. Nor did it speed up my slow growing areas. I still take it b/c it helps my nails.

I am now trying a different type of biotin -- topically. I want to see if the J/A/S/O/N biotin shampoos an conditioners make a difference for me. But so far I agree with the OP.

kblc06

Hey SBaker :wave:

Well, from what I'm reading, it doesn't sound like it increases new growth. It sounds like it is repairing those tissues that were damaged (causing the hairloss) therefore allowing the hair to grow back. But I don't see where it would do anything for hair (or undamaged tissue) that is already there . Do you see what I'm saying? Kinda like "If it ain't broke, it won't fix it"

Hmm, I've noticed increased hair growth generally in the first few months of taking it up to an inch month, where as my nails will continue thrive indefinitely. But I think this has more to due with initial biotin deficiency and once no longer deficient, the results aren't as dramatic . One thing that I have found is that both my hair and nails do grow in much stronger

anon123

I could buy that it doesn't increase growth, though I don't know for sure. But it could be that what people are taking as increased growth is actually increased retention. I went to see the dermatologist recently about hair loss, but he said it was mostly breakage. He prescribed some shampoo and told me to take a vitamin with biotin in it. Biotin is supposed to strengthen the hair so it will break less. If hair that was breaking before is now hair that you're keeping, your hair will be getting longer faster even though it's not coming out of your head any faster. Like I said, I don't know this to be the case but it's a possibility.

I don't know if 10 mg. is enough. I'm currently taking 300mg every other day and it seems to be helping with the breakage in the middle of head. And my nails have been growing like crazy.