CHALLENGE!! I NEED 3 INCHES OF GROWTH BY NOV - HELP!!

Lindy

Ladies, I need your help!! My SO recently saw a picture of me when my hair was longer. He loved the pic, so I told him that I would try to grow my hair back to that length. Well, as an incentive, he told me that if I can get my hair back to that length by my b-day (in Mid November) then he will take me to Hawaii for a week!! :drunk:

This means that I need at least 3 inches in 6 months. Is this do-able?? And is there any kind of supplement I could get that might assist me in attaining this goal?? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

loulou82

Smells like a challenge! (j/k)

1. Are you willing to protective style for 6 months? Buns, braids, updos, etc.
2. What is your regimen?
3. Do you exercise?
4. Do you have a protein-rich diet?
5. Do you drink a large amount of water per day (40 oz or more)?
6. Can you limit heating appliances like blowdryers and flat irons?
7. If you're looking for supplements/vitamins it may take up to 3 months for them to have a visible effect on your body. The usual suspects are a general multi, Biotin, and MSM.

Reaching your goal is going to come down to retaining each inch your grow. Keep your hair hydrated, protected, strengthened, and limit manipulation and you show definitely see the result. GL!

Austro-Afrikana

Your hair can easily grow 3 inches in 6months, the challenge will be retaining it so think about what loulou said. She's spot on

Lindy

Yes I do exercise 3x a week; my diet isn't totally great, but I try to eat as healthy as possible. I try to drink water, but to be honest, I've been slacking lately on the water intake.

At one point I was taking MSM and Biotin and although it was during the time that my hair was at it's longest, I'm not sure if the health of my hair at that time can be attributed to the supplements. However, I guess it can't hurt to start taking them again.

I'm not willing to do buns/protective styling for the next 6 months. During the summer I do a lot of twistouts and buns, but I do like to do rollersets sometimes as well. I NEVER use the blowdryer or flatiron. Well, with the exception of when I get my touchups, then my stylist blows my hair out after the rollerset.

And speaking of my stylist, I'm going to have to enlist his help in this effort. I know that if he goes crazy with the trimming (every 10/12 weeks at touchup), I will not meet my goal!! :perplexed

jetbeauty09

Not sure if this is considered a protective style for you but what about getting braids for a couple weeks- couple months?

LushLox

0.5 is the general average, so if you get this consistently and can retain the length you should be able to do it!

Carrie A

I guess that was worth repeating

:grin: I know it's extra but in some people's minds trimming registers differently than length retention. It's like if I don't trim my ends will break off or I had a set back and I had to cut 3 inches. Huh?

One poor girl asked why her hair wasn't growing past x when she kept her hair healthy and protected her ends by trimming .5 inches a month. :perplexed

lilsparkle825

the board is trippin today, i'm seeing a lot of double posts. not just in this thread.

i second the braids idea...my hair grows fast but from putting it up for a month i got maximum retention. if you can't do that, i think keeping it as moist/wet as possible is another great way to go.

kandake

:grin: I know it's extra but in some people's minds trimming registers differently than length retention. It's like if I don't trim my ends will break off or I had a set back and I had to cut 3 inches. Huh?

One poor girl asked why her hair wasn't growing past x when she kept her hair healthy and protected her ends by trimming .5 inches a month. :perplexed

Girl, I was just teasing you because you have a double post.

But I agree with what you mentioned above.

Carrie A

Girl, I was just teasing you because you have a double post.

But I agree with what you mentioned above.

:lachen::lachen::lachen:Oh cra& I didn't even notice that. I was thinking you meant me saying no trimming vs length retention. OK let me delete one.

Angelicus

Hey Lindy (long time no see). Of course you can easily get three inches by November. It's almost summer time-- that's when our hair grows the fastest. I already know you can do it.

Lindy

Thank you all for the votes of confidence!! I wish I was so sure that I could do this!! :look: To comment on some of your posts, I don't like how braids look on me, and my stylist is NOT going to agree to "NO TRIMMING AT TOUCHUPS". I've already tried that with him and it doesn't fly... :perplexed

If anyone cares to join me in this challenge, PLEASE DO!! This weekend I'm going to take some wet hair pics so I can track my monthly progress here on the boards. :yep:

I'm going to start taking my MSM and Biotin again, and also, I haven't purchased any new products in quite a while (still using up my supply from my PJ days!!) :blush: I've been reading the HAIRVEDA thread and I think I'm going to purchase some of those products... they sound wonderful!! :drunk: Also, I did buy small sizes of WEN a few months ago so I think I will try "WENNING" this summer. :yep:

Please keep the suggestions coming... It's been a while since I've had time to read these boards and I'm not up on the new and fabulous products and hair growth techniques!! :spinning:

vkb247

Girl it is your hair not your stylists! 3 inches in 6 months is regular growth but if you even trim 1/4 of an inch than you are not going to be 3 inches longer unless you get a growth spurt.

Trim or Hawaii? Not even a choice for me but I am also a non-trimmer so...

2themax

Note: They're a bit pricey, but I've only been taking them for 3 months now and have begun to see better hair growth. My hair is also much more healthier. The info on the bottle says that one should begin to see results in 4 - 8 weeks. I guess it depends on the person. Not only does it assist with hair growth, but it also helps with other health issues. See below.........

Ridgecrest Herbals Hair Revive 5 Natural Defense 120 Capsules Formula

Product Review: Hair ReVive 5 can help reduce daily hair loss, grow thicker and fuller hair, grow hair faster and longer, and reduce hair damage. Hair loss in women has five major causes: inadequate nutrition, physical or emotional stress, thyroid levels, DHT buildup in follicles, and side effects of medication. Hair ReVive 5 is a nutritional, herbal, and homeophathic formula that addresses all five major causes of hair loss. Hair ReVive 5's unique combination of nutrients and medicinals that work together at the root of the problem - the follicles. Stress Nutrition Complex - minimizes the adverse effects of stress by supplying vitamins and minerals that are critical to health under stress. Hair Growth Complex - N-acetyl-cysteine is the most bioavailable form of cysteine, a key building block for healthy hair. Bioflavonoids help the body absorp nutrients. Horsetail, nettle, and bamboo all contain silica, an important building block of hair. Hormone Balancing Complex - includes beta si

msa

Thank you all for the votes of confidence!! I wish I was so sure that I could do this!! :look: To comment on some of your posts, I don't like how braids look on me, and my stylist is NOT going to agree to "NO TRIMMING AT TOUCHUPS". I've already tried that with him and it doesn't fly... :perplexed

I'm with vkb on this one. It's your hair. If you don't want to trim, then don't.

Also, if you get the regular .5in per month and then get a trim every touchup, your stylist is just going to trim off all your progress. You definitely won't retain 3 inches with trimming.

I suggest you tell him no trims. Wait until you get your 3 inches, meet your challenge, and trim when you come back from hawaii.

2themax

^ how many capsules do you take, bottle recommends 2-4 daily.

2 capsules 2 times a day (equalling 4 a day). Girl I'm so desperate, I called the manufacturer and asked if I could take more than 4 a day and if it would improve my growth even more. He said that would be fine and unharmful to me, but much more than that would be overkill. Also I was told that it works so good that when you reach your growth potential, you could start taking only 2 a day to retain the length. Once you stop taking them, your hair would go back to its normal growth pattern. Now my hair is also VERY shiny and has more bounce to it then it ever has. Before it was a big, dull, dry mess! When I reach my goal I'll be posting some pics!

Lindy

Thanks for the recommendations on the hair vitamins. I'm going to try them!! :yep:

Quick update: I went for my relaxer touchup yesterday. I told my stylist about Hawaii and he did trim my hair but hardly at all. I probably will not let him trim it again until after Hawaii!! :grin: