Naturals: how often do you clarify & with what?

virtuenow

Never, it's hair suicide for me. Why do you need to clarify; are you a heavy cone user? I use natural/organic products, so that eliminates the thought of considering something so harsh.

whiteoleander91

stay at your best ♥
I clarify with either Herbal Essences Smooth Collection Shampoo

or Garnier Fructis Pure Clean Shampoo

They are both cone-free, smell great, and leave my hair feeling soft and clean. I clarify once a month/month and a half.

PureSilver

It really depends on the amount of oils i have used or sulphur based products but i try to no less than every 2 weeks. Mostly once per month. I use baking soda to clarify.

kupenda

Ehhh...I dont clarify so much as a I detox. I use shampoo bars with clay. And ibhave Shea Moisture Deep Cleansing shampoo that I only use if my scalp is irritated. Other than that, I dont feel I need to clarify since I dont use products with cones or parabens, etc.

Did you clarify in the past?

Mistycat

I never clarified since I've been natural and im wl. The only that I use to cleanse is shea moisture moisture retention shampoo. Clarifying is a extra step that's unnecessary for me even though I use and enjoy cones in my only dc (joico mr balm)

Last edited:

bajandoc86

Lipstick Lover
I clarify maybe once every 6 weeks or so. I am also a natural/organic/handmade hair products gal...but I still get buildup. I use Dr.Bronners castile soap(diluted).

Ann0804

I clarify once a week or every two weeks at the most. I'm not using all natural products and my hair can't take a lot of oil so if I get heavy handed I need to clarify.

I clarify with ACV or vo5 kiwi lime conditioner. Both work well for me.

Last edited:

CarLiTa

I think I need to clarify because I ip notice a big difference in the softness of my hair after I go to the salon and otherwise. I assume it is because I get my hair washed squeaky clean and then deep conditioned at the salon.

Also, my scalp gets super gunky. Sometimes it's like I have a layer of white sand on my scalp or something. It takes a LOT of effort to get all the gunk off:ohwell:

Holla

I clarify when I notice my conditioner not soaking in to detangle like it usually does. I use VO5 clarifying shampoo.

NappyNelle

Kinky Coily 4A, Fine Strands, WSL
CarLiTa What products do you use?

I clarify/shampoo every 2-4 weeks with Giovanni Tea Tree Tripe Treat. It gets my hair and scalp very clean without drying it out.

myronnie

I clarify every month with VO5 Vanilla Mint Tea shampoo. I don't use cones but I find that I do have to clarify every month to normalize my hair. I always do a protein treatment afterwards.

lovelycurls

I clarify once a month or before henna treatments with
eluence volume clarifying shampoo or
dr woods castile soaps mixed with green tea
I detox once in 3months with rhausoul clay
Been trying to reduce cones in my regime, will be clarifying maybe once in every other months.

Last edited:

Ogoma

I don't use a clarifying shampoo, but will use a non-harsh sulfate based shampoo 1x a month. I am loving Lush Fair Trade Honey Shampoo. I used to use Ulta 3-in-1 Shower Smoothie before I started using the Lush.

Priss Pot

Makeup + Bench Pressing
Because I have very hard water, I clarify every couple of weeks. Back in the south I rarely had to clarify because the water was soft. When I moved out here, I developed breakage galore, and my hair had become stiff and always dry. When I realized my issues were caused by hard water, I bought a bottle of Suave clarifying shampoo and it was like night and day. My hair was finally back to normal. Through research, I've found that any clarifying shampoo I use has to have the EDTA ingredient in it to remove mineral deposits.

Last edited:

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
Got hard water here and in winter I have to heavy seal. I chelate AND clarify 1-2x a month depending on need.

AO Swimmers shampoo diluted. It chelates and clarifies in one step. About 2 tsp per 16oz cup of water. Fully strength of any shampoo is a disaster

AJellyCake

I haven't clarified in a while, and now I don't know that my hair needs it (I was doing it once a month). I'm cone/sulfate-free.

I mixed the Aztec Secret Bentonite Clay with Greek yogurt and random oils so it was a thinnish consistency and applied it on my scalp and hair (keep plastic over it so it doesn't harden). That was easy. My hair felt clean but not stripped at all.

I also like the Kinky Curly Come Clean Poo.

CarLiTa

CarLiTa What products do you use?

I clarify/shampoo every 2-4 weeks with Giovanni Tea Tree Tripe Treat. It gets my hair and scalp very clean without drying it out.

NappyNelle,

I'd been using black soap body wash as shampoo, yes to carrots and some other natural jojoba conditioner. I use knot today as leave in, and various homemade butters as moisturizers.
I seem to have serious problem getting my scalp super clean. Could be my deep conditioning technique that is the problem, not sure.

Thanks for all these ideas, everyone. I'm putting together a product list for my new regimen because I think this is what's keeping my hair at this length.

temfash

Because I have very hard water, I clarify every couple of weeks. Back in the south I rarely had to clarify because the water was soft. When I moved out here, I developed breakage galore, and my hair had become stiff and always dry. When I realized my issues were caused by hard water, I bought a bottle of Suave clarifying shampoo and it was like night and day. My hair was finally back to normal. Through research, I've found that any clarifying shampoo I use has to have the EDTA ingredient in it to remove mineral deposits.

Yep, I have to clarify regularly the London water is no joke LOL, I use the ORS aloe shampoo.

menina

Believing the book of Revelations
ORS aloe shampoo is my clarifying shampoo. I don't clarify once a month like I use to, more like whenever my hair feels buildup.

*Frisky*

I clarified about 2 weeks ago after having gone over year. I used Suave. I liked how my hair performed afterwards. I think I am going to do it at least every 3 months. I don't use cones but I still felt as though my hair and scalp had build up. I am not totally convinced that all hair product ingredients that aren't cones get rinsed out with just water.

Fine 4s

CarLiTa ;18775913]I think I need to clarify because I ip notice a big difference in the softness of my hair after I go to the salon and otherwise. I assume it is because I get my hair washed squeaky clean and then deep conditioned at the salon.

Also, my scalp gets super gunky. Sometimes it's like I have a layer of white sand on my scalp or something. It takes a LOT of effort to get all the gunk off:ohwell:[/QUOTE]

A virtuenow mentioned upthread, if you're not using products that leave residue/buildup on the hair or do not rinse off with water or regular shampoo, you don't NEED to clarify regularly. Clarifying is mainly for your strands and not scalp. So if you want something specifically for your scalp, get Nioxxin or some other scalp targeting poo. You can also leave nettle tea on the scalp as part of a pre-poo and scratch the scalp (the proper way) before washing. Finish off with some cool water. Finishing with cool water helps the hair but also you can FEEL the water on the scalp confirming that water is reaching all the way through the hair and rinsing properly. Some folks use ACV for scalp issues too.

However, I clarify before I apply heat and when I use any product, whether it has cones or not, that is not home made or with natural ingredients only (includes repeated use of gel.)

Do you know if the salon used a clarifying 'poo or a regular 'poo? Maybe you just need to use poo every now and then.

CarLiTa

Fine 4s, what is the proper way to scratch the scalp? With finger pads, right? I tend to scratch with my fingertips if I'm aiming for the gunk. I have a sweaty scalp, which is probably a big culprit.