Naturally Flexible Support Thread

havilland

Magical Mythical Princess
Ladies, when you flat iron/heat stretch are you noticing more splits and breakage? I would like to incorporate a little heat in my regimen, but I am so afraid of heat damage. I just got a hair cut b/c of damage and I don't want another setback. Thanks for all your suggestions.

I can't do much heat. My hair is fine and prone to breakage and damage. I flat iron 5-6 times a year at the most. I am very meticulous about deep conditioning, regular protein treatments, heat protectant and using ceramide containing oils to try to rebuild my strands.

I think if you have coarser/thicker strands you may be able to take more heat more often. But be careful.

havilland

ajargon02

To answer your question. Yes. If I use the flat iron and heat stretch often, I experience fried ends and splits which require more frequent trims.

claud-uk

Back to curls today after three weeks with straight hair. It was so nice having some length to play around with during the holidays.

havilland - daaang, girl, you did it again, workin' those banana clips lol! What products/steps did you use to get your hair to hang down like that, was it like a wng or sth? I need my hair to look professional for interviews this week and I'm thinking banana clips are the way to go. TIA!

havilland

havilland - daaang, girl, you did it again, workin' those banana clips lol! What products/steps did you use to get your hair to hang down like that, was it like a wng or sth? I need my hair to look professional for interviews this week and I'm thinking banana clips are the way to go. TIA!

Thank you. ;)

Deep conditioning loosens the curl first. Then I apply my products while my hair is dripping soaking wet in the shower. Leave in. Gel. Then Secure the hair in a ponytail holder first before the banana clip. once my hair dries a bit (maybe 30 minutes later) I secure the banana clip while the ponytail scrunchie holder is still intact.

Then i Let the hair dry a bit more before I remove the hair from the ponytail holder. I very Gently separate the curls and shake them loose. I don't touch them anymore after that.

If my hair needs a deep condition or is dirty, it won't hang. I def get more hang time after a deep treatment.

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
Ladies, when you flat iron/heat stretch are you noticing more splits and breakage? I would like to incorporate a little heat in my regimen, but I am so afraid of heat damage. I just got a hair cut b/c of damage and I don't want another setback.
Thanks for all your suggestions.

I straighten monthly and I barely see splits. My strands are medium to thick though so I can handle a lot more heat than a fine haired person.

ajargon02

I straighten monthly and I barely see splits. My strands are medium to thick though so I can handle a lot more heat than a fine haired person.

I took a chance and straightened a small section of mt hair. I was very STRAIGHT and soft. I was so worried it wouldn't revert so I promptly sprayed it with water and it fully reverted yay!
So maybe in the future I will straighten it completely.

I haven't finished reading all the posts but does anyone have any tips on the blowout, rollerset method or do you all just do the blowout then falt iron instead of rollersetting it then flat iron it? Of course I will be using a heat protectant, but are there any other tips?

Eta I have fine strands with normal density

havilland

I took a chance and straightened a small section of mt hair. I was very STRAIGHT and soft. I was so worried it wouldn't revert so I promptly sprayed it with water and it fully reverted yay! So maybe in the future I will straighten it completely. I haven't finished reading all the posts but does anyone have any tips on the blowout, rollerset method or do you all just do the blowout then falt iron instead of rollersetting it then flat iron it? Of course I will be using a heat protectant, but are there any other tips? Eta I have fine strands with normal density

Sistaswithrealhair

Reniecetv

On you tube have some great tutorials on flat ironing with blow dry and roller set method.

I blow dry on warm then hot. Let my hair cool off. Then flat iron at 395. I don't have issues with reversion. When I was texlaxed I flat ironed at 370.

havilland

Just mixed up my leave in spritz. I am not playing this year. I am getting waist length.

Filtered water
Aloe gel
Argan oil
Olive oil
Rosemary oil
Peppermint oil

I am committing to the LOC method twice a day. Deep conditioning at least once a week.
Co washing primarily.
6 heat passes for the year.
Dusting only. Hopefully only twice this year. June and December.

What are you Ladies committing to? Any regimen changes or additions you want to share? Length goals? Challenges you want to overcome?

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
I am committing to scalp massages 3 times a week
Overnight prepoos before each blowout with coconut oil
No more permanent dye :sad:
Mn until I get to mbl

havilland

I am committing to scalp massages 3 times a week
Overnight prepoos before each blowout with coconut oil
No more permanent dye :sad:
Mn until I get to mbl

are you using anything with your scalp massage, like oils or growth aide or just fingertips? how long do you massage?

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
are you using anything with your scalp massage, like oils or growth aide or just fingertips? how long do you massage?

I do it for about 5 minutes. I use mn 2% straight from the tube. No need to mix it, because it's oily/creamy enough.

Coilystep

@imperial_acquisitions
I don't plan to straighten any time soon, but I was looking in my InStlye magazine and saw this ad for smooth infusion naturally straight styling creme. It doesn't say how to use it. Has any used this or know how it is used? I'm about do some googling.

Attachments

• image-1995497524.jpg
    image-1995497524.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 32
  • image-3884989288.jpg
    image-3884989288.jpg
    488.8 KB · Views: 30

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
I don't plan to straighten any time soon, but I was looking in my InStlye magazine and saw this ad for smooth infusion naturally straight styling creme. It doesn't say how to use it. Has any used this or know how it is used? I'm about do some googling.
It looks great! I'm off to do some googling :look: Mizani had a similar line and over time my texture went from 4b to 4a to 3c. Now my ends are straight. My roots still grow in 4b, but over time my blowouts loosen the curl. A product like this would make it easy for me to straighten my hair at home. I am totally dependent on (Dominican) salons.

Coilystep

@imperial_acquisitions
Here is what I've found so found on aveda's website progressively straightens curls with every use As you blow-dry your hair, plant-derived fibers help create a locking layer to help hold your hair straight, day after day* Organic cassava root helps form a barrier against intense humidity to help you forget about frizz Straight styling becomes faster and easier *After 5 consecutive applications of naturally straight, hair will stay straight for up to 3 washes. USAGE Towel-dry your hair. Thoroughly apply naturally straight styling creme in sections and blow-dry. Flat-iron if you wish. TIPS FROM TIPPI SHORTER (Aveda Artistic Director, Textured Hair) FOR EXTREME CURL Begin with smooth infusion™ style-prep smoother™ to set the foundation for a beautiful straight style Apply naturally straight one section at a time to ensure a thorough application. Use a brush and blow dryer to straighten hair. You can also flat iron if necessary. If you have very tight curl, you'll love the soft, straight finish you get from flat-ironing hair after blow-drying it.

xu93texas

Check out MoKnowsHair channel on YT.
She has a couple of videos using this product.

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
I had a few broken strands today. I was probably too rough when I detangled. I sprayed some Chi Keratin Mist and put it in a bun. I didn't know what else to do

havilland

I had a few broken strands today. I was probably too rough when I detangled. I sprayed some Chi Keratin Mist and put it in a bun. I didn't know what else to do

Have you ever done a strand test? If not, try a strand test so you can see what your hair needs.

havilland

I flat ironed tonight. Again.... :) I'm addicted to my straight hair. It's so cold out. I don't feel like wearing curls. Plus, all summer I dealt with reversion...I wAnt to enjoy my length for a second.

This is gonna be the last time for at least two months though. I don't want heat damage.

Attachments

• image-2021519294.jpg
    image-2021519294.jpg
    419.8 KB · Views: 59
  • image-2652742607.jpg
    image-2652742607.jpg
    423.7 KB · Views: 60
  • image-3931943622.jpg
    image-3931943622.jpg
    402.1 KB · Views: 73

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
havilland And you better not be dusting or trimming either or we are gonna spank you!!!! I saw you mention that you feel like you have to trim when you straighten. Your ends look good so noooooooo trimming ma'am!

havilland

havilland And you better not be dusting or trimming either or we are gonna spank you!!!! I saw you mention that you feel like you have to trim when you straighten. Your ends look good so noooooooo trimming ma'am!

I was temtpted!...I am not gonna lie! BUT the scissors are at my office. All I have at my house are dull house utility shears. Soooooooo I couldn't. I am DELIVERT! Lol...!

I'm not trimming. I am not. ;)

Napp

Ms. Nobody
Wigs have been helping me with the desire to straighten my hair. I get the straight hair look without all of the effort. Why did it take me so long to try them!? Now i just need to get me a decent curly wig and i might not wear my hair out all year!

havilland

Wigs have been helping me with the desire to straighten my hair. I get the straight hair look without all of the effort. Why did it take me so long to try them!? Now i just need to get me a decent curly wig and i might not wear my hair out all year!

This is what I do when my hair is acting crazy. I just slap a wig on. Best investment ever.

havilland

I'm so happy with this ponytail today. So far no reversion. I tried my flat ironing my edges with no products but silk infusion. (First pic) Then I put hair grease on my edges second day to maintain...(following pics). . So far this has worked well.

Attachments

• image-3809216285.jpg
    image-3809216285.jpg
    468.7 KB · Views: 48
  • image-3054289341.jpg
    image-3054289341.jpg
    426.6 KB · Views: 43
  • image-1696471549.jpg
    image-1696471549.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 36
  • image-490718567.jpg
    image-490718567.jpg
    446.1 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
Does anyone use Alter Ego as a Dc? I have used it several times as a prepoo, but never a Dc. I was wondering if it was ok to use it before I straighten my hair next time.

havilland

Does anyone use Alter Ego as a Dc? I have used it several times as a prepoo, but never a Dc. I was wondering if it was ok to use it before I straighten my hair next time.

I've never used it. I think there is a thread on it somewhere though.