Reveiw: NYC Salon Experience

free2bme

I was 9.5 weeks since my last relaxer and I have been looking for a good salon below 60th street in Manhattan. A few weeks ago while shopping at Ricky's on 23rd st, I noticed a salon right above it. It was kind of late and they where closed I rang the bell and the owner was nice enough to let me in. The salon was beautiful, very clean, hardwood floors, soft pastel walls and the owner was very nice she gave me a quick tour even tho she was just about to lock up. I also noticed that she was trained by John Atchison a renowned hair dresser in NYC (I think he even trained Marvin).

Impressed by her training and professionalism. I gave her a phone interveiw last week. She told me she adequately bases b/4 relaxing, doesn't overlap, prefers roller setting to conventional heat styling. She uses primarily mizani, affirm and motions relaxers. I was sold.

My appt was for 6pm. I got there on time. My first disappointment was that her assistant did my hair but my disappointment didnt last long she did a good job. I was adequately based and relaxed, no burns /images/graemlins/clap.gif. after neutlizing with shampoo and conditioner, I was deep conditioned with mizani moisturefuse for 20 minutes under a warm dryer.

I was in desperate need of trim (last trim was in Nov.) I has planned on taking of 3/4 to an inch off. she took off about an inch and a half. So now I just above shoulder length. I was an inch below shoulder b/4. But I have no complaints, my hair is so much even now with shape and movement.

After my major trim, she applied Khiels silk groom and setting lotion and roller set me. She is a bad ass roller setter. Ala Dominican tehnique. /images/graemlins/clap.gif When dry she wrapped me and applied a little biosilk serum. I was in the salon for 2.75 hours. I will definately be going back. This blows my Josephs experience out the window. I am so happy I took the chance. They do great hair, use excellent products, they listen, the ambiance is great and relaxing and they are time conscience./images/graemlins/clap.gif /images/graemlins/clap.gif /images/graemlins/clap.gif /images/graemlins/clap.gif /images/graemlins/clap.gif

The name of the salon is Salon Cecelia, the owner is Cecilia and it's located on West 23rd b/w 7th & 8th ave.

Integrity

this looks good. happy for ya. maybe you should post this on the salon review discussion board? /images/graemlins/smile.gif

azul11

wow this is great. for months i have been dying for information about nyc salons that do affirm relaxers with no info. i am glad at least i have found one. how much did it cost? this is really encouraging because it is really hard to find a decent salon nowadays. God bless you all.

Free2beme!!! I'm soooooooooo happy that it went well. My fingers were crossed for you. I'm very impressed with the fact that they used high end products on you and do really good rollarsets. Deep conditioned with moisturefuse?!! /images/graemlins/smile.gif Very nice...

How much was it in total?

Azul, the salon I go to also used Affirm. I believe they charge $70/75 for relaxer touch ups. I only have Marcia do my touch ups as she's a personal friend of mine who I've grown to trust. She's the only person that I've had do consistant good work without ever burning me and they use excellent deep conditioners too. (Some of which are European and I try and prise out of her where they are from /images/graemlins/wink.gif since they work so good). The only thing is that she uses a blowdryer and tongs but the blowing is on a very low setting to remove excess water and she uses the tongs very well too. You may want to ask Tracy for an objective opinion or check back on past pages where she gave a review of this place since she came with me the last time. I've yet to have damaged hair from this. Its a very small salon on 72nd street West.

Free2beMe! Sounds like you've found your new salon?

free2bme

BRH, I am really happy with the service I received, I just a bit disappointed I am above shoulder length but very happy that my hair has some shape to it. She aslo recommended that I get corrective relaxer to tame my underprocessed areas. It's something I've been meaning to do but couldn't find any one I trusted enough to handle such a sensitive task.

Azul, considering her location and she is in the same leauge as the "big dogs", I would say her prices are moderate/comprable. They are definately much cheaper than Joseph's.

A wash & set is $35 ( I think it's a reasonable since she uses very high end products)

A touch up is $50 but that doesn't include styling. With styling it comes to $85. Since I got a cut also my total bill was $105. It's a bit pricey but I think I'll stick to her for now. Harlem just isn't an option for me now. I wish it was, but its too far.

LondonDiva

Free2beme I'm glad you have a good hair dressing experience /images/graemlins/smile.gif We seem to be hearing more of them now than the bad ones

free2bme

Hey LD,

I think we are having pleasant experiences salons now b/c we are now very educated consumers. We have very high standards for excellence and at the first sign of incompetentcy we flee and then come bash them on the board /images/graemlins/swearing.gif after a few bad experiences,I interveiw prospective hairdressers and at the first sign of hair ignorance I won't even give u a chance. Same applies to know-it-all types who usually don't listen to clients.

Luli

Congrats on your experience! Is this a dominican salon? Will be in the area and might check it out next week.

free2bme

No she's not. She's black. I also told her that I am trying to grow out my hair she recomemmded that I take biotin and vit B. More pleasant surprises!! /images/graemlins/smile.gif /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Integrity

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
free2bme said:
I also told her that I am trying to grow out my hair she recomemmded that I take biotin and vit B. More pleasant surprises!! /images/graemlins/smile.gif /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

excellent, she really knows her stuff! at least she didnt tell you to forget about long hair cos you wont make it ( /images/graemlins/mad.gif)

NYCchild

Thanks for posting this. im definately gona go week after next. ive been wanting a good salon near enough to Penn station. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

BTW, what was the name of her assistant?

DazzlingD

Congratulations to you /images/graemlins/clap.gif. What did she use to base you head? That is my biggest upset with my hairdresser. She doesn't base my head at all, and if she does attempt to do it she doesn't do a good job. So the night before my relaxer I have to base my head. But I still end up burning. Hey should I be basing the day of instead of the night before??? I live in LI so to travel to the city to get my hair done is not good for me. Although I do work out here and you did say your appointment was at 6pm /images/graemlins/scratchchin.gif Something I have to consider.

NYCchild

Dazzling, i live on LI too but im gona schedule my appnt. for when i go into tha city. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Integrity

i get /images/graemlins/mad.gif when i hear of relaxers burning in the hands of those who have been trained for the relaxers to be applied properly /images/graemlins/mad.gif that is not on at all!!! and to be burned EVEN after you have been based /images/graemlins/mad.gif

i am stepping if a stylist burns me. it shows they are not applying it properly.

in the long term the relaxer just seeps into your scalp and may cause problems years down the line (scab hair, scalp damage, and who knows, some physiological damage)

each time i come in here its like relaxer burns are almost accepted (or even expected) as part of the relaxer process /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

IAM RANTING BUT GUYS YOU SHOULD NOT BE BURNED DURING RELAXING,AND DONT TAKE BURNS LIGHTLY; LOOK ELSEWHERE IF YOU CAN

DazzlingD

NYCchild I can admitt I am very lazy /images/graemlins/laugh.gif. Just the thought /images/graemlins/think.gif of being in the city longer than I want to be is painful for me. But I guess I just need to suck it up and deal. Hey what part of LI are you from???

Pandora, you are not the only one angry about getting burned /images/graemlins/mad.gif But like you said I guess I have just become so accustomed to getting burned and think its part of the process. I really thought that it was because I was so tender headed. Maybe the next time I am due for a touch-up I will try this shop in the city. But my husband is going to flip when I tell him I need a $105 to get my hair done. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif Just because we are saving to buy a house

Integrity

i know about the tenderheaded thing. most stylists would have you be blamed for the burning, but it is their responsibility that you are not burned. the relaxer should not touch the scalp at all during application. during smoothing is ok and the time may not be long enuff for the burning to start.

i read that the relaxer is to be applied about 0.25 inches away from the scalp, the heat of the scalp will cause it to spread anyway. if this allowance is not made during application the relaxer expands and gets in the scalp even before application has been completed. then you burn. /images/graemlins/mad.gif

many stlists are taught good practices in school but it seems to go out of the window when they get the certificate

NYCchild

Hey i can soo relate to the lazy feeling. if i didnt go into the city at all i probably would not make an appnt. from Rockville Centre but moved out to Bayshore after i got married /images/graemlins/wink.gif

azul11

wow this is good to hear. i have been trying to find a place for so long. i have been hearing a lot of success stories and it made me wonder if i would have one of my own. i'll probably be around the area when i go to rickys so i will check it out.

thanks brh as well. its good to always have options and i trust your word because the lady you recommended for the trim did such a good job i keep raving about it. /images/graemlins/smile.gif God bless you all.

Kitkat

Wow, they are definitely more reasonable than Joseph's. They're much further downtown, which I prefer since I rarely go to the Upper East Side, where Joseph's is located. How nice to hear that you had a great salon experience. I would definitely consider going to her when the time and money are right!

NYCchild

So um... I made an appnt to go on sat'day, i wanna relax (7weeks and cant wait no more) and do a cellophane. will let ya all know how it goes

i hope to God it goes well cause i have absolutely no other reason to go inta tha city.. so it beta be wort da trip!