TWA Support Thread

prettybyrd

DarkJoy, I am a believer! My office mate and I cut our hair days apart (I cut on Wednesday and she on a Sat.). After one month my hair was one inch longer and hers was only a half inch longer. Now, I know everyone grows at different rates, but it continued to happen. I tried this only hair when it was longer and did not notice such a dramatic result, and now I know that I can attribute that to the fact that I was not retaining my length. The hair was growing, I was breaking it off faster than it grew.

faithVA, you don't have to baggy overnight, that can be a bit much for some. On days when I don't leave the house (lazy Saturdays or Sundays) I get up, put my baggy on, cover it with a pretty scarf (or not) :) and then I would take it off for bed. Also, try baggying after work until bed time. You just want to create that "greenhouse" environment for your hair for a few hours. I didn't always sleep in the baggy, and I didn't do it everyday.

faithVA

Hi Ladies!!

B.C: Yesterday! 8/7/12

Hair Type: 4a (I think)

Reggie: Cowash with Everyday Shea 2x per week, Deep Conditioner Biolage 1x per week, Giovanni Direct leave in, and Avocado Oil.

Goal: SL

My reggie was the one I had while transitioning. Should I keep it or totally change it? I do plan to experiment as much as I can with different products but I'm wondering should I go in a whole different direction now that its all natural.

Welcome Lynn44. Congratulations on your BC.

Keep your regimen and see how it works out. Change the pieces that need to be changed as you run across them. What is your regi and what are you using? Maybe we can make some suggestions.

faithVA

@faithVA cosign! I cant do overnight DCs either. My scalp would he no bueno :nono: itch city.

@prettybyrd did u GHE with any products in particular?

I thought it was just me. I've tried it several times and my scalp itches the entire time. My scalp itches when its wet doesn't matter if there is nothing on it. I sleep so poorly when I do it because I am just miserable :lol:

faithVA

I thought I would be struggling with the way my hair looks but I'm not. I have been doing flat twist at night to keep it stretched. But I'm already starting to complain (to myself :lol: and now you) about how long this takes and having to do it every night. I really don't want a fro because it is so tight to my head. I am going on vacation next week and really don't want to have to flat twist my hair every night while I'm gone. My hair doesn't stay stretched so by the end of the day it has shrunken again. :sad:

I'm just venting but if anyone has any suggestions I am open.

prettybyrd

APrayer4Hair, I used JBCO. Although there were times that I just put the cap on and went about my business. :)

I used JBCO for my edges, but I think that as long as you create the greenhouse for your hair you should be fine. Using it without adding a lot of products and on dry hair may help to reduce your itching.

When I first learned about baggying, I thought that people were baggying with wet hair. After a week my nape was raw and sore, it itched like crazy. I swore off baggying until someone else wrote about GHE and I've had success with that.

prettybyrd

I thought I would be struggling with the way my hair looks but I'm not. I have been doing flat twist at night to keep it stretched. But I'm already starting to complain (to myself :lol: and now you) about how long this takes and having to do it every night. I really don't want a fro because it is so tight to my head. I am going on vacation next week and really don't want to have to flat twist my hair every night while I'm gone. My hair doesn't stay stretched so by the end of the day it has shrunken again. :sad:

I'm just venting but if anyone has any suggestions I am open.

faithVA, can you do bantu knots?

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
faithVA and prettybyrd I watched the yt of the girl who created the ghe. Can't link from this phone. Will do later.

The ghe is not just about creating steam. its about increasing and retaining sebum which makes the hair grow. She encourages baggying while working out or doing anything that makes you sweat which also contains sebum.

My ghe last night was an epic fail. I sleep too wild. Nothin was on my head when I woke up. :lachen: this is why I gave up night scarves and use satin pillow cases. :) I will try it after work and at workouts instead.

nik4jesus

HI
I BC 6/2012 , I cowash almost everyday and shampoo 1x week. Not 100% sure about my hair type..3/b and 3c with sum 4a in the middle LOL. I use Coconut oil and whatever oils I have at the time almost every night and I use Shea Moisture curling smoothie mixed with ecostyler for my curls. I just put in synthetic box braids..

prettybyrd

@faithVA and @prettybyrd I watched the yt of the girl who created the ghe. Can't link from this phone. Will do later.

The ghe is not just about creating steam. its about increasing and retaining sebum which makes the hair grow. She encourages baggying while working out or doing anything that makes you sweat which also contains sebum.

My ghe last night was an epic fail. I sleep too wild. Nothin was on my head when I woke up. :lachen: this is why I gave up night scarves and use satin pillow cases. :) I will try it after work and at workouts instead.

DarkJoy, I'm sorry that didn't work out for you. Baggying while working out is great, though! That's how I DC.

kupenda

Hi ladies! These are pics of my twists and today's twist out. I massaged with sulfur 8 grease and my castor oil mix as my prepoo and will shampoo with Nexxus Therappe (I'm surprised at how much my hair loves this), do a black tea rinse, and DC with ORS hair repair mixed with coconut and jojoba oil and a little bit of AOHSR (my hair seems to no longer like it)

image-1653940738.jpg

image-1794933677.jpg

image-59458537.jpg

kupenda

I love GHE'ing! My family makes fun of me for walking around with a plastic cap on so I haven't done it lately. But that whole 1 inch a month thing, I will SURELY get back on it!

faithVA

Hi ladies! These are pics of my twists and today's twist out. I massaged with sulfur 8 grease and my castor oil mix as my prepoo and will shampoo with Nexxus Therappe (I'm surprised at how much my hair loves this), do a black tea rinse, and DC with ORS hair repair mixed with coconut and jojoba oil and a little bit of AOHSR (my hair seems to no longer like it)

Cute, cute, cute!

How long does it take you to twist your hair up?

kupenda

faithVA thank you :)
I've only done it once, but it took almost three hours because I was trying to find which product gave the best hold, experimenting with wet vs dry hair, deciding on if I should detangle or not, etc. I had to keep making adjustments for my hair types. And redo some of the straighter bits. But I'm gonna twist again tomorrow so I will let you know how long it takes

faithVA

Ok change of plans, no bantu knots. I bought the Burt Bees Shiny Hair conditioner as used that as my leave-in tonight. I tried a circular motion curl defining technique tonight. So letting it dry and let's see if its wearable. If it is then i will have a goto style while on vacation. :yay:

If it doesn't work then I will be back to twisting again.

I was concerned that I hadn't gotten all of my damaged ends of. But I talk to the hair analyst and she said I could just take care of them in 6 weeks :yay:

faithVA

@kupenda LOVE IT!!

@faithVA lemme know how the quick coils turn out

Meh, My hair doesn't really clump. When wet it did look better than just letting it be. Then it dried. It still looked nice this morning but it was 1/4" high after the shrinkage. It was sort of cute though but not in a wear to work kind of way :lol: I probably would have worn it that way on the weekend though.

I took the pick to try to lift it up but it keeps shriveling back to my head. On a scale of 1 to 10 its a 5.5. I put a head band on and wore it to work. I guess my only real issue is that the shrinkage is too major. So I have a really short fro. On the positive side, it is a very pretty 4b fro.

I am having mixed feelings :lol:

Lynn84

Welcome @Lynn44. Congratulations on your BC.

Keep your regimen and see how it works out. Change the pieces that need to be changed as you run across them. What is your regi and what are you using? Maybe we can make some suggestions.

I'm cowashing twice a week with Everyday Shea conditioner. I'm almost out of that so I've been thinking about switching to WEN. My DC is Biolage Conditioning Balm and I DC once a week. The leave in I'm using is Giovanni Direct and I seal with avocado oil and let my hair airdry.

So far it seems to be going well. I can't wait until I have a lil puff :grin:.

faithVA

I would join you @Prayer4Hair, but this week and next I'm cowashing every day in the evenings.

faithVA

If anyone noticed that I cut my hair, they didn't say anthing. Only my boss and 1 coworker said anything :blush: I'm cool with it.

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
well, I *think* a curl is looser than a coil. I kind of think of a coil as the old skool term "nap". Very very tight curl that looks like a tight spring.

faithVA

Silly question: what is the diff btw and curl and a coil?

I have coils. They are curls but they are very, very small in diameter. They are so small sometimes they don't look like curls. And because they are so small they shrink.

As DarkJoy said they look like the springs in ballpoint pins.

APrayer4Hair

I'm trying GHE for the first time tonight. I applied a little hair trigger to my scalp, covered with a shower cap, du rag, and bonnet. I'm off to watch the rest of the video.